Reminder: Clocks Change Tonight

UlaVii

mired ???????????

Yes, in the sense of involved, entangled, hindered rather than a bog or marsh. Although, "bogged down" certainly applies. Contrary to the popular notion, Daylight Saving Time does very little for energy savings, as is often claimed, and has absolutely nothing to do with farmers (another oft cited but fallacious claim). DST is also associated with an increase in heart attacks, auto accidents, and a loss in work productivity, all largely due to the sleep disruption of the time change. The only real advantage to DST is to retailers, who are the most vociferous lobby, at least in the US but likely elsewhere, as well, in favor of continuing the tradition.

and it endangers children waiting on the bus for school -- at least 12 months of it did (waiting for the bus in the dark);

supposedly, that is why the US decided not to have it all year -- wish it would just go away or that I lived in Arizona where they never change the clocks

It's great when you're at home and you get an extra hour in bed, not so if you are in work, and have to stay an extra hour :eek:

The reverse is true too, when at home and they go forward, it sucks as you lose sleep, but great when in work, and you work less. :)

Best option is to fix the days your in, so you get the extra hour in bed, and the less hour in work ;) lol

Not for the US, though. We remain mired in Daylight Saving Time until 1 November.

Nothing truer posted.

And there are ppl who want this made full time. And you know what will happen the following first sunday in June after they change to saving time all year, they will have a new daylight saving time and set your clock back another hour

Yes, in the sense of involved, entangled, hindered rather than a bog or marsh. Although, "bogged down" certainly applies. Contrary to the popular notion, Daylight Saving Time does very little for energy savings, as is often claimed, and has absolutely nothing to do with farmers (another oft cited but fallacious claim). DST is also associated with an increase in heart attacks, auto accidents, and a loss in work productivity, all largely due to the sleep disruption of the time change. The only real advantage to DST is to retailers, who are the most vociferous lobby, at least in the US but likely elsewhere, as well, in favor of continuing the tradition.

LOL.

Here I was thinking I should be concerned with how I'm going to pay my bills from month to month since I only make half the disability of other people because at the time I got my disability I didn't have the right amount of points, whatever that means. and I also was thinking to myself my wife losing her ability to work due to injury means we have some challenges right now. I have to say you really opened my eyes by showing me just how detrimental it is to set your clocks twice a year. Though you did leave out the part that not the entire United States observes daylight savings time. First world problems I guess. My point is don't sweat the small stuff. Also maybe save words that are intended to add gravity to a situation for situations that should actually have gravity added to them.

LOL.

Here I was thinking I should be concerned with how I'm going to pay my bills from month to month since I only make half the disability of other people because at the time I got my disability I didn't have the right amount of points, whatever that means. and I also was thinking to myself my wife losing her ability to work due to injury means we have some challenges right now. I have to say you really opened my eyes by showing me just how detrimental it is to set your clocks twice a year. Though you did leave out the part that not the entire United States observes daylight savings time. First world problems I guess. My point is don't sweat the small stuff. Also maybe save words that are intended to add gravity to a situation for situations that should actually have gravity added to them.

I do not normally reveal such intimate details about myself, but I will say that I am more than a couple decades away from retirement age and am already well familiar with the bureaucracies of which you speak. I am sorry you are having a difficult time during this pandemic, but you are not the only one. My issues go back thirty years. A necessity to wear a mask when in public is nothing new to me. It is not a competition.

You say not to sweat the small stuff, and yet you are trying to make an issue of descriptive language. Perhaps you should take your own advice.

I do not normally reveal such intimate details about myself, but I will say that I am more than a couple decades away from retirement age and am already well familiar with the bureaucracies of which you speak. I am sorry you are having a difficult time during this pandemic, but you are not the only one. My issues go back thirty years. A necessity to wear a mask when in public is nothing new to me. It is not a competition.

You say not to sweat the small stuff, and yet you are trying to make an issue of descriptive language. Perhaps you should take your own advice.

You presented American daylight savings time as some arduous undertaking to be scorned. I simply pointed out that your Overly dramatic misrepresentation was unwarranted. I Illustrated through my own life experience that there are things that actually matter in life and we should be careful about presenting things to be more than what they are. as for a competition. I'm not in a competition. your response where you tell me that you have a similar understanding to my personal situation appears as though you're trying to turn something into a competition that has absolutely nothing to do with the fact and it is a fact daylight savings time as I said above it's not some arduous undertaking around the neck of American citizens. As for taking my own advice. I do take my own advice and I don't consider the gravity of words a small thing. especially at a time when many people take those words to heart without doing their own due diligence.

You presented American daylight savings time as some arduous undertaking to be scorned. I simply pointed out that your Overly dramatic misrepresentation was unwarranted. I Illustrated through my own life experience that there are things that actually matter in life and we should be careful about presenting things to be more than what they are. as for a competition. I'm not in a competition. your response where you tell me that you have a similar understanding to my personal situation appears as though you're trying to turn something into a competition that has absolutely nothing to do with the fact and it is a fact daylight savings time as I said above it's not some arduous undertaking around the neck of American citizens. As for taking my own advice. I do take my own advice and I don't consider the gravity of words a small thing. especially at a time when many people take those words to heart without doing their own due diligence.

I did not use the work arduous. I said mired. Mired, as I said, meaning entangle, involved. An apt word. Until 1 November the US (sans the majority of Arizona and the State of Hawaii) is still under Daylight Saving (no 's) Time. You used the word arduous. Arduous, something that demands great effort, a difficult undertaking, strenuous, or marked by great effort. Which one of us is being less careful with the gravity of our language? I think it is time you stop making an issue out of something of so little import, and stop derailing the thread.

Edited by ceryxp

I did not use the work arduous. I said mired. Mired, as I said, meaning entangle, involved. An apt word. Until 1 November the US (sans the majority of Arizona and the State of Hawaii) is still under Daylight Saving (no 's) Time. You used the word arduous. Arduous, something that demands great effort, a difficult undertaking, strenuous, or marked by great effort. Which one of us is being less careful with the gravity of our language? I think it is time you stop making an issue out of something of so little import, and stop derailing the thread.

Wow! Just wow! I never said you use the word arduous. I said your descriptive was overly dramatic. no mired is not an appropriate word when describing daylight savings time. Mired can be appropriate when describing political scandals. Mired can be appropriate when describing go nowhere Wars that benefit no one. Mired is absolutely 1000% not appropriate in the context in which you used it. As for what you think concerning me, you're welcome to think what you like. Thankfully, I'm under no obligation to abide by what you think. Have a nice day.

Edited by ElectroFidgit

Actually, it's very beneficial to construction workers and other outdoor labor occupations that have to adhere to general noise ordinances, but want employees to benefit from cooler temperatures (for health, safety, and efficiency reasons) provided early in the morning in hot summer climates. Residents don't want to listen to noise earlier than what is reasonable and without daylight savings in the summer, workers would be wasting that 1st hour of daylight where the temperatures are the coolest and in order to get their 8 hours they would be getting their final hour in the hottest, most dangerous hour of the day.

actually, it's very beneficial to construction workers and other outdoor labor occupations that have to adhere to general noise ordinances, but want employees to benefit from cooler temperatures (for health, safety, and efficiency reasons) provided early in the morning in hot summer climates. Residents don't want to listen to noise earlier than what is reasonable and without daylight savings in the summer, workers would be wasting that 1st hour of daylight where the temperatures are the coolest and in order to get their 8 hours they would be getting their final hour in the hottest, most dangerous hour of the day.

:) :) :) :) :)

Actually, it's very beneficial to construction workers and other outdoor labor occupations that have to adhere to general noise ordinances, but want employees to benefit from cooler temperatures (for health, safety, and efficiency reasons) provided early in the morning in hot summer climates. Residents don't want to listen to noise earlier than what is reasonable and without daylight savings in the summer, workers would be wasting that 1st hour of daylight where the temperatures are the coolest and in order to get their 8 hours they would be getting their final hour in the hottest, most dangerous hour of the day.

I can understand that, but what about Arizona? Arizona records some of the highest temperatures in the country but does not observe Daylight Saving Time. I have never worked in construction, what hours are we talking about?

I can understand that, but what about Arizona? Arizona records some of the highest temperatures in the country but does not observe Daylight Saving Time. I have never worked in construction, what hours are we talking about?

Hello from Phoenix, in a career that involves a lot of working outside. I still like not having to change my time every 6 months. No DST for the win!

Hello from Phoenix, in a career that involves a lot of working outside. I still like not having to change my time every 6 months. No DST for the win!

Hello from foothills of Tucson!

It does have some minor impact on me since I have to deal (a lot) with colleagues on the East Coast. I have a regularly scheduled weekly conference call, but this means I can sleep until 8 a.m.!

Woot! But, yes, not having to change clocks is a welcome bonus.

Dasty

P.S. I have family in Phoenix. Please tell me you aren't dating any of them. That would just be, well, creepy. :rak_03:

P.P.S. As for the studies about which industries benefit from DST, that's a quagmire. Some do / some don't.

Edited by Jdast