Please Add Settings To Turn Off Other Players Battle Effects

Alduinsm

It would *help*. I'm not sure about "greatly". A big part of the FPS drops comes from the mere *presence* of other players - wander around Fleet on a day when people aren't spamming abilities all over the place, and you'll see.

I'd also suggest that SWTOR ability effects are essentially nothing at all.

This comes from "Live" GW2, a day or two after the game was released, with effects from maybe a dozen players: https://i.imgur.com/qCrntfJ.jpg

+0.5

While nice, reducing 'battle effects' should take a backseat to actual handicap issues like settings to assist with colorblindness.

Depends. If the effects are too "strobey flashing lights", they might cause difficulties for some people with epilepsy, which probably counts as a disability issue.

Depends. If the effects are too "strobey flashing lights", they might cause difficulties for some people with epilepsy, which probably counts as a disability issue.

in that light, yes. as the OP presents it, no.

not saying its not a good idea, just not as high on the priority as others should be. but the devs will do whatever their screwball priority system tells them to regardless...

Edited by Kaveat

It would *help*. I'm not sure about "greatly". A big part of the FPS drops comes from the mere *presence* of other players - wander around Fleet on a day when people aren't spamming abilities all over the place, and you'll see.

I'd also suggest that SWTOR ability effects are essentially nothing at all.

This comes from "Live" GW2, a day or two after the game was released, with effects from maybe a dozen players: https://i.imgur.com/qCrntfJ.jpg

Precisely this, while battle effect can take an effect on my ancient computer if I'm doing a 16-man Dxun for instance. The FPS will be terrible regardless of whether or not someone is into combat or not.

in that light, yes. as the OP presents it, no.

not saying its not a good idea, just not as high on the priority as others should be. but the devs will do whatever their screwball priority system tells them to regardless...

Dunno. Battle effects causing people to have epileptic fits sounds pretty serious to me.

Not seen the issue myself, but would be clever if the game checked fps periodically and temporarily reduced settings if needed. I'd start with anti aliasing myself. Tends to have a far bigger performance hit than people give it credit for, and the most negligable visual impact.

Perhaps when you log in, immediately check fps then every few mins check again, retaining the lowest number on your account. When you next log in, if your fps was poor, mention it and propose changing some of your settings. This takes the management aspect away from the less savvy players too.

Edited by simonxxx

Not seen the issue myself, but would be clever if the game checked fps periodically and temporarily reduced settings if needed.

How complicated would that be to program in, and what's the likelihood of it causing bugs. A setting to turn off other peoples effect might be easier.

*Not a programmer, so it's just a thought, not a professional opinion...lol

Dunno. Battle effects causing people to have epileptic fits sounds pretty serious to me.

your point was conceded on your notation, don't be a scrub when you already got the point

The OP's position however is not. Their reasons not withstanding, they are asking others to do more work to compensate for their own lack. Which, again, might be a nice option to have, but would not be overly high on my priority list on the merit they provided.

The OP's position however is not. Their reasons not withstanding, they are asking others to do more work to compensate for their own lack. Which, again, might be a nice option to have, but would not be overly high on my priority list on the merit they provided.

At the end of the day, it'll probably come down to whether BW think enough people will use it, to warrant them doing it, and if it isn't too much work. Unfortunately only BW can answer that, and alas they never do on the forums /shrug