I was wondering...

Bow-Wow-Wow

Why is it that everyone in the Empire has a British/Irish/Scottish accent and everyone in the Republic seems to have a New York/ Canadian accent? I didn't really notice this untill recently but if these civilizations are spread across multiple planets, wouldn't it make sense for everyone of the same faction to not have the same accent?

IMO I think it is just a star wars thing that was started in the first trilogy simple as that.

Is correct.

From what I understand, Lucas tried to base the Galactic Empire on the British Empire (with some obvious inspiration from Nazi Germany and Ancient Rome thrown in too), hence the characters associated with it had adopted British accents.

This then became a cultural norm within the Star Wars universe where your typical 'bad guys' would adopt British accents. Not sure why everyone else sounds North American though, could have thrown in some other accents too to keep things varied.

Why is it that everyone in the Empire has a British/Irish/Scottish accent and everyone in the Republic seems to have a New York/ Canadian accent? I didn't really notice this untill recently but if these civilizations are spread across multiple planets, wouldn't it make sense for everyone of the same faction to not have the same accent?

They refer to it in the game as the Imperial Accent.

Also.

It does seem to be a throwback to the movies, where the Death Star was full of British sounding people.

Edit: From TV Tropes

• Star Wars, although that was more incidental, since union rules for British films at the time required a minimum number of speaking parts for British actors, so a lot were cast as Imperial officers. A few sources claim that the upper-class English accent is the default accent on Coruscant.

◦ The late Peter Cushing (Grand Moff Tarkin), who actually played mostly good guys in his career — including Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Who in Dr. Who and the Daleks and Daleks' Invasion Earth 2150 A.D..

■ In fact all major bad guys were played by Brits, The Emperor (Ian Mc Diarmid is Scottish), Darth Vader (although not his voice actor, as the voice of David Prowse was too west-country, earning him the nickname Darth Farmer), Count Dooku, and even Darth Maul (London-based Scot Ray Park's voice was dubbed by British voice-actor and comedian Peter Serafinowicz).

◦ A good number of good guys in Star Wars have British accents, however. Obi-Wan (Alec Guinness and Ewan McGregor), C-3PO (Anthony Daniels), and Qui-Gon (Liam Neeson).

Edited by Viera