~[Video]~ How to Merc 2.0

Nightkin

Hello everyone!

With the growing numbers of Commandos and Mercs in the lower tiers i thought i would showcase a little of the Mercs versatility and what we can do in tight situations. I confess im not perfect, i make mistakes- you are free to point them out to me and i will do my best to remedy my mistakes for the future.

But anyway, here it is!

A guide of sorts for new mandalorians in swtor :csw_fett:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cUs7WVtaBY&fmt=18

And in the interest of making the mando community ever slightly better i would also like to link Zacharias pvp channel, my mentor if you will in the ways of the class. His channel can be found here : http://www.youtube.com/user/ZachariahPvP

First off, glad to see someone else loves the C&C Red Alert sound track. Lots of things you did well in this vid, including good use of cleanse and root on rocket punch. Ignore the 'unbind the S key' people. I did this on a toon and honestly, it's more annoying than anything.

Thanks for the shoutout :D

Loved the vid, should be required watching for any new merc/mando trying to get a feel for a role in huttball. I *love* playing that fullback offensive blocker type role. Not much glory, few scores, but with the added mobility of hydraulic overrides, we can now really make a difference and serve in that position very well.

I saw you use chaff at least once. I've personally knocked this ability and was on the verge of dropping the skill points but it has finally begun to 'click' for me (in much the same way as stealth scan does when you learn timing and positioning). I still think it could use improvement, but you can soak up the odd big attack when you most need it.

On the 'S' key debate, try it or don't, It's an extra key to bind an ability on though :) I currently have it set to sweeping blasters for easy access to quick aoe for door caps, but I'm probably going to swap it for kolto missile which is on a somewhat clunky ctrl-mousebutton4. I really need more buttons :D

Your off-healing puts mine to shame, good job :D

Edited by Jherad

i tried spec'ing into chaff flare for a while, and just didnt feel it. its either really buggy, or is eating DoT damage which is the suck. i would hit the skill, then get hit with a force/tech attack. it felt like it almost had a few seconds delay between activation and actually absorbing something.

i tried spec'ing into chaff flare for a while, and just didnt feel it. its either really buggy, or is eating DoT damage which is the suck. i would hit the skill, then get hit with a force/tech attack. it felt like it almost had a few seconds delay between activation and actually absorbing something.
Yeah it can be difficult to time it right, but i cannot count the amount of force screams or thunderingblasts ive simply absorbed, wich in the end have made me the winner of the fight. Or when a SIN opens up on you, you know he has recklessnes and a discharge/shock combo lined up right after maul. This way you cut his opener in half, giving you a chance to recover.

I wish it was better, i wish it could work more like force shroud but i make do with what we got and it does make a difference.

I'm pretty sure its not eating dot damage, but it does eat single ticks of lightning/pebbles, and worse - I have a sneaking suspicion (albeit untested) that it is eating relic damage procs (which if is the case is going to really be a problem after next patch when few people are double stacking SA).

But yeah, timing, and knowing who to use it against, is everything. I just wish it had a much longer duration (it is reeeeeally short) and only swallowed hits over say 3k.

Nice video, i liked it!

but it was played against poor team, u felt no pressing at all, no melees keeping you busy half the game, so i can sum it up you had too much freedom :D because i didnt notice power surge heals, or crazy kiting against half a team :D

and i wonder where r concussion missile, fusion missile and v-6 seismic nade?

p.s. no offence, mate, it is an exemplar video, must see for people starting arsenal/gunnery.

Edited by Akfourtys

Nice video, i liked it!

but it was played against poor team, u felt no pressing at all, no melees keeping you busy half the game, so i can sum it up you had too much freedom :D b

This part is actually very interesting since its a comment or a whisper i get about pretty much every video i have made-

"You dont get focused, thats why you do well" , see the thing is, avoid the cluster of enemy attention to begin with and you will not get focused, end of story. Sometimes you get trained by melee but we have escapes now, especially in huttball that makes us too much of a annoyance to chase.

Take a look at any of my merc videos, even though most are pre 2.0 and you will see the same thing, avoid being prime focus, never be the obvious target, hide in plain sight and move in and out, behind and infront your own team members to confuse your enemies.

90% of the players you face on a day to day basis just tab target and such tactics as i try to present here confuses them to no end.

And the comment about conq missile, fusion missile and stun ´nades, well i have em all and i tend to use them alot- when the situation calls for it :)

And no offence taken mate!

I always agreed that proper positioning is the key to arsenal pvp and im with you about that.

but save someone by urgent heal - and you get a mark, kill some pesky marauder or sentinel with electro net humiliation - and hes trying to revenge all the time he sees you, put someone into sleep and help to capture enemy pylon - and you got their attention also.

I just need ninja button, clearing any marks from my *** :D

p.s. Lamefish shot 11900 biggest hit, dude :rolleyes:

I always agreed that proper positioning is the key to arsenal pvp and im with you about that.

but save someone by urgent heal - and you get a mark, kill some pesky marauder or sentinel with electro net humiliation - and hes trying to revenge all the time he sees you, put someone into sleep and help to capture enemy pylon - and you got their attention also.

I just need ninja button, clearing any marks from my *** :D

p.s. Lamefish shot 11900 biggest hit, dude :rolleyes:

Deathmark players can be both annoying and hillarious if you manage to tease them further, done it time and time again.

Biggest hit, well i think mine is at 10,300 but thats AFTER augment glitch era and well tbh, if you get some random newbie who runs around in old centurion gear who you can shoot, and not to mention double power proc relics at the right time (wich apparently also is a bug), what i mean to say is that biggest crits so far is a combination of bugs and exploits (not saying lamefish did that though) but the amount of bugs makes me kinda...ignore high crits other people have done ;)

Thanks for the shoutout :D

Loved the vid, should be required watching for any new merc/mando trying to get a feel for a role in huttball. I *love* playing that fullback offensive blocker type role. Not much glory, few scores, but with the added mobility of hydraulic overrides, we can now really make a difference and serve in that position very well.

I saw you use chaff at least once. I've personally knocked this ability and was on the verge of dropping the skill points but it has finally begun to 'click' for me (in much the same way as stealth scan does when you learn timing and positioning). I still think it could use improvement, but you can soak up the odd big attack when you most need it.

On the 'S' key debate, try it or don't, It's an extra key to bind an ability on though :) I currently have it set to sweeping blasters for easy access to quick aoe for door caps, but I'm probably going to swap it for kolto missile which is on a somewhat clunky ctrl-mousebutton4. I really need more buttons :D

Your off-healing puts mine to shame, good job :D

Im happy you enjoyed the video Zach, chaff/stealthscan and offheals is something that overall seems to be above and beyond what most mercs/mandos bother with wich is a shame and what i try to highlight a bit, we have some important tools but very few of us actually take the time to learn how to use them!

Im happy you enjoyed the video Zach, chaff/stealthscan and offheals is something that overall seems to be above and beyond what most mercs/mandos bother with wich is a shame and what i try to highlight a bit, we have some important tools but very few of us actually take the time to learn how to use them!

Well, I personally will never unbind S, because the most of my keybinds are on my Razer Naga mouse, and when clicking them, mouseturning can be a bit hard. So I have to resort on backpedal, which is a shame... Well, sometime I might even get the chaff thing, but I really didn't use it... Shame on me ;)

When on forums appears players videos of their "skill" playing some class, its just means what that class is OP. :rolleyes:

Wait...wha...what the...all this experience "Guardian vr 92 | Scoundrel vr 87 | Sentinel vr 77 | Vanguard vr 70 | Shadow vr 60 | 2500+ wins" and you dare call Mercs OP?! Troll-award of the year

Wait...wha...what the...all this experience "Guardian vr 92 | Scoundrel vr 87 | Sentinel vr 77 | Vanguard vr 70 | Shadow vr 60 | 2500+ wins" and you dare call Mercs OP?! Troll-award of the year

Mercs are near to OP dude. They are better than any dps scoundrels, vanguards, guardians (yes, ever focus guardians), sorcs. Cuz they have burst. Ranged burst. And good survivability, thanks self healing.

They are now in same division with snipers, maras and sins.

If you still dont understand this, it means what you are simply bad :o

Mercs are near to OP dude. They are better than any dps scoundrels, vanguards, guardians (yes, ever focus guardians), sorcs. Cuz they have burst. Ranged burst. And good survivability, thanks self healing.

I can't even begin to start countering all those points because there's just too many ways to do it. I'll assume 0/10 would not be trolled by again, because I still have faith in humanity and I refuse to believe that post is real

I think Mercs are ok now, they hold their own even in rateds but it requires extraordinary care to not get pugstomped by any halfdecent melee player. Why are mercs so rare in rateds? Its not only their old stigma that hold them back, the class is very difficult to do well on. Under pressure Mercs have little to offer in the way of dps. But seeing as you are either a troll or one of the worst players on your server i doubt you care to listen to any arguements.

Calling me bad, i ought to slap you :p