PVP Tanks

JoshuaLyons

I'm a level 50 Powertech Tank, I want to see how people tank with all classes, their skill tree build and their best and/or avg stats in a pvp matches, preferably damage and protection points.

Best: 191k dmg, 287k protection

Avg: 140k dmg, 200k protection

Build: 30/11/0 http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GMGrdzroGZMsbMo.2

- I concentrate getting the greatest amount of damage reduction, while outputting the rest of the skill points into high damaging moves: Rail Shot, Rocket Punch and Rectractable Blade.

- When in a match always put shield on healer and switch between if they are more than one when they are getting damaged and put it on a dps if they are getting hit hard and the healers aren't. Use Grapple on a people attacking healers and stun them with Electro Dart. Always taunt when the moves are available, to lower enemy damage. AoE taunt an area of enemies, Explosive Dart, then Jet Charge into it use 1 of 2 free Flame Sweeps, Rocket Punch, Rail Shot, Retractable Blade, Carbonize, Flame Thrower, then the last free Flame Sweep. Move backwards while firing Rapid Shots, and repeat.

- Flame Sweep lowers damage by 5% for 15 seconds.

Anyone feel free to comment, question, or offer suggestions on this. I'm always looking to tweak it to make it better.

Edited by JoshuaLyons

You are running something very similar to what i use(28/11/2) however there are a few things I recommend you change.

1) take the point out of no escape and put it into neural overload, talents like no escape are only really useful if they are guareented to occur and No escape tends to be generally only useful in huttball while nueral overload can be useful anywhere and can be proced anythng that procs ion cell

2)take iron fist over rail loaders - for us tanks both rail shot and rocket punch hit about the same around 2k for me, but unlike rail shot rocket punch can be used more often due to the flame shield proc plus RP is tech and cannot be dodged or shielded and has a higher crit chance from your tree

3) get supercharged ion gas - its 25% damage increase to ion cell DoT damage guareentees that ion is applies by RS and provides AoE damage to boot. i got the point for that by removing one from flame surge as FS isnt a great damage ability and you only really need the one free FS to apply combust's damage reduction

4) also id recommend using the PvE supercommando's set bonus as increase duration on reactive shield and smoke grenade is way more useful than the 1.5 sec off your leaps cd and the 2% defense chance agaisnt all attacks (including force/tech) helps your surviveability by a ton. you can get armorings out of EWH belt for this (the belt has a way better mod than the bracers do - no need to grind out costly main set peices)

I want to see how people tank with all classes, their skill tree build and their best and/or avg stats in a pvp matches, preferably damage and protection points.

I'm an assassin and like to switch it up to tank at times.

Here's some things I like to do:

- Position to get as many enemies in my aoe taunt

- Keep single target taunt on a high dps

- If they have a dps player that I recognize to be a hard hitter I'll set him to my focus target and use my keybind to "Target focus target's target" and swap guard accordingly

- Keep an eye on where my teammates are, if someone is extended I'll swap guard to them in anticipation of him getting focused

- PEELS FO HEALS

- CCing enemy healers

- If I get my 75k damage medal I'm happy but that prot is where it's at

I think people don't appreciate tanks as much as they should :D.

#tanklife

http://www.pic-upload.de/view-18054032/Screenshot_2013-02-03_01_45_43_144000.jpg.html

18/23 Spec. That was a random BG, as we're still in progress to build a rated team...and I think that's where it's really at! I average 60-80k Dmg, and 150k-200k Protection, because....as you see, our sentinel did 550K and I mainly focus on debuffing enemies, CC and keeping my healer alive, so he can keep the rest of the team up! I seriously think, that Jugg/Guardian Tanks are the best for PvP, with all the defensive cooldowns, jumps and control they offer, they can protect much better than an Assassin (also have one, 350k Protection and 360k Dmg with him). I didn't try out, Vanguard/PT-Tank yet, but I'm in love with my Guardian right now ^____^ That moment, when you get the 75k Healing Done medal is also pretty awesome :'D

That is pro dude, you sir can pvp tank.

I have never seen a mil protection. What stats do you go for in your gear? I play guardian and my highest protection is just north of 500k pre 1.4 but I see now that you would take a dump on that. I'm glad to see your informative posts. I play a op healer now but looking to tank again, this will be my new goal. How much expertise do you have btw? And what do you think is important in next lvl tanking?

Edited by Neight

I know nothing about PT tanks since there are NONE on my server.

But otherwise:

Juggs - best for protecting "in combat" due to their leaps they can keep up with kiting healers much better and their dmg migation is best, also spamable slow and number of defensive CDs and CCs.

Assasins - best for stalling and guarding nodes due to stealth. They got more HP than any other tank but much lower dmg migation and shield is over all not so good in pvp. They got a lot of utilities, but juggs can survive more in generall.

I'm playing assasin tank since Dec 2011 and my best protection was just about 600k. And I'd like to see more PT tanks.

It's a good setup, but Rocket Punch shouldn't be increased over Rail Shot, because of the updates from 1.2 or 1.3 depowered Iron Fist. Rail Shot also ignores 60% of armor so all in all it will do more damage. Also you're putting points into Frontline Offense, for a tank that's not needed put it into Advanced Tools because Flame Thrower has less of a cooldown and does great area damaged to all the targets in it, plus 10 seconds less cooldown for Grapple, which is needed a lot. Doing that makes Nueral Overload useless since you can put that point into Flame Surge which is great, if set up the right rotation you can negate 5% of damage for up to 30 seconds to a group and then jump to another area and do it immediately. Also using any PVE armor is a bad idea, just because it gives some nice stats and better armor set abilities, it doesn't have the expertise, which is everything in PVP because you get 20%+ damage reduction which is better than 2% on Defensive chance. Survivability shouldn't depend on your armor, if you have a good healer you will not have to worry about it. You seem more focused on attacks more than the mitigation, pulling and stunning, powertech/vanguard are crowd controllers.

I wasn't talking about the total protection numbers, but the possibilities a Guardian has, compared the ones an Assa has ^^ And I simply think, that a push, aoe mezz, friendly charge, non-channeled FS, spammable aoe slow are better than a 2 second Spike or a simple knockback :) Of course, a good player can reach higher numbers with either class ...

It's a good setup, but Rocket Punch shouldn't be increased over Rail Shot, because of the updates from 1.2 or 1.3 depowered Iron Fist. Rail Shot also ignores 60% of armor so all in all it will do more damage. Also you're putting points into Frontline Offense, for a tank that's not needed put it into Advanced Tools because Flame Thrower has less of a cooldown and does great area damaged to all the targets in it, plus 10 seconds less cooldown for Grapple, which is needed a lot. Doing that makes Nueral Overload useless since you can put that point into Flame Surge which is great, if set up the right rotation you can negate 5% of damage for up to 30 seconds to a group and then jump to another area and do it immediately. Also using any PVE armor is a bad idea, just because it gives some nice stats and better armor set abilities, it doesn't have the expertise, which is everything in PVP because you get 20%+ damage reduction which is better than 2% on Defensive chance. Survivability shouldn't depend on your armor, if you have a good healer you will not have to worry about it. You seem more focused on attacks more than the mitigation, pulling and stunning, powertech/vanguard are crowd controllers.

I never said i didnt use expertise i have some 1258 expertise i just use rakata shells with the armorings from EWH belts

also while yes rail shot does do more damage it isnt procable with tank tree - it does slighly less damage but you can use it more

also i didnt take the Flame thrower cd reduction as while a good AoE its more resource intensive and isnt used as much as ion pulse and gut - not to mention it seems that every other pulse cannon gets interrupted within the first or second tick.

and you only need the one explosive surge for the 5% damage output reduction and if nessary i can fit another into rotation without compromising resources too bad