Onizuka's Guide To The LFG Tool ( Level 50 )

I know what you are thinking what do I possibly need to know about the group finder.:rak_02:

Well this guide is designed to save time and make everyone's experience clean , fast and fun. (Cause everyone wants their free Blackhole commendations )

No.1

Gear Requirements

Normally you can get carried through by a few well geared mates but there are a few notable exceptions.

-False Emperor

-Lost Island

If you are a TANK queing for T1 Flashpoints

Minimum HP : 15 K

Healers : 14 K HP

DPS : 14 K HP

If your entire party has recruit Gear you should limit yourselves to Black Talon or Boarding Party.

No.2

KNOW THE FIGHTS

Even if you are a casual gamer , Research the fights. We don't owe you anything and neither do you. Everyone wants this to be a drop in, drop out experience.

This applies especially to SM Operations. Every fight has several phases and different mechanics. Not knowing what you are getting into and expecting to get spoonfed by randoms is irresponsible

You want your tokens and so do I.

No.3

Etiquette and Roles

Tanks, Don't think you are the boss of the operation , you are not . At anytime the healer can refuse to heal you and you either need to leave group if you don't like it or vote to kick .

You are here to suck up the damage so unless your marauder is pulling like crazy put the guard on the healer and use your AOE taunts.

Always be aware of who is in danger and be the best punching bag possible

Work with your healer- Don't break CCs and let them catch their breathe . They will thank you in the end.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DPS, Don't be reckless . The only time I have ever done reckless things in a Flashpoint is Black Talon . Even I would admit pulling before the Tank does is reckless and a bad habit unless you need to CC a target.

Overall , your job is to kill fast, stay out of Fire/Circle/Stuff and protect the healer if the tank is unavailable.

one other thing i'd like to point out is for DPS:

kill order for the vast majority of pulls (not all of them) should be NORMAL, STRONG, ELITE, CHAMPION. often there are 5-6 normal mobs with 5k health in a pull, and they are spread out all over. they die so fast that it's pointless for me, as a tank, to waste my energy running around trying to collect them. I am trying to keep your safe from the big hitter mobs.

You'd be so surprised how many DPS don't know this.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Healers are relatively simple in this regard , remember your heal button and resource management.

Also stay out of the Fire/Circle/Stuff

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOOT

- You have to leave all tier 1 HM FPs selected to get the 5 BH Comms. Even unchecking 1 (Kaon and D7 I'm looking at you) will stop you getting the comms.

- You should only Need on things you can (and will) use yourself. Greed/Pass on the rest. Ask the group before Needing it for a mods/companions/alts and do not Need for mods/companion/alt if someone else will actually use it for their main spec.

Lost Island Requirements

Tanks Minimum HP : 22K

DPS : 18K HP

Heals : 18 K HP

---------------------------------------------------------------

Gear Check.

Basics : How to do a Gear Check

1.Right click on the character portrait .

2.Go to additional Commands

3. Inspect Player.

Notable Bugs : Accuracy of inspected player is not displayed correctly.

Aim : Primary Stat for Bounty Hunters / Troopers

Strength : Primary Stat for Jedi Knight/ Sith Warrior

Cunning: Primary Stat for Imperial Agent / Smuggler

Willpower : Primary Stat for Jedi Consular / Sith Inquisitor

Power Contributes to Bonus Damage

Surge Rating --> Surge

Critical Rating --> Critical Chance

Tiers (PvE) : Tier 0 (Daily armoring / mods / enchancements ) (50)

Tier 1 (Tionese) (51)

Tier 2 (Exotech/Columi) (56)

Tier 3 (Rakata) (58)

Tier 4 (Blackhole / Campaign) (61)

Do NOT Click the Box Unless you have researched the fights.

Also for the sake of convenience use Vent/Teamspeak or Mumble to communicate .

- Going into HM FPs, expect everyone to do a quick run, skipping what you can and spacebar convos. If you want to do bonuses speak up. If you want to do convos I'd suggest you talk to the group and possibly queue story mode instead.

- DPS should wait for the tank to start each pull. Especially Guardian tanks, we have enough issues with spread out mobs already guys.

- DPS also need to kill adds while the tank takes care of the boss.

- If the healer lays down an AoE heal, the DPS also need to stand IN it.

- When skipping mobs, stick near the group and do not run off ahead. If someone pulls aggro accidentally you want to be ready to clean up. Similarly everyone should be sticking with the slowest person which will usually be the healer recovering after topping you all off.

Some advices to healers from a healer:

- At the very start of FP ask everyone if it is their first FP run. If it is your first run, tell about it ASAP. I hate surprises when we pull not a TnS boss.

- Even during quick runs regenerate your resource after every pull. **** happens. Do not rush.

- It is your fault if anyone dies, regardless of a reason. If you can not outheal a huge damage spike, explain tactics to a group to avoid or prevent it. You are healer, and it is your job to keep your group alive. Communication is your biggest healing skill.

DISCLAIMER: FOR ALL THOSE WHO DISAGREE With Putting GUARD ON THE HEALER.

I am not trying to force you into my way of thinking . You can put the guard on the melee dps if thats what you think is best. From my experience of playing a melee dps and a healer. I find it preferable that the tanks guard the healer.

Edited by Kenjigreat

Great story, Kenjigreat, but have you ever played a healer? Never ever calculate healer's power via his health. Tionese level geared healer has way less than 18k HP and is perfectly suited for any HM (LI included). Even HM Ops (not EC, of course) are doable with 15k HP healers.

Healers usually replaces standard mods in order to to be effective (which means losing some HP). Of course, they have to know game mechanics to survive with "low" HP, but it is another story. If you want to check healer's gear, look at his bonus healing stat: good starting amount for HM FP is 450.

Tanks, Don't think you are the boss of the operation , you are not . At anytime the healer can refuse to heal you and you either need to leave group if you don't like it or vote to kick .

You are here to suck up the damage so unless your marauder is pulling like crazy put the guard on the healer and use your AOE taunts.

Wrong, most situations call for a guard on the dps to prevent them pulling aggro, not guarding the healer.

Lost Island Requirements

22k HP implies rakata/BH/campaign, which is not necessary for this flashpoint - 18-20k hp should be ample for tanking this instance.

I'm not sure why we're basing everything off HP anyway, more HP just implies another tier of gear, though often the lower tier re-itemized to have great secondary stats is better than the off-the-shelf higher tier pieces.

I've done just a little bit of healing from time to time, so I'll offer my 2c.

If the tank places guard on me I'm mentally filing him in the idiot box and yelling at him until he puts it on a melee DPS.

Don't be a baddie, kids: don't guard the healer in PVE.

I'm not sure why we're basing everything off HP anyway, more HP just implies another tier of gear, though often the lower tier re-itemized to have great secondary stats is better than the off-the-shelf higher tier pieces.

I agree that HP is basic indicator of players gear level. But it can not be used to determine players strength. As a sage healer, when I hit 50, I had ~12k HP. With ~14k HP I started doing operations. Now I have ~20k HP and I do not need any more. Nothing can one shot me in EC HM, and everything else can be healed.

I remember HM FP runs with 16k HP tanks and 13k DPS. It was harder, but doable with a bit of planning ahead. You need more HP only if you want wild brainless rush through FP.

To : Vugluskr

Yes I have played a Healer , I have a played an Operative and Sorc Healer.

I do agree with the notion that healers remod their stuff to be more effective I do that too for my healer and marauder.

To : Crixaliss

I have both a 50 healer and a dps.

I find that my sorc when my sorc healer gets targeted I can't heal effectively while being interrupted by mobs.

I also have a Marauder that always pulls off the tank, its the Job of the DPS to use his ability to decrease threat example force. And as a melee dps I can pop Saber ward , Cloak of Pain and Undying rage .

And I can respectfully say that both methods work.

As someone has mentioned HP is merely an indicator, but its not a bad indicator cause a Tank in only Tionese can never attain 22K HP.

I do agree with the notion that healers remod their stuff to be more effective I do that too for my healer and marauder.

The reasoning behind this is that the people you are playing with are PUGs who just want their tokens. They are not here to carry you.

To: Aurojiin

Either works . You might disagree with me but playing both a healer and dps i find that Dps dying compared to a healer dying is less significant since he can be combat ressed.

Edited by Kenjigreat

I don't disagree with the fact that things might be doable with "Quote Gear Level".

But I would like to stress the fact that you are playing with RANDOM people.

You do not have the luxury of knowing their skill level most of the time.

I do appreciate Feedback and would like to continue intellectual discussion.

Edited by Kenjigreat

Either works . You might disagree with me but playing both a healer and dps i find that Dps dying compared to a healer dying is less significant since he can be combat ressed.

That's besides the point. The issue is that the benefits of guard are essentially useless for a healer in PVE.

Generally speaking your better off just not queueing for LI HM. 99% of the pugs your gona get put with are clueless and probably undergeared for it. Better off forming a group first with people that know the fights and have the gear THEN queue for it so you get the daily.

i would add kaon to your list as a low hp toon can get eaten in there real fast. perhaps a fight or two in battle of ilum as well.

nice job though but if you don't use hit points i am not sure how you would tell how well or poorly a player is geared at a glance.

the guard issue depends on the group as some need it on a dps but another on the healer. when we run guild hm with two gs it is put on the healer as it isn't needed on a gs always in cover. perhaps our gs are better players. when i did a pur nightmare pilgrim they were put on the healers as well. the debate for this can go on and on as from my view point there isn't a must have on a certain role. but rather on the person that benefits the group the most from it.

Generally speaking your better off just not queueing for LI HM. 99% of the pugs your gona get put with are clueless and probably undergeared for it. Better off forming a group first with people that know the fights and have the gear THEN queue for it so you get the daily.

I have pugged and 1 shotted the droid.

As long as everyone is geared and knows what their doing it can be done

nice job though but if you don't use hit points i am not sure how you would tell how well or poorly a player is geared at a glance.

I agree with this. Whenever the LFG tool pops and we load the instance, the first thing I do is quickly scan the HP levels. Any that are low I check the gear.

So far I've always given every group a try, I've never quit just because of bad gear or low hp. But this has been a quick mostly reliable indicator of how hard I'm going to have to work and how much time I'll need to set aside.

Of course, the worst player I ever grouped with was a 21k hp healer, but that was more due to the fact that he kept hating on the group all the way to Malgus then quit. Luckily we requeued for a replacement healer and finished on the very next try.

I run a tank and a healer and I've got a couple of comments here:

- Tanks aren't the bosses, but most people look to them and I like to make sure everyone knows what they are doing. Most important is that if you don't know the fights, speak up. Most of the time I don't mind explaining the fights. But I'm over typing out Soa and Mentor from D7....

- Going into HM FPs, expect everyone to do a quick run, skipping what you can and spacebar convos. If you want to do bonuses speak up. If you want to do convos I'd suggest you talk to the group and possibly queue story mode instead.

- DPS should wait for the tank to start each pull. Especially Guardian tanks, we have enough issues with spread out mobs already guys.

- DPS also need to kill adds while the tank takes care of the boss.

- If the healer lays down an AoE heal, the DPS also need to stand IN it.

- When skipping mobs, stick near the group and do not run off ahead. If someone pulls aggro accidentally you want to be ready to clean up. Similarly everyone should be sticking with the slowest person which will usually be the healer recovering after topping you all off.

- Tanks should NOT guard healers in PvE. If the tank is guarding the healer he is (usually) doing it wrong. If the healer is actually benefiting from a guard he is (usually) doing it wrong.

Lastly for Pub side: Best hard modes to start on are Taral 5 and Maelstrom Prison. Hard mode Esseles is actually tough for a fresh 50. Unfortunately if you choose your FP you don't get the Black hole comms.

I believe that T1 HM FPs are designed for 50/51 gear, and full Columi player is over-geared for it. I have played with one sage healer who had tank's gear (+defense). He had a huge HP pool, but he had troubles healing KP HM and needed to be covered. I do not look at HP at all, because it is so easy to add HP to any gear with Augments now.

Some advices to healers from a healer:

- At the very start of FP ask everyone if it is their first FP run. If it is your first run, tell about it ASAP. I hate surprises when we pull not a TnS boss.

- Even during quick runs regenerate your resource after every pull. **** happens. Do not rush.

- It is your fault if anyone dies, regardless of a reason. If you can not outheal a huge damage spike, explain tactics to a group to avoid or prevent it. You are healer, and it is your job to keep your group alive. Communication is your biggest healing skill.

Lastly for Pub side: Best hard modes to start on are Taral 5 and Maelstrom Prison. Hard mode Esseles is actually tough for a fresh 50. Unfortunately if you choose your FP you don't get the Black hole comms.

Wasn't Esseles changed in 1.3? It hasn't popped for me in the group finder yet.

I have pugged and 1 shotted the droid.

As long as everyone is geared and knows what their doing it can be done

Not saying it isnt possible with the group finder. Just highly unlikely your going to find a group like that. Majority of people are really pretty clueless that there are pretty strict gear requirements on that flashpoint.

I will Edit my post to make it better according to feedback .

I would however like to point out several things.

1. I created this guide for people who know nothing or close to nothing about FPs at level 50 and yes there are such people and I happen to be unfortunate enough to group with them every day.

2. On some fights having a good tank is a must . Eg Lost Island , Most tanks on my server are incapable of handling the fights.

Quote from grallmate

"- Going into HM FPs, expect everyone to do a quick run, skipping what you can and spacebar convos. If you want to do bonuses speak up. If you want to do convos I'd suggest you talk to the group and possibly queue story mode instead."

I absolutely agree on this.

and this " - DPS also need to kill adds while the tank takes care of the boss"

and this " - If the healer lays down an AoE heal, the DPS also need to stand IN it.

- When skipping mobs, stick near the group and do not run off ahead. If someone pulls aggro accidentally you want to be ready to clean up. Similarly everyone should be sticking with the slowest person which will usually be the healer recovering after topping you all off.: "

"- Tanks should NOT guard healers in PvE. If the tank is guarding the healer he is (usually) doing it wrong. If the healer is actually benefiting from a guard he is (usually) doing it wrong."

Honestly this debate about Tanks should not guard healers in PvE is pretty stupid . I have done hundreds of HMs and either way works. Just because someone does things in a different way does not mean that they are wrong.

That's besides the point. The issue is that the benefits of guard are essentially useless for a healer in PVE.

Guard reduces damage taken by 5% and threat generated by 25%. A good healer will, in MOST circumstances, be outside of the 15 meter range on guard. In addition, at range, it takes 130% threat to pull off of a tank. This means that the healer will only pull threat on mobs that just aren't being hit. It is the tank & dps's job to hit the mobs. Guard on the healer is not an excuse to use them as a tank. Overall, putting guard on the healer in PvE is generally a worse option than putting it on a dps who is likely to pull threat or "tank" smaller mobs.

Edited by Inzi

Guard reduces damage taken by 5% and threat generated by 25%. A good healer will, in MOST circumstances, be outside of the 15 meter range on guard. In addition, at range, it takes 130% threat to pull off of a tank. This means that the healer will only pull threat on mobs that just aren't being hit. It is the tank & dps's job to hit the mobs. Guard on the healer is not an excuse to use them as a tank. Overall, putting guard on the healer in PvE is generally a worse option than putting it on a dps who is likely to pull threat or "tank" smaller mobs.

See, that's why I like this guy. When I've reached IDGAF territory and can't be bothered explaining things anymore, he's got me covered :D

If your entire party has recruit Gear you should limit yourselves to Black Talon or Boarding Party.

You're underestimating how good Recruit is. This overshoots the gear requirement for all Tier 1 flashpoints.

Even if you are a casual gamer , Research the fights. We don't owe you anything and neither do you. Everyone wants this to be a drop in, drop out experience.

This applies especially to SM Operations. Every fight has several phases and different mechanics. Not knowing what you are getting into and expecting to get spoonfed by randoms is irresponsible

This will be more important with new content, assuming Bioware goes in the same direction their did with Lost Island. Fights will be more of a mechanic check than gear check.

Lost Island Requirements

DPS : 18K HP

Heals : 18 K HP

Do NOT Click the Box Unless you have researched the fights.

Lost Island's gear requirement is actually a mix of Tionese and some Columi. Failure in Lost Island comes from failing the mechanic check 90% of the time. Seriously, run this with a group of Campaign geared guys that have never done it and it'll be a four hour struggle. The difficulty of PUG LI HM is due to that last bit: few people research flashpoints they've never done.

Also, health is a bad substitute for a gear checker.

And another thing, guard on the healer is only useful if you plan on damaging everything in the pull by at least a small amount nearly instantly. Even with the reduction of threat, unless another player damages adds and far away trash, the healer will get aggro. They also stay out of the 15m range most of the time, so usually that 50% damage reduction bonus won't be applied and they just receive the 5% one.

Edited by ImmortalAlien

And another thing, guard on the healer is only useful if you plan on damaging everything in the pull by at least a small amount nearly instantly. Even with the reduction of threat, unless another player damages adds and far away trash, the healer will get aggro. They also stay out of the 15m range most of the time, so usually that 50% damage reduction bonus won't be applied and they just receive the 5% one.

The 50% damage transfer is only from player attacks. Does nothing in PvE. I can see arguments that the 5% is more useful on a healer and I know I as a tank have no issues holding threat so the threat reduction is less needed, but I do find the melee DPS take more damage anyway and it tends to make the healers job easier.

What it really comes down to is: if you're losing threat to someone, guard them. Otherwise its only a 5% DR so its up to you.

Wasn't Esseles changed in 1.3? It hasn't popped for me in the group finder yet.

It was changed but it still has headshot as a must interupt or 1 shot someone thing. Deals about 6-8k dmg on my Columi Guardian Tank when it gets through. Probably still gonna nearly 1 shot a Recruit geared tank and stress a recruit geared healer. I'm not saying it can't be done with all recruit, but you do need to stay on the ball for it or you probably wipe.

Really the point is: its not an easy one on pub side and lots of people assume it is since it was the first one.

Also worth putting in the first post:

- You have to leave all tier 1 HM FPs selected to get the 5 BH Comms. Even unchecking 1 (Kaon and D7 I'm looking at you) will stop you getting the comms.

- You should only Need on things you can (and will) use yourself. Greed/Pass on the rest. Ask the group before Needing it for a mods/companions/alts and do not Need for mods/companion/alt if someone else will actually use it for their main spec.

This info is about running FP's and ops, it has nothing to do with using the LFG tool.

Its general advice on running PUG groups which is what the LFG tool makes. The tool itself is pretty easy, the expectations of most of the people you end up with are what is being explained. These things are less important for the leveling FPs but once you reach the HM ones, there are expectations from most players who have done them before as well as some requirements gear wise.

I know I don't want to wipe 10 times getting a random group through MP when I can do a run with guildies in 20 minutes for the daily BH comms. That doesn't mean I'll bail after the first wipe, but if we make no progress I'm not hanging around and wasting credits on repairs. What it comes down to is if you make it easier on me and I'm gonna keep using LFG to help people out and meet new mates. But if you make it hard and I'll just run with guildies for the comms.

Edited by grallmate

kill order for the vast majority of pulls (not all of them) should be NORMAL, STRONG, ELITE, CHAMPION. often there are 5-6 normal mobs with 5k health in a pull, and they are spread out all over. they die so fast that it's pointless for me, as a tank, to waste my energy running around trying to collect them. I am trying to keep your safe from the big hitter mobs.

I totally forgot that point. I guess I've just gotten used to running with 'good' DPS who don't need to be told that (yet still stand outside of the healers AoE heal.....)

Edited by Ellvaan
Quoted removed content