How does multiplayer work?

Carteeeer

1. How does multiplayer work exactly? I want to play with my friend, are we able to do main quests together? or are there only certain things we can do together?

There are three main parts to multi in SWTOR, as in most "themepark" MMORPGs:

* Main story EDIT including side stories and free-standing missions END-EDIT

* Dungeons and Raids (called Flashpoints and Operations, with mini-dungeons called Uprisings)

* PvP battlegrounds (Warzones and Galactic Starfighter)

FPs/Ops are classic multi, queue for Group Finder and/or make your own group ("/invite Playername", etc.), and go to it.

PvP is similar, queue for Warzones and/or GSF, go to it.

Playing main story up to the beginning of Knights of the Fallen Empire is easier if you have two different "base" classes. For starter worlds, that means one from each of the two base classes whose stories start there. Example: start on Tython with one of you playing Sage or Shadow (base = Consular) and the other playing Guardian or Sentinel (base = Knight).

You make a group, and you go through the stories that you want to go through. For "phased" areas (behind green or red shimmering walls), the character with right class must go first, and then the other character's view will pass from red to blue and he can enter as a fighting assistant and conversation spectator.

If it's a general mission rather than a class-specific mission, one goes first and the other follows, and the one who went first is the "instance owner". I'm not sure whose mission advances, or whether it goes into full "social" mode where everone gets a bite at the conversation, and the game awards "social points" based on whose choice got picked. (In a N-player group - up to 4 - you get N points per conversation, doubled if your conversation choice got picked.)

Starting at Knights of the Fallen Empire, it's harder as the stories are told for a solo character, but it's possible to invite a friend to help as a fighting assistant / conversation spectator, once you are *inside* the chapter.

Edited by SteveTheCynic

1. How does multiplayer work exactly? I want to play with my friend, are we able to do main quests together? or are there only certain things we can do together?

I think you can do most stuff together. During the early "story" parts of the game there will be times when only one of you actually advances your story, but the other can be there as an observer. This is true, even if you are both the same class - sometimes you'll need to repeat things for the other player.

To form a group, just right-click on the other person's portrait (after "targeting" them), or on their name in chat, and select "invite to group".

You can also, of course, bring companions with you. You can experiment around with various configurations, but if you're both damage dealers (DPS) you want at least one companion set to "heal".

Edited by JediQuaker

I four box all the time, and for convenience always play the same base class. Since i'm playing with a full group, I need to run a healer, but if its only two of you you can have two companions in heal mode, and your characters as DPS.

While I've run Commando groups and Sages groups lately I've been playing Scoundrels and really loving playing stealthers. I don't know if I could go back to not playing a group of stealthers, as its so convenient to just run past trash mobs. If your characters are both stealthers your companions will go into stealth when you do. Very nice advantage.

Mal

There is a setting in options that lets you share your personal class missions, etc. with a friend.

Option Menu ---> Preferences ---> Social ---> General ---> Allow Access to Same Class/Personal Phases.

With that enabled, you can invite your friend to your group (right click their name and click "Invite to Group" or type /invite and the player's name.) and run anything you want together. Of course, only you will be able to make the story decisions, and they'll be watching the story videos only.

• 2 months later...
There is a setting in options that lets you share your personal class missions, etc. with a friend.

Option Menu ---> Preferences ---> Social ---> General ---> Allow Access to Same Class/Personal Phases.

With that enabled, you can invite your friend to your group (right click their name and click "Invite to Group" or type /invite and the player's name.) and run anything you want together. Of course, only you will be able to make the story decisions, and they'll be watching the story videos only.

What that switch does is allow the two (or more) players to do it when they are the same (base) class. If you are different base classes, you can do it without that switch.

Note that no matter what the classes involved are, only one player's story advances. (If you are playing two Knights, for example, you must go into the instance *twice*, once for each of you.)