Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

Cheezfriend

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To put this bluntly I started playing SWTOR because it had the APAC Servers and so did many others.

Tonight our Servers were HEAVY which shows that population is not the reason for this merge.

Can any member of EA or Bioware tell us the truth? As a merge to the North American Servers is not going to work as I stated before you will lose Australian Subscriptions and Players simply because we will not be able to handle the Server Lag.

You want players from the APAC region to still play and subscribe??? Yes?

Then you have two options:

Option 1: Find a way to lower the server lag bellow 80ms for the APAC region players on NA Servers or....

Option 2: Let the APAC Servers stay, and if they are to expensive then ASK US to find you a better deal many of us are in the computer industry we can get better pricing on Servers here than a foreign company can.

Those are your Options if you want to keep the APAC Region with SWTOR and not move to some other game where Server Lag doesn't really matter.

Your Move

first off, it was a pvp event, secondly we did leave after 20mins cause we all got bored and thirdly pvp happened get over it

Well this explains so much. You're one of those people. I can't say I'm surprised based on your comments here. PVP ganker that's too scared to roll on a PVP server.

To Bioware,

I would suggest that you check both Australian Consumer protection and Contract Law.

Under contract law you have agreed to provide a service that you charge for (either via subscription or via Cartel coins that are purchased as a way to access subscription benefits)

That service is the ability to play the game with low wait times and the ability to play fairly with other players in our time zone.

By merging our servers (one of which had a heavy population last night and consistently standard populations since launch) with servers on the other side of the word you are removing the ability of playing fairly with little lag. This means you are breaching my contract and I could sue you under this breach.

The point about the Australian Consumer Law is simply this by providing the game with Australian Players, and then adding servers with more players you have brought yourself into the country. In doing so you agreed to be bound by our consumer protection laws. In removing the servers and offering an inferior product (USA) servers with heavy populations and longer Lag (4 times what e have here) you have breached those laws.

So is this about alienating a player base by removing our server to save money? Or is about fixing a population issue. If it is about fixing population easy solution is to merge the 3 APAC servers into one and offering the ability to transfer to USA for those who want to be on a specific type (RP / PVE/ PVP)

If it is to save money think on the lost subscribers. The only reason I played this game was due to the APAC servers. I started on the US but as soon as the APAC servers became available I switched and the game became much more playable and I started to enjoy the flash points and Warzones that I did not in the US servers

Edited by rtyler

To Bioware,

I would suggest that you check both Australian Consumer protection and Contract Law.

Under contract law you have agreed to provide a service that you charge for (either via subscription or via Cartel coins that are purchased as a way to access subscription benefits)

That service is the ability to play the game with low wait times and the ability to play fairly with other players in our time zone.

By merging our servers (one of which had a heavy population last night and consistently standard populations since launch) with servers on the other side of the word you are removing the ability of playing fairly with little lag. This means you are breaching my contract and I could sue you under this breach.

The point about the Australian Consumer Law is simply this by providing the game with Australian Players, and then adding servers with more players you have brought yourself into the country. In doing so you agreed to be bound by our consumer protection laws. In removing the servers and offering an inferior product (USA) servers with heavy populations and longer Lag (4 times what e have here) you have breached those laws.

So is this about alienating a player base by removing our server to save money? Or is about fixing a population issue. If it is about fixing population easy solution is to merge the 3 APAC servers into one and offering the ability to transfer to USA for those who want to be on a specific type (RP / PVE/ PVP)

If it is to save money think on the lost subscribers. The only reason I played this game was due to the APAC servers. I started on the US but as soon as the APAC servers became available I switched and the game became much more playable and I started to enjoy the flash points and Warzones that I did not in the US servers

I'm all for any argument that lets me keep my low ping time but this is really grasping at straws. The game is still playable at 200ms its just a lot less responsive for PvPers and interrupting it kinda sucks.

In regards to the combined server event, I couldn't attend due to work but it does intrigue me that it was slated for an area that permitted a few players to ruin it for everyone else. I am also not at all surprised that DarthNish managed to find a way to try and ruin the consolidated server event given his vocal opposition to a merged APAC server.

I, for one, welcome the news of this merger. Something's been needed to be done for a long, long time.

I've played since Beta, set up originally on WC US and then transferred my toons over to APAC when the option became available (after months of waiting). Server populations may be (slightly) better here now, but Gav Daragon was so dead prior to F2P that I stopped playing (what's the point in an MMO if you are the only one on a planet?), and when they announced F2P I took it as a personal insult (yes, I realise it wasn't... now) and got so angry I quit the game.

I logged on and re-subbed for the first time in many months this past weekend, re-rolled on Begeren Colony, and had a great time. I am looking forward to actually playing my previous toons again on a populated server.

To Bioware,

..snip...

...snip...

Not trying to be argumentative, but where do they say anything about the service that they provide will have low wait times or fairly with anybody else?

I haven't read all 497 pages of comments but I get where everybody is coming from. I play on Gav Daragon and the community there is great. The only times I haven't enjoyed myself was when we were having to deal with constant ganking from a particular Republic guild during the Gree event. But that comes with the territory of an MMO.

I signed the petition. I knew it wasn't going to make a difference but signed it anyway. Obviously my first preference is to merge all APAC servers into one. Still not quite sure why this wasn't the chosen option...

I'm going to keep my sub up regardless of what happens. I suppose you could say I am a Star Wars fanboy, I admit that. But I really enjoy this game. Sure, it hasn't been as successful as WoW, but they're taking steps in the right direction. Well, if in game content was released as quick as Cartel Market stuff they would be.

I applaud their efforts of trying to get APAC servers going. 3 different servers was ambitious to begin with, but understandable. I would like to see all APAC servers merged to one, and IF that fails, send us to NA servers.

I know nobody is going to read this. Just my 2 cents on the issue.

I haven't read all 497 pages of comments but I get where everybody is coming from. I play on Gav Daragon and the community there is great. The only times I haven't enjoyed myself was when we were having to deal with constant ganking from a particular Republic guild during the Gree event. But that comes with the territory of an MMO.

I signed the petition. I knew it wasn't going to make a difference but signed it anyway. Obviously my first preference is to merge all APAC servers into one. Still not quite sure why this wasn't the chosen option...

I'm going to keep my sub up regardless of what happens. I suppose you could say I am a Star Wars fanboy, I admit that. But I really enjoy this game. Sure, it hasn't been as successful as WoW, but they're taking steps in the right direction. Well, if in game content was released as quick as Cartel Market stuff they would be.

I applaud their efforts of trying to get APAC servers going. 3 different servers was ambitious to begin with, but understandable. I would like to see all APAC servers merged to one, and IF that fails, send us to NA servers.

I know nobody is going to read this. Just my 2 cents on the issue.

I too would atleast like them to atleast give the merged APAC server a go first before they move us to the US servers, would it really hurt them to try it?

So I just went to have a look on the Harbinger server and noticed that the server population was full and there was a delay time to log on..... Is this going to start being a problem when they merge the servers. Are we going to go from a 'low' population server to a server that we cant even log onto cause its to full?

Or are they going to increase the limit?

So I just went to have a look on the Harbinger server and noticed that the server population was full and there was a delay time to log on..... Is this going to start being a problem when they merge the servers. Are we going to go from a 'low' population server to a server that we cant even log onto cause its to full?

Or are they going to increase the limit?

Are you F2P ?

I, for one, welcome the news of this merger. Something's been needed to be done for a long, long time.

I've played since Beta, set up originally on WC US and then transferred my toons over to APAC when the option became available (after months of waiting). Server populations may be (slightly) better here now, but Gav Daragon was so dead prior to F2P that I stopped playing (what's the point in an MMO if you are the only one on a planet?), and when they announced F2P I took it as a personal insult (yes, I realise it wasn't... now) and got so angry I quit the game.

I logged on and re-subbed for the first time in many months this past weekend, re-rolled on Begeren Colony, and had a great time. I am looking forward to actually playing my previous toons again on a populated server.

Hi Daveros,

The fact is that you have a choice in the matter and that is what we in APAC are asking for. I created a toon last week on Begeren conlony and had standing Lagh of 170ms. While in PVE that was ok, but it blew out to over 200 in combat. When you PVP in a warzone against US based playrs it will not be fun.

Hi Daveros,

The fact is that you have a choice in the matter and that is what we in APAC are asking for. I created a toon last week on Begeren conlony and had standing Lagh of 170ms. While in PVE that was ok, but it blew out to over 200 in combat. When you PVP in a warzone against US based playrs it will not be fun.

Realistically, I'm just glad they're doing something. I have three toons that are dead to me (though only one of any substantial level) because they're stuck on a dead server.

At this point, I don't care what they do, but I want something done. From my point of view, the best solution would be to merge all APAC servers and offer free transfers for those that want out. If the APAC server dies at that point, people would understand.

To Bioware,

Bioware as an accountant by trade this is absolutely correct under Australian Commercial Law you will be breaching your contract with us "The Consumer" if this merge goes ahead.

Recommend that Australians start talking to their lawyers as soon as possible

Well this explains so much. You're one of those people. I can't say I'm surprised based on your comments here. PVP ganker that's too scared to roll on a PVP server.

there are 2 reasons why i dont roll on the pvp serve:

1) population, MD had terrible population

2)When transfering from death wind corridor(pvp server) my friends choose Dalborra so i went with them

Recommend that Australians start talking to their lawyers as soon as possible

When they do, make sure they get said Lawyer to read the TOS first, that might save everyone from wasting their time.

Last nights server event was interesting to hang out with others from the other oceanic servers and do a bit of this and that but that's where it ends. I know that others felt the same but it was all about PVP this and PVP that on the vent server also the bastion is a bad idea for all pve players it might be good for the guys from the pvp server but trust me don't go.

Also 1 player spoke out on the vent server near the end of the stream when the fleet party was rocking hands up to that person and the comments we all heard on vent is a clear reason why any merge will never happen the pvp crews still want there little stomping ground.

After lodging a support ticket requesting information about the aforementioned matter; the support team replied with the following:

Greetings,

I am Protocol Droid M0-T0, Human-Cyborg Relations.

Thank you for contacting us to express your concerns regarding the plans for our Asia-Pacific servers.

While the post from our Community Manager Eric Musco on the official forums at http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=6048072&postcount=3178 gave some detail about our plans to transfer players to higher-population servers in the USA, and explained why we could not offer a timeline for these transfers at this point – we know that the solution proffered may not be to the liking of all players from the region.

We are aware that our Asia-Pacific players have been asking for a solution that will allow each of you to experience Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ to the fullest, with Warzones and Group Finder queues that pop more readily, and with planets full of other players to adventure alongside. When we asked you for your suggestions, we found that many players expressed a desire to move to servers in the US which already have higher populations as a result of the server consolidations, while others liked the idea of an Asia-Pacific “super-server”.

When considering what would ultimately work best for all players, we took a number of factors into account. From our experience with server consolidations, we learned that asking players to “give up” the RP, PvE, PvP or RP-PvP aspect of their server in exchange for higher population caused a great deal of upset – with many players feeling like they were unfairly being asked to sacrifice their chosen play-style in order to have others to play with. Merging all of the APAC servers into one would most likely lead to players who like their PvP or RP having to play on a pure PvE server, or PvE and RP players having to play on a PvP server, and we were not about to ask you all to do that.

An additional concern was that, even with the populations of three servers merged in to one, the number of concurrent users may not be as high as you would expect it to be, and you might not see a dramatic improvement in population throughout the game – and we would like you all to have players to play with at all levels and not just at the elder game stage.

We did also consider the impact of geographical distance on the play experience, and found that West Coast USA servers will offer a playable experience for players connecting from the APAC region. With higher populations and a server type that suits each individual player, we hope that any performance degradation will be mitigated by an improvement in the overall play experience.

We do accept that this solution is not ideal for everyone, and that in trying to provide a better experience for more players we may also be upsetting others in the process. We do honestly regret any disappointment caused by the solution we are offering, but we must restate that this is the solution we intend to implement.

Please keep an eye on the forums and swtor.com for more information on the timeline for these transfers.

Once again, thank you for your feedback. Please don’t hesitate to contact us again if you have any further questions or encounter any issues.

Galactic Support is our Specialty....

Sincerely,

Protocol Droid M0-T0

Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Customer Service

Thanks to Scorpiooo and others for organizing the event, but next time advertise that you will be using Dune sea or any area above 10th level before inviting others from other servers to make characters.

The crux of it however is the stream to me clarified the issue that I fear is our demise as APAC servers and maybe the game as a whole. There is an apathetic air about the game at the moment that led to more people crying 'Which server are we going to?' like they were trying to get excited over something new, than actually trying to fight for keeping the servers.

I have never had issue with anyone voicing preferences, but the lack of conviction to fight for what they claim is the prefered result (Dalbora APAC consolodation) however unlikely that is, was truely demoralising.

This should be something Bioware should should be more than a little worried about, because it shows how much this game needs a fresh and energetic feel when it has becomes so chore like. I hope the 2.0 changes will help this but I saw nothing truely new except even more diversely seperated daily areas to do our 'chores' in.

Also could people not cry 'lawyers' when at absolute best you could pay thousands to sue for refund of subscription fees. There may be a case for the Ombudsman to fine them but lets not pretend to be Americans and cry 'lawyer' like it is a prayered threat for a holy wrath whenever something annoys us. Nor should we threaten to go to other games because people leave and return from other games all the time, and it degenerates into arguements of who else has APAC servers or quality of said game distracting this thread time and again.

Just stick to facts about why this change in service will affect your quality of play and why you beleive so.

For me, I have looked and not seen numbers that our population in prime time Australia will be better on any of the NS servers, especially with the change that free to players who were already rare in elder game will be even more so with the Makeb purchase requirement to reach level 51+. Combined with a greater ping that will hold back my already slow computer and slower reflexes, and the apathetic dullness of the game currently, I don't feel much excitement for this game.

That apathy on the verge of your first big expansion and new Starwars movies in production... Bioware and EA, your PR departments are a ****en disgrace.