Women have to slap men in order to appear strong? Spoilers

Narasil

Yeah, I don't get it. All the "strong women" BS in The Last Jedi is just that. Rey is just as impulsive when she runs off half assed, but isn't called on it. Leia slaps Poe like he's a kid, that's not a strong woman, that's a weak *** excuse for a human being. That's appearing strong at the expense of someone else and not on your own merits. It's just showing you're as big a ******* as the men who behave like that....

Horrible movie on almost every count.

Edited by Narasil

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, but that's Rian Johnson's fault

-JJ would have never shown a slap in the face

-JJ would have never written a pointless second act like the Hondo subplot for the sake of agressive feminism

If you wanna see equality done RIGHT, re-watch Rogue One or TFA

Rian Johnson is a bizarre hack

For some reason men always feel intimidated when they see a strong woman and instantly hate something because of it. They seem to think that all women are supposed to be shrinking violets or always in some kind of distress and need a man to get them out of it. That is just sexist and stupid. The real thing that is killing this country is close mindedness and the inability to see things from another perspective. So you are welcome to your opinion, even though it is ignorant and misogynistic. Oh and I am a man by the way and no I'm not gay.

For some reason men always feel intimidated when they see a strong woman and instantly hate something because of it. They seem to think that all women are supposed to be shrinking violets or always in some kind of distress and need a man to get them out of it. That is just sexist and stupid. The real thing that is killing this country is close mindedness and the inability to see things from another perspective. So you are welcome to your opinion, even though it is ignorant and misogynistic. Oh and I am a man by the way and no I'm not gay.

This, very much this, it is simply completely and utterly true. I say this as a man and being gay, but whether you are straight or not shouldn't have much weight in the matter when it comes to battling sexism, discrimination and stupidity.

I as a matter of fact adore strong female characters, whenever I was little and we play-pretended to be heroes on adventures I always chose to be a female character, I never was interested in pretending to be a male character. I found female warriors to be more admirable and still do.

Edited by Ylliarus

Your comment is factually incorrect.

Ellen Ripley from the Alien franchise is one of the coolest, toughest, and most beloved females in Sci-Fi films. When you break down the demographics for the Alien franchise the majority of its fans are male.

Sarah Connor from Terminator is held in the same regard. Again, mostly male fans.

Wonder Woman was just released and made over 800 million world wide. Comic book movies are a mostly male demographic.

Samus Aran from Metroid? Lara Croft from Tomb Raider? Gamers are mostly male.

Captain Janeway from Star Trek Voyager? The lead of the tv series? The vast majority of Star Trek's audience are males.

Princess Leia from the original Trilogy, comics, and the expanded universe? Star Wars is predominately made up of male fans. Even the demographics for the Last Jedi prove this yet again.

Mara Jade is a huge fan favorite. Again the large majority of Star Wars fans reading the comics, buying the books, buying the action figures are all male.

I'm neither agreeing nor disagreeing with the original post, but the idea that men don't like strong women in fiction is statistically and factually incorrect when the majority of fans for Sci-Fi, horror, and comic books are males and they determine whether these particular properties are successful. The numbers and continued success of these female characters directly contradicts your version of reality.

I could go on and list even more strong females that are adored by male fans if you like.

Edited by CaulderBenson

I haven't seen any of the movies mentioned, but I agree that resorting to violence is not a mark of a strong person or character, male or female. A male character doesn't need to punch people in the face in order to be strong, why would female character need to do so? All they are showing is lack of impulse control and/or anger management issues.

Your comment is factually incorrect.

Ellen Ripley from the Alien franchise is one of the coolest, toughest, and most beloved females in Sci-Fi films. When you break down the demographics for the Alien franchise the majority of its fans are male.

Sarah Connor from Terminator is held in the same regard. Again, mostly male fans.

Wonder Woman was just released and made over 800 million world wide. Comic book movies are a mostly male demographic.

Samus Aran from Metroid? Lara Croft from Tomb Raider? Gamers are mostly male.

Captain Janeway from Star Trek Voyager? The lead of the tv series? The vast majority of Star Trek's audience are males.

Princess Leia from the original Trilogy, comics, and the expanded universe? Star Wars is predominately made up of male fans. Even the demographics for the Last Jedi prove this yet again.

Mara Jade is a huge fan favorite. Again the large majority of Star Wars fans reading the comics, buying the books, buying the action figures are all male.

I'm neither agreeing nor disagreeing with the original post, but the idea that men don't like strong women in fiction is statistically and factually incorrect when the majority of fans for Sci-Fi, horror, and comic books are males and they determine whether these particular properties are successful. The numbers and continued success of these female characters directly contradicts your version of reality.

I could go on and list even more strong females that are adored by male fans if you like.

I think the term "Strong women" is incorrect in the OP. It should be "Women in position of authority not afraid to show it via physical means"

As for that scene in general, can the OP go cry wolf about evil feminism somewhere else?

Leia is pretty much justified at this moment. She ordered Poe to retreat to the Raddus but he foolishly ordered the bombers forward to destroy the Dreadnaught, endangering the Raddus, getting every single bomber and crew wiped out and wasting precious time all to wave his dick around and say he did some damage to the First Order.

So I can understand Leia's anger and immediate demotion of Poe because it's part of his character arc.

Remember when Leia slaps Poe again on Crait when he correctly understand Luke's ploy and leads the Resistance to safety? Yeah, me neither. At this moment Poe as finally understood the lesson about commanding that Leia was teaching him.

If it was really a question of feminism, Poe would have been locked up after the mutiny and left to die on the Raddus or something. And Kaydel Co Connix would have become the new commander of the Resistance. But it didn't happened like that because Poe learned restraint.

Yeah, I don't get it. All the "strong women" BS in The Last Jedi is just that. Rey is just as impulsive when she runs off half assed, but isn't called on it. Leia slaps Poe like he's a kid, that's not a strong woman, that's a weak *** excuse for a human being. That's appearing strong at the expense of someone else and not on your own merits. It's just showing you're as big a ******* as the men who behave like that....

Horrible movie on almost every count.

Nothing you mention has anything to do with strong women... that's just your interpetation because i don't know why.

#1 Who exactly should Rey get **** from? Poe gets **** from his commanding officer. And #2 Yeah she slapped him like he was a kid like you said, like she's his mother because he's akting like a child. So why on earth do you think this has to be about being a "strong woman" and not to show Leias maternal role? Or Poe's and Leia's relationship?

It's funny you don't mention admiral PurpleHair McNicedress whatever her name was which is one instance it's clear they wanted to have a strong female character that wasn't Leia or Rey.

The movie was meh at best, but jesus christ.

Edited by Dryg

While I agree that's a common attitude, I did not get that from the OP's post. Physically assaulting someone because they disobeyed you doesn't make you strong. If the genders were flipped and it was a male commander slapping a female pilot for disobeying orders, people wouldn't be saying "oh what a great, strong, and empowered man!" They'd be up in arms.

Actually the problem is only when these things happen as an end in itself, not because that's just the plot or the narrative. In other words when the goal is clearly to make a political statement for some reason.

People can sense when that happens and hence threads like these.

When strong women appear naturally people don't have problems, as mentioned by that guy that showed a list of characters.

Edited by Kaedusz

truth be told i didnt even look at it from this perspective when i saw the movie as it is such a usual trope that it didnt even register. Ofc its crap... but we're taught that its socially acceptable for some reason. As someone mentioned above, if the roles were reversed people would be blasting the movie for it relentlessly. Only shows their hypocrisy. Glad i dont live in a country that obsesses over everything that has to do with political correctness... a term coined by Mao Zedong btw which should tell you everything you need to know about it.

Or people could just let go of their narrowminded, ancient and outdated views on gender, race and orientation and try to broaden their perspectives. There are sentient gas bubbles in Star Wars, are people seriously bothered by things like skin colour or what gender does what or who slaps whom? Humans are supposed to be an intelligent race, well, I don't see that reflected in reality with how tightly some cling onto racist, sexist and discriminatory views even in fiction like Star Wars. Edited by Ylliarus

Or people could just let go of their narrowminded, ancient and outdated views on gender, race and orientation and try to broaden their perspectives. There are sentient gas bubbles in Star Wars, are people seriously bothered by things like skin colour or what gender does what or who slaps whom? Humans are supposed to be an intelligent race, well, I don't see that reflected in reality with how tightly some cling onto racist, sexist and discriminatory views even in fiction like Star Wars.

https://i.imgur.com/3Vv2G6v.png

Edited by Kaedusz

Oh give me a break, you only say that because you have no arguments to bring against what I said thus you derail it with a meme. You claim it has nothing to do with the discussion and misses the point while it hits the very core of it all: the fact that people get offended because fiction and fantasy don't answer their own views and ideals.

People (read "some men") in this thread are offended Leia slapped Poe (which she had all the reason to because Poe behaved trigger-happy and recklessly) while it's totally fine that Vader chocked officers to death because they failed him, Snoke blasted Kylo away with what seemed to be Force Lightning because he had failed him. There is a discrepancy here that some of the posters are glad to ignore, because it wouldn't suit their rather sexist and discriminatory arguments otherwise. According to them it's fine if men express dominance, but when women do it? They create threads like this.

To return to why what I said hits the very core of this entire thing: if the OP didn't bring his narrowminded views on genders with him into the theatre, there wouldn't have been a single issue with this subject and this thread wouldn't have existed. The scene would be simply a reaction to disobedience and recklessness that could have endangered the entire fleet, just like Vader reacted to the failure of his officers or Snoke to the failure of Kylo post-TFA.

Edited by Ylliarus

Oh give me a break, you only say that because you have no arguments to bring against what I said thus you derail it with a meme. You claim it has nothing to do with the discussion and misses the point while it hits the very core of it all: the fact that people get offended because fiction and fantasy don't answer their own views and ideals.

People (read "some men") in this thread are offended Leia slapped Poe (which she had all the reason to because Poe behaved trigger-happy and recklessly) while it's totally fine that Vader chocked officers to death because they failed him, Snoke blasted Kylo away with what seemed to be Force Lightning because he had failed him. There is a discrepancy here that some of the posters are glad to ignore, because it wouldn't suit their rather sexist and discriminatory arguments otherwise. According to them it's fine if men express dominance, but when women do it? They create threads like this.

To return to why what I said hits the very core of this entire thing: if the OP didn't bring his narrowminded views on genders with him into the theatre, there wouldn't have been a single issue with it. The scene would be simply a reaction to disobedience and recklessness that could have endangered the entire fleet.

Once again, I have not seen the new movie, but the difference between Vader choking officers and Leia slapping someone most likely is that Leia is portrayed as a "good guy". Vader chokes people who fail, and we're supposed to think "oh, he's evil, he needs to be stopped". I have a funny feeling Leia's behavior was not portrayed this way.

Once again, I have not seen the new movie, but the difference between Vader choking officers and Leia slapping someone most likely is that Leia is portrayed as a "good guy". Vader chokes people who fail, and we're supposed to think "oh, he's evil, he needs to be stopped". I have a funny feeling Leia's behavior was not portrayed this way.

Still don't see that the new movies are showing not everything is black or white? There are shades of gray, even with the good guys. Someone can be good at heart but to show others that disobedience can't be tolerated or recklessness one has to make a firm stand. Have we forgotten Leia's temper in A New Hope? How she spoke to Han Solo? She hasn't lost that fire within her so it's not character breaking. A breach of character would have been if she ordered Poe's execution, but a slap in the face? When I bet in the military in real life disobedience and recklessness are dealt with in a more severe way? People have to learn to differentiate in situations such as this.

Still don't see that the new movies are showing not everything is black or white? There are shades of gray, even with the good guys. Someone can be good at heart but to show others that disobedience can't be tolerated or recklessness one has to make a firm stand. Have we forgotten Leia's temper in A New Hope? How she spoke to Han Solo? She hasn't lost that fire within her so it's not character breaking. A breach of character would have been if she ordered Poe's execution, but a slap in the face? When I bet in the military in real life disobedience and recklessness are dealt with in a more severe way? People have to learn to differentiate in situations such as this.

If they wanted to portray Leia as having the kind of anger management issues/poor impulse control/not knowing how to discipline someone without resorting to physical violence, then sure, slap is a great way. But OP never said, to my knowledge, that Leia acted out of character -- only that this does not make Leia a "strong woman".