Sorry but the scoundrel class seems like junk

Vasheir

Even after trying to follow some tutorials online, this particular Scoundrel class seems like junk. I can't hardly do anything (and with companions acting up, not attacking, I'm left with using heroic moment on silver mobs to get anything done). Ruffian spec currently. Edited by Vasheir

40. downed to 38. on balmora currently.

I deleted a 66 gunslinger to start over on the story... wanted to try a stealth pub class since I had none to date. Compared to the gunslinger, I can't kill mobs nearly as efficiently, the rotation is far more confusing since i can't even use a decent attack unless a mob is dead (upper hand).

I do not want to have to redo the class again. if the gunslinger had stealth, I'd be happy.

The stealth i played on imp side felt way more powerful.

Edited by Vasheir

At level 40 you should have no problems on Balmorra.

Last scoundrel I levelled was a heal spec, and with a dps comp I had no trouble. I did use stealth tactics on the golds/champions. That is, stealth out, sleep dart the elite, and then kill the weaker enemies one at a time. (Turn off the companions aoe attack, so you don't wake up the elite). Without the mobs, the elites usually die fast. With a dps comp you get two hard stuns and can usually kill, or almost kill, the elite before the stuns wear off.

Scoundrel specs are identical to Operative specs, the abilites just have different names, so I don't know why you would have more trouble with a Scoundrel than with an Operative.

If you're having trouble with Ruffian, try switching to the burst spec - that's Scrapper (the mirror to Concealment on impside).

* also check your companions' influence level. The higher their influence level the better they perform.

I'm sure you're right, that it is my way of playing that's the problem.

My imp side, i did stealth with the sith assassin. I realized also that my counselor can stealth. However, I am far more efficient with mobs on those two compared to the smuggler ruffian. I was also far more efficient with the gunslinger.

I'm sure you're right, that it is my way of playing that's the problem.

My imp side, i did stealth with the sith assassin. I realized also that my counselor can stealth. However, I am far more efficient with mobs on those two compared to the smuggler ruffian. I was also far more efficient with the gunslinger.

Counselor isn't able to use stealth per se - it's the Shadow sub-class that can do it, but not the Sage sub-class.

And the Assassin is only the sub-class of the Inquisitor. There's a mirror of the Sage sub-class to that as well.

The problem with the Scoundrel - and its imperial counterpart, the Agent - is, that this class is meant to be for close combat, in contrast to the Gunslinger class, which is meant to be a long-range class.

I've recently re-entered playing a long shelved Scoundrel as well, and I can feel the frustration, because the play style is so much different than the Gunslinger play style ...

I have never effectively played Assassin or Shadow, so I can't say much about them.

So far, I'm playing the damage role of my Scoundrel, with Corso doing the tank role.

Edit : I can't say how much effective Scoundrels are with mobs ... maybe that's the problem ?

40. downed to 38. on balmora currently.

I deleted a 66 gunslinger to start over on the story... wanted to try a stealth pub class since I had none to date. Compared to the gunslinger, I can't kill mobs nearly as efficiently, the rotation is far more confusing since i can't even use a decent attack unless a mob is dead (upper hand).

I do not want to have to redo the class again. if the gunslinger had stealth, I'd be happy.

The stealth i played on imp side felt way more powerful.

OK I see what the issue may be. You aren't using Blaster Whip. Use Blaster Whip to generate Upper Hand. Put both of your Damage Over Time abilites (DOT) on the target (Vital Shot and Shrap Bomb) and then spend Upper Hand to use Brutal Shots (does more damage the more of your own DOTs are on the target).

Easiest way to spell this out: (You are out of stealth in this example)

Shrap Bomb (DOT) ---> Vital Shot (DOT) ---> Blaster Whip (generates Upper Hand) ---> Brutal Shots (consumes Upper Hand).

Alternate Blaster Whip and Brutal Shots as long as you have dots up. When dots fall off, reapply. This is the essence of the spec.

Alternate Blaster Whip and Brutal Shots as long as you have dots up. When dots fall off, reapply. This is the essence of the spec.

I'm not sure if a level 40 has all the abilities yet for the full rotation ...

You forgot the bleed ability (sanquinary shot). Not needed on anything but the boss-type enemies since you need time for the bleed damage to be useful.

Rotation is basically dot, dot, bleed, brutal shot, brutal shot, blaster whip, brutal shot ....

And get that dirty kick in every time it comes off cooldown for any elite that doesn't have boss immunity XD

I'm not sure if a level 40 has all the abilities yet for the full rotation ...

You forgot the bleed ability (sanquinary shot). Not needed on anything but the boss-type enemies since you need time for the bleed damage to be useful.

Rotation is basically dot, dot, bleed, brutal shot, brutal shot, blaster whip, brutal shot ....

And get that dirty kick in every time it comes off cooldown for any elite that doesn't have boss immunity XD

Thanks for your input, but I didn't *forget* anything. Scoundrels DO have both dots by 40, but DON'T get Sanguinary Shot until 42, so it's not going to be on his bar yet. That rotation you laid out doesn't even work like that. No offense, but you didn't even understand what the actual issue the player was facing before throwing all this extra knowledge at him.

This player is more or less starting from scratch in terms of spec knowledge, so starting with the spec's *essence* is the way to go. Fewer buttons means an easier time getting accustomed to the spec.

Vasheir--try this on mobs throughout your quests:

Shrap Bomb

Vital Shot

Blaster Whip

Brutal Shots

Edited by Shirvington

Meh, play scrapper for generic PvE. It's more fun and the punching sounds are music to the ears. Use blaster whip excessively to generate Upper Hand for Sucker Punch. Rest between fights to regenerate your energy. IIRC, low level scrapper doesn't have much of a rotation and is very expensive on energy. Edited by Rion_Starkiller