Someone give me a reason not to drop Artifice.

Serbegorn

Critted elegant LS - 350k. Hawkye crystal - 150k. :)

Tried that, the market has already tanked on my server with them selling in the low 100ks. If I'm lucky 1 in 6 will crit. The non-crits I can't GIVE away or RE.

Not worth it. Not good enough to keep the skill when I can easily drop Archaeology and/or Treasure Hunting and pick a much much more lucrative gathering skill.

if there's a place to buy enhancements, then drop it. But I don't know where enhancements are sold.

Ok, so I make a set of enhancements when my alt hits 49... then what? This is what I actually plan on doing. My question is why keep the skill once I've done that?

Critted elegant LS - 350k. Hawkye crystal - 150k. :)

I'll look into the hawkeye crystal but it's starting to seem like vendored and quest dropped crystals will win out over any crafted ones.

edit: Just took a look. Seems the market is still decent for the new crystals. 80k average, 2mill for the expertise ones (I'm on a pvp server). Hope I get lucky enough to get a schematic for one. :)

Edited by Serbegorn

Umm, don't put words in my mouth chief. I'm open to all arguments.

Just drop the skill. I'm not going to convince you otherwise because you don't want to be convinced. It's a thinly veiled woe-is-me Imma artificer whine.

You've already proven my point with your replies to those who took you sincerely. Nuff said.

Just drop the skill. I'm not going to convince you otherwise because you don't want to be convinced. It's a thinly veiled woe-is-me Imma artificer whine.

You've already proven my point with your replies to those who took you sincerely. Nuff said.

Actually, thing is, it's STILL biochem or bust. Its not that biochem is too powerful - its not. The problem is that EVERY OTHER CRAFT is pretty much useless. You can BUY most of what every other craft makes (or in some cases, you can buy ******VASTLY******* better (rakata ear, really?)), even while leveling - and that is flat out outrageous. Biochem is the ONLY crafting skill that gives you a noticable difference at ANY stage in the game, from leveling to endgame.

1.2 was a stab at trying to fix the problem - however, the attempt was wildly misguided. Other crafts don't want MORE stuff. They want a reason to be whatever craft they are - and "MORE STUFF" is not a good reason in and of itself.

Each craft should have a SIGNIFICANT bonus, the permanent grenades are a slight example of this, but the cd is still too long.

Medpacks/stims/adrenals are an EXCELLENT example of what kind of bonuses EACH craft should have. But since ONLY biochem has anything in that league - biochem or bust.

Look the OP has put a lot of time into artificing, he probably has a bunch of patterns that aren't easy to get. And he doesn't want to dump it for that very reason. He's looking for a reason not to join fotm - problem is, there is NO reason to be ANYTHING except biochem, it doesn't matter if you're questing, farming, pvping, or end game raiding, you MUST be biochem or you're doing it wrong.

People hate to hear about wow, I get that, but honestly, one thing wow got exactly right is there's benefits to EVERY profession, and those benefits generally weigh as much as any other profession. THAT is what needs to happen here or you will end up ONLY with biochemist, and alts.

Lastly, guys, seriously, censoring acronyms is kind of silly.

I can think of several reasons:

1. Augment slots.

Set-piece gear will never have augment slots. Crafted gear will, with a critical success.

2. Removable set-piece mods.

Maybe you're one of those people who don't mind looking like a walking doily. I, however, am not. If BioWare follows through on their promise to allow us to yank the mods out of our Rakata Consular gear and stick them in crafted armor pieces and still retain the set bonuses as long as we put the armor inserts into armor pieces that are used on the same part of the body (for example, helmet-to-helmet transfers), we will see a revival of armor crafting. And if the set bonuses are bound to the armor inserts, that leaves Enhancements as tinkering bait. Let the tweaking begin!

3. High-end crafted off-hand items: just one example.

The tug-o-war between raiders and crafters for best-in-slot bragging rights will never end. High-end raid loot and crafted loot using rare mats obtained as raid loot or world-boss loot will probably always vie for BIS honors. New raids and world bosses will come out, and that raid or world boss' shiny new lewt will be the flavor-of-the-month, then a new set of schematics will come out, using some new rare mat from somewhere, and the thundering herd will rumble off chasing its new FOTM. And back and forth it will go.

TL-DR Version:

MMOs are never static. It's a nub's mistake to assume that the status quo in ANY given moment is now suddenly locked in permacrete. It WILL change, just as it was changed oh-so-recently. It is the destiny of MMOs to change. It is unavoidable. So my advice is: play the game, have fun, and don't sweat it if you temporarily miss having best-in-slot gear in every slot on your toon. Is it really worth it to /ragequit over that extra .05% boost in your critical-hit tallies? I think not.

And besides, when the pendulum swings back and Artifice gear is the new FOTM, you're not going to be the poor sot that has to go back and re-grind 400 (if not more) points of Artificing to get back to the top of the heap again. You'll be the top of the heap.

Edited by Spectus

The tug-o-war between raiders and crafters for best-in-slot bragging rights will never end. High-end raid loot and crafted loot using rare mats obtained as raid loot or world-boss loot will probably always vie for BIS honors. New raids and world bosses will come out, and that raid or world boss' shiny new lewt will be the flavor-of-the-month, then a new set of schematics will come out, using some new rare mat from somewhere, and the thundering herd will rumble off chasing its new FOTM. And back and forth it will go.

Do we really play the same game?

Crafting never had any chance against high-end vendor stuff... now they theorically could, but it's so stupid it isn't even worth mentioning.

As an artificer, what can you do better than the vendors?

- not hilts

- not crystals

- not enhancements

- not shields/catalyzers/generators

So, what is it worth in the end? Even the Relic is no better than some vendor-brought relics.

Edited by JMCH

I can think of several reasons:

1. Augment slots.

Set-piece gear will never have augment slots. Crafted gear will, with a critical success.

2. Removable set-piece mods.

Maybe you're one of those people who don't mind looking like a walking doily. I, however, am not. If BioWare follows through on their promise to allow us to yank the mods out of our Rakata Consular gear and stick them in crafted armor pieces and still retain the set bonuses as long as we put the armor inserts into armor pieces that are used on the same part of the body (for example, helmet-to-helmet transfers), we will see a revival of armor crafting. And if the set bonuses are bound to the armor inserts, that leaves Enhancements as tinkering bait. Let the tweaking begin!

TL-DR Version:

MMOs are never static. It's a nub's mistake to assume that the status quo in ANY given moment is now suddenly locked in permacrete. It WILL change, just as it was changed oh-so-recently. It is the destiny of MMOs to change. It is unavoidable. So my advice is: play the game, have fun, and don't sweat it if you temporarily miss having best-in-slot gear in every slot on your toon. Is it really worth it to /ragequit over that extra .05% boost in your critical-hit tallies? I think not.

And besides, when the pendulum swings back and Artifice gear is the new FOTM, you're not going to be the poor sot that has to go back and re-grind 400 (if not more) points of Artificing to get back to the top of the heap again. You'll be the top of the heap.

Every single item you listed, EVERY one, fails in the exact same way the 1.2 patch failed. I don't want MORE stuff. I don't want to use my crafting slot to make money. Even if I can craft bis & sell it, I don't want that.

I want something that puts me on even footing with someone who has nearly free stims and adrenals and medpacks. Whether I'm grinding, leveling, pvping or raiding. The ability to craft stuff, then sell it to a biochemist who can equip it, totally defeats the purpose of my craft. I can simply dump my crippled craft, buy my gear from some other sap while *I* get to use purp stims/adrenals/medpacks.

This is NOT unreasonable. This is, actually, the ONLY way you're going to prevent EVERYBODY being biochem, because that is exactly the direction this game is heading.

1 reason? Ok. +41 pink weapon crystals. The farming required to build these is fairly time taxing and these should be going for 2-3 million on your server.

Fairly required by just about all players for the Love Parade day, for sure.

So you say you can just buy gear off some poor sap while using your purple medpacks/adrenals/stims? You do realize these things aren't unique to Biochem right? You can purchase these consumables off someone with Biochem. I mean honestly, the only thing that's really unique at this point are the Cybertech grenades.

Edit: To clarify, you may not be able to use the purple (reusable) medpacks/stims/adrenals, but you can use the blue versions (or Warzone medpacks/adrenals in pvp.) In fact the Exotech Stims are superior to the Rakata Stims, so min/maxing Biochemists use those anyways.

Edited by Cyberfairy

maybe its possible to earn money with the color crystals, but honestly i dont care. i don't play this game to earn money above for what i need for raiding. when i craft something, i do it because i can improve my gear etc. when you get a lightsaber t3, you get one with a 41 stat crystal, and its not so hard to down the endboss in the palace. i dont care if my lightsaber is pink, blue, black or whatever. i care about the stat, thats it.

i am just looking for one thing for artifice, maybe there already is the possibility and you can help me.

I want to make enhancements that are at least equal to rakata gear, this would be the most useful thing for me for the profession as quite a lot of ppl are changing their armor modification items (and therefore farm more gear to take them out). but where are the recipies? do i have to destroy enhancements in rakata gear? not a single recipe dropped in the op's for me since the beginning. does anyone know if there is the possibility to get enhancement recipies through reengineering? and i am not talking about the lvl 22 crap enhancements (the green you learn ).

I was an Artifice. I leveled all the way through with it. I got to 50 and was so excited that I would be able to craft great lightsabers and awesome rare crystals. The lightsabers were lacking however since one new raid weapon would easily replace anything you could put in there, thus lightsabers were dead. As many others I quickly began doing dailies to get my earpieces and implants, and quickly found that the mods from the dailies were better than any I could make, thus mods were dead. Rakata Relics, the most useful thing to us, I crit crafted 2 with augment slots and that was the most it has done for me. However with 1.2 you can buy better than the relics with dailies, and thus again relics were dead. The one thing that I thought I would always have the edge on, color crystals. I thought there was no way they could take away the rarity of my crystals. I quickly came to realize that the only rare color was magenta. And then 1.1.5 hit and everybody could buy better crystals than I could make, thus crystals were dead.

1.2 gave me little hope, but the idea that I could RE lightsaber and offhands and craft with augments was exciting. However when I began to think about it, thats only 2 things. If I switch to synthweaving I could get 5... This caused me much dilemma and you can ask my guild mates i spent hours contemplating whether to switch. They gave no incentive to keep artifice. I switched and I don't regret it. Unless they release crystals strictly to artifice there will never be use for it.

I hope that this gave you some insight to what a real artifice who was conflicted what to do felt. I got 400 synthweaving in one day because of left over mats from artifice. I spent 150k credits and have all the schematics for battlemaster and war hero. You know what I could buy for artifice? Nothing. Good luck deciding what is right for you.

Any one know which missions in Treasure Hunting have a chance to return schematics? Preferably color crystals?

P.S. While I'd prefer something that I could actually use on my characters I'd be perfectly happy with something that I could just make money on. As it is I could drop something and pick bio-analysis up again, which i know makes good money.

Edited by Serbegorn

You can RE the 200 daily com relics to learn the schematic and crit craft them, then sell the uncritted ones for a few mil and the crited ones for 4million+. Or use them for yourself and have the best relic possible.

^Assuming the crafted ones are BoE. The crafted black hole implants are BoE so I'm assuming it's the same for the daily relics. I saw a dev post about how they would be re-able, but I don't know if they will be BoE or BoP when you craft them. Confirmation on this would be great.

Edited by scorpinot

You can RE the 200 daily com relics to learn the schematic and crit craft them, then sell the uncritted ones for a few mil and the crited ones for 4million+. Or use them for yourself and have the best relic possible.

^Assuming the crafted ones are BoE. The crafted black hole implants are BoE so I'm assuming it's the same for the daily relics. I saw a dev post about how they would be re-able, but I don't know if they will be BoE or BoP when you craft them. Confirmation on this would be great.

Hmmmmmmmm

Edited by Serbegorn

Fairly required by just about all players for the Love Parade day, for sure.

You're fooling yourself if you think people won't want the rarest crystal in the game because it is light red. You're also not considering the pleasure one will receive when they faceroll someone with their pink lightsaber. :D