Can anyone give me pointers on playing Combat Jedi Sentinel?

Jarbarian

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish i could enjoy WOW for longer than a few weeks, for some reason I get bored of it really fast. I actually find the graphics appealing too, I just can't get into the gameplay.

But it’s classic WoW being relaunched and not normal WoW that’s been made into rubbish. We even get the old class ability point trees back (like we had here too). Can’t wait to make my hybrid Frost-Arcane mage for pvp. I’ve already planned out the abilities I’ll need at which level,

It’s nostalgic for me and I’ve already reserved my names last week. Can’t wait till early next week for it to go live, I’ve already got my addons ready because it’s back to MMO basics and with out them, it’s hard to even find where the quest locations are :p

I’ve even got myself prepared with macros and addons for crafting, cooking and fishing

I’ll either hate it terribly or fall in love all over again. Which means I might come back here for a visit now and again or never come back again. I’ve already cancelled my swtor sub which runs out the day before (good timing for me).

Pvp battlegrounds won’t be released till phase two, but you can OWPVP till then and that’s always fun.by the time BGs become available I’ll be lvl’d and geared enough to start getting my pvp gear and I’ll have my crafting professions where I need them.

I expect I’ll be playing 40-50 hours a week for the next month, which is what I used to play in this game before 5.x made pvp less fun. So I’ll not have time to play swtor except to maybe check some crafting items I’ll get my wife to sell on the GTN.

Nice thanks! I guess a need a better mouse?

You can get away with a FPS mouse or Moba mouse by using a shift+ or Alt+ modifier and then KB the rest or hybrid click the less important things. Which is what I do because I’ve got small girl hands and I hate MMO mice.

If you need help with Bolster, let me know. I’ll still be on the forums till the access cookie expires,

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I haven't really gotten used to playing Marauder / Sentinel in ranked yet, but it looks like DCD usage and positioning makes the difference between global material and unstoppable wrecking ball - even considering Fury vs. Annihilation / Carnage. I'd suggest watching streams of people playing Marauder on a good level - Asstor is one person, Aqrius when he plays marauder is another.

I haven't really gotten used to playing Marauder / Sentinel in ranked yet, but it looks like DCD usage and positioning makes the difference between global material and unstoppable wrecking ball - even considering Fury vs. Annihilation / Carnage. I'd suggest watching streams of people playing Marauder on a good level - Asstor is one person, Aqrius when he plays marauder is another.

The first streamer you named is merely a wintrader, not a good player.

The first streamer you named is merely a wintrader, not a good player.
Well, don't know much about NA - I only named him because of name recognition from what other NA people have told me. I play EU hours with EU people and spend time being domestic at home at NA prime time. Not that I take what you said at face value, but I won't be defending him either.

Speaking of streams, I guess Cerasi sometimes plays Marauder too, and he both knows survival and is 100% legit. Here's a top banter clip of him going to regen in a tank game: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/472464830

I don't know to what extent Astor wintraded or how valid that claim is... but regardless hes still one of the better ranked players on NA, and a valid source of info as mara is usually his main

His ratings have been reset several times due to wintrading. And those are just the times he got caught for doing it blatantly. You can ask him yourself, or you can see his reset toons for yourself on the season 10 leaderboards. A lot of his buddies that he wintrades with have also been reset. Any success he's had in ranked is therefore totally invalidated.

So what you are saying is pure nonsense. Wintrading and being a good player are mutually exclusive. He is a wintrader, nothing more. To suggest that he's one of the better ranked players on NA is laughable.

Edited by JediMasterAlex

His ratings have been reset several times due to wintrading. And those are just the times he got caught for doing it blatantly. You can ask him yourself, or you can see his reset toons for yourself on the season 10 leaderboards. A lot of his buddies that he wintrades with have also been reset. Any success he's had in ranked is therefore totally invalidated.

So what you are saying is pure nonsense. Wintrading and being a good player are mutually exclusive. He is a wintrader, nothing more. To suggest that he's one of the better ranked players on NA is laughable.

You can still be quite good at playing parts of the game or ranked or whatever even if you cheat or had cheated. Certainly those that cheat deserve a rightous spanking from the divine hand of Mike B, but I would say there are degrees of it that need to at least be taken into account when weighing their heart against the feather.

Some of those who blatantly trade are obviously not Top3 worthy when you face them just from how poorly they play... cant say Astor is one of those. Give the Devil his due

You can still be quite good at playing parts of the game or ranked or whatever even if you cheat or had cheated. Certainly those that cheat deserve a rightous spanking from the divine hand of Mike B, but I would say there are degrees of it that need to at least be taken into account when weighing their heart against the feather.

Some of those who blatantly trade are obviously not Top3 worthy when you face them just from how poorly they play... cant say Astor is one of those. Give the Devil his due

We'll have to agree to disagree. Wintraders are defined by their actions. It is not a crime caused by passion or desperation or necessity, or by accident. People purposely cheat due to greed and arrogance. Such people are scum. I fail to see any "degrees."

Furthermore, I've played against him a bunch of times. He's no different from most of the other maras in queue except he's wintraded his way to higher ratings.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Wintraders are defined by their actions. It is not a crime caused by passion or desperation or necessity, or by accident. People purposely cheat due to greed and arrogance. Such people are scum. I fail to see any "degrees."

Furthermore, I've played against him a bunch of times. He's no different from most of the other maras in queue except he's wintraded his way to higher ratings.

Some cheat after they tried to play legit season after season and kept losing to cheaters at the last moment every season, etc. Its not really acceptable to cheat in cases as these or any case, and it might not even be the case here, but with reasons like that its more understandable... a lot of ranked has always been a kind of a giant joke in that regard, more so in the very recent seasons.

At this point in the game they have let quite a lot of wintraders, hackers, backfillers, etc. get buy. Its amazing literally everyone isn't cheating just as a giant middle finger at the excessive amount of arbitrarity and injustice due to incompetence and/or inability on the Devs part.

I get that if you do something you are by definition that thing... there are just many sub-types that fall under categories that can be relevant at different levels of analysis.

I was saying that you at least have the potential to learn more from a skilled wintrader compared to one that had no ability and cheated because they had no other means. If nothing else you can learn what not to do.

Like many ranked players nowadays that have been around a while, I play most classes at or near what is a Top3 level, and Astor does play at that level in my opinion.

Some cheat after they tried to play legit season after season and kept losing to cheaters at the last moment every season, etc. Its not really acceptable to cheat in cases as these or any case, and it might not even be the case here, but with reasons like that its more understandable... a lot of ranked has always been a kind of a giant joke in that regard, more so in the very recent seasons.

To put it politely, that's hogwash. I already summed up that particular attitude: greed and arrogance. Such players already think they're so good that they deserve top 3 even if they can't earn it legitimately, so they justify cheating in their small minds. It's truly pathetic and there is nothing "understandable" about it.

I get that if you do something you are by definition that thing... there are just many sub-types that fall under categories that can be relevant at different levels of analysis.

For sure, for many different kinds of wrongdoing that's true. What would those sub-types be in the case of wintrading? There are no mitigating circumstances of any kind for a start. I don't see what would distinguish a worse wintrader from a less worse wintrader.

I was saying that you at least have the potential to learn more from a skilled wintrader compared to one that had no ability and cheated because they had no other means. If nothing else you can learn what not to do.

"Skilled wintrader" is an oxymoron. There are plenty of legit maras to learn from that one needn't resort to wintrading scum.

Edited by JediMasterAlex

Poor OP wants pointers on playing Combat Sentinel and to a greater extent, all Sentinel specs, instead their thread gets hijacked with an "are wintraders skilled?" debate which doesn't help them at all.

I would hardly call it a debate. OP already got a lot of good advice. Watching a wintrader's stream is bad advice, so I pointed that out.

Poor OP wants pointers on playing Combat Sentinel and to a greater extent, all Sentinel specs, instead their thread gets hijacked with an "are wintraders skilled?" debate which doesn't help them at all.

Pretty much. The first couple of responses were great. That said, I do not find Sentinel fun to play. Having to constantly mash ZEN just to keep energy up PLUS Sent has way too many damn buttons. No class is fun to play when you have so many moves that are needed for energy regen and so many moves that immediately blow it.

Shadow = more fun.

Pretty much. The first couple of responses were great. That said, I do not find Sentinel fun to play. Having to constantly mash ZEN just to keep energy up PLUS Sent has way too many damn buttons. No class is fun to play when you have so many moves that are needed for energy regen and so many moves that immediately blow it.

Shadow = more fun.

I find mara/sent to be the most difficult dps in the game to play, but it's also the best (melee) dps in the game. it's difficult b/c you have a lot of things to keep track of (rebuke, zen, transcend, the grp centering buff, obfuscate) in addition to the regular defenses that you need to roll, and if you aren't careful, you can be as fragile as a stealth dps, which means precise use of breaker+camo+transcend. all-in-all, I think it's the highest end melee dps in the game, but it's considerably harder to master than PTs and juggs (which have all simpler dps specs but a lower performance ceiling). the problem with stealth melee (sin, op) is that they're a bit squishy and require more finesse -- kind of the situation mara is in w/o the ability to fully stealth out of combat or cast heals. if you play mara/op correctly, though, you'll be unkite-able. juggs, sins, and PTs are easier to kite, even when played well, imo.

the online guides say combat is the easiest of the rotations. very few buttons to press, but in pvp, I've always found it more tricky. fury is a lot easier to pull off, but all of those tertiary abilities are still a lot to keep up with vis-a-vis a rage (fury!) jugg.

Edited by foxmob

... kind of the situation mara is in w/o the ability to fully stealth out of combat...

I tried out mara a bit lately, and I have to say that I found the mara camo-out and run off to heal a LOT more reliable than my shadow's combat stealth and run off to heal. I don't know why, but on my mara, if I actually got the camo off, then I was almost always able to run off a ways and combat would actually drop after just a SHORT period of time. On my shadow, I can combat stealth and run off, and when I come out of stealth I swear it's a toss up as to whether I'll be out of combat or not. And if not... it's "not" for a LONG time. Just my probably skewed observations on my own experience of course.

And, yeah, trying out both mara and sniper recently, I found that I really like stealth so that I can choose when to open up on someone, instead of the entire gang going for me right from the start. So I agree with Jarbarian...

Shadow = more fun.

:p

I tried out mara a bit lately, and I have to say that I found the mara camo-out and run off to heal a LOT more reliable than my shadow's combat stealth and run off to heal. I don't know why, but on my mara, if I actually got the camo off, then I was almost always able to run off a ways and combat would actually drop after just a SHORT period of time. On my shadow, I can combat stealth and run off, and when I come out of stealth I swear it's a toss up as to whether I'll be out of combat or not. And if not... it's "not" for a LONG time. Just my probably skewed observations on my own experience of course.

And, yeah, trying out both mara and sniper recently, I found that I really like stealth so that I can choose when to open up on someone, instead of the entire gang going for me right from the start. So I agree with Jarbarian...

:p

It’s the dots. If you are dotted up when you stealth, your shadow will either pop back out of stealth it you’ll still be in combat.

But with a Mara, it doesn’t pop you back out of stealth. The problem I have is you can run to the other side of the map on a Mara and still be in combat because it won’t break when you stealth out.

IMO, Mara’s are one of the most fun classes in the game and also one of the harder to master because they are unforgiving if you make a mistake and you’ve no self heals like every other class seems to have these days.

On my shadow, I can combat stealth and run off, and when I come out of stealth I swear it's a toss up as to whether I'll be out of combat or not. And if not... it's "not" for a LONG time. Just my probably skewed observations on my own experience of course.

yeah. I see that a lot on streams. I think it's the same stupidity that keeps you dotted in respawn during reg matches. theoretically speaking, it's better to fully stealth out. there's also no timer on when your stealth will expire (e.g., before you get to a hiding place).

but in practice, I see both classes struggle with the same problem (even though it shouldn't be an issue for sins).

personally, I feel much more comfortable on a fury mara than a deception sin. that's prolly cuz I've played at least one rage jugg since the smash days, so a lot of the spec is very familiar. in solo ranked, I notice maras having a better time of things. there seem to be more top tier maras, but also the middling maras seem to do better than the sins. when it comes to sin, you either seem to be good or you're dead weight. there seems to be a larger spectrum of mara/sent. but that's just ranked.

like the op said though, there's just a lot of stuff to keep track of that I don't have any confidence in myself to successfully monitor.

edit: btw, "mashing zen" is not big deal. it's just an instant resource regen like power cell or enrage(?). the problem for me is when will it come up and how to keep up rebuke and obfuscate. even if I theoretically know when to use them, it gets jumbled really quickly when I'm not just hitting a training dummy.

Edited by foxmob

the problem with stealth melee (sin, op) is that they're a bit squishy and require more finesse

I agree here but again, I can stealth out and go heal a lot better than Sent. Yeah, they do a shiza ton of damage, but as I gear up my Shadow, I am finding out I hit pretty damn hard, my DPS is nice and yeah, maybe a bit of noodle armor, my defenses are easy to find/use.

Not so much with Sent!

Sins are absolute trash at the moment...Compared to Maras they barely have any proper defenses. The damage is bad and the only thing they can do well is try to burst you down after opening from stealth...

Marauders have very good DCDS at the moment and good damage but need more skill to play properly... You are just too lazy to master them.