Game suddenly unplayable, FPS is terrible on a decent rig.

Ripebear

I have no idea what is going on with TOR. Basically I'm level 31 and have been playing on max settings with 40-100 fps depending on situation, never below really with very little problems.

But today when I logged in and played it, I went to a dungeon/cave and it started dropping badly and the game was almost unplayable, 1-20 fps. I thought this could be like Taris so I got off the planet but it continued.

Even the game menus are slow, now when I'm in a queue for a server, when I tab out and back in the loading screen with the characters is there for several seconds. Also it takes several minutes just to "Exit game", it just stalls and takes ages.

I even made a new character on a new server to see, and still same problem. I also cranked graphics down to lowest possible settings. And did a full reinstall of the game but it didn't help. It is also less than a week old reinstall of windows.

Rig:

Windows 7 Ultimate

Radeon HD 4870

Duo Core 3.1 GHZ

4GB Corsair 800MHZ ram

As you can see my system is a bit old but it should play AT LEAST with minimum graphics settings with good FPS. It's actually still a decent rig and runs Crysis at about 30-35 FPS so I don't understand what the problem is.

I will probably reinstall windows tonight to see if it makes a difference.

Anyone else having a similar problem? Any help is appreciated, I won't be able to subscribe to the game if it stays like this.

Sum up: The game WAS running fine, even in EGA. It's not my system as far as I can tell, or my HDD or anything, I wiped windows and have up to date drivers. Something has happened to game or client to cause this problem.

Thanks

Edited by Ripebear

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This should probably be in a tech support forum of some type but I'll throw some ideas out there for you.

Check your drivers and update if possible.

Make sure that you didn't make any changes in CCC. I've noticed that forcing AA through the CCC (or through making .ini changes for those with Nvidia cards) causes massive Frame Rate Loss at the moment.

Also double check to see if you've got anything running in the background that could be straining your resources. Some retail computers have programs that run system checks that hog all kinds of resources while running in the background and these programs run 1 a month typically so it's easy to miss.

That's all I've got off the top of my head.

I have no idea what is going on with TOR. Basically I'm level 31 and have been playing on max settings with 40-100 fps depending on situation, never below really with very little problems.

But today when I logged in and played it, I went to a dungeon/cave and it started dropping badly and the game was almost unplayable, 1-20 fps. I thought this could be like Taris so I got off the planet but it continued.

Even the game menus are slow, now when I'm in a queue for a server, when I tab out and back in the loading screen with the characters is there for several seconds. Also it takes several minutes just to "Exit game", it just stalls and takes ages.

I even made a new character on a new server to see, and still same problem. I also cranked graphics down to lowest possible settings. And did a full reinstall of the game but it didn't help.

Rig:

Windows 7 Ultimate

Radeon HD 4870

Duo Core 3.1 GHZ

4GB Corsair 800MHZ ram

As you can see my system is a bit old but it should play AT LEAST with minimum graphics settings with good FPS. It's actually still a decent rig and runs Crysis at about 30-35 FPS so I don't understand what the problem is.

Anyone else having a similar problem? Any help is appreciated, I won't be able to subscribe to the game if it stays like this.

Thanks

Same thing basically. Started about 2 hours ago until the game isn't even playable. Definitely not my computer.

I even made a new character on a new server to see, and still same problem. I also cranked graphics down to lowest possible settings. And did a full reinstall of the game but it didn't help.

Rig:

Windows 7 Ultimate

Radeon HD 4870

Duo Core 3.1 GHZ

4GB Corsair 800MHZ ram

Thanks

Your RAM is pretty terrible, and if you're running 800mhz ram what is the motherboard? DDR2?

Your windows type only matters whether it is 64 or 32 bit to allow it to recognise more RAM.

Graphics card isn't great either, at the middle to lower end of what should run the game.

Dual Core is obviously lower end. If you have a packed low end hard drive, bad internet connection, are using wireless, or you have a badly fragmented hard drive among a million other reasons you shouldn't be able to run this game all that well.

Rig:

Windows 7 Ultimate

Radeon HD 4870

Duo Core 3.1 GHZ

4GB Corsair 800MHZ ram

Thanks

Same problem here, menus reacting slow+pvp is reaaallyy unplayable wich is freaking annoying, my FPS is an avarage of 15-40 wich is wayyy to low

i'm having a similar problem. Out in the world I run around 50 to 60 fps with only a small dip in overly populated areas.

However, when i enter an instanced area, like a flashpoint, my frames plummet to around 14. I even updated my drivers last night, and still no change.

I even dropped all my settings to low, and still no preformance increase.

specs are

Windows 7 64 bit

i7 3.4 Ghz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB

8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz

any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

It's not a decent rig you are wrong.

And that is the whole point of this thread, yes, thank you.

Now, about the actual topic... I have roughly the same specs and performance is very good. But had the same problem this morning - out of the blue, performance dropped to being unplayable. What fixed it for me was turning setting to max, restarted game, then turned them to min, another restart, and then set them to what they were before.

Not sure if it works for you but give it a go, we have the same graphics card.

And that is the whole point of this thread, yes, thank you.

Now, about the actual topic... I have roughly the same specs and performance is very good. But had the same problem this morning - out of the blue, performance dropped to being unplayable. What fixed it for me was turning setting to max, restarted game, then turned them to min, another restart, and then set them to what they were before.

Not sure if it works for you but give it a go, we have the same graphics card.

I will try that mate, cheers.

Your RAM is pretty terrible, and if you're running 800mhz ram what is the motherboard? DDR2?

Your windows type only matters whether it is 64 or 32 bit to allow it to recognise more RAM.

Graphics card isn't great either, at the middle to lower end of what should run the game.

Dual Core is obviously lower end. If you have a packed low end hard drive, bad internet connection, are using wireless, or you have a badly fragmented hard drive among a million other reasons you shouldn't be able to run this game all that well.

Fragmentet harddrives ended with the death of Windows XP. But surely you knew that, considering you are such a knowledgable person!

Anyhow, @ OP:

Did you make sure you didn't have any flash players open in a browser? The newer flashversions support hardware accelerations and in a DX9 game it can sometimes conflict with the rendering.

Always weird when it suddenly starts.

Fragmentet harddrives ended with the death of Windows XP. But surely you knew that, considering you are such a knowledgable person!

Anyhow, @ OP:

Did you make sure you didn't have any flash players open in a browser? The newer flashversions support hardware accelerations and in a DX9 game it can sometimes conflict with the rendering.

Yeah man. I'l playing it exactly the same as before.

Anyhow, @ OP:

No they didn't, you think hard drives being fragmented went away?! Really? They have been updated disk defragmenters for years now so that the latest systems have a standard daily defrag in the background because of this. Macs are pretty free of fragmentation but you are wrong.

Ignore the trolls...They obviously can't read system requirements.

The system is fine for running the game.

I also experienced issues last night with massive chop and even ran into several graphic glitches out in Balmorra. There was an entire section where I entered an elevator and the walls all disappeared. It was something that just kicked in. Up until around 20 the game ran fine, no glitches, nothing. Then Poof....

So i logged, restarted my comp, and updated my graphics drivers. I haven't seen it again, but I'm hoping whatever it was is gone.

My laptop should run this game like a champ, but even that lags horribly.

Personally, I think the game just needs more polish and optimization.

OK. The system is NOT a decent rig by todays standards. That's not the issue. I'm not deluded thinking It's a supercomputer ok.

I have twiddled with all the graphics settings, something has happened today making it unplayable.

Also, it happened in Tatooine. It doesn't seem like a memory leak.

Edited by Ripebear

I want to say that I dont think its anyones cpu. I was in beta and I was able to play on max settings with 20-40fps. I would lower a few setting (shodows) and see what works best for both fps/graphics. After this it would never drop under 60fps. It also seemed as if there were more setting to toggle in beta.

I think bw changed something, ive seen many posts regarding this issue.

My cpu is pretty good, I bought it on black friday so its still new in that regard.

All drivers are up to date no programs in the backround nothing changed from beta-EGA.

Please look into this bw, I love this game and want to continue playing for years to come, I even puchased this brand new cpu to play on, and in beta graphics were so smooth and now I get 15-30 fps regardless of settings.