Space Combat

I noticed that space combat gets reputation now, so I went back to playing it after years of not doing so. I have full 7 items equipped on my ship, and I know that I am rusty, but I am getting absolutely DESTROYED on any mission that earns reputation packs. I remember beating these missions back in the day, but now it's just not even close. Missions like Kanz Minefield, and Kabal Station Defense, I have played them a half dozen times each and can't even come close.

I am switching power from lasers to shields and vice versa, I am barrel rolling, and I am dodging with keys while still aiming with mouse. I am running out of missiles super early but barely doing damage to bombers and frigates, just totally combat ineffective.

Does anyone have any tips? I think it'd be cool to get full rep with everything, but unless I get a lot better at space combat, that will take years of getting the rep packs from CXP crates. ;)

Edited by VonLettowVorbeck

Those top level missions simply have little (or maybe just zero) margin for error.

Its been a while since I did them, but I do remember that in the mission with the multiple frigates, the key was to fire your EMP burst immediately at the start, which will do a lot of damage to the first couple that are right behind you.

For the level 50 space missions, you need to get the Grade 7 Ship upgrades, the proton torpedo tube, the EMP, and the electronic warfare pod. It wouldn't hurt to find some guide online for strategy. Once your ship is ready (upgraded), it just takes a few tries on some of the more difficult ones to get the timing down.

... but definitely find a guide / walkthrough for any that you just can't figure out after a few tries.

Edited by BRKMSN

• 7 months later...
If you couldn't do it then you should try now since last release. Just tried easy one on my warrior and could not even shoot down the add ships. Didn't realize they had changed the challenge level in these. Edited by Gwaneth

yea, this is my second month back after a 3 year break. I used to do these every day on at least 2-3 characters. It was kind of a warm up before I got down to business. But I tried them when I got back and found them much much harder than I remember. The ship gear hasn't increased, so it wasn't that. I did a few runs of each to get my timing and objectives back and never came close to finishing. I was getting wrecked and/or not finishing objectives.

Anyway, I was already legend reputation before I quit. I only did these because I enjoyed them, the credits were decent (back then...not now), and I figured maybe they would add something nice someday I could buy with the tokens. But other than making this much harder, this part of the game has apparently been dismissed. The credits suck today, no gear or frags, nothing new to buy with tokens (after all these years). So, I just dismissed it too and moved on to other parts of that game. Shame really. Space Combat reminded me of the old school arcade games that I loved when I was young. But I am not going to stress out doing something that offers no reward...not even really fun anymore.

For how little reward you get, these really shouldn't be as hard as they are. I think they should have kept this as just something that was different and fun. That was all space combat really had going for it. Make it a challenge....well...I'll save my stress for something that pays bigger rewards.

Hmm, I haven't ran a space mission in a very long time. I stopped when everyone got Legendary reputation from GC crates. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: But if they're more difficult now, I think I will take another run at them.

I tried a couple lvl 32 and 36 missions. Felt like the same as it's always been.

I did not try the "newer" heroic missions where you "need" the Tier 7 loadout. I'm quite out of practice witih those, it would take some time reviewing the aforementioned video guides to get back up to par.

I did two of the heroic space combat missions yesterday (Thanium and Baros) and had no trouble to complete them including the bonus objectives. They are the same difficulty as before 6.0. However, I noticed the mission timer is back, but incorrect (for example showing 6+ minutes for Thanium instead of 3+). Every few patches in the last few years, the timer has disappeared or reappeared.

You just need a fully upgraded ship to do the toughest space missions, that's really all there is to it. I've done a few space-maps since Onslaught, struggled a bit and had to restart a few times because I didn't remember what i was doing (haven't touched those is a few years) but finished ship quests just fine after shedding my rust.