Improper Color Matching.

JaceMatai

Logged into my level 6 Bounty Hunter today to get him off (Dreadful) Hutta and get him his AC and what do I see?

http://imgur.com/s8DD79a

This. I am using The BH Exalted Chespiece and Leggins, and Stalwart Protector Boots and gloves. The chestpiece has a Secondary Gray Dye in it. As you can see in my C sheet, everything is colormatched.

Now I have to switch gloves, please fix ASAP, thanks.

Edited by JaceMatai

• Dev Post

Hi there JaceMatai,

It seems that your character is not bugged. Rather, we fixed a bug:

- The "Unify to Chestpiece" option now functions properly for Dye Modules with only one color (Primary or Secondary).

From what I can tell, the secondary color on all of your gear is now gray, but they don't match because their primary colors are different. This is working as designed on a single-color Dye Module.

If I am mistaken, or if anyone else is seeing issues, please post!

Edited by AmberGreen

Hi there JaceMatai,

- The "Unify to Chestpiece" option now functions properly for Dye Modules with only one color (Primary or Secondary).

From what I can tell, the secondary color on all of your gear is now gray, but they don't match because their primary colors are different. This is working as designed on a single-color Dye Module.

But before, because my dye in the chestpiece was secondary gray, the orange part in the Stalwart Pieces were also gray, because they're the secondary color in those pieces.

NOW the PRIMARY in the Stalwart Pieces are gray, not the secondary.

EDIT: It appears your bug fix is working correctly for the Boots, just the gloves are Gray Primary from what I'm seeing.

Edited by JaceMatai

OP, out of curiosity, have you tried removing the gray dye, and then previewing or re-dyeing? (Or even just previewing another dye?) Or switching your color match off then on again? I'm not sure that any of those would help anything, but I know in the same circumstance, I'd try just to see what happens. :p

OP, out of curiosity, have you tried removing the gray dye, and then previewing or re-dyeing? (Or even just previewing another dye?) Or switching your color match off then on again? I'm not sure that any of those would help anything, but I know in the same circumstance, I'd try just to see what happens. :p

I would redye but it destroys the dye (Thanks Bioware) and I really dont want to waste it. But i'll try previewing a different dye when I get to the fleet.

Hi there JaceMatai,

Wait, so... the primary color of the chest piece will no longer carry over to the other pieces if we used a secondary color dye in it? Is that what you are saying?

Because if so, that kind of stinks...

For example, if a character has a white primary chest piece and used a grey secondary dye, the grey will carry over but the white will not? Is this the case?

Hi there JaceMatai,

Based on what you just typed I get the impression that unify no longer works properly. Unify USED to match both primary and secondary colors. What you just typed says that the secondary was unified but not the primary ("they don't match because their primary colors are different").

Hi there JaceMatai,

Do you want to reread your post, go away and think about it for a while?

Your "fix" is the creation of a bug as its no longer functioning properly. It isnt linking the base(primary/secondary) if a primary/secondary single colour dye is used.

Ergo it is NOT "unifying" at all, its merely spreading half the colour base around while ignoring the other base half.

What the change does now, is that it forces the original primary or secondary color of the base armor set to be used, if a primary or secondary dye is used. And in alot of armor types, those colors were different then the base colors of the chest being used.

In the case of the OP. He used a gray secondary dye on the BH Exalted Chespiece and then color matched (which replaced the base secondary orangish color for gray). On the base Stalwart Protector Gloves, orange is the secondary color and it was replaced by grey, white is the primary color and it was replaced by the orangish color, because on the original BH Exalted base set, that was the primary color of the gloves.

So the bug fix, as BW calls it, now forces the colors on you that you didn't want in the 1st place, which is why you were using dye on the armor.

The way things were working before the patch, was if you used a primary or secondary dye color on the chest piece, sometimes the other armor pieces would not match to one of the colors, which allowed you to use a different primary or secondary color on that piece, to get a different color option.

So with that, here is another example of how the patch changed the coloration of armor.

Pre-patch, my BH had this coloration on his helmet:

http://i.imgur.com/QoNvq5T.jpg

I was able to get this by using a primary brown dye on the chest and a gray/red dye on the helmet. When color matched, the brown from the chest became the primary on the helmet, but it left the red secondary.

Post-patch, my BH had this coloration:

http://i.imgur.com/zqWyPgu.jpg

Since blue was the original secondary color of the helmet for this armor set, it was forced into use when the chest was color matched (and thus ruined the look of my armor)

This was an unnecessary bug fix and they would be better off putting it back to how it was pre-patch. It also shows the problem of how Unify to Chestpiece was implemented in the first place. In that it would color match to what the original armor was designed by BW to look like color wise, and was never a true color match to chest, which is what the playerbase wanted at the time.

Edited by Flying-Brian

Ergo it is NOT "unifying" at all, its merely spreading half the colour base around while ignoring the other base half.

Which would be... exaclty how it was before the patch and what people complained about? :confused: yep I'm confused too. The problem was that when using Primary or Secondary modules, the unify color option was treating the gear as if there was no other color at all anymore, thus leaving the non-dyed colors on gloves/pants/boots in their original forms, instead of taking the non-dyed color from the chest.

Hi there JaceMatai,

I do believe there's a fair amount of confusion somewhere.

This is exactly how the dyes worked before. I assumed the patch would make it so that applying a green primary dye to a red/blue piece and then unifying would make every piece green/blue, or an orange dye to a black/black piece unifies everything to orange/black. From what I can tell, not only is this not the case, the patch has simply bugged the already-flawed system.

Which would be... exaclty how it was before the patch and what people complained about? :confused: yep I'm confused too. The problem was that when using Primary or Secondary modules, the unify color option was treating the gear as if there was no other color at all anymore, thus leaving the non-dyed colors on gloves/pants/boots in their original forms, instead of taking the non-dyed color from the chest.

That's a pretty big bug! Your Mako was completely deleted! And even that column in the far distance is gone. Quite the patch!

What the change does now, is that it forces the original primary or secondary color of the base armor set to be used, if a primary or secondary dye is used. And in alot of armor types, those colors were different then the base colors of the chest being used.

In the case of the OP. He used a gray secondary dye on the BH Exalted Chespiece and then color matched (which replaced the base secondary orangish color for gray). On the base Stalwart Protector Gloves, orange is the secondary color and it was replaced by grey, white is the primary color and it was replaced by the orangish color, because on the original BH Exalted base set, that was the primary color of the gloves.

So the bug fix, as BW calls it, now forces the colors on you that you didn't want in the 1st place, which is why you were using dye on the armor.

The way things were working before the patch, was if you used a primary or secondary dye color on the chest piece, sometimes the other armor pieces would not match to one of the colors, which allowed you to use a different primary or secondary color on that piece, to get a different color option.

So with that, here is another example of how the patch changed the coloration of armor.

Pre-patch, my BH had this coloration on his helmet:

http://i.imgur.com/QoNvq5T.jpg

I was able to get this by using a primary brown dye on the chest and a gray/red dye on the helmet. When color matched, the brown from the chest became the primary on the helmet, but it left the red secondary.

Post-patch, my BH had this coloration:

http://i.imgur.com/zqWyPgu.jpg

Since blue was the original secondary color of the helmet for this armor set, it was forced into use when the chest was color matched (and thus ruined the look of my armor)

This was an unnecessary bug fix and they would be better off putting it back to how it was pre-patch. It also shows the problem of how Unify to Chestpiece was implemented in the first place. In that it would color match to what the original armor was designed by BW to look like color wise, and was never a true color match to chest, which is what the playerbase wanted at the time.

I used this bug to with a green primary and white/red secondary to achieve green and red bh armor. I'm assuming the chest you're using is the hellfire chest which makes the helmet have a secondary of blue when unified normally. I'd reccomend finding a bh chest that gives a red secondary to the visor.

Assuming that the system now works as it was supposed to when first implemented (haven't had time to test yet), it IS a fix wanted by some (otherwise it probably wouldn't have been reported...). I have the Elite Regulator chestpiece on my Vanguard and would like to use its primary (sky-blue) to colormatch the rest of my gear -- none of which is from the same set -- with a secondary of medium brown. I couldn't do this before now, and I had to settle with a two-tone dye to keep everything matched (blue/black, for the record).

Flying-Brian (and others) used the bug and multiple dyes to create different looks, the same way we used to mix and match stuff before dyes and get creative with colormatching (or not matching, depending on the pieces). People adapt to the tools at hand.

It also shows the problem of how Unify to Chestpiece was implemented in the first place.

This is part of the problem, as well as the whole dual-dye system. It almost seems to warrant separate "match primary" and "match secondary" options. :| There are situations where we want to use the original color (primary or secondary) of an armor piece, either on that piece alone or as a colormatch, especially with the currently extremely limited dye selection.

Edited by Jenovan

Instead of typing everything again I'll simply copy paste what I wrote in my bug report:

After the most recent patch, in two of my items it seems as if the color dye I am using are no longer showing up correctly. I have a chestpiece that I have a 'secondary medium gray' dye slotted into it, which gives a brown jedi robe (default color for un-dyed primary) and a gray armor underneath (dyed secondary). That item is showing up as it should. I also have a pair or gloves and boots with two default colors each (white and blue). Previous to this bug I had equiped a 'primary medium gray' dye in both the boots and the gloves, which combined with my dyed chestpiece and the color matching system made my boots and gloves all gray (as in both the primary and secondary colors were turned gray).

However, when I logged in now after the patch, my boots and gloves are no longer gray/gray. They are now brown/gray (primary and secondary). So the problem seems to be that my chestpiece primary color (which has no dye) is overriding the boot and glove primary (which both do have dyes).

This obviously shouldn't be happening, so please fix it as soon as possible.

Not sure if this is the exact same problem everyone else is having, but I'm pretty sure I dye color in primary should override a non-dye color (even if the non dye color is the chest piece part).

Not sure if this is the exact same problem everyone else is having, but I'm pretty sure I dye color in primary should override a non-dye color (even if the non dye color is the chest piece part).

This does seem to be the same issue some folks are reporting. I sort of doubt it's a bug, though, and more a matter of how colormatch was implemented (i.e. it's a full-up override, ignoring whatever's on the non-chest piece).

Letting dyes override colormatch makes sense, though (if you wanted it colormatched, you wouldn't have put a dye in it, right?). Hopefully this is something they can change (or maybe it was intended after all, and just needs to be fixed).

To summarize --

Before 2.2.3:

1. Primary+Secondary dye applied to chestpiece = Match to Chest would apply P+S dye colors to matched piece

ex: Blue/green in chest = blue/green in matched pieces

2. Primary dye applied to chestpiece = Match to Chest would apply primary dye to matched piece, but not the chest's secondary

ex: green primary dye, tan base secondary color on chestpiece = green primary on matched pieces

3. Secondary dye applied to chestpiece = Match to Chest would apply secondary dye to matched piece, but not the chest's primary

ex: green secondary dye, tan base primary color on chestpiece = green secondary on matched pieces

4. Dye applied to non-chest pieces overrides "holes" in chestpiece color

ex: green primary dye, tan base secondary color on chestpiece; white primary/green secondary dye on gloves = Match to Chest would make the gloves green/green

After 2.2.3:

1. Primary+Secondary dye applied to chestpiece = Match to Chest would apply P+S dye colors to matched piece

ex: Blue/green in chest = blue/green in matched pieces

2. Primary dye applied to chestpiece = Match to Chest would apply primary dye and chest's secondary to matched piece

ex: green primary dye, tan base secondary color on chestpiece = green/tan on matched pieces

3. Secondary dye applied to chestpiece = Match to Chest would apply chest's primary color and secondary dye to matched piece

ex: tan base primary color, green secondary dye on chestpiece = tan/green on matched pieces

Sooo, among other things, it seems like fixing/adapting #4 would be a start. Yes?

Edited by Jenovan

Wow. Finally got to try out my Vanguard's outfit, not fond of what I found out!

Her gear (at least, the gear I'm looking at here):

Helm = Confiscated Mercenary Headgear

Chest = Elite Regulator Body Armor

Hands = Forward Recon Gloves

Legs = Spymaster's Leggings

1. No color match

I don't necessarily know which colors are primary and secondary until I start dyeing them...

2. Color match, no dyes

Color-coordinated, but the hat and gloves are not quite what I expect.

3. Color match, secondary dye on chest

Here's where stuff gets weird.

Chest = primary default (blue), secondary brown

Helm = primary default (red), secondary brown. Why is the chest's secondary made into the helm's primary?

Hands = primary default (red), secondary brown. Same question as above.

Legs = primary default (blue), secondary brown. As expected.

So, I'm not a fan of how the red -- the secondary on the chest -- gets used as the primary elsewhere. There's no reason to expect this... is there? Especially in light of the test below.

4. Color match, primary&secondary dye on chest

Chest = primary blue, secondary black

Helm = primary blue, secondary black

Hands = primary blue, secondary black

Legs = primary blue, secondary black

This is the look I used before the patch, and so I expected things to match the same way when using single-tone dyes. Not so much.

Why are dual dyes matching differently (i.e. primary/secondary colors being swapped) than no dyes or single dyes?

I do believe there's a fair amount of confusion somewhere.

This is exactly how the dyes worked before. I assumed the patch would make it so that applying a green primary dye to a red/blue piece and then unifying would make every piece green/blue, or an orange dye to a black/black piece unifies everything to orange/black. From what I can tell, not only is this not the case, the patch has simply bugged the already-flawed system.

After 2.2.3:

3. Secondary dye applied to chestpiece = Match to Chest would apply chest's primary color and secondary dye to matched piece

ex: tan base primary color, green secondary dye on chestpiece = tan/green on matched pieces

This is the exact effect I thought was ignored, the one I wished they had added. I swear upon initial login into the servers post-2.2.3, I still experienced this not being added. However, when I checked just now, I can indeed confirm this is working as Jenova has described, which does make me very happy. Nevertheless, the issue described by these other players still persist I believe, and I would encourage it to be fixed ASAP. You know, one of these days, you're just going to have to give up and let players mix and match a primary and secondary dye. I'm not entirely sure why you hesistate, everyone's fed up with your pre-mixed dye packs.

Edited by idnewton

I encountered the same issue that Jenovan posted about above, in the way that a primary/secondary dye interacts differently then just a primary or secondary dye, when used with match to chest.

This does appear to be a bug, around how dyes force their coloration over other items when match to chest is used. But the underlying problem seems to be more of how the primary and secondary colors of an armor set are switched around on different pieces, other then the chest.

One example I found (and I will update this post with pictures when I get home) was with the DG Combat Tech armor set for the trooper. In its stock form, the primary color on the chest is yellow, and blackish/gray is the secondary color. When I added a gray primary dye to the chest, all of the armor, except the helmet, color matched to gray primary and blackish/gray secondary, even when items from other armor sets were used, the colors matched the same. On the helmet (for some unknown reason) the blackish/gray is the primary and the yellow was the secondary, which resulted in a gray/yellow helmet.

But if a primary/secondary dye was used, the primary/secondary coloration of the helmet was switched around with the new coloration of the dye.

Edited by Flying-Brian

This does appear to be a bug, around how dyes force their coloration over other items when match to chest is used. But the underlying problem seems to be more of how the primary and secondary colors of an armor set are switched around on different pieces, other then the chest.

Right. I'm wondering if certain non-chest pieces are intentionally coded to swap primary/secondary when colormatched to give an "interesting" look. (Alternately, I guess that coding could be on individual chest pieces, i.e. "when matching gloves to this chest, swap the colors".) Whether or not it's intentional, though, it sure isn't playing nice with dyes. :p

Ok here are a couple of different tests showing two chest pieces that share the same base model (with a different base primary and secondary color) and how they behave differently when dyes are applied.

For this test I used:

MA-35 Forwards OPs chest (green primary/white secondary)

Tempered Laminoid Chest (white primary/red secondary)

TD-17A Colossus; Helmet, Gloves, Belt, Legs, boots (white primary/orange secondary)

Base - no dyes or color match:

MA-35 chest:

http://i.imgur.com/wbgFUw1.jpg

Tempered Laminoid Chest:

http://i.imgur.com/yfR9SXP.jpg

Color matched:

MA-35 chest:

http://i.imgur.com/Fh5KdiD.jpg

Tempered Laminoid Chest:

http://i.imgur.com/flVJmoB.jpg

MA-35 chest, brown secondary dye:

http://i.imgur.com/dPSeTbZ.jpg

MA-35 chest, brown secondary dye, color matched:

http://i.imgur.com/UhYkK8B.jpg

Tempered Laminoid Chest, gray secondary dye:

http://i.imgur.com/I3BoSSf.jpg

Tempered Laminoid Chest, gray secondary dye, color matched:

http://i.imgur.com/mdGzMOp.jpg

MA-35 chest, orange primary/red secondary dye:

http://i.imgur.com/OJISs6C.jpg

MA-35 chest, orange primary/red secondary dye, color matched:

http://i.imgur.com/jJ0Se15.jpg

Tempered Laminoid Chest, black primary/yellow secondary dye:

http://i.imgur.com/KpyxS1c.jpg

Tempered Laminoid Chest, black primary/yellow secondary dye, color matched:

http://i.imgur.com/8ZdzDrk.jpg

The 1st difference is on the MA-35 chest when color matched. The primary and seconday colors on the helmet and gloves have been swapped. With white being the primary and green being the seconday. On the Tempered Laminoid Chest, white is the primary color and the colors were not changed.

The next issue is when a brown secondary dye is used on the MA-35 chest and color matched. The colors on the helmet and gloves are changed. These now have a white primary (even though there is no more white in the chest, and green is the primary color of the chest) and a brown secondary. This is showing that the base coloration of the armor set, when color matched, is affacting the way the dye works. The Tempered Laminoid Chest did not show this issue when color matched with a secondary dye.

The final issue is when a primary/secondary dye is used. When the orange/red dye is used with the MA-35 chest and color matched, it changed the way the color match affected the helmet and gloves. Forcing the primary and secondary colors of those pieces to change from the way the helmet and gloves were color matched with the base armor and change from how they were colored with just a secondary dye. So a primary/secondary dye is able to override the way the chest handles color matching with other pieces, when compaied to the base version or when a secondary dye is used.

There was no change with the Tempered Laminoid Chest when a primary/secondary dye was used, as the results color wise matched the base color match, as well as a secondary dye color match.

Edited by Flying-Brian