Galactic Starfighter Records (2.8+)

Camelpockets

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You always did a great job, CP. Thank you for all the hard work and patience, and keeping things lively around here...

... that being said... Destiny? Really? It has no story, miserly loot, no soul at all, repetitive fights against enemies with way too many hitpoints...great skyboxes I guess.

As for taking over, I would be willing to maintain a thread, though I'd likely mix up the format a bit. I had once proposed having larger leaderboards for each category: 1-12... but the catch would be that each category could only have one of each ship variant in it (and still only one record per player).

So imagine a DPS record might look something like this (all names/values random):

1. Yuuko-san - Flashfire - 270 DPS

2. X'iao - Quarrel - 240 DPS

3. Shayd - Blackbolt - 197 DPS

4. Ar'mond - Razorwire - 168 DPS

5. Kintosi - Clarion - 158 DPS

6. Aimbot - Jurgoran - 156 DPS

7. Scrab - Dustmaker - 147 DPS

8. Pylan - Pike - 130 DPS

9. Courtney - Starguard - 127 DPS

10. Cynfor - Bloodmark - 107 DPS

11. Camelpockets - Razorwire - 100 DPS

12. Paowee - Warcarrier - 98 DPS

My thinking is that, apart from allowing a greater variety of people to fill a board, it encourages people to try different ships in order to get a record spot. We've been at this long enough that mixing it up a bit can't hurt, right?

As for record categories, I'd probably slim that down a little too...

TDM-50 (Win or Loss)

Kills + Assists

Solo Kills

Total Damage

DPS

TDM-End by Time

Kills + Assists (straight, no percentage)

Solo Kills

Total Damage

DPS

Domination

Kills + Assists

Solo Kills

Total Damage

DPS

Total Objective

Medals

Would you guys be interested in this? Any suggestions?

Would you guys be interested in this? Any suggestions?

>Ar'mond on a Razorwire

top lel

Other than that, I kind of like the idea of displaying different records for different ship types. Unfortunately, it has one major flaw: it's encouraging me to fly what I don't find fun, because otherwise I'm flat out not placing for most categories. Sure, I could fly my Rycer and make a few records... but I'm just not in the mood for that most of the time. You also have limited play time, you know how it is.

I can't speak for others, but for me personally, that's the only thing that's keeping me from putting a number up in the empty spaces under bombers and strikes. I can't say as I personally would be encouraged to fly something other than my usual in the hopes of setting a record. If I wanted to do that, I'd be doing it already. But I just don't respect some of the records we have up there. Two solo kills in a bomber? Twelve medals? I could beat that, but who cares? Big fish, little pond.

And it's not just me, I think. A guy named Fripic held the world record for speedrunning Dishonored All Collectibles with a horrible time he knew he could shorten by minutes, especially as new clips and such were found, but he flat out did not (perhaps still does not) care to run the category again to improve his time. It's not the way he wants to play the game, and no one had (has?) come close to challenging his time, so why bother?

There's another dealio I wanted to mention. It's hard for a casual observer to figure out who's an alt of whom. Even the people keeping up with the thread have made mistakes on that front (myself included). I'd be pretty stoked if names were listed as e.g. "Armonddd (as Mae'thon)", a format I've used in the past, in order to keep things straight.

Sorry for the rant, but those three points (displaying each ship type, respectability of certain records, and naming conventions) are things I think we should discuss, if only a little bit, before starting a new thread in earnest.

I dislike the slimming up: if we had only Kills and Assists, without Kills alone, we'd only have records of people playing tag or Ion spamming (aka mostly assists), like my record over there is (gotten by spamming un-upgraded Ion while collecting assist achievements, not particularly proud of it).

I do like the idea of 1 ship type per record, but only as a separate category. Also, what Armonddd said.

Edited by Asbetos

Thanks for all your hard work maintaining this thread Camel. Come back when space wizards gets boring! :)

As for continuing the thread, I strongly support keeping the ship types separate. Consolidating to 12 across ship types would effectively still cut out the bottom half of the players currently on the board, and it wouldn't give any incentive to better records in new ships once a player has placed on the board with their "top" ship.

That said, I think expanding all categories to more than 5 spots is fine. Once the format is set up, adding each new record is relatively little additional effort as long as the posts are done properly, and we have the template already.

For alt records, I suggest putting your "main" toon in parentheses as part of the record, and that would also make it easier for the thread maintainer to check for duplicates.

Ex:

Maethon (Ar'mond) - Sting - ____ - TEH - _____

I could probably maintain a thread as well if Nemarus or others can't. Googledoc would fix the need to hand over editorial responsibility, but it's nice having a central place to chat about things and keep any adjudication public.

Thanks Klehitt for validating my ego for so long :D

But no seriously it's too bad to see you go but I know how you feel.

Anyway, as for Nemarus, I don't really think that's fair to people who fly the same ship as the top record. I know of a total of 4 people who have broken 240 DPS in any ship. That can seem unattainable to the people who at best get 170-180. (Not to mention if you did it that way I'd hold at least 5 of those records off of 200+ DPSs on secondary ships that I've just never posted.)

Edited by tommmsunb

I'm assuming that Destiny may only be just the flavor of the month, and I've certainly been taken in. I think I've been playing for SWTOR for too long now and wanted to try something new (at least until we can play more of star citizen), and figured why not Destiny. Yea story is just meh, but I enjoy the game play. They are releasing things every week or so, and that'll keep me drawn in for the time being.

Anyways back to this game, I think what we could do is keep the Records by game type the same. For Ship Type however, you could maybe do the top three of each ship per category. So scout dps would look like this:

Scout DPS (by total dps):

1. Joe - Flashfire - 200 DPS

2. Mike - NovaDive - 190 DPS

3. Bill - Spearpoint - 180 DPS (I want to see this)

4. Jack - Novadive - 170 DPS

5. Kevin - Flashfire - 160 DPS

Or keep each ship seperate:

Flashfire

1. Some guy and DPS

NovaDive

1. Some other guy and some dps

Spearpoint

1. Tensor field for life.

Edited by Camelpockets

• 5 months later...

Scout Domination

Kalessian - S-13 Sting - Stroke my Wookie - The Tomb of Freedon Nadd 111249 Damage.

Overall Domination.

Kalessian - S-13 Sting - Stroke my Wookie - The Tomb of Freedon Nadd 45 kills and assists.

Kalessian - S-13 Sting - Stroke my Wookie - The Tomb of Freedon Nadd 34 kills.

Kalessian - S-13 Sting - Stroke my Wookie - The Tomb of Freedon Nadd 34 kill streak.

Edited by DcX_HK