What separates canon from non-canon?

Datamonger

I've read through several posts lately that bring up "canon" lore vs. "non-canon." Before I go putting in my two-cents and make an ignorant comment I need to know the difference. My small mind usually associates canon with the films while non-canon refers to written fiction. I'm fairly certain that it's either wrong, or incomplete.

So, what is the difference between canon and non-canon?

There's an eniter page on it, but I quoted the basic bit.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Canon

G-canon is George Lucas Canon; the six Episodes and anything directly provided to Lucas Licensing by Lucas (including unpublished production notes from him or his production department that are never seen by the public). Elements originating with Lucas in the movie novelizations, reference books, and other sources are also G-canon, though anything created by the authors of those sources is C-canon. When the matter of changes between movie versions arises, the most recently released editions are deemed superior to older ones, as they correct mistakes, improve consistency between the two trilogies, and express Lucas's current vision of the Star Wars universe most closely. The deleted scenes included on the DVDs are also considered G-canon (when they're not in conflict with the movie).[1]

T-canon,[2] or Television Canon[3], refers to the canon level comprising the feature film Star Wars: The Clone Wars and the two television shows Star Wars: The Clone Wars and the Star Wars live-action TV series.[4][5] It was devised recently in order to define a status above the C-Level canon, as confirmed by Chee[6].

C-canon is Continuity Canon, consisting of all recent works (and many older works) released under the name of Star Wars: books, comics, games, cartoons, non-theatrical films, and more. Games are a special case, as generally only the stories are C-canon, while things like stats and gameplay may not be;[7] they also offer non-canonical options to the player, such as choosing female gender for a canonically male character. C-canon elements have been known to appear in the movies, thus making them G-canon; examples include the name "Coruscant," swoop bikes, Quinlan Vos, Aayla Secura, YT-2400 freighters and Action VI transports.

S-canon is Secondary Canon; the materials are available to be used or ignored as needed by current authors. This includes mostly older works, such as much of the Marvel Star Wars comics, that predate a consistent effort to maintain continuity; it also contains certain elements of a few otherwise N-canon stories, and other things that "may not fit just right." Many formerly S-canon elements have been elevated to C-canon through their inclusion in more recent works by continuity-minded authors, while many other older works (such as The Han Solo Adventures) were accounted for in continuity from the start despite their age, and thus were always C-canon.

N is Non-Canon. What-if stories (such as stories published under the Infinities label) and anything else directly and irreconcilably contradicted by higher canon ends up here. N is the only level that is not considered canon by Lucasfilm. Information cut from canon, deleted scenes, or from canceled Star Wars works falls into this category as well, unless another canonical work references it and it is declared canon.

Edited by AngelousWang

G-canon is George Lucas Canon; the six Episodes and anything directly provided to Lucas Licensing by Lucas (including unpublished production notes from him or his production department that are never seen by the public). Elements originating with Lucas in the movie novelizations, reference books, and other sources are also G-canon, though anything created by the authors of those sources is C-canon. When the matter of changes between movie versions arises, the most recently released editions are deemed superior to older ones, as they correct mistakes, improve consistency between the two trilogies, and express Lucas's current vision of the Star Wars universe most closely. The deleted scenes included on the DVDs are also considered G-canon (when they're not in conflict with the movie).

So, then.... the production notes for Return of the Jedi that state Boba Fett survived the Sarlacc pit and climbed out at the end of the movie prove that according to G-Canon, he's alive. Good enough for me.

So, then.... the production notes for Return of the Jedi that state Boba Fett survived the Sarlacc pit and climbed out at the end of the movie prove that according to G-Canon, he's alive. Good enough for me.

But you forget, GL himself had stated Boba was dead(at least in his universe), while Boba is a G-canon character his survival is C-canon because it never showed in the movies.'

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

But you forget, GL himself had stated Boba was dead(at least in his universe), while Boba is a G-canon character his survival is C-canon because it never showed in the movies.'

Ok, but still. Even though he fell into the Sarlacc pit, the unpublished production notes by George's own admission had him climbing out of the pit at the end of RotJ. So technically they're still part of G-Canon. Just because he didn't add them to the movie doesn't make it wrong. Look at how it's worded. :D

If there is a loophole, I will find it. lol

Edited by Captain_Zone