Theory: Do haters FEAR the potiential influence of SWTOR?

Majestic_Jazz

TL;DR I believe these people just want to sabotage the SWTOR popularity because they fear that if SWTOR grows, the future of MMOs would be more like SWTOR such as focusing on story and the leveling process instead of endgame. They fear that MMOs would become single player friendly. In short, they fear that the SWTOR formula would be the baseline formula for future MMOs.

I'll keep this short but hear me out. SWTOR is obviously not for everyone, especially if you are one of those old school MMO traditionalist who believes the real purpose behind MMOs is endgame and etc.....

With that being said, they do not like how SWTOR has a focus on leveling and not endgame. They do not like how SWTOR is bringing in people [such as myself] who are not traditional MMO players but rather single player gamers whos ONLY reason behind playing SWTOR is the promise of story and the ability to literally play it as a single player game if chosen to. The haters fear that if SWTOR grows and becomes really popular, then SWTOR would be used or could be used as the benchmark for future MMOs meaning future AAA MMOs will have emphasis on story.....interactive dialog....cutscenes and everything else that SWTOR does with the 4th Pillar of story.

These haters have already made up their mind that they do not like SWTOR and will either go back to other current MMOs, or just hold out until Guild Wars 2. However, because they fear that SWTOR could grow, they do not want their current MMOs or future MMOs [GW2] to be lacking in population because everyone is playing SWTOR.

So BASICALLY, the people against SWTOR pretty much want to sabatoge the popularity of SWTOR with the hopes that everyone jumps off of the "SWTOR bandwagon" and play other MMOs or hold out for future MMOs. I mean why is it that the people who supposendly have cancelled their subscription still post here? Why is it that the people who have came to the conclusion that they gate SWTOR.....continue to post here? Why is it that the most passionate opinions about SWTOR tend to be the negative ones?

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TL;DR I believe these people just want to sabotage the SWTOR popularity because they fear that if SWTOR grows, the future of MMOs would be more like SWTOR such as focusing on story and the leveling process instead of endgame. They fear that MMOs would become single player friendly. In short, they fear that the SWTOR formula would be the baseline formula for future MMOs.

Well, not knocking TOR because it's a good game... but it isn't the view (including my own) of what a true MMO should be. People have varying expectations about what makes a game an MMO.

The vision of my future perfect MMO includes one without player levels, abilities that are skill based (the more you use an ability, the better you get at it), true player driven economy, robust crafting/merchant play, robust diplomacy/faction play, and still have a guided storyline (but not necesssarily for the player character, a general overall world story will do fine.)

Call it a themebox or sandpark... there is a happy medium that has not yet been struck.

Edited by Lethality

For the love of god do you actually believe people are here complaining because they WANT the game to fail?

Did you ever consider that many are sick of WoW and other MMO's and are completely disappointed and aghast at the horrible flaws in TOR?

The biggest problem for me is that there are simply TO MANY issues that BW will not fix fast enough, and this game will die as even the most patient of players loses patience with one of the very many issues it has right now.

Believe me I've seen it all before, many times.

There is severe ignorance on both ends of this discussion. On the one hand, yes, some people want to see SWTOR fail for whatever sullen reason they have. On the other hand you have an equally vocal population of people who are starry-eyed and cannot see issues with the game.

This is common and unsurprising. Opinions are opinions, but the one thing everyone forgets is that an opinion is not simply invalid because you do not agree. A mentality of such is the definition of unreasonable conversation.

Both sides are awful for communities but are a byproduct of gaming.

Your on the right track OP...Sorta. Gaming forums in general are negative. When you give negative people a platform they will use it -- its human nature for complainers to want to be heard.

WoW has been out for 8 years and, as we all know, is very successful; however their forums are filled with vitriol and hatred and doomsayers. Again, give the .01% a chance to be heard, and they will scream.

As long as they subscribe and is diverted in their views, we get our updates. That's my mantra at least. What else they might do, is their own business, some grand plan beyond individual attention is not necessary, although groups behave in patterns governed by meta behavior, which the individual refuse to accept since it would impact their "free will".

Be that as it may. Need moar SWTOR updates. ;)

---

The problem as I see it OP is the loss of epeen. Swtor is a game that is enjoyable by the masses and does not concentrate on epeen waving thus offending the soapbox hardcore wannabees. You saw them come out on the forums recently after smashIng their way to 50 and claim that there was nothing to do. Problem with that was that nobody cared then or now. These guys are terrified that their snowflakes have melted before they even hit the ground; and for the most part they Indeed have.

Panic ensued and these same people took to the forums in an attempt to destroy the game by way of bad publicity. This is failing also. The rest of us meanwhile are reveling in our new game and just enjoying all that it has to offer. once the free month has passed and these guy head back to WoW you will see this game flourish with content and good times for all. The haters will be back in the Barrens talking about Chuck Norris' school of Panda studies.

Your on the right track OP...Sorta. Gaming forums in general are negative. When you give negative people a platform they will use it -- its human nature for complainers to want to be heard.

WoW has been out for 8 years and, as we all know, is very successful; however their forums are filled with vitriol and hatred and doomsayers. Again, give the .01% a chance to be heard, and they will scream.

.01%, lmao, just wait for the free month to end and u'll be playing alone

Yes, I understand that there are haters on every videogame forum, no matter how good the game might be. However, there is always a faction of people who not only hate on the game, but they literally fear that the game they hate, could become the benchmark for future games of that genre.

Many people talk about how they believe story is getting in their way and how they hate how SWTOR is a game best enjoyed by leveling [experiencing the story] instead of more traditional MMO means. If SWTOR gets really big, developers could take note and future AAA MMOs could be more like SWTOR and less like the traditional MMO formula. So not only do they hate the game, but they fear the game's potential.

The problem as I see it OP is the loss of epeen. Swtor is a game that is enjoyable by the masses and does not concentrate on epeen waving thus offending the soapbox hardcore wannabees. You saw them come out on the forums recently after smashIng their way to 50 and claim that there was nothing to do. Problem with that was that nobody cared then or now. These guys are terrified that their snowflakes have melted before they even hit the ground; and for the most part they Indeed have.

Panic ensued and these same people took to the forums in an attempt to destroy the game by way of bad publicity. This is failing also. The rest of us meanwhile are reveling in our new game and just enjoying all that it has to offer. once the free month has passed and these guy head back to WoW you will see this game flourish with content and good times for all. The haters will be back in the Barrens talking about Chuck Norris' school of Panda studies.

In a way, I cannot wait for Guild Wars 2 or the Kung Fu Panda WoW expansion comes out, that way many "SWTOR haters" will have something to do besides bashing SWTOR on these forums.

Yes, I understand that there are haters on every videogame forum, no matter how good the game might be. However, there is always a faction of people who not only hate on the game, but they literally fear that the game they hate, could become the benchmark for future games of that genre.

Many people talk about how they believe story is getting in their way and how they hate how SWTOR is a game best enjoyed by leveling [experiencing the story] instead of more traditional MMO means. If SWTOR gets really big, developers could take note and future AAA MMOs could be more like SWTOR and less like the traditional MMO formula. So not only do they hate the game, but they fear the game's potential.

You are drawing illogical conclusions. Claiming to dislike an aspect of ANYTHING does not mean someone fears it.

This is not hard to understand. I dislike asparagus, but I do not FEAR its influence. Christ.

.01%, lmao, just wait for the free month to end and u'll be playing alone

Bye. <Waves hand>

What angers you most: The fact you dislike SWTOR, or the fact the cheers of 1.5 million players are starting to drown out your complaint

They do fear it, clearing a difficult raid encounter and bragging about it and showing off their epics and calling others noobs is the only part in life where they excell at something, take that away and they would have no where to turn to. That is scary and thus I support the notion that we should pat them on the back when they scream "world first" even if it wasn't and agree with them when they call 2million people noobs.

On a serious note, I dohope this is the future of MMO's, MMO' up until now was the famous drug formula, take something fun, make it more addictive and make sure they cannot quit=steady income of money

Some MMO's were good and wedid not mind too much. But why can't an MMO be like a normal game? because if you can get people to sub ALL the time you get MORE cash, simple. But BW takes a leap here, yes it has elements to keepyou subscirbing, but it also tries to offer you a REAL game with a story. Not another level cap, purple loot and coffee break for a year all while gamers spend tons of cash and time to get those purples that next year are obsolete and rinse and repeat.

SWTOR is giving me back a hope for the future of MMO's and hopefully I get to play SWTOR for years for the entertainment value and not just grinding like amindless drone.

You've stated this argument in another thread. Try expanding, please.

Expand it? To what? It pretty much says it all. English is my only language, so I am unable to write this in another one. What language is your primary one, and I will try to help through Googling.

Sorry?

You are drawing illogical conclusions. Claiming to dislike an aspect of ANYTHING does not mean someone fears it.

This is not hard to understand. I dislike asparagus, but I do not FEAR its influence. Christ.

#1 I never claimed my solution as fact, I clearly outlined it as an opinion.

#2 I never claimed that my solution is valid for EVERYONE who dislikes SWTOR, but only as a small faction of people. One hundred people might dislike SWTOR, but only five or ten of them might dislike SWTOR because they fear it might become too big.

#3 Thanks for replying to my thread.

Hard to believe, but there certainly ARE people who want this game to fail. I've met a few myself.

Its really sad when you think about it.

This is the point I am trying to make. I am not saying that EVERYONE thinks like this, but I am not denying that there are some who DO think like this. They might want it to fail because they don't want developers to use SWTOR as the baseline formula for future MMOs. Or they might want SWTOR to fail because they do not want everyone to be playing SWTOR which would mean that the MMOs that they [haters] do like might be low populated because everyone is playing SWTOR.

Hell, people were already bad mouthing SWTOR before it even came out!

I'll keep this short but hear me out. SWTOR is obviously not for everyone, especially if you are one of those old school MMO traditionalist who believes the real purpose behind MMOs is endgame and etc.....

With that being said, they do not like how SWTOR has a focus on leveling and not endgame. They do not like how SWTOR is bringing in people [such as myself] who are not traditional MMO players but rather single player gamers whos ONLY reason behind playing SWTOR is the promise of story and the ability to literally play it as a single player game if chosen to. The haters fear that if SWTOR grows and becomes really popular, then SWTOR would be used or could be used as the benchmark for future MMOs meaning future AAA MMOs will have emphasis on story.....interactive dialog....cutscenes and everything else that SWTOR does with the 4th Pillar of story.

These haters have already made up their mind that they do not like SWTOR and will either go back to other current MMOs, or just hold out until Guild Wars 2. However, because they fear that SWTOR could grow, they do not want their current MMOs or future MMOs [GW2] to be lacking in population because everyone is playing SWTOR.

So BASICALLY, the people against SWTOR pretty much want to sabatoge the popularity of SWTOR with the hopes that everyone jumps off of the "SWTOR bandwagon" and play other MMOs or hold out for future MMOs. I mean why is it that the people who supposendly have cancelled their subscription still post here? Why is it that the people who have came to the conclusion that they gate SWTOR.....continue to post here? Why is it that the most passionate opinions about SWTOR tend to be the negative ones?

The haters are pissed off becuase this game was not ready for launch and anyone who says different is just in denial.

On a serious note, I do hope this is the future of MMO's,

I wish! But I highly doubt it. The money and development time required to code this masterpiece is way out of the reach of most developers. Bioware is one of the very few gaming companies with the resources to pull this off. You will continue to see WoW-clones from the others unfortunatly (see Rift, and the upcoming GW2 as examples).

For the love of god do you actually believe people are here complaining because they WANT the game to fail?

Did you ever consider that many are sick of WoW and other MMO's and are completely disappointed and aghast at the horrible flaws in TOR?

The biggest problem for me is that there are simply TO MANY issues that BW will not fix fast enough, and this game will die as even the most patient of players loses patience with one of the very many issues it has right now.

Believe me I've seen it all before, many times.

I actually believe some people have nothing better to do with themselves then to attempt to influence others with lies. Seeing how far a 'rumor' will go is some peoples whole lives, as pathetic as it is. I see it everyday. Person A tells Lie X to Person B, Person C (knows for a fact Lie X is a lie) persuades Person B Lie X is true, because Lie Y proves it. This goes on until everyone is convinced Lie X happened because of its rampant knowledge. Person A and Person C sit back and smile with content theyve outsmarted the masses.

Horrible Flaws? Interesting you describe them that way, yet give no factual evidence they are actually horrible. But you have no problem insinuating they are 'aghast' and 'horrible' because this again, looking back at my first paragraph is another way to influence others opinions of whats going on.

They can never make enough levels fast enough. In addition static content will always be more expensive, the fastest consumed, and the hardest to replace as the game progresses. For the alternate example: Pvp content is the cheapest to implement with the greatest curve ratio. It is dynamic. With so little they will replay the content over and over and over.. making it different by the live element. It take very little in the way of coding. Give them a flag. Give them a leader ladder.. they will cross the same ground hundreds of times.

I am not here advocating pvp. I just used as an example. Dynamic content and the speed.. as opposed to the static content and how long it takes. :(

Expand it? To what? It pretty much says it all. English is my only language, so I am unable to write this in another one. What language is your primary one, and I will try to help through Googling.

Sorry?

Fine, continue to be a broken record. Stating that "people that dislike the game are being drown out by those who like it" is actually NOT an argument.

Given that it is NOT an argument I think you have fairly free reign to explain why someone is wrong in their perspective by using logical conclusions drawn from time spent in game. There you go.