Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

ETA on Advanced Class change?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
ETA on Advanced Class change?

Grayseven's Avatar


Grayseven
06.11.2013 , 08:51 PM | #921
Quote: Originally Posted by Ratajack View Post
A class change is a class change, whether that be from a shadow to vanguard or from a shadow to sage. I do not think that is a can of worms that is worth opening.

Sometimes it is better not to give that mouse his cookie, or to set foot upon the slippery slope.

In the words of a very wise being:
The dark side is "Quicker, easier, more seductive", but "Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will..."
I have to disagree on this. Class change is a completely different set of circumstances if for no other reason than the class story line. Advanced classes, while different, aren't such a big change to inspire such negativity.

Creating a new character means going back through the same exact story line...again. Allowing advanced class changes wouldn't upset anything. Yeah, some classes would have to re-gear but that isn't hard to do. Learning new rotations is simple as well so I can't see any justification in opposing AC changes.

There isn't any slippery slope or worm cans involved in allowing AC. It wouldn't lead to allowing regular class changes if, again, only because of the story lines for each class.
"50 Grades of Shae", a heart-warming novel about a Mandalorian that delivers beat-downs and assigns grades to her victims.

branmakmuffin's Avatar


branmakmuffin
06.11.2013 , 11:00 PM | #922
Quote: Originally Posted by Ratajack View Post
A class change is a class change, whether that be from a shadow to vanguard or from a shadow to sage. I do not think that is a can of worms that is worth opening.
If you're going to equate Shadow -> Sage with Shadow -> Vanguard (or similar), your arguments are going to look even sillier than they already do.

Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
Don't be lazy. Think it through. Suggest a solution for this gear problem on a swap that's better than "too bad, he saw a popup message"
It's not a big deal because the only person affected is the player doing the AC change. If he or she can't be bothered to be aware that going from Guardian to Sentinel will require different armor (and that's assuming the character is not wearing adaptive armor), why should anyone else care? It's still just a game. No one's gonna die because their computer game character is poorly equipped.

spectreclees's Avatar


spectreclees
06.11.2013 , 11:07 PM | #923
Quote: Originally Posted by Grayseven View Post
I have to disagree on this. Class change is a completely different set of circumstances if for no other reason than the class story line. Advanced classes, while different, aren't such a big change to inspire such negativity.

Creating a new character means going back through the same exact story line...again. Allowing advanced class changes wouldn't upset anything. Yeah, some classes would have to re-gear but that isn't hard to do. Learning new rotations is simple as well so I can't see any justification in opposing AC changes.

There isn't any slippery slope or worm cans involved in allowing AC. It wouldn't lead to allowing regular class changes if, again, only because of the story lines for each class.
It doesn't mean you have to do the story again. There are alternative methods to leveling now and with Double XP weekends coming back. You don't even have to touch it. Stop making excuses to make them allow you to change your class.
Referral link for 7 days of free game time and a starter pack.

branmakmuffin's Avatar


branmakmuffin
06.11.2013 , 11:11 PM | #924
Quote: Originally Posted by spectreclees View Post
It doesn't mean you have to do the story again. There are alternative methods to leveling now and with Double XP weekends coming back. You don't even have to touch it. Stop making excuses to make them allow you to change your class.
Stop stating that "advanced class" is the same as "class" as if that matter is totally settled when it clearly is not. Brushing aside a highly debatable proposition to make your argument doesn't earn you any points in the Argument Clinic.

PeterTLJr's Avatar


PeterTLJr
06.11.2013 , 11:40 PM | #925
for those who care, i started a new thread to get more opinions on this as im starting to see more and more of the same names
id like you guys to continue debating about this if youd like
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=649896
In order to appreciate the Light, you must spend time in the Darkness.
Peace will win and fear will lose.

spectreclees's Avatar


spectreclees
06.11.2013 , 11:58 PM | #926
Quote: Originally Posted by branmakmuffin View Post
Stop stating that "advanced class" is the same as "class" as if that matter is totally settled when it clearly is not. Brushing aside a highly debatable proposition to make your argument doesn't earn you any points in the Argument Clinic.
Sorry but it is. You can argue you it all you like. I have posted many times in this thread why it is. You can search for those. I won't waste my time typing out why.
Referral link for 7 days of free game time and a starter pack.

Khevar's Avatar


Khevar
06.12.2013 , 12:12 AM | #927
Quote: Originally Posted by branmakmuffin View Post
It's not a big deal because the only person affected is the player doing the AC change. If he or she can't be bothered to be aware that going from Guardian to Sentinel will require different armor (and that's assuming the character is not wearing adaptive armor), why should anyone else care? It's still just a game. No one's gonna die because their computer game character is poorly equipped.
Let's take your statement above and rewrite it to apply to AC swapping:
Quote:
It's not a big deal because the only person affected is the player who picked his AC. If he or she can't be bothered to be aware that once you pick Guardian you can't change it to a Sentinel (and that's assuming the player leveled far enough that he doesn't want to reroll), why should anyone else care that he wants to change? It's still just a game. No one's gonna die because their computer game character can't switch to the opposite AC.
You don't think the gear incompatibility is a big deal and that problem doesn't need to be solved.

Well I don't think AC swapping is a big deal and doesn't need to be solved either.

LordArtemis's Avatar


LordArtemis
06.12.2013 , 01:05 AM | #928
Mechanics change if you roll a new character. That is why pointing out it changes mechanics is a moot point. So does rolling a new character and getting rid of the original character. Depending on when the change is allowed, both methods have the same result...the player is playing something new.

The issue should be the effect it has by allowing a character to level one way and change to another at certain points in the leveling process.

Not to mention that the Market and F2P changed the fundamental mechanics of the entire game, arguably much more than an AC change ever would.

branmakmuffin's Avatar


branmakmuffin
06.12.2013 , 11:12 AM | #929
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
Let's take your statement above and rewrite it to apply to AC swapping:

You don't think the gear incompatibility is a big deal and that problem doesn't need to be solved.

Well I don't think AC swapping is a big deal and doesn't need to be solved either.
The difference is that BWEA would add AC swapping if they believe they would make money by charging 100s of CCs to do it.

Quote: Originally Posted by spectreclees View Post
Sorry but it is. You can argue you it all you like. I have posted many times in this thread why it is. You can search for those. I won't waste my time typing out why.
Sorry, but it's not. You can argue all you like. It's been posted many times why it's not. You can search for those. I won't waste my time typing out why.

Khevar's Avatar


Khevar
06.12.2013 , 11:23 AM | #930
Quote: Originally Posted by branmakmuffin View Post
The difference is that BWEA would add AC swapping if they believe they would make money by charging 100s of CCs to do it.
Don't you think that's a rather poor reason to ask for a feature to be added to a game? "Because the corporation would make money off of it?"

They could offer Kell Dragon gear for cartel coins and it would make money. They could offer an "instant level 55 token for cartel coins" and it would make money. Note: I'm NOT trying to say that an AC swap is the same as an instant level 50. That isn't my point. My point is that "they would add it if they believe it could make money" is an inadequate reason to make game design changes.

If someone wants to lobby for a feature to be added to the game, they should a) argue why it would be beneficial for the game, b) why it wouldn't be harmful for the game, and c) think of potential ramifications and suggest a bright idea for implementation.

Any player that wants to swap ACs from a Guardian/Jugg -> Sent/Mara is at a disadvantage over every other type of AC swap in the game, due to their gear becoming useless. If AC swapping is so important to you that you want to lobby for it's inclusion, take a little responsibility for your request and come up with a suggestion to deal with this imbalance.

"It's no big deal" isn't an answer. AC swapping is "no big deal" either, and yet it's important enough for you to argue on it's behalf daily.