Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

ETA on Advanced Class change?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
ETA on Advanced Class change?

LordArtemis
01.08.2016 , 02:00 AM | #5821
It is just plain silly to cling to the outdated notion that AC means anything anymore IMO. Your base class is the only thing that has any meaning at present, and that is only because it determines your storyline.

AC is just a container for a playstyle, and like any other setup it should be something that folks can change.

Vhaegrant
01.08.2016 , 07:14 AM | #5822
Quote: Originally Posted by knowmyname View Post
How easy is it to level a new character?

Oh and holy %\^\*{+| welcome to 2016.

Why was a 2013 post allowed to resurrect?
The ease with which you can level a character is a poor argument for considering an AC swap function.
If it's so easy to level a character then it shouldn't be a concern how someone sets their AC.
As it stands you can purchase a fresh level 60 with cartel coins (comes with a free character slot too).
Every time something makes getting a max level character easier it undermines the argument against considering an AC swap function.

It may have been started in 2013 but it's been bubbling away ever since.

Strajder
01.09.2016 , 05:54 AM | #5823
Quote: Originally Posted by LordArtemis View Post
It is just plain silly to cling to the outdated notion that AC means anything anymore IMO. Your base class is the only thing that has any meaning at present, and that is only because it determines your storyline.

AC is just a container for a playstyle, and like any other setup it should be something that folks can change.
Reality are people in finder ops and HM flashpoints who queue as tanks being a DPS, just to get the pop faster. Also those who queue for them underleveled and undergeared, "because bolster", and then fail epically because bolster doesn't increase secondary stats like Defense, Shield and Absorb rating.

AC swap would just be adding fuel to the fire of noobery and laziness.

Aries_cz
01.09.2016 , 06:32 AM | #5824
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthSpuds View Post
I'm 45 years old.

I left school with barely any qualifications worthy of the name: that's my basic Class taken care of.

My first job was installing garage doors: Advanced Class.
I later switched Advanced Class and worked as a ground-labourer.
Then I went back into education, and got a Master's Degree in Ancient History & Archaeology.
Then I switched AC again and was making photograph frames for a Graduation Photography company.
Then I switched AC again and made precision interior components for the automotive industry - including working with/for Lotus, Bentley and Jaguar.
I then switched AC again to my current employment, where I work helping manage a theatre with a 1Million+ turnover.

Yeah, switching Advanced Classes is such a stupid idea, never happens in reality.

All The Best
Not really.
More like Your class is the high school, and Advanced class being university.
What you described is swapping Crew Skills
Supreme Commander of all riots yet to come
Without the darkness, how would we recognize the light?
Aries, admin of Czech/Slovak fansite SW-TOR.cz
Check out my story videos or support me by clicking my Referral Link

Frenesi
01.09.2016 , 06:35 AM | #5825
Quote: Originally Posted by Strajder View Post
Reality are people in finder ops and HM flashpoints who queue as tanks being a DPS, just to get the pop faster. Also those who queue for them underleveled and undergeared, "because bolster", and then fail epically because bolster doesn't increase secondary stats like Defense, Shield and Absorb rating.

Exactly. All of the ACs, outside of mara/jugg, are ABSOLUTELY different. Being a good sage will not make you good shadow. Being a ****** sage...

Stop the cancer killing grouping.
I just dropped in
To see in what condition my condition was in

Referal with some free crap.

therandyman
01.09.2016 , 09:32 AM | #5827
Quote: Originally Posted by PorsaLindahl View Post
This thread needs to just...die. And stay dead.
Those who want AC change want it badly. Those who don't want it, despise it vehemently.

And the devs have said "No", in words and actions.

De Nile is not just a river in Egypt.
Referral link. Thank you for your support. Enjoy your freebies!

LordArtemis
01.10.2016 , 12:04 AM | #5828
Lol. Folks desperately holding on to any shred of the old game they can.

If you think that the current devs actually hold the same kind of notions that the original devs had about AC, I would wager you would find you are sorely mistaken.

I think you would find, instead, that the current devs feel AC is no more important than spec, and the only reason they have not offered AC swap up to this point is there simply isnt a good reason to do so.

Seriously guys....AC stopped being important long ago, and lost almost all meaning after 4.0. It just doesn't matter any more.

mcfardo
01.10.2016 , 09:39 AM | #5829
Quote: Originally Posted by SW_display_name View Post
So, the Species Change and Barber Shop mentioned in the Dulfy interview from months ago are finally realities. That's a good sign! It means the devs are actually serious about their "Yeah, we'd like to do that" statements.

In that same interview, it was mentioned that Advanced Class changes were also on the table and likely to happen. I'm curious if the community team can update us on whether there's any time-table for when this will be implemented.

Ideally, I'd love it to be a switch you can unlock, then flip any time finally allowing me to Tank & Heal with one character.

But in reality I'm sure it will cost like 6000 Cartel Coins to unlock it, then another 2000 Cartel Coins every time you switch (discounted 3.2% for subscribers, of course) with a 2 month cooldown. Oh well, what can you do? As a start, I'd be happy just to have the option in-game, in any form.

So! Does BioWare have any upcoming plans for this that can be shared with us?

~~~

Edit: While I am proud of how much you are feeding the Dark Side with your blind anger and hate, and vehement vows of impossibility, let me remind you of (source):

We got the Species part. That makes the AC part also have a lot of credibility.

So anyway, any ETA or news, community team?
I can care less about being able to change my AC. How about some new character classes? I've been playing this game for almost 5 years and there has not been a new character class along with the associated advanced classes.

Vhaegrant
01.11.2016 , 02:21 AM | #5830
Quote: Originally Posted by Strajder View Post

Quote: Originally Posted by Frenesi View Post
Exactly. All of the ACs, outside of mara/jugg, are ABSOLUTELY different. Being a good sage will not make you good shadow. Being a ****** sage...

Stop the cancer killing grouping.
I've never really understood why the 'Noobs in group finder' gets used as an argument against allowing AC swap.

The biggest issue is the lack of any real challenge while levelling and more specifically the lack of any role specific training.
The vast majority of players unused to a typical MMO will coast through the levelling experience and then hit a bewildering transition from single player into end game. I would argue that many of the training wheels have been removed or never quite functioned as intended.
[Heroic 4] were a good idea to broaden group content while levelling but were usually more effort than they were worth to find a group for (scattered populations of players locked into their own solo story mode are reluctant to take the time out to group up for a random run at a H4). The same could be said for the old Flashpoints that were scattered through the levelling process. Even that limited exposure to role specific rotations is pretty much extinct now that [H4]s have been removed and most FPs have a tactical mode.
It would be nice to see the devs include some content for players to practice their role outside of fully fledged FPs and Operations. Something with a bit more integration than a training dummy in the cargo hold and the need to run 3rd party parsing apps.
Another area would just be some harder stand alone fights to pit yourself against. The original content of Rise of the Hutt Cartel had a couple of non-repeatable mini-boss fights in the Imperial playthrough (never saw any comparison in the Republic side) the Isotope-5 droid and the Archon. Both fights were non-role specific though and so some disciplines had a far easier time of it than others, but they started to give an insight to a solo player of proper FP/OPs boss fights. Unfortunately, they were one shot deals and have now been significantly nerfed.

One area that has been improved considerably is on the gear front. I've never understood the fascination MMOs have of presenting end game gear in such a bewildering array of statistics with diminishing returns. Any game mechanic that requires you to resort to a 3rd party product to start to understand it is a poor game mechanic. It may appeal to those theory crafters out there but not to the vast majority of players transitioning from single player content to group content.

So, AC swap would be in such high demand that it would make unskilled players an ever greater burden on end game content. Surely this argument was put to bed with the inclusion of paid for level 60s that can be levelled to max in a couple of hours. Not to mention the ability to switch roles, level as DPS then decide to enter end game as a Tank.

The best solution if you have a problem with the quality of players in the Group Finder queue is the same as it has always been. Invest a little time in networking. The easiest way, find a guild that shares your focus (I'm bewildered at why the devs removed their prelaunch guild site, it would have been an amazing app to have standing alongside the forums) If guilds aren't your thing, if you do a FP or OP with people that play well ask to put them on your friends list (this is great if you tend to play at unsocial hours and finding guilds with enough folk on is a challenge).

What you should stop doing is thinking that GF just exists to facilitate easy OPs runs for you. I suspect many that have a seeming allergy to Noobs in GF are DPS players that have playstyles that make them unsuitable for a guild environment.