Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

ETA on Advanced Class change?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
ETA on Advanced Class change?

Khevar's Avatar


Khevar
05.15.2014 , 04:43 PM | #4921
Quote: Originally Posted by Jeweledleah View Post
I used to hate my operative when she was that level. she felt awful at healing, its like I couldn't do anything at all. operative healing is now my favorite in a game, and I didn't know that I would actualy like it, until I got my keystone talent. (back then it was at 40, now its at 45)
I just had to comment, I had exactly the same experience. Although for me it happened at 31 when I unlocked Surgical Probe and Surgical Precision. Suddenly I felt like an actual healer. Up until that point I really didn't like the class at all, exacerbated by the fact that Kaliyo is fingernails on a blackboard to me.

I actually abandoned my operative at level 25 or something for the longest time, until I unlocked HK-51. He alone helped push me through to the point where I found I liked that class after all.

Superman_AZ's Avatar


Superman_AZ
05.15.2014 , 04:53 PM | #4922
Quote: Originally Posted by ekwalizer View Post
I just kind of left it hanging out there that it is a bad idea. You are exactly right, AC respec will not create any renewed bond to a character, nor will it ensure that people remain subbed longer. Furthermore it will not hook long gone players into coming back for the long haul. Every game pitches a gimmick to get players back and they work to varying degrees for a month or so, then people remember why they left int he first place and go back to wherever their grass was most recently greener.

As an aside, and in no way related to the quote above: I certainly do not believe that Bioware/EA should pander to the F2P population. The "whales" of the CM, are not F2Pers, the whales are subscribers. So any argument to be made about how many F2Pers want this is irrelevant because they are not the people keeping this game in the black.
/Agreed
"Be yourself, no one can ever tell you you're doing it wrong." ~ James Leo Herlihy

Superman_AZ's Avatar


Superman_AZ
05.15.2014 , 04:58 PM | #4923
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
Unless I misunderstand what you mean by Dual Spec, this doesn't necessarily follow.

We have a sort of "dual spec" right now. It just requires you to purchase "Field Respec", hit the "Reset" button, click your talents, drag the abilities to the hotbar, and (optionally) put on your other set of gear.

The only thing an in-game dual spec would do is to automate that activity. It's more of a quality of life issue, really.
Dual spec is a bit more QoL than field respec. It allows you to store a skill tree setting, and hotbars based on that spec. So a Powertech Tank could go DPS with the click of a button, do a recharge, and have all of his talents (from his last activation) waiting for him. Much the same way dual spec works in World of Warcraft and some other MMOs. Advanced class swapping is like going PowerTech to Merc because you feel the need to do better DPS, or want to respec for PvP. Essentially, Dual spec allows you to easily change your skill tree, where AC swap allows you to easily skip having to level another Bounty Hunter.
"Be yourself, no one can ever tell you you're doing it wrong." ~ James Leo Herlihy

ZahirS's Avatar


ZahirS
05.15.2014 , 05:00 PM | #4924
Not,

Believe it or not recent posts are LIES, Advanced class respec will prolong the game of SWTOR for all of us.

/Sign this

Superman_AZ's Avatar


Superman_AZ
05.15.2014 , 05:02 PM | #4925
Quote: Originally Posted by ZahirS View Post
Not,

Believe it or not recent posts are LIES, Advanced class respec will prolong the game of SWTOR for all of us.

/Sign this
Got tired of letting folks think for themselves and decided to take matters into your own hands again?
"Be yourself, no one can ever tell you you're doing it wrong." ~ James Leo Herlihy

Khevar's Avatar


Khevar
05.15.2014 , 05:03 PM | #4926
Quote: Originally Posted by Superman_AZ View Post
Dual spec is a bit more QoL than field respec. It allows you to store a skill tree setting, and hotbars based on that spec. So a Powertech Tank could go DPS with the click of a button, do a recharge, and have all of his talents (from his last activation) waiting for him.
Help me understand your point here.

Is there anything that a "proper" Dual Spec would do for the SWTOR player other than save X seconds of time doing the respec by hand? In other words, would Dual Spec allow the player to do something he or she couldn't already do (albeit slowly)?

As compared to an AC swap, which would give the player the ability to do something that he or she cannot do at all.

Superman_AZ's Avatar


Superman_AZ
05.15.2014 , 05:04 PM | #4927
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
I just had to comment, I had exactly the same experience. Although for me it happened at 31 when I unlocked Surgical Probe and Surgical Precision. Suddenly I felt like an actual healer. Up until that point I really didn't like the class at all, exacerbated by the fact that Kaliyo is fingernails on a blackboard to me.

I actually abandoned my operative at level 25 or something for the longest time, until I unlocked HK-51. He alone helped push me through to the point where I found I liked that class after all.
That is another concern as well. You may never know if you like the class if you can just change it willy-nilly and never really give it an honest shot.
"Be yourself, no one can ever tell you you're doing it wrong." ~ James Leo Herlihy

Superman_AZ's Avatar


Superman_AZ
05.15.2014 , 05:08 PM | #4928
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
Help me understand your point here.

Is there anything that a "proper" Dual Spec would do for the SWTOR player other than save X seconds of time doing the respec by hand? In other words, would Dual Spec allow the player to do something he or she couldn't already do (albeit slowly)?

As compared to an AC swap, which would give the player the ability to do something that he or she cannot do at all.
Correct, to a point. Dual spec would improve the speed an efficiency of changing from Tank, to DPS... or DPS to Healer. Or even PvE DPS to PvP DPS. AC swap allows you to change your Sith healer into a sith tank, your Ranged Sniper into a shortrange healer, your single wield Jedi guardian into a dual wield jedi sentinel. Dual spec allows you to modify the class you chose. AC swap allows you to skip the class you chose and do something else, like not having to level another class.
"Be yourself, no one can ever tell you you're doing it wrong." ~ James Leo Herlihy

Khevar's Avatar


Khevar
05.15.2014 , 05:32 PM | #4929
Quote: Originally Posted by Superman_AZ View Post
Correct, to a point. Dual spec would improve the speed an efficiency of changing from Tank, to DPS... or DPS to Healer. Or even PvE DPS to PvP DPS. AC swap allows you to change your Sith healer into a sith tank, your Ranged Sniper into a shortrange healer, your single wield Jedi guardian into a dual wield jedi sentinel. Dual spec allows you to modify the class you chose. AC swap allows you to skip the class you chose and do something else, like not having to level another class.
Groovy. I believe we are in accord.

I'm still a bit confused by this:
Quote: Originally Posted by Superman_AZ View Post
If we got Dual spec first, then Dual AC could feasibly follow imo.
I don't see why Dual AC could feasible follow if Dual Spec were added. It just seems they are completely different kettles of fish.

Adding Dual AC's would do a lot more than save a minute of game time.

Superman_AZ's Avatar


Superman_AZ
05.15.2014 , 06:35 PM | #4930
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
Adding Dual AC's would do a lot more than save a minute of game time.
Does more than safe a few minutes. It saves DAYS of having to play another Advanced class character. Randomly swapping from Powertech to Merc just because you wanted to play the other class means you no longer have need of two characters. You can do it all with one character. By having one BH instead of two, you are cutting your play time in half, and the amount of CC you might spend gearing your Merc to match your PowerTech.

From a business perspective, especially one focused in an MMO, it makes no financial sense to allow someone to skip playing/gearing a 2nd character and costing them a potential sub/CM sale. There are so many other worthwhile ideas to add to the game, that MAKE them money, why would they invest time and resources on a feature that may LOSE them money in the long run?
"Be yourself, no one can ever tell you you're doing it wrong." ~ James Leo Herlihy