Suggestion: Have alts idle in stronghold, if logged out within a stronghold.

nilssen

Here's how I read it, using three example character names, Kylath, Tikreva and Bentarik:

* Kylath goes into a stronghold, stands *there*, and then logs out.

* Tikreva then goes in there and looks *there*, and she will see Kylath. She logs out somewhere else in the same room.

* Bentarik goes in, and he will be able to see both Kylath and Tikreva. He also logs out in that room

* Kylath logs back in, and she sees both Tikreva and Bentarik. She goes off to do soemthing else, and logs out outside the stronghold.

* Bentarik logs in again, and he sees Tikreva but not Kylath.

I can see it having some nasty interactions with the NPC limit for strongholds, but I don't see any other (technical) reason why not.

What would they wear?

In one of my strongholds I have a room with Ashara, Jaesa, Kira, and Nadia. If I log in on a Consular Nadia is wearing whatever outfit I put on Nadia, but the others are wearing default outfits. I log in on a Sorcerer and Ashara is wearing whatever outfit I put on Ashara, but the others are wearing default outfits. I log in on a Knight and the others are wearing default outfits but Kira is naked because the deco for Kira has been bugged since 6.0.

So, what would they wear?

What would they wear?

In one of my strongholds I have a room with Ashara, Jaesa, Kira, and Nadia. If I log in on a Consular Nadia is wearing whatever outfit I put on Nadia, but the others are wearing default outfits. I log in on a Sorcerer and Ashara is wearing whatever outfit I put on Ashara, but the others are wearing default outfits. I log in on a Knight and the others are wearing default outfits but Kira is naked because the deco for Kira has been bugged since 6.0.

So, what would they wear?

Alts, not Companions. So they would probably be wearing whatever they wear when the player plays that character.

Alts, not Companions. So they would probably be wearing whatever they wear when the player plays that character.

I am aware and you missed the point. What does the game not currently do? The game does not currently track what a companion is wearing from one character to the next. If the game can not do that then why should we expect that it can do that with our PC's? Perhaps it is a limitation they can overcome. Perhaps not, and if not then what are our characters going to wear?

Here is another problem. Let us say that they can make it so that one character can see another character's outfit, how do they handle items that look one way to Republic characters and a different way to Imperial characters? If I log out on my Republic character in one of those items and log in on an Imperial character does the Imperial character see the Republic character in the Republic version of the outfit or the Imperial?

I am aware and you missed the point. What does the game not currently do? The game does not currently track what a companion is wearing from one character to the next. If the game can not do that then why should we expect that it can do that with our PC's? Perhaps it is a limitation they can overcome. Perhaps not, and if not then what are our characters going to wear?

It *does* track what that companion is wearing for *this* character. If you log in on Warrior'one, he sees (dark) Jaesa wearing Dark Advisor because that's what *his* Jaesa wears. If you then log in on Warrior'two, she sees Jaesa wearing Veteran Outlander MK-8 because that's what *her* Jaesa wears.

Warrior'three is junior and has only just met Vette, while Warrior'four has progressed far enough to recruit *light* Jaesa. Since the decoration is of *dark* Jaesa, both of them will see the dark Jaesa decoration in holo form wearing DSJ's default.

In such a case, Trooper-alpha sees the default outfit as well, since the "dark Jaesa companion" slot is (a) unavailable and (b) outfitted with default gear. It wouldn't make sense for it to be otherwise, since there isn't *one* definitive look for DSJ on such an account.

So no, the behaviour you cite is *correct* for companions, but as noted, the request is not about *companions*.

Here is another problem. Let us say that they can make it so that one character can see another character's outfit, how do they handle items that look one way to Republic characters and a different way to Imperial characters? If I log out on my Republic character in one of those items and log in on an Imperial character does the Imperial character see the Republic character in the Republic version of the outfit or the Imperial?

That's a faire question, and my view is that in the case you cite they *should* have the Pubside appearance, just as e.g. Lana wears Impside looks no matter which faction the player character is from. If the look follows the logged-in character's faction rather than the original character's faction, that would be a bug, absolutely for sure.

That's a faire question, and my view is that in the case you cite they *should* have the Pubside appearance, just as e.g. Lana wears Impside looks no matter which faction the player character is from. If the look follows the logged-in character's faction rather than the original character's faction, that would be a bug, absolutely for sure.

Which could be a notable problem considering that the bug with variable appearance items suddenly changing between gameplay and cutscene is still present. (Playing last night, Targeter's Jacket on Vector went from Imp standing there to Pub when a conversation scene with him started.)

It *does* track what that companion is wearing for *this* character. If you log in on Warrior'one, he sees (dark) Jaesa wearing Dark Advisor because that's what *his* Jaesa wears. If you then log in on Warrior'two, she sees Jaesa wearing Veteran Outlander MK-8 because that's what *her* Jaesa wears.

Warrior'three is junior and has only just met Vette, while Warrior'four has progressed far enough to recruit *light* Jaesa. Since the decoration is of *dark* Jaesa, both of them will see the dark Jaesa decoration in holo form wearing DSJ's default.

In such a case, Trooper-alpha sees the default outfit as well, since the "dark Jaesa companion" slot is (a) unavailable and (b) outfitted with default gear. It wouldn't make sense for it to be otherwise, since there isn't *one* definitive look for DSJ on such an account.

So no, the behaviour you cite is *correct* for companions, but as noted, the request is not about *companions*.

For the last time. I know the request is not about companions. I clearly understand the behavior that you so kindly explained to me since I already explained that behavior above. I am using companions as an example to illustrate how this is going to fail. The problems that are going to come up. If the game can not track outfits from one character to the next then what are our characters going to wear?

For the last time. I know the request is not about companions. I clearly understand the behavior that you so kindly explained to me since I already explained that behavior above. I am using companions as an example to illustrate how this is going to fail. The problems that are going to come up. If the game can not track outfits from one character to the next then what are our characters going to wear?

It *can* track *companion* outfits from one character to the next. They *always* use *this* character's appearance for the companion because *nothing*else*makes*sense*.

The "this character's appearance" for a companion that the character cannot have is (and can only be) the default one, in part because there isn't *guaranteed* to be any other one thing the game can use. Refer back to my example, where there are two different appearances for DSJ, depending on which Sith Warrior we look at. If a character that does not (or even *cannot*) have DSJ looks at the decoration, what exactly *should* it show? The one who placed it in the appearance at that time? The one who placed it in the current appearance? The last one who has the companion who logged in? The last one who has the companion who went in the stronghold? What if the last one who logged in and went into the stronghold (assuming that it's the same for both conditions) has post-return DSJ and the one who's looking now is a Warrior who hasn't yet acquired either Jaesa? What does it show in this case? (It should logically be that other characters "pre-KotFE" DSJ, since *this* character is pre-KotFE, and should therefore be in her skivvies...)

No, the only thing that makes sense is that every character has an entry in the companion table for *every* companion, and if the character has (for whatever reason) not yet acquired the companion, that entry shows the companion's default appearance. In the case of same-class companions, it should show the pre-KotFE appearance, but it isn't clear for out-of-class companions - e.g. Ashara on a not-Inquisitor - whether it should show the pre-KotFE or post-return appearance.

It *can* track *companion* outfits from one character to the next. They *always* use *this* character's appearance for the companion because *nothing*else*makes*sense*.

The "this character's appearance" for a companion that the character cannot have is (and can only be) the default one, in part because there isn't *guaranteed* to be any other one thing the game can use. Refer back to my example, where there are two different appearances for DSJ, depending on which Sith Warrior we look at. If a character that does not (or even *cannot*) have DSJ looks at the decoration, what exactly *should* it show? The one who placed it in the appearance at that time? The one who placed it in the current appearance? The last one who has the companion who logged in? The last one who has the companion who went in the stronghold? What if the last one who logged in and went into the stronghold (assuming that it's the same for both conditions) has post-return DSJ and the one who's looking now is a Warrior who hasn't yet acquired either Jaesa? What does it show in this case? (It should logically be that other characters "pre-KotFE" DSJ, since *this* character is pre-KotFE, and should therefore be in her skivvies...)

No, the only thing that makes sense is that every character has an entry in the companion table for *every* companion, and if the character has (for whatever reason) not yet acquired the companion, that entry shows the companion's default appearance. In the case of same-class companions, it should show the pre-KotFE appearance, but it isn't clear for out-of-class companions - e.g. Ashara on a not-Inquisitor - whether it should show the pre-KotFE or post-return appearance.

Thank you for once again explaining to me something that I already know and already said with far fewer words than you did. I do not know why you feel the need to keep mansplaining something I already detailed and clearly already know how it works. Apparently you can not understand without a screenshot.

https://i.imgur.com/yYPRNPF.png

On my main account I placed Theron, Lana, and Senya. Then I logged into my alt account, which has all three of those companions. Theron and Lana are naked while Senya is wearing a default outfit. What will our characters wear because the game does not track outfits from one character to another?

• 2 weeks later...

In the original Guild Wars there eventually came a time when you could make "companions" (I forget what comps were called in GW) look like one of your characters. The particular 'look' was 'stamped' at the time you created the companion, and didn't change when/if the original character changed armor.

Similarly, it could be that the 'look' of an alt is set at the time the alt's model is placed into the SH, and visitors would see that 'look'. Or, it could be more dynamic and change as the character's 'look' changes.

One thing though, you'd obviously have to specifically 'choose' to place an alt in the SH, otherwise, those people with many, many alts would waste to many 'slots' on alts.

Also, you'd sort of have to 'place' the alts in the SH. If they just automatically appeared wherever you left them, you could end up with 20 alts all overlapping while standing in front of the Cargo Bay (or w/e). 🤔

Edited by JediQuaker

• 4 weeks later...
In the original Guild Wars there eventually came a time when you could make "companions" (I forget what comps were called in GW) look like one of your characters. The particular 'look' was 'stamped' at the time you created the companion, and didn't change when/if the original character changed armor.

Similarly, it could be that the 'look' of an alt is set at the time the alt's model is placed into the SH, and visitors would see that 'look'. Or, it could be more dynamic and change as the character's 'look' changes.

This would be a good idea, maybe the look would get updated only when the alt deco was taken away and replaced.

One thing though, you'd obviously have to specifically 'choose' to place an alt in the SH, otherwise, those people with many, many alts would waste to many 'slots' on alts.

Also, you'd sort of have to 'place' the alts in the SH. If they just automatically appeared wherever you left them, you could end up with 20 alts all overlapping while standing in front of the Cargo Bay (or w/e). 🤔

It would probably be placed like a deco, with the same rules, etc, so hopefully that won't happen...lol

Edited by DarkTergon

• 3 months later...
I would love to see this happen. I have so many Jedi and Sith Characters that I would love to place in my stronghold.

The proposal here is *not* "place in my stronghold" (which to me implies decorations), though. It is for a system where if I log character A out *in* a stronghold(1), character B can go into that stronghold and see character A.

The proposal here is *not* "place in my stronghold" (which to me implies decorations), though. It is for a system where if I log character A out *in* a stronghold(1), character B can go into that stronghold and see character A.

That I understand and I think it is a bad idea. However being able to place Alts as decorations is a great idea.