Ugly Loading Art

TEDHARVARD

Those new loading screens are starting to become a punishment.

Look... my apologies to any and all that worked on those, but there is a limit to preference and subjectivity. They are, in fact, inferior to the previous screens (that means they're bad.)

It wasn't broken. You shouldn't have fixed it.

And while we're at it, I really like the whole voice acting thing. I really do, but you need to consider how many time each thing will be heard before implementing. In the same update that you lessened the repetition of ship droids because everyone said it was annoying, you added speech to the med droids that get accessed way more often!

Lately, its this, "Engaging the enemy!" "Engaging the enemy!" "Engaging the enemy!"

Please, stop and think about these things before adding them. I have no life. This is what I do with a lot of my time. Stop making it so annoying!

lol

I've said the same thing about the main splash screen now. The fleet one looks good in my opinion, but that concept art one that is main looks terrible as a finished product in my opinion.

extra lol @ "engaging the enemy" comment

I agree the new loading screen art is fairly underwhelming, but you can just replace it by switching the names of the art files around in the SWTOR directory.

I like the new Fleet screens, though. It makes me feel like I'm 14 years old again and just discovered Photoshop and 3DSMax in my elective graphics course.

Ahaha, i agree completely,

I was sick of the original one, now this new one is even worse!. plus on the left hand side i can see the area my players in. its just all out of sync.

Id suggest a much cooler loading screen, or just make it a black screen with the blue loading bar.

FYI: You can replace the loading art.

Go online, find a nice HD copy of the original loading screen, go into your game files, find "loadingscreen" and rename your new image "loadingscreen"

Boom, your favorite loading sceen is back.

Go online, find a nice HD copy of the original loading screen, go into your game files, find "loadingscreen" and rename your new image "loadingscreen"

are you sure that works?

Edit: i tried it and it works lol, nice and thx for the tip....forget the old screen cause i have something else in mind :D

Edited by saremun

Look... my apologies to any and all that worked on those, but there is a limit to preference and subjectivity. They are, in fact, inferior to the previous screens (that means they're bad.)

There really isn't, especially when it comes to art of all things. You know what I think about people painting a canvas blue, saying that blue is their ~SPESHUL BLUE~ and rounding the edges of the canvas, which as I've been told, now means the canvas has no shape, and calling it a day? I'm sure you can imagine. That doesn't mean other people don't think that's art. (-> Yves Klein. Of course there's more to his art, but if I have to read two pages of explanation before it makes sense... well... it's just not my thing, to say the least.)

I think the image looks somewhat less sharp, a little "fuzzier" if that makes sense, but that's the only complaint I've got. It's not overly creative, but neither was the old one.

Basically, you can say you don't like it all you want, but that doesn't somehow objectively make it bad.

I do agree on repeating voice clips. This goes for all companions, too, but especially the Rep ship droid and the nonsensical things healers say. "Didn't lose you." Really now, Quinn? Here I thought putting on a new pair of boots was going to kill me. :rolleyes:

Or a nice looking brunette with long legs and.... what were we talking about again?

Edited by Hyfy

Those new loading screens are starting to become a punishment.

I would classify it as an annoyance, not a punishment. Punishment is when your Mom shuts of your internetz for not coming out of your cave often enough. :p Or, if you like... <insert mate> where I used "Mom".... it's equally relevant.

Any loading screen becomes annoying after a while IMO, that's why I ignore them. You are staring at the loading screens apparently, whereas I am multi-tasking something while I wait.. like posting this post here.

Edited by Andryah

I like the new loading screen a lot better than the older one.

I'm not sure why people don't like this one, really, other than

1) different taste in art style, which varies from person to person

2) people got used to the old one and don't like change

3) People don't like looking at a Hutt and two gay characters

The only thing that is certainly true is the last one had more of a modern video game look and this one has kind of a nostalgic 70s-80's video game cover look, or something mimicking Star Wars movie posters/novel covers, which is maybe why I like it.

Also, MMOs using concept art for loading screens is common WoW and Guild Wars 2 still do it.

I do get annoyed by "Engaging the enemy!" though.

Edited by chuixupu

It's concept art. I, for one, enjoy seeing concept art for video games. It's not like you're staring at the loading screens for hours, anyway. You see it for like 2 minutes on the larger planets. (At most.)

And it could be a picture of Darth Baras eating a whole turducken roll, so people should be thankful.

The structure of the picture (of the RotHC screen) is very bad. Everything seems to placed randomly by a person who does not know how to do it.

Oh please. It's a montage. Go back and look at decades of poster and book cover art, there's nothing unusual here.

Please show me "how to do it", Mr. artist.

Thanks for the hint about changing the loading screen. I found the previous picture in an old folder of my PTS installation. Copied it, all is good. :)

Just a cautionary note:

some people have reported having problems with the patcher after messing with loading screen displays. Some have not.. but some have.. and the first thing Bioware will do is tell you not to do this and go back and undue it before they will assist with patcher problems.