[Guide] Companion Crew Skill Bonuses -- Picking the Best Crew Skills for your Class

TheRealBowser

Updated for 3.1.

I haven't seen any guides about this, so I thought I'd contribute a guide since I've done some research into this. This guide will go over the (current) companion bonuses and have several charts to help you decide what the best crew skills you can get for your class, and what you want to do.

Please keep in mind that I will be listing the names of all the companion characters, which will be minor spoilers. You'll likely run across these characters anyways so I don't think it will be a big deal, but that is up to you. If you don't want to see them, do not read on.

Table of Contents:

1. What these bonuses mean

2. Crew Skills -- What they are

3. Crafting skill Charts

4. Other

1. What these bonuses mean

There are two bonuses that companions currently have: efficiency and critical.

First is efficiency. It comes in +5, +10, and on occasion, +15. This is simply a speed bonus to crafting. From my understanding these are 5%, 10%, and 15% faster crafting speed and mission completing speed.

Second is critical. It comes in +1, +2, and +5. They are +1%, +2%, and +5% additional chance to 'crit' a craft or mission. Critical in crafting means that you will either craft an additional item, or if you are making gear, it will come with an augment slot which you can fill with an augment. Critical in missions will net you additional items, and rare rewards (such as artifact crafting materials or rare schematics).

Neither of these effect gathering nodes in the open world.

For more information, check: http://www.swtor.com/blog/community-qa-april-27th-2012

Generally speaking, critical will be better than efficiency, because, ironically, critical is more efficient with your money and materials. However, with recent changes, it's no longer as valuable to critically craft armor and weapons as augment slots are relatively cheap. It's still outstanding for consumables and item modifications, and extremely highly recommended over efficiency.

Whether you want to have mission skills running faster or having a higher chance of critically succeeding missions for extra materials is up to you, but most people seem to prefer critical here as well. My thoughts is that for mission skills (and slicing), critical is inarguably better as artifact quality materials are several times more valuable than prototype materials. When it comes to gathering skills, both can be viable -- faster missions means you can push out more of them faster and get materials quicker, while criticals can occasionally go off and net you bigger rewards.

2. Crew Skills -- What they are

Artifice is a versatile crafting skill used for weapon hilts (strength and willpower weapon modifications), enhancements (item modification used in most moddable items), offhand items, color crystals (used for lightsaber blade and blaster bolt colors and stats, only yellow, green, blue, and red is typically available through crafting) and even lightsabers themselves.

Armstech is a versatile crafting skill that provides barrels (for modifiable guns, techblades, and techstaves of all types) and every type of weapon except lightsabers (including blaster pistols, blaster rifles, blaster cannons, sniper rifles, scatter guns, vibroswords, vibroknives, techblades, techstaves, and electrostaves). Armstech also creates Endurance, Surge, Critical, Accuracy, and Power Augments.

Synthweaving is the crafting skill for strength and willpower armor. Synthweaving also creates Strength, Willpower, Defense, Alacrity, and Presence Augments.

Armormech is simply the crafting of cunning and aim armor. Armormech also allows crafting of Aim, Cunning, Shield, and Absorb Augments.

Cybertech is one of the most versatile crew skills in the game, there are all sorts of items you can craft with this crew skill. Ship parts, droid parts, mods (used in all modifiable armor and weapons), armoring (used in modifiable armor), earpieces, cybertech-only speeders and more.

Biochem is the consumable item crafting skill. It is used to make med pacs (healing for the player), med units (healing for the player and companion), stims (long term buffs), adrenals (short term buffs), and implants.

Archeology is used to gather power crystals, color crystals, and artifacts -- the premium (green) crafting materials for use with artifice and synthweaving. (Only artifice uses color crystals.)

Scavenging is used to gather metals and compounds for premium (green) crafting materials for use with armormech, armstech, and cybertech from nodes, droids, and missions.

Bioanalysis is used to gather samples and compounds premium (green) crafting materials for use with biochem from nodes, animals, and missions.

Slicing allows you to collect credit-filled lockboxes from nodes in the open world and missions. It also provides materials to craft augments (which in my own biased opinion is not as important underworld trading or investigation for armstech, synthweaving, and armormech) as well as cybertech schematics and prosperous and wealthy mission-starting items for other gathering/mission skills.

Treasure hunting will allow you to obtain gemstones needed for prototype and artifact recipes -- including yellow color crystals -- for artifice, as well as other useful items such as companion gifts, companion gift fragments, and lockboxes (contain random weapons, armor, etc).

Investigation allows you to acquire researched compounds needed to make prototype and artifact armstech items, as well as other useful items such as companion gifts and schematics for various crew skills.

Underworld Trading will allow you to obtain luxury cloth and underworld metals needed to make prototype and artifact synthweaving, armormech and cybertech items, as well as other useful items such as companion gifts and armormech and synthweaving schematics. (Armormech and Cybertech only use metal, Synthweaving uses both.)

Diplomacy will allow you to obtain medical supplies needed to make prototype and artifact consumables and implants. You can also obtain companion gifts and lightside/darkside points from this crew skill. (Artifact consumables are reusable and only usable by biochemists themselves.)

I am going to be listing crafting skills with their corresponding mission and gathering skill. These are the following:

Artifice > Archeology > Treasure Hunting

Armstech > Scavenging > Investigation

Synthweaving > Archeology > Underworld Trading

Armormech > Scavenging > Underworld Trading

Cybertech > Scavenging > Underworld Trading

Biochem > Bioanalysis > Diplomacy

Profiteering (gathering materials to use or sell, no crafting) -- Slicing/Gathering/Mission > Gathering/Mission > Gathering/Mission

For profiteering, I recommend slicing (except in the case of the Sith Warrior) and two corresponding gathering or mission skills.

3. Crafting skill Charts

(eff = efficiency, crit = critical)

+15 efficiency and +5 critical bonuses will be in italics.

I will also give each crew skill combo a rating, 1 point for +1 crit and +5 eff, 2 points for +2 crit and +10 eff, and 3 points for +5 crit and +15 eff. For profits, I will typically assume slicing + the 2 highest mission/gathering skills, but feel free to use any combo you like. If the rating is bolded, that class has the highest rating for it in the game.

For profiteering, I will underline the highest bonuses that make for the maximum rating.

I'll also give my biased opinion and thoughts about each class on their strengths and weaknesses. Take this as you will!

Prologue: Ship Droid and other non-unique companions

I will start by mentioning the ship droid and the unique bonuses he provides to all classes. In order to buy the repair droid that sells the ship droid crafting bonus sensors, you need 1,000,000 credits and legacy level 7. In order to use the sensors, you need legacy level 12, and each sensor costs 100,000 credits and is legacy bound (meaning you can mail it around characters). You are able to purchase sensors from another player's repair droid and save yourself 1,000,000 credits. I have personally confirmed this. You still need legacy level 12 and 100,000 credits of course.

I personally choose to only have one sensor per character, but if you like, you can juggle two or more (for instance, +5 critical cybertech when crafting and +2 critical underworld trading when doing missions).

This guide will assume you are not swapping out sensors, and will either include the best critical crafting sensor, or the most applicable mission skill sensor. When it comes to adding up bonuses, if C2-N2 is better than crafting than the class's given option for a crafting skill, I will replace it instead of adding to it, as you only need one crafter realistically. Likewise if he is equal or worse, I will not even mention it. There are no cases where the meager +5 scavenging or archeology efficiency bonuses are better than mission skill bonuses by themselves.

These are the bonuses you can have your ship droid use:

Engineering Droid Sensor: +5 scavenging efficiency, +5 cybertech critical

Exploration Droid Sensor: +5 archeology efficiency, +5 synthweaving critical

Hunter Droid Sensor: +10 investigation efficiency, +2 armstech critical

Medical Droid Sensor: +10 Biochem Efficiency, +2 Diplomacy Critical

Scout Droid Sensor: +10 Artifice Efficiency, +2 Treasure Hunting Critical

Security Droid Sensor: +10 Armormech Efficiency, +2 Underworld Trading Critical

These are the bonuses HK-51 and Treek give:

+1 critical to all crafting skills, +5 efficiency to all mission (and gathering) skills.

They will only give +1 critical to crafting, and they will only give +5 efficiency to mission/gathering skills (gathering and mission skills). You will not get +1 critical to missions/gathering skills nor +5 efficiency to crafting.

Ultimately this doesn't matter much in the bigger picture. They are extra companions that will be useful to you no matter what at anything. There's only one significant detail here worth mentioning: the simple fact that these companions are the only ones in the game that can give critical to artifice, since artifice has no +critical bonuses otherwise. If you only want critical for crafting (which I do recommend), then this is absolutely worth considering for artifice, but it's a rather small bonus still.

Since they provide the same bonuses for every class, I will not be including them in the overview for classes for the most part.

a. Jedi Knight

T7-01: +10 eff bioanalysis, +2 crit slicing

Kira Carsen: +5 crit synthweaving, +1 crit treasure hunting

Doc: +5 eff underworld trading, +5 crit biochem

Sergeant Rusk: +10 eff scavenging, +10 eff armstech

Lord Scourge: +10 eff artifice, +10 eff archeology

Artifice: +10 eff artifice (Scourge), +10 eff archeology (Scourge), +1 crit treasure hunting (Kira) (Rating: 5)

Synthweaving: +5 crit (Kira Carsen), +10 eff archeology (Scourge), +5 eff Underword Trading (Doc) (Rating: 6)

Armstech: +10 eff armstech (Rusk), +10 eff scavenging (Rusk) (Rating: 4)

Armormech: +10 eff scavenging (Rusk), +5 eff underworld trading (Doc) (Rating: 3)

Cybertech: +10 eff scavenging (Rusk), +5 eff underworld trading (Doc) (Rating: 3)

Biochem: +5 crit biochem (Doc), +10 eff bioanalysis (T7-01) (Rating: 5)

Profit: +2 crit slicing (T7-01), +10 eff scavenging (Rusk), +10 eff archeology (Scourge), +5 eff underworld trading (Doc), +1 crit treasure hunting (Kira) (Rating: 6)

With Ship Droid sensor:

Artifice: +10 eff artifice (Scourge), +10 eff archeology (Scourge), +1 crit treasure hunting (Kira), +2 crit treasure hunting (C2-N2) (Rating: 7)

Synthweaving: +5 crit (Kira Carsen), +10 eff archeology (Scourge), +5 eff Underword Trading (Doc), +2 crit underworld trading (C2-N2) (Rating: 8)

Armstech: +2 crit armstech (C2-N2), +10 eff scavenging (Rusk), +10 investigation (C2-N2) (Rating: 6)

Armormech: +10 eff armormech (C2-N2), +10 eff scavenging (Rusk), +5 eff underworld trading (Doc), +2 crit underworld trading (C2-N2) (Rating: 7)

Cybertech: +5 crit cybertech (C2-N2), +5 eff scavenging (C2-N2), +10 eff scavenging (Rusk), +5 eff underworld trading (Doc) (Rating: 7)

Biochem: +5 crit biochem (Doc), +10 eff bioanalysis (T7-01), +2 crit diplomacy (C2-N2) (Rating: 7)

Profit: +2 crit slicing (T7-01), +10 eff scavenging (Rusk), +10 eff archeology (Scourge), +5 eff underworld trading (Doc), +1 crit treasure hunting (Kira), [+10 eff investigation, +2 crit diplomacy, +2 crit treasure hunting, or +2 crit underworld trading] (C2-N2) (Rating: 7)

(NOTE: For maximum rating in profiteering, take slicing, take either scavenging or archeology, and take either treasure hunting or underworld trading)

Bowser's thoughts:

Despite the fact that the Jedi Knight does not have a diplomacy bonus outside of the ship droid, I strongly recommend Biochem, since it is the only +5 critical biochem bonus available anywhere.

b. Jedi Consular

Qyzen Fess: +15 eff archeology, +5 eff bioanalysis

Tharan Cedrax: +10 eff cybertech, +10 eff slicing

Zenith: +1 crit underworld trading, +15 eff Treasure hunting

Lieutenant Iresso: +2 crit armstech, +2 crit scavenging

Nadia Grell: +10 eff synthweaving, +2 crit diplomacy

Artifice: +15 eff archeology (Qyzen), +15 eff Treasure hunting (Zenith) (Rating: 6)

Synthweaving: +10 eff synthweaving (Nadia), +15 eff archeology (Qyzen), +1 crit underworld trading (Zenith) (Rating: 6)

Armstech: +2 crit armstech (Iresso), +2 crit scavenging (Iresso) (Rating: 4)

Armormech: +2 crit scavenging (Iresso), +1 crit underworld trading (Zenith) (Rating: 3)

Cybertech: +10 eff cybertech (Tharan), +2 crit scavenging (Iresso), +1 crit underworld trading (Zenith) (Rating: 5)

Biochem: +5 eff bioanalysis (Qyzen), +2 crit diplomacy (Nadia) (Rating: 3)

Profiteering: +10 eff slicing (Tharan), +15 eff archeology (Qyzen), +15 treasure hunting (Zenith), +2 crit diplomacy (Nadia), +2 crit scavenging (Iresso), +1 crit underworld trading (Zenith), +5 eff bioanalysis (Qyzen) (Rating: 8)

With Ship Droid sensor:

Artifice: +10 efficiency artifice (C2-N2), +15 eff archeology (Qyzen), +15 eff treasure hunting (Zenith), +2 crit treasure hunting (C2-N2) (Rating: 10)

Synthweaving: +5 crit synthweaving (C2-N2), +15 eff archeology (Qyzen), +5 eff archeology (C2-N2), +1 crit underworld trading (Zenith) (Rating: 8)

Armstech: +2 crit armstech (Iresso), +2 crit scavenging (Iresso), +10 eff investigation (C2-N2) (Rating: 6)

Armormech: +10 eff armormech (C2-N2), +2 crit scavenging (Iresso), +1 crit underworld trading (Zenith), +2 crit underworld trading (C2-N2) (Rating: 7)

Cybertech: +5 crit cybertech (C2-N2), +2 crit scavenging (Iresso), +5 eff scavenging (C2-N2), +1 crit underworld trading (Zenith) (Rating: 7)

Biochem: +10 eff biochem (C2-N2), +5 eff bioanalysis (Qyzen), +2 crit diplomacy (Nadia), +2 crit diplomacy (C2-N2) (Rating: 7)

Profiteering: +10 eff slicing (Tharan), +15 eff archeology (Qyzen), +15 treasure hunting (Zenith), +2 crit diplomacy (Nadia), +2 crit scavenging (Iresso), +1 crit underworld trading (Zenith), +5 eff bioanalysis (Qyzen), [+10 eff investigation, +2 crit diplomacy, +2 crit treasure hunting, or +2 crit underworld trading (C2-N2)] (Rating: 10)

Bowser's thoughts:

The Jedi Consular has outstanding artifice bonuses, and is in my opinion the greatest crew skill combination in the game. I cannot recommend it enough.

c. Trooper

Aric Jorgan: +10 eff armstech, +2 crit diplomacy

Elara Dorne: +10 eff biochem, +10 eff bioanalysis

M1-4X: +5 crit scavenging, +5 eff cybertech

Tanno Vik: +5 crit armormech, +1 crit underworld trading

Yuun: +10 eff slicing, +10 eff Investigation

Artifice: Nothing. (Rating: 0)

Synthweaving: +1 crit underworld trading (Tanno) (Rating: 1)

Armstech: +10 eff armstech (Aric), +5 crit scavenging (M1-4X), +10 eff Investigation (Yuun) (Rating: 7)

Armormech: +5 crit armormech (Tanno), +5 crit scavenging (M1-4X), +1 crit underworld trading (Tanno) (Rating: 7)

Cybertech: +5 eff cybertech (M1-4X), +5 crit scavenging (M1-4X), +1 crit underworld trading (Tanno) (Rating: 5)

Biochem: +10 eff biochem (Elara), +10 eff bioanalysis (Elara), +2 crit diplomacy (Aric) (Rating: 6)

Profiteering: +10 eff slicing (Yuun), +5 crit scavenging (M1-4X), +10 eff bioanalysis (Elara), +2 crit diplomacy (Aric), +10 eff investigation (Yuun), +1 crit underworld trading (Tanno) (Rating: 7)

With Ship Droid sensor:

Artifice: +10 eff artifice (C2-N2), +2 crit treasure hunting (C2-N2) (Rating: 4)

Synthweaving: +5 crit synthweaving (C2-N2), +5 eff archeology (C2-N2), +1 crit underworld trading (Tanno) (Rating: 5)

Armstech: +2 crit armstech (C2-N2), +5 crit scavenging (M1-4X), +10 eff investigation (Yuun), +10 eff investigation (C2-N2) (Rating: 9)

Armormech: +5 crit armormech (Tanno), +5 crit scavenging (M1-4X), +1 crit underworld trading (Tanno), +2 crit underworld trading (C2-N2) (Rating: 9)

Cybertech: +5 crit cybertech (C2-N2), +5 crit scavenging (M1-4X), +5 eff scavenging (C2-N2), +1 crit underworld trading (Tanno) (Rating: 8)

Biochem: +10 eff biochem (Elara), +10 eff bioanalysis (Elara), +2 crit diplomacy (Aric), +2 crit diplomacy (C2-N2) (Rating: 8)

Profiteering: +10 eff slicing (Yuun), +5 crit scavenging (M1-4X), +10 eff bioanalysis (Elara), +2 crit diplomacy (Aric), +10 eff investigation (Yuun), +1 crit underworld trading (Tanno) [+10 eff investigation, +2 crit diplomacy, +2 crit treasure hunting, or +2 crit underworld trading (C2-N2)] (Rating: 9)

Bowser's thoughts:

While the trooper has downright fantastic crew skills all around, I recommend armormech for the +5 critical bonus -- which no other class has -- as well as the fact it has such fantastic critical bonuses all around matched with it.

d. Smuggler

Corso Riggs: +5 crit armstech, +5 eff underworld trading

Bowdaar: +10 eff scavenging, +10 eff cybertech

Risha: +15 eff diplomacy, +1 crit slicing

Akaavi Spar: +10 eff armormech, +2 crit bioanalysis

Guss Tuno: +10 eff underworld trading, +2 crit investigation

Artifice: None. (Rating: 0)

Synthweaving: +5 eff underworld trading (Corso), +10 eff Underworld Trading (Guss) (Rating: 3)

Armstech: +5 crit armstech (Corso), +10 eff scavenging (Bowdaar), +2 crit investigation (Guss) (Rating: 7)

Armormech: +10 eff armormech (Akaavi), +10 eff scavenging (Bowdaar), +5 eff underworld trading (Corso), +10 eff Underworld Trading (Guss) (Rating: 7)

Cybertech: +10 eff cybertech (Bowdaar), +10 eff scavenging (Bowdaar), +5 eff underworld trading (Corso), +10 eff Underworld trading (Guss) (Rating: 7)

Biochem: +2 crit bioanalysis (Akaavi), +15 diplomacy (Risha) (Rating: 5)

Profit: +1 crit slicing (Risha), +15 diplomacy (Risha), +2 crit bioanalysis (Akaavi), +10 scavenging (Bowdaar), +5 eff underworld trading (Corso), +10 eff underworld trading (Guss), +2 crit investigation (Guss) (Rating: 7-8)

(NOTE: For profiteering, take slicing, underworld trading, and diplomacy for 7, Take investigation, scavenging, or bioanalysis instead of slicing for 8.)

With Ship Droid sensor:

Artifice: +10 eff artifice (C2-N2), +2 crit treasure hunting (C2-N2) (Rating: 4)

Synthweaving: +5 crit synthweaving (C2-N2), +5 eff archeology (C2-N2), +5 eff underworld trading (Corso), +10 eff Underworld Trading (Guss) (Rating: 7)

Armstech: +5 crit armstech (Corso), +10 eff scavenging (Bowdaar), +2 crit investigation (Guss), +10 eff investigation (C2-N2) (Rating: 9)

Armormech: +10 eff armormech (Akaavi), +10 eff scavenging (Bowdaar), +5 eff underworld trading (Corso), +10 eff Underworld Trading (Guss), +2 critical underworld trading (C2-N2) (Rating: 9)

Cybertech: +5 crit cybertech (C2-N2), +10 eff scavenging (Bowdaar), +5 eff scavenging (C2-N2), +5 eff underworld trading (Corso), +10 eff Underworld trading (Guss) (Rating: 9)

Biochem: +10 eff biochem (C2-N2), +2 crit bioanalysis (Akaavi), +15 diplomacy (Risha), +2 crit diplomacy (C2-N2) (Rating: 9)

Profit: +1 crit slicing (Risha), +15 diplomacy (Risha), +2 crit bioanalysis (Akaavi), +10 scavenging (Bowdaar), +5 eff underworld trading (Corso), +10 eff underworld trading (Guss), +2 crit investigation (Guss) [+10 eff investigation, +2 crit diplomacy, +2 crit treasure hunting, or +2 crit underworld trading (C2-N2)] (Rating: 9-10)

(NOTE: For profiteering, take slicing, underworld trading, and diplomacy for 9, Take investigation, scavenging, or bioanalysis instead of slicing for 10.)

Bowser's thoughts:

The smuggler is as good at crafting as the trooper, with great options all around! While the unique concept of having two underworld trading bonuses stands out, what is most interesting about the smuggler is that they are the only class in the game with a +5 critical to armstech. They also have some fantastic bonuses matched with it to sweeten the deal, and that is what I recommend.

e. Republic Side Summary

Best at crew skill combos:

Artifice: Jedi Consular (6)

Synthweaving: Jedi Knight & Jedi Consular (6)

Armstech: Trooper & Smuggler (7)

Armormech: Trooper (7)

Biochem: Trooper (6)

Cybertech: Smuggler (7)

Profit: Jedi Consular & Smuggler (without slicing) (8)

With Ship Droid sensor:

Artifice: Jedi Consular (10)

Synthweaving: Jedi Knight & Jedi Consular (8)

Armstech: Trooper & Smuggler (9)

Armormech: Smuggler (9)

Biochem: Smuggler (9)

Cybertech: Smuggler (9)

Profit: Jedi Consular & Smuggler (without slicing) (10)

Best at Crew Skills:

Artifice: Jedi Knight (+10 eff) (only option) (all get +1 crit with HK-51 or Treek, all get +10 eff with C2-N2)

Synthweaving: Jedi Knight (+5 crit) (all get +5 crit with C2-N2)

Armstech: Smuggler (+5 crit)

Armormech: Trooper (+5 crit)

Cybertech: Jedi Consular (+10 eff) and Smuggler (+10 eff) (all get +5 crit with C2-N2)

Biochem: Jedi Knight (+5 crit)

Archeology: Jedi Consular (+15 eff)

Scavenging: Trooper (+5 crit)

Bioanalysis: Jedi Knight (+10 eff), Trooper (+10 eff), & Smuggler (+2 crit)

Slicing: Jedi Knight (+2 crit), Jedi Consular (+10 eff), & Trooper (+10 eff)

Treasure Hunting: Jedi Consular (+15 eff)

Underworld Trading: Smuggler (+5 eff & +10 eff)

Investigation: Trooper (+10 eff) & Smuggler (+2 crit)

Diplomacy: Smuggler (+15 eff)

Critical Crew Skills:

Artifice: None. (all get +1 with HK-51 or Treek)

Synthweaving: Jedi Knight (+5) (all get +5 with C2-N2)

Armstech: Smuggler (+5)

Armormech: Trooper (+5)

Cybertech: None. (all get +5 with C2-N2)

Biochem: Jedi Knight (+5)

Archeology: None.

Scavenging: Trooper (+5)

Bioanalysis: Smuggler (+2)

Treasure Hunting: Jedi Knight (+1) (all get additional +2 with C2-N2)

Investigation: Smuggler (+2)

Underworld Trading: Jedi Consular & Trooper (+1) (all get additional +2 with C2-N2)

Diplomacy: Jedi Consular & Trooper (+2) (all get additional +2 with C2-N2)

Slicing: Jedi Knight (+2)

f. Sith Warrior

Vette: +5 eff Underworld Trading, +5 Crit Treasure Hunting

Malavai Quinn: +10 eff Diplomacy, +10 eff Armstech

Jaesa Willsaam: +5 eff Archaeology, +5 Crit Synthweaving

Lieutenant Pierce: +10 eff Cybertech, +2 crit investigation

Broonmark: +10 eff Scavenging, +2 Crit Bioanalysis

Artifice: +5 eff archeology (Jaesa), +5 crit treasure hunting (Vette) (Rating: 4)

Synthweaving: +5 crit synthweaving (Jaesa), +5 eff archeology (Jaesa), +5 eff underworld trading (Vette) (Rating: 5)

Armstech: +10 eff Armstech (Malavai), +10 eff scavenging (Broon), +2 crit investigation (Pierce) (Rating: 6)

Armormech: +10 eff scavenging (Broon), +5 eff underworld trading (Vette) (Rating: 3)

Cybertech: +10 eff cybertech (Pierce), +10 eff scavenging (Broon), +5 eff Underworld Trading (Vette) (Rating: 5)

Biochem: +2 crit bioanalysis (Broon), +10 eff Diplomacy (Malavai) (Rating: 4)

Profit: +5 crit treasure hunting (Vette), +10 eff Diplomacy (Malavai), +2 crit investigation (Pierce), +10 eff scavenging (Broon), +5 eff Underworld Trading (Vette) (Rating: 5)

With Ship Droid sensor:

Artifice: +10 efficiency artifice (2V-R8), +5 eff archeology (Jaesa), +5 crit treasure hunting (Vette), +2 crit treasure hunting (2V-R8) (Rating: 8)

Synthweaving: +5 crit synthweaving (Jaesa), +5 eff archeology (Jaesa), +2 crit underworld trading (2V-R8), +5 eff underworld trading (Vette) (Rating: 7)

Armstech: +2 crit Armstech (2V-R8), +10 eff scavenging (Broon), +2 crit investigation (Pierce), +10 investigation (2V-R8) (Rating: 8)

Armormech: +10 eff armormech (2V-R8), +10 eff scavenging (Broon), +2 crit underworld trading (2V-R8), +5 eff underworld trading (Vette) (Rating: 7)

Cybertech: +5 crit cybertech (2V-R8), +10 eff scavenging (Broon), +5 eff scavenging (2V-R8), +5 eff Underworld Trading (Vette) (Rating: 7)

Biochem: +10 eff biochem (2V-R8), +2 crit bioanalysis (Broon), +10 eff Diplomacy (Malavai), +2 crit diplomacy (2V-R8) (Rating: 8)

Profit: +5 crit treasure hunting (Vette), +10 eff Diplomacy (Malavai), +2 crit investigation (Pierce), +10 eff scavenging (Broon), +5 eff Underworld Trading (Vette), [+10 eff investigation, +2 crit diplomacy, +2 crit treasure hunting, or +2 crit underworld trading (2V-R8)] (Rating: 7-9)

(NOTE: Obviously, don't take slicing if you want a higher rating for profiteering.)

Bowser's thoughts:

Okay, I am just going to flat out say it: the Sith warrior's companions suck at crafting. Every crafting skill combo is mismatched badly. Even profiteering is lacking on this class due to being the only class in the game without a slicing bonus.

Still, that's what I recommend. The +5 critical treasure hunting is the best thing this class has to offer. Since investigation is also +2 critical, I recommend it as well. Diplomacy is simply nice to have, and taking it gets you a +2 critical bonus from the ship droid, so that seems best to finish off with. Scavenging is viable instead of diplomacy though if you prefer it.

g. Sith Inquisitor

Khem Val: +15 eff artifice, +5 eff investigation

Andronikos Revel: +2 Crit Underworld Trading, +2 Crit Slicing

Ashara Zavros: +10 eff Synthweaving, +10 eff Diplomacy

Talos Drellik: +5 eff Treasure Hunting, +5 Crit Archaeology

Xalek: +10 eff Bioanalysis, +2 Crit Scavenging

Artifice: +15 eff artifice (Khem), +5 crit archaeology (Talos) , +5 eff treasure hunting (Talos) (Rating: 7)

Synthweaving: +10 eff Synthweaving (Ashara), +5 crit archaeology (Talos) , +2 crit underworld trading (Andronikos) (Rating: 7)

Armstech: +2 crit scavenging (Xalek), +5 eff investigation (Khem) (Rating: 3)

Armormech: +2 crit scavenging (Xalek), +2 crit underworld trading (Andronikos) (Rating: 4)

Cybertech: +2 crit scavenging (Xalek), +2 crit underworld trading (Andronikos) (Rating: 4)

Biochem: +10 eff bioanalysis (Xalek), +10 eff diplomacy (Ashara) (Rating: 4)

Profit: +2 crit slicing (Andronikos), +5 crit archaeology (Talos) , +2 crit underworld trading (Andronikos), +10 eff diplomacy (Ashara), +2 crit scavenging (Xalek), +5 eff investigation (Khem), +5 eff treasure hunting (Talos) (Rating: 7)

With Ship Droid sensor:

Artifice: +15 eff artifice (Khem), +5 crit archaeology (Talos) , +5 eff treasure hunting (Talos), +2 crit treasure hunting (2V-R8) (Rating: 9)

Synthweaving: +5 crit Synthweaving (2V-R8), +5 crit archaeology (Talos) , +5 eff archeology (2V-R8), +2 crit underworld trading (Andronikos) (Rating: 9)

Armstech: +2 crit armstech (2V-R8), +2 crit scavenging (Xalek), +10 eff investigation (2V-R8), +5 eff investigation (Khem) (Rating: 7)

Armormech: +10 eff armormech (2V-R8), +2 crit scavenging (Xalek), +2 crit underworld trading (Andronikos), +2 crit underworld trading (2V-R8) (Rating: 8)

Cybertech: +5 crit Cybertech (2V-R8), +2 crit scavenging (Xalek), +5 eff scavenging (2V-R8), +2 crit underworld trading (Andronikos) (Rating: 8)

Biochem: +10 eff biochem (2V-R8), +10 eff bioanalysis (Xalek), +10 eff diplomacy (Ashara), +2 crit diplomacy (2V-R8) (Rating: 8)

Profit: +2 crit slicing (Andronikos), +5 crit archaeology (Talos) , +2 crit underworld trading (Andronikos), +10 eff diplomacy (Ashara), +2 crit scavenging (Xalek), +5 eff investigation (Khem), +5 eff treasure hunting (Talos), [+10 eff investigation, +2 crit diplomacy, +2 crit treasure hunting, or +2 crit underworld trading (2V-R8)] (Rating: 9)

Bowser's thoughts:

The inquisitor has some pretty interesting crew skills. Both Artifice and Synthweaving are going to be extremely good choices. However, the Jedi Consular is the undisputed master of artifice, while the Sith Inquisitor is arguably more talented at Synthweaving thanks to the various critical bonuses.

As such, I recommend Synthweaving.

h. Imperial Agent

Kaliyo: +10 eff Armstech, +2 crit underworld trading

Vector: +5 eff Bioanalysis, +5 Crit Diplomacy

Doctor Lokin: +15 eff Biochem, +10 eff investigation

Ensign Temple: +10 eff Scavenging, +2 Crit Armormech

SCORPIO: +10 eff Cybertech, +2 Crit Slicing

Artifice: Nothing. (Rating: 0)

Synthweaving: +2 crit underworld trading (Kaliyo) (Rating: 2)

Armstech: +10 eff armstech (Kaliyo), +10 eff scavenging (Temple), +10 eff investigation (Lokin) (Rating: 6)

Armormech: +2 crit armormech (Temple), +10 eff scavenging (Temple), +2 crit underworld trading (Kaliyo) (Rating: 6)

Cybertech: +10 eff cybertech (SCORPIO), +10 eff scavenging (Temple), +2 crit underworld trading (Kaliyo) (Rating: 6)

Biochem: +15 eff biochem (Lokin), +5 eff bioanalysis (Vector), +5 crit diplomacy (Vector) (Rating: 7)

Profit: +2 Crit Slicing (SCORPIO), +5 Crit Diplomacy (Vector), +2 crit underworld trading (Kaliyo), +10 eff Scavenging (Temple), +10 eff investigation (Lokin), +5 eff bioanalysis (Vector) (Rating: 7)

With Ship Droid sensor:

Artifice: +10 eff artifice (2V-R8), +2 crit treasure hunting (2V-R8) (Rating: 4)

Synthweaving: +5 crit synthweaving (2V-R8), +5 eff archeology (2V-R8), +2 crit underworld trading (Kaliyo) (Rating: 6)

Armstech: +2 crit armstech (2V-R8), +10 eff Scavenging (Temple), +10 eff investigation (Lokin), +10 investigation (2V-R8) (Rating: 8)

Armormech: +2 crit armormech (Temple), +10 eff scavenging (Temple), +2 crit underworld trading (Kaliyo), +2 crit underworld trading (2V-R8) (Rating: 8)

Cybertech: +5 crit cybertech (2V-R8), +10 eff Scavenging (Temple), +5 eff scavenging (2V-R8), +2 crit underworld trading (Kaliyo) (Rating: 8)

Biochem: +15 eff Biochem (Lokin), +5 eff Bioanalysis (Vector), +5 Crit Diplomacy (Vector), +2 crit diplomacy (2V-R8) (Rating: 9)

Profit: +2 Crit Slicing (SCORPIO), +5 Crit Diplomacy (Vector), +2 crit underworld trading (Kaliyo), +10 eff Scavenging (Temple), +10 eff investigation (Lokin), +5 eff bioanalysis (Vector) [+10 eff investigation, +2 crit diplomacy, +2 crit treasure hunting, or +2 crit underworld trading (2V-R8)] (Rating: 9)

Bowser's thoughts:

The agent is nearly as amazing as the trooper is in crew skill bonuses, and has a unique quirk: Dr. Lokin is the only companion in the game with a +15 and +10 bonus -- everyone else would have +15 and +5 or +10 and +10.

While the agent has fantastic bonuses for biochem, the crafting bonus is pure efficiency so I cannot really recommend it. Instead, I suggest you take advantage of the fantastic mission and slicing critical bonuses. Slicing at +2, Diplomacy at +5, and Underworld Trading at +2 all seem fantastic choices, but investigation and scavenging are also viable.

i. Bounty Hunter

Mako: +15 eff Slicing, +5 eff cybertech

Gault: +10 eff Underworld Trading, +2 Crit Biochem

Torian Cadera: +2 Crit Bioanalysis, +10 eff investigation

Blizz: +15 eff Armormech, +1 Crit Armstech

Skadge: +10 eff Scavenging, +2 Crit Treasure Hunting

Artifice: +2 crit treasure hunting (Skadge) (Rating: 2)

Synthweaving: +10 eff Underworld Trading (Gault) (Rating: 2)

Armstech: +1 Crit Armstech (Blizz), +10 eff Scavenging (Skadge), +10 eff investigation (Torian) (Rating: 5)

Armormech: +15 eff Armormech (Blizz), +10 eff Scavenging (Skadge), +10 eff Underworld Trading (Gault) (Rating: 7)

Cybertech: +5 eff cybertech (Mako), +10 eff scavenging (Skadge), +10 eff underworld trading (Gault) (Rating: 5)

Biochem: +2 crit biochem (Gault), +2 crit bioanalysis (Torian) (Rating: 4)

Profit: +15 eff slicing (Mako), +2 crit bioanalysis (Torian), +10 eff scavenging (Skadge), +10 eff underworld trading (Gault), +10 eff investigation (Torian), +2 crit treasure hunting (Skadge) (Rating: 7)

With Ship Droid sensor:

Artifice: +10 eff artifice (2V-R8), +2 crit treasure hunting (Skadge), +2 crit treasure hunting (2V-R8) (Rating: 6)

Synthweaving: +5 crit synthweaving (2V-R8), +5 eff archeology (2V-R8), +10 eff Underworld Trading (Gault) (Rating: 6)

Armstech: +2 Crit Armstech (2V-R8), +10 eff scavenging (Skadge), +10 eff investigation (Torian), +10 eff investigation (2V-R8) (Rating: 8)

Armormech: +15 eff Armormech (Blizz), +10 eff scavenging (Skadge), +10 eff Underworld Trading (Gault), +2 crit underworld trading (2V-R8) (Rating: 9)

Cybertech: +5 crit cybertech (2V-R8), +10 eff scavenging (Skadge), +5 eff scavenging (2V-R8), +10 eff underworld trading (Gault) (Rating: 8)

Biochem: +2 crit biochem (Gault), +2 crit bioanalysis (Torian), +2 crit diplomacy (2V-R8) (Rating: 6)

Profit: +15 eff slicing (Mako), +2 crit bioanalysis (Torian), +10 eff scavenging (Skadge), +10 eff underworld trading (Gault), +10 eff investigation (Torian), +2 crit treasure hunting (Skadge), [+10 eff investigation, +2 crit diplomacy, +2 crit treasure hunting, or +2 crit underworld trading (2V-R8)] (Rating: 9)

Bowser's thoughts:

The bounty hunter has a pretty good crew skill lineup. Really, the only complaint I have for the bounty hunter is their lack of critical bonuses. Too many of them are efficiency, and that tends not to be quite as useful.

While Mako undoubtebly has a fantastic slicing bonus, it is unfortunately efficiency. As such, I do not really recommend profiteering. Since every other major crafting skill (except artifice, which isn't viable here) is covered with +5 critical bonuses, I recommend Cybertech since the bounty hunter has the crew skills to make it work acceptably.

Alternatively you can choose to have the Sith Warrior or Imperial Agent do cybertech instead and do profiteering here, but the Sith Warrior has weak underworld trading bonuses and the imperial agent has fantastic slicing and mission bonuses, so that leaves bounty hunter as the ideal choice for cybertech.

j. Imperial Side Summary

Artifice: Sith Inquisitor (7)

Synthweaving: Sith Inquisitor (7)

Armstech: Sith Warrior & Imperial Agent (6)

Armormech: Bounty Hunter (7)

Biochem: Imperial Agent (7)

Cybertech: Imperial Agent & Bounty Hunter (6)

Profit: Sith Inquisitor, Imperial Agent, & Bounty Hunter (7)

With Ship Droid sensor:

Artifice: Sith Inquisitor (9)

Synthweaving: Sith Inquisitor (9)

Armstech: Sith Warrior, Imperial Agent, & Bounty Hunter (8)

Armormech: Bounty Hunter (9)

Biochem: Imperial Agent (9)

Cybertech: Sith Inquisitor, Imperial Agent, & Bounty Hunter (8)

Profit: Sith Warrior (no slicing), Sith Inquisitor, Imperial Agent, & Bounty Hunter (9)

Best at Crew Skills:

Artifice: Sith Inquisitor (+15 eff) (only option)

Synthweaving: Sith Warrior (+5 crit) (all get +5 crit with 2V-R8)

Armstech: Sith Warrior (+10 eff) & Imperial Agent (+10 eff) (all get +2 crit with 2V-R8)

Armormech: Bounty Hunter (+15 eff)

Cybertech: Sith Warrior (+10 eff) and Imperial Agent (+10 eff) (all get +5 crit with 2V-R8)

Biochem: Imperial Agent (+15 eff)

Archeology: Sith Inquisitor (+5 crit)

Scavenging: Sith Warrior (+10 eff), Sith Inquisitor (+2 crit), Imperial Agent (+10 eff), & Bounty Hunter (+10 eff)

Bioanalysis: Sith Warrior (+2 crit), Sith Inqusitor (+10 eff), & Bounty Hunter (+2 crit)

Slicing: Bounty Hunter (+15 eff)

Treasure Hunting: Sith Warrior (+5 crit)

Underworld Trading: Sith Inquisitor (+2 crit), Imperial Agent (+2 crit), & Bounty Hunter (+10 eff)

Investigation: Sith Warrior (+2 crit), Imperial Agent (+10 eff), & Bounty Hunter (+10 eff)

Diplomacy: Imperial Agent (+5 crit)

Critical Crew Skills:

Artifice: None. (all get +1 with HK-51 or Treek)

Synthweaving: Sith Warrior (+5) (all get +5 with 2V-R8)

Armstech: Bounty Hunter (+1) (all get +2 with 2V-R8)

Armormech: Imperial Agent (+2)

Cybertech: None. (all get +5 with 2V-R8)

Biochem: Bounty Hunter (+2)

Archeology: Sith Inquisitor (+5)

Scavenging: Sith Inquisitor (+2)

Bioanalysis: Sith Warrior & Bounty Hunter (+2)

Treasure Hunting: Sith Warrior (+5) (all get additional +2 with 2V-R8)

Investigation: Sith Warrior (+2)

Underworld Trading: Sith Inquisitor & Imperial Agent (+2) (all get additional +2 with 2V-R8)

Diplomacy: Imperial Agent (+5) (all get additional +2 with 2V-R8)

Slicing: Sith Inquisitor & Imperial Agent (+2)

k. Overall Summary

Artifice: Sith Inquisitor (7)

Synthweaving: Sith Inquisitor (7)

Armstech: Trooper & Smuggler (7)

Armormech: Trooper & Bounty Hunter (7)

Biochem: Imperial Agent (7)

Cybertech: Smuggler (7)

Profit: Jedi Consular & Smuggler (no slicing) (8)

With Ship Droid sensor:

Artifice: Jedi Consular (10)

Synthweaving: Sith Inquisitor (9)

Armstech: Trooper & Smuggler (9)

Armormech: Trooper & Bounty Hunter (9)

Biochem: Smuggler & Imperial Agent (9)

Cybertech: Smuggler (9)

Profit: Jedi Consular & Smuggler (with no slicing) (10)

Best at Crew Skills:

Artifice: Sith Inquisitor (+15 eff)

Synthweaving: Jedi Knight (+5 crit) & Sith Warrior (+5 crit) (all get +5 crit with ship droid)

Armstech: Smuggler (+5 crit)

Armormech: Trooper (+5 crit) & Bounty Hunter (+15 eff)

Cybertech: Jedi Consular (+10 eff), Smuggler (+10 eff), Sith Warrior (+10 eff) and Imperial Agent (+10 eff) (all get +5 crit with ship droid)

Biochem: Jedi Knight (+5 crit) & Imperial Agent (+15 eff)

Bioanalysis: Jedi Knight (+10 eff), Trooper (+10 eff), Smuggler (+2 crit), Sith Warrior (+2 crit), Sith Inqusitor (+10 eff), & Bounty Hunter (+2 crit)

Slicing: Bounty Hunter (+15 eff)

Treasure Hunting: Sith Warrior (+5 crit)

Underworld Trading: Smuggler (+5 eff & +10 eff)

Investigation: Trooper (+10 eff), Smuggler (+2 crit), Sith Warrior (+2 crit), Imperial Agent (+10 eff), & Bounty Hunter (+10 eff)

Diplomacy: Smuggler (+15 eff) & Imperial Agent (+5 crit)

Critical Crew Skills:

Artifice: None. (all get +1 crit with HK-51 or Treek)

Synthweaving: Jedi Knight & Sith Warrior (+5) (all get +5 crit with ship droid)

Armstech: Smuggler (+5)

Armormech: Trooper (+5)

Cybertech: None. (all get +5 crit with ship droid)

Biochem: Jedi Knight (+5)

Archeology: Sith Inquisitor (+5)

Scavenging: Trooper (+5)

Bioanalysis: Smuggler, Sith Warrior, & Bounty Hunter (+2)

Treasure Hunting: Sith Warrior (+5) (all get additional +2 with ship droid)

Investigation: Smuggler & Sith Warrior (+2)

Underworld Trading: Sith Inquisitor & Imperial Agent (+2) (all get additional +2 with ship droid)

Diplomacy: Imperial Agent (+5) (all get additional +2 with ship droid)

Slicing: Jedi Knight, Sith Inquisitor, & Imperial Agent (+2)

Bowser's thoughts: I am going to also mention my biased opinion as to which the best crew skills in the game to have are. I've expressed throughout the guide why this is the case, so if you're looking for a short and simple answer as to which crew skills you should take, here you go!:

Jedi Knight: Biochem, Bioanalysis, Diplomacy

Jedi Consular: Artifice, Archeology, Treasure Hunting

Trooper: Armormech, Scavenging, Underworld Trading

Smuggler: Armstech, Scavenging, Investigation

Sith Warrior: Treasure Hunting, Investigation, Diplomacy

Sith Inquisitor: Synthweaving, Archeology, Underworld Trading

Imperial Agent: Slicing, Diplomacy, Underworld Trading

Bounty Hunter: Cybertech, Scavenging, Underworld Trading.

4. Other

Please do not plagiarize my work here. Anyone and everyone is welcome to use this guide anywhere they please so long as they do not alter it in any way and give me full credit for my work. Please send me a private message if you decide to use it, though keep in mind I may or may not send one back. (this is just to let me know where it's posted, you are welcome to use it with or without a response, unless for some reason I ask you not to which is unlikely)

Special Thanks:

• Darth Hater for its amazing, thorough database (though a little inaccurate when it comes to crew skill bonuses).
  • TORhead for its great database and great layout.
  • Tuhalu -- for telling me that armormech does not use luxury fabrics.
  • Malthol -- for correcting my information about Guss Tuno. (Sorry I forgot to add you here last time!)
  • Kytea -- for giving me the blog link that specifically explains criticals.

(Sadly, TORhead and Darth Hater have both since retired. I miss them both.)

If you see any typos please PM me with the specific spelling of said typo. Please do not tell me about grammar errors, however.

If you see any incorrect or inaccurate information, please let me know! I want this to be completely accurate in all shapes and forms.

If you have anything interesting to add, feel free!

If I use anyone's information or advice (typos aside) I will mention them here.

Not much else to say. I spent several hours making this, I hope it was useful to everyone!

Edited by TheRealBowser
Slight adjustments

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is helpful, but for a Juggernaut do you think Synth, Art, or Bio is better? I currently have synth but it feels like its more for force focused classes.

Looking at my own guide, I have biochem rated as 4 and Artifice rated as 4. Both of those are subpar, but to be honest, just about every profession the sith warrior can obtain is bad.

Synthweaving is slightly better and has a +5 crit for it specifically, so it's not a bad choice at all.

Honestly, my advice is to just pick what you want. Though if you plan on making a sith inquisitor, save artifice for that one. The bonuses for sith inquisitor artifice are phenomenal.

Again, critical does not appear to effect gathering skills in the open world. I have yet to 'crit' on a node.

It definitely is possible to crit on gathering a node, however it seems to be extraordinarily rare. I have been playing since day 1 of early access, and i have crit on manual gathering exactly once. It was a slicing node, and it gave me a blue-border money box(along with a normal white-border one). The blue box contained about 500 credits while the white only contained about 100. (it was on corusant, during the first week of early access)

If i knew at that time how rare it was i'd have taken a screenshot :p

Edited by Sharee

Nice guide! I appreciate the time spent on it!

Q: where do I get more schematics (Recipes)? Do they automatically received when I reach a certain crafting level (skill+)? Not the rare schematics though.

I don't understand your question. I am not entirely sure where every single schematic is. Some you can get via the auction house, others you can reverse engineer items for. It depends. Could you elaborate?

Also, thanks!

Nice guide! I appreciate the time spent on it!

Q: where do I get more schematics (Recipes)? Do they automatically received when I reach a certain crafting level (skill+)? Not the rare schematics though.

Hi OP, Nice guide mate, If you don't mind I would like to reference and put a link to it in my Armormech Guide.

In answer to the Question from GunSpeed. Check with your crafting trainer at the fleet or on planet. They will have new schematics as you level up your crafting skill. Also schematics can be found from missions and occasionally loot drops.

Regards

Wolf

I could definitely go for a sticky on this!

I've got exactly 6 characters on each side specifically so I can have all of the crafts covered.

Since I'm having so many crafting alts, though, I'm kind of thinking of gaming the system a bit and having characters that are exceptionally good at gathering/mission skills do those exclusively, then feeding the finished bits to those that are exceptionally good at pure crafting.

Actually, I'm totally going to do that now. This guide is awesome!