Here's the problem with making Treek available through the Cartel Market...

Machine-Elf

It's boring. There's virtually zero sense of achievement to be gained from a Cartel Market purchase. Personally, I'll be grinding my way to Legacy Level 40 (I'm a meager 10) and one million credits requirement, not because I don't have the disposable income to buy her, but simply because it's more FUN!

I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in this sentiment. And if other impulse buyers (which I have no qualms in admitting to being) like me are starting to think along the same lines, then BioWare should be exceedingly worried.

I guess my overriding criticism of -- not just Treek, but the Cartel Market in general -- is that it's beginning to feel like cheating. It's as if the more achievement-based free-to-play model (unlock ____ item for ____ amount after reaching Legacy Level _____) is the correct way of playing the game, and the subscription model a cheap Game Genie alternative.

Edited by Machine-Elf

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not share your sentiment.

Treek is a great addition to the game. It's something many players like, and no player is forced to acquire it or use it if they don't like it. It is amazing to me how much so many players detest choice. Actually.. they don't detest it, they just don't want anyone but themselves to have choice.

And the way they are adding it to the game is consistent with everything they have been doing for the last 8 months.

Yeah.. some people don't like the CM, cartel coins, etc. etc. But so what. Some people, in every MMO, don't like something.

For me, there's zero sense of achievement because it can be bought by anyone with CC, so it is pointless to spend effort to obtain it via the legacy route or with CC for that matter.

I'll stick to working towards obtaining things in game that can't be bought with the almighty dollar and let the CM people blow thier money on the fluff stuff that means nothing to me.

For me, there's zero sense of achievement because it can be bought by anyone with CC, so it is pointless to spend effort to obtain it via the legacy route or with CC for that matter.

I'll stick to working towards obtaining things in game that can't be bought with the almighty dollar and let the CM people blow thier money on the fluff stuff that means nothing to me.

But everything on the legacy can be bought with cc. You act like this is the first thing ever to happen.

Here is the interesting part: NOWHERE did Bioware, at any time, in any way, indicate/promote/market Treek as a player effort based achievement.

There is a minority interest of players that is pretending Treek should be an achievement.. so that they can complain that Treek is not an achievement.

HK was put behind an active multi-part time consuming quest chain that even required skirting PvP and doing a group instance. HK is a companion that is defined by it's implementation as an effort achievement. Treek is clearly defined as fun and enjoyment and to be readily accessible to all players.

Common sense people.

Edited by Andryah

Really amazed how popular the Teek Ewok is. I'm not sure how much effort and time it has taken them to create Teek but , it seems they want some revenue from her and so i don't mind the methods they have described to purchase her. Mind you with the backlash of all this I highly doubt the next companion will be sold this way , we shall see.

Cheers ,

BadOrb.

I do not share your sentiment.

Treek is a great addition to the game. It's something many players like, and no player is forced to acquire it or use it if they don't like it. It is amazing to me how much so many players detest choice. Actually.. they don't detest it, they just don't want anyone but themselves to have choice.

And the way they are adding it to the game is consistent with everything they have been doing for the last 8 months.

Yeah.. some people don't like the CM, cartel coins, etc. etc. But so what. Some people, in every MMO, don't like something.

Oh don't get me wrong, I love Treek. I think she's a fantastic addition to the game (she was originally intended to be included as a part of the ROTHC expansion, by the way). I'm not even against the idea of buying her with Cartel coins, provided the Legacy Level 40 requirement still stood. In fact, I would probably have done so myself (buying her, that is) if that had been the case.

It's just this complete absence of a barrier of entry, this idea of being able to obtain gains for zero effort, all in the name of the mighty $ sign, that irks me, and I predict Cartel Market sales to take a considerable dip if BioWare persists on this course.

Edited by Machine-Elf

I don't know if I want Treek as a companion. However I am sure I will buy here just for the story arc. That said I have not decided if I will use in game credits or cartel coins. I guess it depends on how many coins it costs, personally I would have liked it if Treek came free at legacy 40 not costing a million credits. I also suspect that the cartel coin cost will be very low to encourage people to buy Treek this way than using in game credits so we spend cash on cartel coins not save up in the in game credits. Personally I hope Treek costs sufficient cartel coins to make the legacy purchase seem like a good idea. Edited by Izorii

Really amazed how popular the Teek Ewok is. I'm not sure how much effort and time it has taken them to create Teek but , it seems they want some revenue from her and so i don't mind the methods they have described to purchase her.

I agree.

But we all know that once Treek goes live.. Treek will be the complaint_de_jour for patch week. Too short, too furry, not enough customization, don't like his gear, Treek crapped on my boots!, etc. etc. :p

Mind you with the backlash of all this I highly doubt the next companion will be sold this way , we shall see.

Honestly, I don't see that much broad based backlash about Treek. I do see the same handful of players running heavy on the hamster-wheel of faux indignation. But this is true for everything about the game for the most part.

Edited by Andryah

But everything on the legacy can be bought with cc. You act like this is the first thing ever to happen.

Uhm. No. I only meant to state that this little ewok means nothing to some people (I could care less about her).

Don't put words in my mouth thanks.

Yes, the legacy system was sold out long ago - I was referring to rare mounts & gear only obtainable from endgame, raid-only pets, etc... - stuff that can't be bought with CC.

The fact that the ewok can be bought for CC means there is essentially no achievement to be had, and that's fine. If people want it they can buy it. Just don't fool yourself into thinking you have "achieved" anything by getting it. It's just fluff.

Here is the interesting part: NOWHERE did Bioware, at any time, in any way, indicate/promote/market Treek as a player effort based achievement.

There is a minority interest of players that is pretending Treek should be an achievement.. so that they can complain that Treek is not an achievement.

HK was put behind an active multi-part time consuming quest chain that even required skirting PvP and doing a group instance. HK is a companion that is defined by it's implementation as an effort achievement. Treek is clearly defined as fun and enjoyment and to be readily accessible to all players.

Common sense people.

Pretty sure that's what I said but go ahead and insinuate whatever meaning you wish to assign to my post. :rolleyes:

It's boring. There's virtually zero sense of achievement to be gained from a Cartel Market purchase. Personally, I'll be grinding my way to Legacy Level 40 (I'm a meager 10) and one million credits requirement, not because I don't have the disposable income to buy her, but simply because it's more FUN!

I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in this sentiment. And if other impulse buyers (which I have no qualms in admitting to being) like me are starting to think along the same lines, then BioWare should be exceedingly worried.

1 milion credits is -literally- nothing. As for the level 40 rank, I have a different take on it that I'm copying from someone else. I was it was CC or 40 rank or 1 million creds. I have all 3, I'd rather not depart with either CC or Creds...but luckily Treek is a healer, none of my toons roll with healers....

Pretty sure that's what I said but go ahead and insinuate whatever meaning you wish to assign to my post. :rolleyes:

You mistake my comment to be directed to you personally.

You did state the same thing.. but what you were completely vague about was how you felt about it...leaving everyone to try to figure out what you meant.. and in fact why you ended up clarifying in a subsequent post.

I commented on your comment, to inject clarity about the fact that Treek is indeed nothing to do with effort based achievement. The minority interest group does not get this and will not admit it. They continue to insist Bioware fix it and make it an effort achievement (most commonly by declaring that Bioware must put the Legacy 40 on the CC unlock).

Edited by Andryah

You mistake my comment to be directed to you personally.

You did state the same thing.. but what you were completely vague about was how you felt about it...leaving everyone to try to figure out what you meant.. and in fact why you ended up clarifying in a subsequent post.

I commented on your comment, to inject clarity about the fact that Treek is indeed nothing to do with effort based achievement.

Well good to know, I was thinking you were trolling me for a minute there. ;)

I guess my overriding criticism of, not just Treek, but the Cartel Market in general, is that it's beginning to feel like cheating. It's as if the more achievement-based free-to-play model (unlock ____ item for ____ amount after reaching Legacy Level _____) were the correct way of playing the game, and the subscription model were a cheap, Game Genie alternative. Edited by Machine-Elf

I agree.

But we all know that once Treek goes live.. Treek will be the complaint_de_jour for patch week. Too short, too furry, not enough customization, don't like his gear, Treek crapped on my boots!, etc. etc. :p

Honestly, I don't see that much broad based backlash about Treek. I do see the same handful of players running heavy on the hamster-wheel of faux indignation. But this is true for everything about the game for the most part.

Oops I spelt her name wrong and you called her a he , we better be careful as she is psychotic. What I want to know is how good a tank she will be , would love to see an Ewok kicking a** as it were. sadly mine will probably replace quinn as a healer.

She isn't psychotic enough! She doesn't speak basic! The lore is all wrong!

Be all and end all psychotic fluff is psychotic fluff.

Cheers,

BadOrb.