The new matchmaker

HrRav

My previous post was written without access to your post, which popped into existence from some wormhole while I was moving my trash cans around outside.

Previously there was no legacy look-up, now there is, right? I view that as a design change, even if your intent hasn't changed. I certainly don't dispute the rest of your post. Regarding the body of the post that offers justification about the change, I'll agree and go further- I suspect that from the dev perspective, this game has been descended upon by a plague of alts. Certainly from my perspective, it has been. I have like 20+ alts that pop in and out of GSF at times, probably, across the three servers that pop GSF. I constantly see characters that I've never seen before playing like players I have seen before, etc.

I feel pretty motivated to roll GSF alts, and others apparently do as well, as the barrier for gear is extremely low, and the pleasant lack of harassment (and separation of stats, for those who focus on that) are pretty substantial rewards. The costs are a few games spent undergeared (or zero games if you are willing to spend all your fleet comms), and the need to hide your character somewhere that a nosy person can't inspect them (legacy/achievement inspection is a serious invasion of privacy, imo, but that's a whining rant for another day).

The side effect of this swarm of alts is that any matchmaking is going to get totally ruined unless it looks at legacy. Once it looks at legacy, it will have a much better way of making matches, because the only people that won't work on are dedicated smurfs.

My point is basically, if legacy is going to be used for more stuff, push for more legacy links, such as requisition and cosmetics.

Honestly if they're going to be looking so much into Legacy, remove all the Character stats, and make them Legacy stats, which can be used to determine players skill level better for more balance. Also make Legacy hangers. (well faction wide at least).

I wouldn't want legacy or account stats to replace character stats. The stats are decorative, and they are the long tail of progression for some players. Even I separate my play by character- for some, this would totally ruin a part of the game that is primary for them, for me it would be a pretty serious annoyance. Why wouldn't you propose, for instance, a separate page for such things?

Using account things, including stats, for matchmaking is a totally separate thing. Apparently there is a legacy stat being used for matchmaking now- adding in others via a formula or hidden rating would just improve that logic from "haha poor Maulkat with her zillion billion games" to something with fewer edge cases to get wrong.

As far as hangars- I mean, sure. Most of my personal arguments against that have been based on the idea that things were separated by character. One downside of that is that it will reduce the cartel coins spent by vets on alts, but maybe that's ok, I have no idea. I do suspect that it is a monumental task technically, and if true, that remains a solid argument against it.

Edited by Verain

Some legacy record we could see would be nice. Also I can see why some would want a legacy hangar. I have 40 plus alts most have ships in various states with the main ships mostly mastered. All the colors and ship unlocks would be nice to see across the board.

I guess it all depends on how much CC they see coming from the hangars since that was changed over. If it's a steady course of income I can't see them changing it.

One thing I would like to see now with cross faction is cross crew. Please let us choose from either sides crew member pool. Some crew on each side have awesome choices to choose from. But to get the same crew skill on the opposite side you have to pick lesser choices of abilities to get the same skill. This should have been there since we went to Odessen and mixed all our companions up. The story is already there as to why we should see these other crew members.

Well, (a) I don't want that at ALL, I really like that both sides actually have some mechanical differences and (b) this is the wrong thread for that. If they DID do that, it wouldn't necessitate a tie to legacy, just adding more crewmembers to the crewmember window for fleet req unlock.

So correct me if I am wrong, but this whole idea of matching making really is not correct. Is there a way to trully call it as it is which is ........ the better players no matter what EYE LEVEL of gear will battle other like minded players. It was stated many times over....no more tons of tanks or heals on one side, and based on gear level you will no longer battle harder players.

Please rewrite

Hey folks! I wanted to quickly respond to this point made by Verain. I do not consider this to be a change in design philosophy. The "experience" factor of the matchmaker is not about the character. It's about the player themselves. To have any reasonable chance of gauging how experienced someone is at the game mode we need to evaluate the entirety of their play experience, at least to the best of our ability. Looking at character experience often give little to no insight into how much Starfighter the player has actually participated in.

I hope this helps to clarify this. Thanks!

If PvP is more about the player and not the character, why is valor still by character and not a legacy stat?

If PvP is more about the player and not the character, why is valor still by character and not a legacy stat?

The post is about GSF, because this is in the GSF forum. GSF has a relatively short gap between "create a fresh character" and "fully geared". Ground pvp is not apples to apples.