Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Last chance to open your eyes about episode ix

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Last chance to open your eyes about episode ix

aeterno's Avatar


aeterno
12.17.2019 , 05:43 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by rashencyberspeed View Post
I said "in part". Obviously there was more to it.



"Usual suspects in the basements of their mothers." Lovely attitude you've got there. I'm not making assumptions about YOUR lifestyle because of your opinions. Speaking of which, treating so many of your assessments of the plot of the sequels as if they are factual statements and not as the simple matter of opinions they actually are, THAT is what I call "obtuse".

On another note, have the early reviewers explicitly confirmed Palpatine is alive? 100% with no room for doubt? Because the fact Palpatine never showed up in person in the trailers, even though his voice can be heard, have led me to speculate he might just be around as a force ghost or something. Either way, I would much rather watch the film and make a judgement for myself instead of following what some dude on the internet tells me to.
We really gonna get into the attitude territory when you opened your salvo of angst at a passing pointing out of GL's absence with calling me "buddy" lol?

And I didn't know I need an actual disclaimer that the thoughts or beliefs I choose to covey in my online messages are in actuality my opinions. The fact that's the literal flippin definition of opinions must have confused me. My bad.

By all means watch the movie, if you manage to love it power to you. I never advocated against it if you'll notice.

rashencyberspeed's Avatar


rashencyberspeed
12.17.2019 , 07:03 PM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by aeterno View Post
We really gonna get into the attitude territory when you opened your salvo of angst at a passing pointing out of GL's absence with calling me "buddy" lol?

And I didn't know I need an actual disclaimer that the thoughts or beliefs I choose to covey in my online messages are in actuality my opinions. The fact that's the literal flippin definition of opinions must have confused me. My bad.

By all means watch the movie, if you manage to love it power to you. I never advocated against it if you'll notice.
"Buddy" is pretty light-hearted term. A far cry from calling someone a basement dweller. At least, that's what I always thought. If I'm wrong, then I'm sorry.

As for the opinion piece, well, with the general attitudes many of the critics have, it's pretty hard to tell the difference between guys who understand their opinions are, well, opinions, and the jerks who honestly think their views are absolute fact. (I'll admit I can get kinda snippy due to the MANY critics I've come across who are beyond insulting towards people who actually like the sequels.) But you implicitly DID advocate against the idea of people enjoying when you talked Lucas not showing up to the premiere, and that the whole thing serves as "a cautionary tale to every creator to only let go of creative control of their IP on their deathbeds." Whether you meant it that way or not, it basically sends the message that "this movie is bad, an insult to the original creator", which implicitly suggests that we are bad people if we enjoy it. It comes off to me as a "no true fan would enjoy this" attitude.

Nemmar's Avatar


Nemmar
12.17.2019 , 09:42 PM | #43
I disliked episodes 7 and 8. I think chances are that I won't like this one either given all the damage already done.

I simply don't consider them canon. Canon is what George made, not bad fan fiction.

But hey, at least rogue 1 and the mandalorian came out alright.

Nemmar's Avatar


Nemmar
12.17.2019 , 09:50 PM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by rashencyberspeed View Post
Buddy, people have been hating on Lucas for years over changes to the original trilogy and the events of the prequels. He sold Star Wars, at least in part, because he was sick of all the criticism he got and wanted to avoid being blamed. To be honest, all the hate on the sequel trilogy has ultimately proven to me that Lucase was right. The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi aren't that bad, but Star Wars fans have made it clear that will NEVER be satisfied with movies beyond the original trilogy... at least until another trilogy comes along. (People once hated the prequels. Now that the sequels have been made, suddenly it's no longer cool to hate the prequels. I am willing to bet that if Disney ever makes another trilogy, people will suddenly start calling the sequels great movies while hating on the new trilogy.)
And now he is with us blaming others. XD

Honestly, Igor duped him. He was dumb to fall for it, but he walked away with billions. It was cowardly of him to fold though. He should have ended his saga before selling, but probably was worried he'd get less green. Choices.

Fact of the matter is Disney spoiled the broth more than the prequels ever did. Actually, I also think the prequels were fine aside being prequels and we knowing the end.
I remember leaving attack of the clones pretty satisfied. There was great action and that Yoda fight... <3

So, yeah, I disagree with your generalisation. I do think some people are impossible to please. But the Disney trilogy is truly bad. I don't see my opinion on that ever changing. Episode 7 is probably the most ridiculous sci-fi movie I ever watched. Hyper space travelling energy beam that has no container and is seen in the naked eye. The shots were so bad too, showing the beam split at the last second to hit multiple planets, besides all the issues with sucking up suns, the shape of that planet weapon, how the surface wasn't completely frozen, how the people outside the firing canon weren't blinded and the atmosphere obliterated! A complete cavalcade of nonsense, and that before even pointing out plot holes and how episode 8 doubled up on the nonsense.
These are things that will never be ok for me. They completely broke my immersion.
I can handle bad writing, if the film is entertaining. They simply aren't. They are laughing matters.

Mubrak's Avatar


Mubrak
12.18.2019 , 02:53 AM | #45
I found Ep 7 kinda meh, loved Rogue One and Solo. Ep 8 was a total mess of plotholes, pointless sub-plots and forced humor. But hey, my 9 years old self wasn't that much of a fan of Luke's swamp adventures with the green muppet either, and couldn't wait for the next scene featuring Han or Vader.

What broke it for me wasn't what I disliked about TLJ, I could have simply written it off as yet another sub par SW movie, but then the people in charge started to react to criticism. Fine, if it makes you feel better, you can call me a dumb sexist racist pig for not liking your movie, but don't expect me to buy tickets for the next one. If critics I trust are good, then I may watch RoS before it airs on free TV, but that's it.
Let us turn off that gaudy flashing icon over every vendor's head.
Let us sort our companion list and hide or kick out the unwanted ones!

http://www.swtor.com/r/rszTdG

Falensawino's Avatar


Falensawino
12.18.2019 , 05:58 AM | #46
Sorry I'm going to watch Episode 9 in theaters.

as much as I want to get partisan and make a statement with my theater going, I have to acknowledge the fact this is another star wars movie to decorate the end of the year. When It comes to cable I can rewatch to infinity but there's at least one prescribed viewing in theaters at release. It's tradition to see a Star Wars movie at the end of the year, no matter how bad it is.

If Disney wanted to make a good movie they would have brought George Lucas for Episodes 7, 8, 9. They're objective is to make theme park attractions for the main Disney business
The most wretched hive of troll and villainy

Refer a Friend Link

cunctatorg's Avatar


cunctatorg
12.29.2019 , 01:13 PM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by Collec View Post
I don't use twitter,but I saw this video recommended by YouTube for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCuFVSDdQvw

PEOPLE WAKE UP ! I already had no plans to go see this movie n cinema and watch it at home...but what more proof do you need,that it's gonna be a trash movie?

........

MAKE THIS TURD FLOP: SAY NO TO DISNEY TRILOGY !!! Let it make under a billion dollars. Let it make less than 500 million dollars. I get it...people will say " whatever I'll still go see it"....knock yourself out...BUT PLEASE DON'T GO SEE IT AGAIN AND AGAIN...IT WON'T GET BETTER !!!!!!
Well, it already made more than 500 (five hundred) million dollars, let us see if it will make above one billion dollars ... and how much exactly...

To be honest, though the so focused movie is comparatively "poor", namely "narrow themed", it is nevertheless a great Star Wars movie and, thus, the relevant Trilogy will be embraced by all the fans in the future...

jovianus's Avatar


jovianus
12.29.2019 , 10:10 PM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by aeterno View Post
There is a difference between dealing with fan criticism and seeing your magnum opus retconned out of existance...
I guess he shouldn't have sold his baby to white slavers in a fit of pique then.

Honestly, I'll always be grateful to George for giving us Star Wars, but between the endless 'Special Edition' meddling and the Prequels, at this point I don't think it's actually controversial to say that the OT owes a lot of its success to the fact that he couldn't do a lot of the stuff he wanted to. Whether due to budget and technical limitations, or because at the time he wasn't THE George Lucas, and there were people around able and willing to tell him no and critique his ideas.

With all that said, the Sequels are a hot mess, and it's painfully clear that Disney did not actually have anything resembling a plan for what they wanted the trilogy to be, and made about the worst choices possible for directors/writers to do it. Abrams only talent is repackaging and polishing the work done by more talented people and selling it to a new audience, and Johnson is much too in love with sUbvErtIng ExpEctAtIoNs regardless of whether it is actually narratively satisfying. So you had two directors who don't fit the project playing plot tug of war due to the lack of any coherent creative vision or oversight...and the results are pretty much what you'd expect.

Joysie's Avatar


Joysie
01.06.2020 , 05:37 AM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by Nemmar View Post
And now he is with us blaming others. XD

Honestly, Igor duped him. He was dumb to fall for it, but he walked away with billions. It was cowardly of him to fold though. He should have ended his saga before selling, but probably was worried he'd get less green. Choices.

Fact of the matter is Disney spoiled the broth more than the prequels ever did. Actually, I also think the prequels were fine aside being prequels and we knowing the end.
I remember leaving attack of the clones pretty satisfied. There was great action and that Yoda fight... <3

So, yeah, I disagree with your generalisation. I do think some people are impossible to please. But the Disney trilogy is truly bad. I don't see my opinion on that ever changing. Episode 7 is probably the most ridiculous sci-fi movie I ever watched. Hyper space travelling energy beam that has no container and is seen in the naked eye. The shots were so bad too, showing the beam split at the last second to hit multiple planets, besides all the issues with sucking up suns, the shape of that planet weapon, how the surface wasn't completely frozen, how the people outside the firing canon weren't blinded and the atmosphere obliterated! A complete cavalcade of nonsense, and that before even pointing out plot holes and how episode 8 doubled up on the nonsense.
These are things that will never be ok for me. They completely broke my immersion.
I can handle bad writing, if the film is entertaining. They simply aren't. They are laughing matters.
The average film goer really doesn't care that much about the limitations in a fictional world for fictional technology.

I work in an office with 9 other women, none of whom are Star Wars fans... and yet they're there every release, because children 😂

Star Wars is forever.
Raise your fan flag or get out guys 💕

enkilleridos's Avatar


enkilleridos
01.09.2020 , 03:29 PM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by Joysie View Post
The average film goer really doesn't care that much about the limitations in a fictional world for fictional technology.

I work in an office with 9 other women, none of whom are Star Wars fans... and yet they're there every release, because children 😂

Star Wars is forever.
Raise your fan flag or get out guys 💕
Okay Star Wars isnt just for children. If it was then Rian made TLJ specifically to brainwash/indoctrinate/educate kids into accepting the Feminist religion which is just as sick as doing it with any other religion. The marketing for these movies (not directed at children at all) I think caused the most outrage. I wasnt a fan of TFA. I was hoping Rey and Ben were twins, I didnt think it was that bad. ROS was cool I only saw the Chinese cut. As anything that goes against Atheism most force ghosts were blurred except for that scene that makes me wish Daisy would do a Disney + show with the force ghost of Luke (maybe appearances from Yoda and Qui gon) with her creating the Jedi Order and falling in love with a redheaded smuggler named Mara Emerald.... TLJ was bantha poodoo..

What makes me angry is Disney made it bad or tried to use it as a social engineering tool on purpose to keep Lucas on. Because everything Star Wars not this trilogy is really good and solid. The Comics and books explaining some of this which is canon actually made me more understanding of the movies. Without ancillary things the new trilogy isnt all that understandable for people not nerds and not into the comics and books.