Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Last chance to open your eyes about episode ix

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Last chance to open your eyes about episode ix

YASARLA
12.12.2019 , 07:43 AM | #31
I guess you could say I'm one of the original trilogy fans since that is what I grew up watching, but I also grew up on the prequel trilogy when it came out in the cinema. I'll be honest, for a Star Wars trilogy, it actually told a good story while revealing how everything had occurred leading to the original trilogy.

The sequel trilogy to be honest has so far been a disappointment for me with Ray all of the sudden knowing how to use a Jedi mind trick and being able to beat Kylo Ren in there first duel, I would just sum up to beginner's luck. However in The Last Jedi (which was a disaster in and amongst itself), she is able to beat Luke (who had at that time become a Jedi Master) and fight off Snoke's Crimson Guards and had no faults seems like she was just overpowered to me; though I would blame some of the current social trends at the time for most of those issues. Though if The Return of Skywalker follows in the footsteps of The Last Jedi, then the only thing really keeping Star Wars alive is shows like The Mandalorian and The Clone Wars and the game Star Wars: The Old Republic; but other then those few things, Star Wars would almost effectively cease to exist as we currently know it

Collec
12.12.2019 , 08:29 AM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by YASARLA View Post
I guess you could say I'm one of the original trilogy fans since that is what I grew up watching, but I also grew up on the prequel trilogy when it came out in the cinema. I'll be honest, for a Star Wars trilogy, it actually told a good story while revealing how everything had occurred leading to the original trilogy.

The sequel trilogy to be honest has so far been a disappointment for me with Ray all of the sudden knowing how to use a Jedi mind trick and being able to beat Kylo Ren in there first duel, I would just sum up to beginner's luck. However in The Last Jedi (which was a disaster in and amongst itself), she is able to beat Luke (who had at that time become a Jedi Master) and fight off Snoke's Crimson Guards and had no faults seems like she was just overpowered to me; though I would blame some of the current social trends at the time for most of those issues. Though if The Return of Skywalker follows in the footsteps of The Last Jedi, then the only thing really keeping Star Wars alive is shows like The Mandalorian and The Clone Wars and the game Star Wars: The Old Republic; but other then those few things, Star Wars would almost effectively cease to exist as we currently know it

Exactly. I was 10 years old,when The Phantom Menace came out...but I watched original trilogy at 6 or earlier. Either this is like a memory from past life or they showed Return of Jedi again at one point (which I doubt), but I remember last scene from it and me sitting in theatre. The Endor and music. I still have TAPES of original trilogy somewhere at home.

I can understand someone going...oh you grew up with prequels of course you'll defend them. I can stil watch them today and enjoy them. And knwoing now about Jar Jar, which 10 year old silly me had no clue...it's even better.

I wonder how many people realize that Kylo got BEAT 2x in less than 10h. Like 5h jump from TFA to TLJ isn't enough to develop characters and tell a great story. This is how I honestly feel about disney trilogy: So of course he can't be big bad for episode IX, because he is a joke.

TFA was trash for me...but I saw glimmer of hope for episode VIII....Rey kinda had Satele look going on and she wielded a staff. I thought ok finally we gonna get Luke and he'll properly train her,she'll wield duallightsaber...then TLJ just took a dump on whole franchise...RIP STAR WARS....

Save money for something better....buy Jedi Fallen Order if you can...buy bayb Yoda...or don't...just to anyone out there reading this...don't waste money on episode IX.

I think people are still civilized...but if I was working at cinema I'd be worried people will be so mad,that they'll just trash everything inside after they see episode IX.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
REFERRAL LINK : http://www.swtor.com/r/ZB5DWv

JediAkemi
12.16.2019 , 11:09 PM | #33
98% sure that when they re-released the original trilogy in 1997 as the Special Edition, they showed them in theatres.

aeterno
12.17.2019 , 12:45 PM | #34
George Lucas not bothering to show up for the premiere of the grand conclusion of his saga kinda says it all and then some.

As absurd as it sounds to say it about a guy who cashed in for 4 billion, the poor dude is going to serve as a cautionary tale to every creator to only let go of creative control of their IP on their deathbeds.

rashencyberspeed
12.17.2019 , 02:04 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by aeterno View Post
George Lucas not bothering to show up for the premiere of the grand conclusion of his saga kinda says it all and then some.

As absurd as it sounds to say it about a guy who cashed in for 4 billion, the poor dude is going to serve as a cautionary tale to every creator to only let go of creative control of their IP on their deathbeds.
Buddy, people have been hating on Lucas for years over changes to the original trilogy and the events of the prequels. He sold Star Wars, at least in part, because he was sick of all the criticism he got and wanted to avoid being blamed. To be honest, all the hate on the sequel trilogy has ultimately proven to me that Lucase was right. The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi aren't that bad, but Star Wars fans have made it clear that will NEVER be satisfied with movies beyond the original trilogy... at least until another trilogy comes along. (People once hated the prequels. Now that the sequels have been made, suddenly it's no longer cool to hate the prequels. I am willing to bet that if Disney ever makes another trilogy, people will suddenly start calling the sequels great movies while hating on the new trilogy.)

aeterno
12.17.2019 , 02:58 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by rashencyberspeed View Post
Buddy, people have been hating on Lucas for years over changes to the original trilogy and the events of the prequels. He sold Star Wars, at least in part, because he was sick of all the criticism he got and wanted to avoid being blamed. To be honest, all the hate on the sequel trilogy has ultimately proven to me that Lucase was right. The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi aren't that bad, but Star Wars fans have made it clear that will NEVER be satisfied with movies beyond the original trilogy... at least until another trilogy comes along. (People once hated the prequels. Now that the sequels have been made, suddenly it's no longer cool to hate the prequels. I am willing to bet that if Disney ever makes another trilogy, people will suddenly start calling the sequels great movies while hating on the new trilogy.)
There is a difference between dealing with fan criticism and seeing your magnum opus retconned out of existance...

rashencyberspeed
12.17.2019 , 03:24 PM | #37
There is a difference between dealing with fan criticism and seeing your magnum opus retconned out of existance...
?

The original trilogy is still around. Disney only retconned the EU from existence. (And Lucas had no involvement in that, and from what I hear, was indifferent towards.)

Ollmich
12.17.2019 , 04:05 PM | #38
We can't say for sure that Lucas sold his franchise because of critical fans. He claims he doesn't even use internet. Did people attack him on the streets or something? Was he regularly receiving thousands of angry letters?

But we can say for sure that he was taking a lot of flak from media. That same media who keeps portraying Star Wars fans as vicious flesh-eating monsters.

A nice write-up for everyone interested in the subject.

aeterno
12.17.2019 , 04:54 PM | #39
?

The original trilogy is still around. Disney only retconned the EU from existence. (And Lucas had no involvement in that, and from what I hear, was indifferent towards.)
I don't know what to tell you at this point when you're being so deliberately obtuse... GL's dissatisfaction with the crowbaring apart the OT ending to facilitate E9 is pretty much a matter of public record.

And I mean, if someone did Pulp fiction 2: The official sequel, and stated "twas a roll of gold foil in the briefcase", the first flick would still be there, but it would obviously lose something.

So yea the OT is still there, but it needed the "Palpsy didn't really die" plot twist about as much as LOTR needs the The one ring to magically have landed on a floating pebble in the fires of Mt Doom, all just to facilitate a redo of a culmination of a story arc that not only had a very satisfactory ending but is one of the classical pieces of fiction.

You can't put enough lipstick on the sequel trilogy to mask the fact the narrative decisions of this ill thought out project needlessly upset a lot of people beyond the usual suspects in the basements of their mothers.

rashencyberspeed
12.17.2019 , 05:21 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by Ollmich View Post
We can't say for sure that Lucas sold his franchise because of critical fans. He claims he doesn't even use internet. Did people attack him on the streets or something? Was he regularly receiving thousands of angry letters?

But we can say for sure that he was taking a lot of flak from media. That same media who keeps portraying Star Wars fans as vicious flesh-eating monsters.

A nice write-up for everyone interested in the subject.
I said "in part". Obviously there was more to it.

I don't know what to tell you at this point when you're being so deliberately obtuse... GL's dissatisfaction with the crowbaring apart the OT ending to facilitate E9 is pretty much a matter of public record.

And I mean, if someone did Pulp fiction 2: The official sequel, and stated "twas a roll of gold foil in the briefcase", the first flick would still be there, but it would obviously lose something.

So yea the OT is still there, but it needed the "Palpsy didn't really die" plot twist about as much as LOTR needs the The one ring to magically have landed on a floating pebble in the fires of Mt Doom, all just to facilitate a redo of a culmination of a story arc that not only had a very satisfactory ending but is one of the classical pieces of fiction.

You can't put enough lipstick on the sequel trilogy to mask the fact the narrative decisions of this ill thought out project needlessly upset a lot of people beyond the usual suspects in the basements of their mothers.
"Usual suspects in the basements of their mothers." Lovely attitude you've got there. I'm not making assumptions about YOUR lifestyle because of your opinions. Speaking of which, treating so many of your assessments of the plot of the sequels as if they are factual statements and not as the simple matter of opinions they actually are, THAT is what I call "obtuse".

On another note, have the early reviewers explicitly confirmed Palpatine is alive? 100% with no room for doubt? Because the fact Palpatine never showed up in person in the trailers, even though his voice can be heard, have led me to speculate he might just be around as a force ghost or something. Either way, I would much rather watch the film and make a judgement for myself instead of following what some dude on the internet tells me to.