Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How do you get better at Galactic Starfighter?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
How do you get better at Galactic Starfighter?

SlimsPicken
12.15.2013 , 03:44 PM | #21
stage 1-I started by practicing flying into every asteroid, obstacle, and comm tower I could find for about 5 games.

stage 2- Then i moved onto not flying into everything in my path, to missing nearly every laser bolt fired in pursuit of my enemies for another 5 games.

stage 3- Then I tried not flying into everything in my path, actually hitting my enemies when i chased them, and working on my quick targeting and missile lockons for the next 10 or so games.

stage 4- Now im at the mercilessly defeat those in stages 1-3 stage, while running like hell from those in stage 5 stage.

stage 5- Have wingman, call out targets, absolutely destroy PUG players without their own squadron.
For every man there is a sentence, a string of words, which has the power to destroy him.

Turajin
12.16.2013 , 02:11 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by archifikoss View Post
were you focusing on upgrading a single ship, or spreading the upgrades around? And if so, were you directly upgrading specific components or simply unlocking them to try them out?
I tried out every ship once or twice. Gunship is kinda boring, and scout is (from my point of view) unplayable: it's advantage is high speed and maneuvaribility, and I can't handle those with what BW came up with as "controls". So I normaly play the strike fighter. And since I regularyly log on with different characters, it is not always the same strike fighter.

[QUOTE=archifikoss;7033697]As far as getting shot at goes - use the "who's targeting me" function thingy (I think the default is C) - as well targeting the closest ship that's targeting you. [/QZUOTE]
Doesn't helpmuch when you're dead after 2-3 hits - at least that's what it feels like it takes. Once I realize I'm shot at it takes maybe 1 or 2 seconds 'till I die - not enough time to do anything.

Use the environment to break LoS
Tried... doesn't work as stated above - not enough time between shot at und the moment I die.

Use the minimap and be ready to switch targets on the fly
For me, the minimap is of no to little use - can't see anything helpful on that thing.

Quote: Originally Posted by SlimsPicken View Post
and working on my quick targeting and missile lockons for the next 10 or so games.
"Quick targeting" and "missile lockon" - nice point. At least the latter is something that takes ages. It feels like you have to focus for about 1 or 2 hours on the target until that missile gets it's lockon - but in the meantime, somehow everyone else has managed to fire a dozen missiles at me. At least thats what it feels like.

Quote: Originally Posted by SlimsPicken View Post
Have wingman, call out targets, absolutely destroy PUG players without their own squadron.
Call ot targets? Man, I'm busy enough to steer that ship - how the hell should I be able to type something in the chat while flying - not mentioning that there's also to much action to read anything in the chat.

And what's a PUG?

MCaliban
12.16.2013 , 02:29 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Turajin View Post
And what's a PUG?
Pick up group. As opposed to you forming a group with people you know.
Better to be the tail of a dragon than the head of a lizard.

archifikoss
12.16.2013 , 03:40 AM | #24
I tried out every ship once or twice. Gunship is kinda boring, and scout is (from my point of view) unplayable: it's advantage is high speed and maneuvaribility, and I can't handle those with what BW came up with as "controls". So I normaly play the strike fighter. And since I regularyly log on with different characters, it is not always the same strike fighter.

Strike fighters pack a punch but their survivability is on the low side, at least for my playstyle - others' experiences may vary. Especially if pitted against scouts with hefty upgrades due to matchmaking not doing its job (which could happen given few enough players) a striker would have a serious disadvantage. Your plight sounds like a case of bad matchmaking man...

Doesn't helpmuch when you're dead after 2-3 hits - at least that's what it feels like it takes. Once I realize I'm shot at it takes maybe 1 or 2 seconds 'till I die - not enough time to do anything.

Tried... doesn't work as stated above - not enough time between shot at und the moment I die.

Have you tried making erratic, unorthodox movements? Cutting the engines, zig-zags without clear patterns, sudden bursts of speed? They tend to work for me, especially in conjunction with using the environment. Not always of course as a skilled player will still wipe the floor with me. They do add a few seconds of breathing time to focus. You need to pay close attention to your ship and the shield screen - the game does not telegraph being attacked very well so I can fully understand your plight.

For me, the minimap is of no to little use - can't see anything helpful on that thing.

It takes gettting used to - it's pretty bad When you know you're not under attack, try toggling the actual map on and off every few seconds. it will be much more clear. The minimap is only useful to see if there's a baddie in proximity - you'll be using it very proactively. You cannot gather proper information from it. Also - when you manage to target the guy who's targeting you - peek at the target screen as it shows you their range and heading, if you see the ship head on it means they're aiming at you.

"Quick targeting" and "missile lockon" - nice point. At least the latter is something that takes ages. It feels like you have to focus for about 1 or 2 hours on the target until that missile gets it's lockon - but in the meantime, somehow everyone else has managed to fire a dozen missiles at me. At least thats what it feels like.

For the missile lock on you have to keep the ship inside the targeting circle - don't bother leading it if you feel you can't both lead with gunfire and keep the lock. Greener pilots may even panic just with the "attaining lock" sound. Try unlocking cluster missiles if you haven't already (I think some strikers can use them), they have a very quick lock on time and their short range guarantees a few hits at least.

Call ot targets? Man, I'm busy enough to steer that ship - how the hell should I be able to type something in the chat while flying - not mentioning that there's also to much action to read anything in the chat.

That's where organized groups with headsets show their power...

And what's a PUG?

Pick-Up Group
Responses in red!!

BrianDavion
12.16.2013 , 03:56 AM | #25
one thing no one else has noted, that I'm gonna bring up.

Find the role (and ship) that best suits you. some people perfer to be a stand off sniper. if so a gunship (or protoned strike fighter) kitted out for "boom and zoom" fighting might be most to your liking.
others might perfer to go for a turn fighter. it's all cool

Turajin
12.16.2013 , 04:01 AM | #26
Have you tried making erratic, unorthodox movements? Cutting the engines, zig-zags without clear patterns, sudden bursts of speed?
Yes, tried that, but doesn't go well with the (in my opinion) terrible controls.

For the missile lock on you have to keep the ship inside the targeting circle
I know... and that's the problem. It takes like, what, 5-10 seconds until that dumb missile gets a lock on? I barely manage to keep a target that long within the targeting circle, because they either boost out of range, evade somewehere faster than I can follow (propably becaus ethey get along better with what BW calls controls than I do), or I get shot down myself before lockon is achieved.

That's where organized groups with headsets show their power..
Yapp, that's right. Well, I got an Idea: that stuff should be banned. If "Joystick support should not be included since that would give the joystick-users an advantage" is a valid point, than "team speak and similar stuff should be banned because it gives those who use it an advantage" should be a valid point, too.

Turajin
12.16.2013 , 04:03 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by BrianDavion View Post
one thing no one else has noted, that I'm gonna bring up.

Find the role (and ship) that best suits you. some people perfer to be a stand off sniper. if so a gunship (or protoned strike fighter) kitted out for "boom and zoom" fighting might be most to your liking.
others might perfer to go for a turn fighter. it's all cool
As I said: I already figured out that scout and gunship don't suit my style. Gunship is boring (I hate snipers), and scout is (for me) simply unplayable with these controls.

Leaves me to exactly one ship.

archifikoss
12.16.2013 , 04:10 AM | #28
Yes, tried that, but doesn't go well with the (in my opinion) terrible controls.

I know... and that's the problem. It takes like, what, 5-10 seconds until that dumb missile gets a lock on? I barely manage to keep a target that long within the targeting circle, because they either boost out of range, evade somewehere faster than I can follow (propably becaus ethey get along better with what BW calls controls than I do), or I get shot down myself before lockon is achieved.

Yapp, that's right. Well, I got an Idea: that stuff should be banned. If "Joystick support should not be included since that would give the joystick-users an advantage" is a valid point, than "team speak and similar stuff should be banned because it gives those who use it an advantage" should be a valid point, too.
Theoretically as solo players we shouldn't bump into those headset groups, but when matchmaking fails I guess we have to make do... More power to them of course for being organized but it does sting (ship pun intended)!

Again, try out the cluster missiles. 1,5 second lock time, less when upgraded. They should at the very least net you some assists if not kills.

Gotta go to work... Best of luck to you man

Turajin
12.16.2013 , 04:17 AM | #29
Again, try out the cluster missiles. 1,5 second lock time, less when upgraded. They should at the very least net you some assists if not kills.
What cluster missiles? They are some upgrade, right? Some upgrade you need req for. To earn req, you have to play. Playing this game sucks. It's not motivating beeing killed all the time, so I don't play. Telling me that somewhen, somewhere there is an upgrade that makes it easier is no solution when right now I am at the point where I think "i don't want to play this anymore".

Hyrune
12.16.2013 , 04:40 AM | #30
What cluster missiles? They are some upgrade, right? Some upgrade you need req for. To earn req, you have to play. Playing this game sucks. It's not motivating beeing killed all the time, so I don't play. Telling me that somewhen, somewhere there is an upgrade that makes it easier is no solution when right now I am at the point where I think "i don't want to play this anymore".
Well, "don't play GSF anymore".
But, if one wants to enjoy GSF and dog fights, this thread is full of good advice.

Note: Cluster missile + lowered lock time is very easy to get in a couple of games.