"Loot radius" limitations pointlessly penalize players

Currently, if someone is too far away from the group when a Loot Roll goes off inside an instance (they died and released, were AFK for a minute and catching up, etc), they're not allowed to roll on the loot piece.

Instead, the loot timer ticks down and makes them auto-Pass without ever seeing the item. And, they're not even allowed to trade it with other people — the game doesn't consider them eligible. There seems to be some sort of "loot radius", and if you're outside it when someone pops open the corpse/chest, then you basically get cut out of the roll even if you fully-participated in the fight.

This is really unfair, since all it takes is one impulsive person to loot before someone finishes running back to lock them out from getting anything that drops. It would be a lot better if:

• Loot rolls automatically broadcast instance-wide. No matter where someone is located when someone loots, they are allowed to see and roll on it.
  • "Temporarily tradeable" bind status should simply extend to anyone who was in your group when the item was looted, not exclude people who were too far away.

Could also not release when the boss is likely to die. Honestly it's your own fault if you are out of the range of the loot roll function. It's not that it isn't fair as much as it is players being dumb while in a pug group. If your guildies are doing this then they are being *****, but again it's not their fault you released.

Despite your urge to condescend me, this never happens to me because I am aware of the system's behavior.

However, I watch it happen to other people all the time. There is absolutely no reason to punish people like this for making the "mistake" of taking an option the game places right in your face when you die.

Or, even when you don't die — all someone has to do is be too far away when the loot roll goes off. This can happen easily with certain chests, especially after events like Colicoid War Game where one player can be on the opposite side of the current map. Someone impulsive trots up, flips the chest, and bam — one player locked out.

Systems which arbitrarily punish players for violating a pointless rule with no warning are not good systems.

this is a known fact among pretty much every player on this game and if you don't know it quite a few people will mention don't release during a boss fight or you will lose the chance to need/greed on a roll

also there is a 2 hour bind on items in flashpoints/ops as long as you stay grouped you can trade that item

the instance wide loot is a bad idea because if your group splits up and starts killing mobs the people away from those shouldn't be able to roll on anything that drops from that mob

also there is a 2 hour bind on items in flashpoints/ops as long as you stay grouped you can trade that item
As I stated, this doesn't work if the person was out-of-range at the time the loot roll went off. You cannot trade the item to them.

I still haven't heard any reasonable justifications for why this system should be like this. If someone participated in the fight, they should be allowed to see and roll on the loot.

I see no need to change current behavior, it is not system's fault but player action is to blame. You are expecting too much from the game, needlessly IMO.
What player action? Clicking the giant "Release" box the game pops up and practically says "CLICK ME, CLICK ME"? Or making the "mistake" of being out of range of the loot radius when someone else runs up and loots?

There is simply no need for a system that punishes people simply because it can, rather than because they did anything which can actually be considered "wrong".

Edited by SW_display_name

This is in place to prevent exploitation of lockout-based bosses. It's probably not worth coding different looting behaviour for farm-able bosses.

In case people are interested the exploit is to whittle the boss down to very low hp and then have everyone except one person exit area or die and release. The lone person finishes off the boss and takes all the loot. Then he leaves the ops and a fresh person joins and rinse and repeat. Using this method you could farm gear 16x faster if you had enough people to sub in and out.

It happened to me once. It wont happen again naturally. But I dont like this system too. There is no reason why everybody in the group shouldnt roll if he/shes in the instance.

The "return to med center" option makes sense often if your team has no in fight revive. You can run back and help to win the fight. But if your groupmates happen to win before you can come back, you cant loot because of this system. This will result in people not respawning to come back to fight and therefore some unnecessary wipes.

Edited by zzoorrzz

What player action? Clicking the giant "Release" box the game pops up and practically says "CLICK ME, CLICK ME"? Or making the "mistake" of being out of range of the loot radius when someone else runs up and loots?

There is simply no need for a system that punishes people simply because it can, rather than because they did anything which can actually be considered "wrong".

That action, yes. Your expectations are too high. There is nothing wrong with clicking on the loot too early, it simply has consequences you are complaining about. I, personally, believe that it is fine as is. It is a group game and group's behavior affects everyone. Sometimes your group is great and everything goes fine, and sometimes it does not. You are asking for safeguards from about 10 percent of the unexpected events. I consider that too much to ask. It is just my opinion.

There is a benefit in your post that may help educate some people to be more considered when playing.

That action, yes. Your expectations are too high. There is nothing wrong with clicking on the loot too early, it simply has consequences you are complaining about. I, personally, believe that it is fine as is. It is a group game and group's behavior affects everyone. Sometimes your group is great and everything goes fine, and sometimes it does not. You are asking for safeguards from about 10 percent of the unexpected events. I consider that too much to ask. It is just my opinion.

There is a benefit in your post that may help educate some people to be more considered when playing.

Yes, obviously the expectation is far too high to request a loot system that doesn't penalize a player from releasing.

/sarcasm

It's a bad style to loot before everybody involved is around and alive. But sometimes people lack of care, ignore the etiquette or loot by reflex. It can even happens they honestly don't notice one of the player is missing or loot trying to revive another player dead near the mob's corpse.

In flashpoint, I don't see a reason the loot wouldn't be instance wide. Running them without a chance to loot can be a reason to leave a group.

This is in place to prevent exploitation of lockout-based bosses. It's probably not worth coding different looting behaviour for farm-able bosses.

In case people are interested the exploit is to whittle the boss down to very low hp and then have everyone except one person exit area or die and release. The lone person finishes off the boss and takes all the loot. Then he leaves the ops and a fresh person joins and rinse and repeat. Using this method you could farm gear 16x faster if you had enough people to sub in and out.

I am confused by how this has anything to do with the "loot radius" I'm criticizing. If anything, it sounds like this would help the exploit since it automatically prevents the people who deliberately left from even being counted to roll on it, ensuring the single person in-range gets everything.

What am I missing?