Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

whats up with all those OP shadows/assassins lately?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
whats up with all those OP shadows/assassins lately?

Hiro
02.17.2012 , 08:40 AM | #1
dont get me wrong... not whining for a nerf.

just wondering what happened. shadows/assassins used to feel pretty well balanced for a long time. never thought of them to be either too powerfull nor too weak.

but over the past few weeks they somehow turned into crazy hulks. their dmg output feels pretty much the same as operative/scoundrel dmg prenerf.
seen assassins win 1v2 against well geared, decent players or at least getting close to it multiple times. see them slicing through groups like a hot knife through butter.
their burst is kinda insane.

did they get some kind of major buff in one of the latest patches? or is it some new hybrid spec that got discovered? or am i just paranoid?

again... really not asking for a nerf. just being curious what happened and maybe how to counter it ^^

Neovag
02.17.2012 , 08:42 AM | #2
We've been slightly nerfed, not buffed. Just that most assassins seem to be playing darkness atm and are therefore effectively burst-dps tanks.

Xenon-se
02.17.2012 , 08:57 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Hiro View Post
just wondering what happened. shadows/assassins used to feel pretty well balanced for a long time. never thought of them to be either too powerfull nor too weak.
Hybrid Assassins doesnt really work anymore... So they spec full DPS now

Asphen
02.17.2012 , 08:59 AM | #4
Man, Nerffff Inquisitors HARD.

Everyone talks about Sorcs, but I always thought the Assassins are worse. Nerf Inquisitors NOW.

Seductivpancakes
02.17.2012 , 09:00 AM | #5
Maybe people learned how to play their class more effectively?

I mean it is February.

Guapos
02.17.2012 , 09:03 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Hiro View Post
dont get me wrong... not whining for a nerf.

but over the past few weeks they somehow turned into crazy hulks. their dmg output feels pretty much the same as operative/scoundrel dmg prenerf.
seen assassins win 1v2 against well geared, decent players or at least getting close to it multiple times. see them slicing through groups like a hot knife through butter.
their burst is kinda insane.

did they get some kind of major buff in one of the latest patches? or is it some new hybrid spec that got discovered? or am i just paranoid?

again... really not asking for a nerf. just being curious what happened and maybe how to counter it ^^
There was a tweak to slow time (shadow ability) a few patches ago, that added an AoE snare effect. Apart from that, I think its more likely that people are learning how to spec their shadows/assassins for dps, whilst maintaining decent survivability. Combining this with force speed and force cloak, means a decent player can be very difficult to kill.

Sevvy
02.17.2012 , 09:08 AM | #7
They've always been as good if not better than Operatives. But now they are the only completely non-crap stealth class. So gg, they are everywhere.
Lag *** Powertech *** Helm of Graush
Sevv *** Sentinel *** Helm of Graush
<Hutts Don't Have Feet>

SWB-NL
02.17.2012 , 09:37 AM | #8
The hybrid spec which was available before the last patch was nerfed due to Technique/Charge changes and constraints which hurt the viability.

On the other hand the currently most popular PvP spec (31/0/10 Kinetic) was buffed/fixed; as the tooltip promised, Slow Time now also stacks Harnessed Shadows (making it considerably easier to stack those), and Force Potency finally works. Force Potency was supposed to add 60% crit chance to force abilities, whereas Particle Acceleration Projects (which autocrit) where supposed to get bonus damage instead. (+50% critical damage) This was not working previously (Force Potency would eat charges and not change damage) but was fixed recently. The result is that our burst has gotten a bit higher and a Force Potency + Relic/Adrenal Particle Acceleration Project followed up by a Spinning Strike can cause some relatively nasty burst to unsuspecting victims.

Teabaker
02.17.2012 , 09:54 AM | #9
Tank Assassins are very strong.

Thuull
02.17.2012 , 09:57 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Teabaker View Post
Tank Assassins are very strong.
We are, but we don't have the burst that OP is talking about.