Unoffical Cross-Server is coming to town thread

Touchbass

In the dev. Q&A on Feb 10th Dual Spec got confirmed and now an interview with Stephen Reid has just confirmed they are looking into a cross server flash point finder which is huge considering they said they didn't like the notion originally.

http://toroz.com.au/2012/02/stephen-reid-qa-summary-transcript/

Who won? Who is next? You decide!

EDIT: For people skeptical or lazy

Simon – Any plans for an LFG tool?

SR: Definitely being looked at including cross-server Flashpoint tool. Definitely wanting to do.

EDIT 2: The above is not "word for word" and there is a podcast that you can listen to and the LFD part comes around 26:10. Under no way or form does he say LFD Is coming cross server but he confirms that they are in fact looking at it which is HUGE from their previous stance.

Edited by Touchbass

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because the previous thread has exceeded our normal threshold for thread length, we've started this new thread for the community to discuss the topic.

As always, we ask that the community keep the following things on mind when responding:

2. No insults, name calling, or personal attacks

3. Please stay on topic.

4. Please express your opinion and thoughts in a constructive, respectful manner.

5. If someone violates the Rules of Conduct, please flag it instead of replying to it.

6. Keep in mind that everyone has different viewpoints. Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they're trolling. If you believe someone is trolling, please use the Flag function to report their post.

Thank you!

You know, they all but confirm it in their first community Q&A Blog post. Its coming, who knows how long until, but its coming. Personally I am glad for it.

Alot of people are making a stink of how its going to destroy the community. Well it won't destroy any community for me. I will still talk to my server mates and get them together for pre-mades and group with them. I will just now have a larger base and better pop rate for those nights when I am up inthe AMs pvping.

IMO a good move, they were stubborn and should have had it in at launch. My only complaint now about warzones is too few match types. But that will change over time, I have patience.

Edited by Fallensbane

You know, they all but confirm it in their first community Q&A Blog post. Its coming, who knows how long until, but its coming. Personally I am glad for it.

Alot of people are making a stink of how its going to destroy the community. Well it won't destroy any community for me. I will still talk to my server mates and get them together for pre-mades and group with them. I will just now have a larger base and better pop rate for those nights when I am up inthe AMs pvping.

IMO a good move, they were stubborn and should have had it in at launch. My only complaint now about warzones is too few match types. But that will change over time, I have patience.

Agreed!

All for it, if it makes finding groups easier than it is now. Sorry, but my idea of fun isn't sitting in Imperial Fleet for 3 hours trying to find a group as DPS. Yes, I have a guild and friends. They're not always on at the same times I am. Get over it.

This post is also in no way directed at anybody other than those who so strongly oppose it because "it breaks communities".

Sorry, it doesn't. Communities break communities, and bad players with bad attitudes are what contribute to that community implosion.

Edited by Asavar

Anti-Cross Servers say they don't wanna group with people they'll never see again. The way I see it, unless I know you in RL, no matter what I do with you in game, I am never going to see you again when the game is over.

The key difference is that the game will likely be over much sooner for you than someone who wants to build repoire with their fellow players in any mmo. This is exactly why WoW wont die. That game had a long enough period of time that people were "roughing it" w/o a cross server auto grouping tool that it established a playerbase who had built repoire with one another thus making the game more satisfying. A portion of those people remain loyal to WoW for that exclusive reason as some leave and others find themselves adopted by these established groups as they join the game.

As I said before, no mmo developer will ever make a game that playing it stays satisfying for any length of time based on content alone. Its the people we play with that keep us playing.

Edited by Vlaxitov

As I said before, no mmo developer will ever make a game that playing it stays satisfying for any length of time based on content alone. Its the people we play with that keep us playing.

That's a really beautiful sentiment, sometimes I honestly forget that.

The key difference is that the game will likely be over much sooner for you than someone who wants to build repoire with their fellow players in any mmo. This is exactly why WoW wont die. That game had a long enough period of time that people were "roughing it" w/o a cross server auto grouping tool that it established a playerbase who had built repoire with one another thus making the game more satisfying. A portion of those people remain loyal to WoW for that exclusive reason as some leave and others find themselves adopted by these established groups as they join the game.

That's great. So you'll continue to make friends,build rapport with people, and play for years with them in this game. How does a Cross-Server LFG tool take that away from you?

Edited by MalignX

I could see a cross-server LFG working for the Republic. All five players. On my server, the Imperial Fleet is full of people spamming for literally everything, so I'm not convinced it's need on the Imperial side. I could also see it being put in for really under-populated servers.

If they pull a Blizzard, and start nerfing the FPs into the ground because nub sticks can't be bothered to get out of the fire (not that FPs are all that hard, anyways), then its going to be a problem.

As for Dual Spec, I used my other spec in WoW for another tank spec.

That's great. So you'll continue to make friends and build rapport with people and play for years with them in this game. How does a Cross-Server LFG tool take that away from you?

For some players, grouping in server is the tool that churns the friendships and relationships. The problem is that we need more group content and reasons to form groups that do not revolve around flashpoints. Back in the day doing a dungeon was amazing, I'd travel over 20 minutes just to get there and experience them. Now I have to run the bloody thing 20 times, this is why people have requested a tool to make the process less painful.

The exclusion of city raids is a design decision I don't quite understand.

Edited by Touchbass

That's great. So you'll continue to make friends,build rapport with people, and play for years with them in this game. How does a Cross-Server LFG tool take that away from you?

How can you spend hours meeting people, if you're spending those hours running with people who aren't on the same server?

If they pull a Blizzard, and start nerfing the FPs into the ground because nub sticks can't be bothered to get out of the fire (not that FPs are all that hard, anyways), then its going to be a problem.

Its when they start nerfing FPs into the ground because nub sticks that can't be bothered to get out of the fire are going to be a problem.

I could see a cross-server LFG working for the Republic. All five players. On my server, the Imperial Fleet is full of people spamming for literally everything, so I'm not convinced it's need on the Imperial side. I could also see it being put in for really under-populated servers.

As for Dual Spec, I used my other spec in WoW for another tank spec.

I don't think nerfing goes along with Flashpoint finders. For those who want a cross server group you can get a "buff" like in WoW but those who elect to do them manually recieve no such buff. Some of the troll heroics were somewhat difficult if you didn't have the buff on and didn't outgear the place. Heroics shouldn't be as hard as raids but should have ways of tuning them to more difficulty.

Well, you can still raid cities. Had a few pubs try to do it to us on Tattooine. You just can't raid, say Courscant.

They can tell you why, after they tell me what the point of Quesh is.

I don't think nerfing goes along with Flashpoint finders. For those who want a cross server group you can get a "buff" like in WoW but those who elect to do them manually recieve no such buff. Some of the troll heroics were somewhat difficult if you didn't have the buff on and didn't outgear the place. Heroics shouldn't be as hard as raids but should have ways of tuning them to more difficulty.

There are three big ones I can think of that disprove that. Namely, the heroics that came out with the ICC patch. They were really difficult. Then they got nerfed. Hard.

As for the troll heroics, no I really didn't find them hard. At all. Especially not since I remember the original ZA. I remember this one time, one of our hunter's bow broke on the middle of the Hex lord fight. We (the healers) stopped healing him, and healed his pet in stead. Fun times.

Did 'em both in Cata, and could barely stay focused.

For some players, grouping in server is the tool that churns the friendships and relationships. The problem is that we need more group content and reasons to form groups that do not revolve around flashpoints. Back in the day doing a dungeon was amazing, I'd travel over 20 minutes just to get there and experience them. Now I have to run the bloody thing 20 times, this is why people have requested a tool to make the process less painful.

Gotcha. But as far as I can see a Cross-Server LFG tool is only going to apply to Flash Points. I don't understand how Flash Points are the lynchpin in making friends in a MMO.

How can you spend hours meeting people, if you're spending those hours running with people who aren't on the same server?

What is causing you to only meet people in a Flash Point? And I guess I am having a hard time with Player A's need for socializing trumping Player B's want to run content as painlessly as possible. I'm not trying to be willfully dense on this subject, I'm just not seeing it is all.

Edited by MalignX

This is when someone would come in for the kill and say "if you don't like it don't use it."

That sort of argument isnt' very well thought out. You can not use something, and still be effected by changes and mechanics. I'm not really against the tool, I just don't want to see things nerfed to pass-out-bored levels. I only used the LFG by myself a few times, and no one would ever say a word. Even if you tried to start a convo, it would die really fast.

Or, you'd run into a group of people who didn't speak your language. Made it really hard to communicate that standing in the fire without even trying to move=angry healer.