Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Returning player after 5 years. Lost and Confused

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Returning player after 5 years. Lost and Confused

Syrlex
05.30.2020 , 11:37 PM | #1
So I am returning to the game after a 5 year break. I played for about 2.5 years, and the last content I did was Ziost. I have a full legacy of every class and (I believe) every story done up to the point when I left. I can see & read the stickied posts that offer advice, but I have questions that they do not answer:
  1. My inventory is full of what appears to be companion gear, mods & upgrades. I have no idea what to do with it (salvage/deconstruct?)
  2. Companions seem to be completely unavailable. Why?
  3. How do I track my character progress on story elements from starting planet to where I am now? How do I find out what I have not yet done? Obviously there is KOTET that I have not done, but I want to see the gaps/missing pieces before KOTET story. I might spend some time re-familiarizing myself with the game by doing that missing content.
  4. Has anyone ever returned to the game and followed the guides for returning players? Are they useful? I admit I cannot tell cuz Iam just overloaded with changes and none of these threads really help make key decisions about "what to do first".
Any experienced, returning players who can offer advice ... I think the community would find it valuable; even more valuable than a set of videos from a player who has never stopped playing.

Kind regards,
Syrlex

SteveTheCynic
05.31.2020 , 03:49 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Syrlex View Post
1. My inventory is full of what appears to be companion gear, mods & upgrades. I have no idea what to do with it (salvage/deconstruct?)
Companion gear is now (since 4.0) cosmetic only (with the exception that companions won't be able to use all their abilities if they don't have a weapon), so any companion with body parts that never changed appearance (Qyzen's head, feet and hands, Yuun's head and hands; all parts of Bowdaar, Broonmark and the droids, etc.) doesn't have a gear slot in those parts. To avoid problems with "hey, your [REDACTED] game deleted my ultra-rare drop that Qyzen was wearing on his head", they removed their items and put them in your inventory instead. Vendor them, destroy them, deconstruct them, whatever, as you wish.

It's not the only possibility for why you have this gear instead of them, so read on.
2. Companions seem to be completely unavailable. Why?
Depends. Which ones?

If you have started the first part after Ziost, then yes, your class companions got separated from your characters, and won't be back until one of these things:
* You complete chapter IX of KotFE and gain access to the Companion Locator terminal.
* You complete the relevant chapter of KotFE or later in the story, or you complete the companion's "Alliance Recruitment Alert'.

When they are about to return through the story or an alert, they send you their gear before wearing new gear on their return.
3. How do I track my character progress on story elements from starting planet to where I am now? How do I find out what I have not yet done? Obviously there is KOTET that I have not done, but I want to see the gaps/missing pieces before KOTET story. I might spend some time re-familiarizing myself with the game by doing that missing content.
There are all sorts of lists of this stuff on the Internet, but the most obvious thing in the gap between Ziost and KotET is KotFE. The rough sequence is as follows, although I've simplified it by leaving out story-linked flashpoints and Operations:
  • Prelude on the starter world and part of the capital world.
  • Three chapters (1, 2, 3) of the class story on planets from Dromund Kaas/Coruscant to Corellia.
  • Interlude on Ilum.
  • Chapter 4, Rise of the Hutt Cartel, on Makeb. (2.0)
  • Interlude on Oricon
  • Prelude to Revan (Forged Alliances) (2.something high)
  • Chapter 5, Shadow of Revan, on Rishi and Yavin 4 (3.0)
  • Interlude on Ziost called Rise of the Emperor (3.2 I think)
  • Chapters I to XVI (note Roman numerals) of KotFE, Knights of the Fallen Empire (4.0)
  • Chapters I to IX (note restarted sequence still in Roman numerals) of KotET, Knights of the Eternal Throne (5.0)
  • Fractured Alliances, a sequence made mostly of story-linked soloable flashpoints like Prelude to Revan was (5.2 to 5.8)
  • Jedi Under Siege on Ossus (5.9)
  • various small interludes leading in to...
  • Onslaught (6.0)
  • The Task At Hand (Onslaught part 2, 6.1)

Check your class ship's mission console to see what missions you have available. Tell us here and we can advise you. Also tell us which companions you *do* have access to.

If you don't have your class ship, you are somewhere in the very beginning (before you received it), or you are in the first eight chapters of KotFE, since when you get separated from your companions, *they* have your ship.
Has anyone ever returned to the game and followed the guides for returning players? Are they useful? I admit I cannot tell cuz Iam just overloaded with changes and none of these threads really help make key decisions about "what to do first".
I can't answer this because I'm not a returning player, but *returning* players aren't necessarily the best to answer the other questions.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
I never had a Fine Mithril Sword of a very powerful glorious invincible hero scout with ruby inlays and platinum engraving in June language