[SPOILERS] STAR WARS: The Force Awakens Questionnaire!

Beniboybling

Okay so it seems most people have seen The Force Awakens by now so I thought I'd throw together a questionnaire for some fun. Just answer the questions and post your response below, and no need for spoiler tags. :jawa_wink:

1. How do you rate the The Force Awakens out of ten and in relation to previous Star Wars movies?

2. Who is your favourite (new) character so far and why?

3. Who is your least favourite (new) character so far and why?

4. Out of the returning Original Trilogy cast, who gave the best performance?

5. What was the most awesome/epic moment for you in the movie?

6. What as the funniest moment for you in the movie?

7. Do you think Rey might be a descendant from the Skywalker line, and if so is she Luke or Leia's daughter?

8. The death of Han Solo, your thoughts? Should he have died, should it have been done differently?

9. How do you rate the lightsaber duel out of ten and in relation to previous lightsaber duels?

10. How to you rate the film score out of ten and in relation to scores from the previous movies? And if you have a favourite soundtrack/theme, which was it?

11. If you could change one thing with the movie, what would it be?

12. Finn is featured wielding a lightsaber in the film and in promotional material, but he is never actually depicted using the Force. Do you think he is Force sensitive?

Edited by Beniboybling

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. How do you rate the The Force Awakens out of ten and in relation to previous Star Wars movies?

Right now, I'd say 8.7ish/10, but that, more than anything else, is probably subject to change as the initial hype-effect wears off (and as I'm less inclined to try to compensate for that hype as I judge it).

Pretty secure in saying that it will end up being my third favorite of the seven Episodes out so far (after Empire and New Hope).

Rey. The character concept and the performance were just solid through and through - I am 100% onboard with her being the new standard-bearer for the series in this Trilogy.

Snoke. I get that it is by design that he is still just this shadowy figure in the background of everything, akin to the Emperor in Episode V, but there is nothing about him that is piquing my interest or grabbing me at this point. Not quite sold on Driver's performance as Ren or the character design either.

Harrison Ford, hand's down.

The Millennium Falcon flying sequences.

The running banter throughout. BB-8 shocking Finn while Rey is interrogating him was up there too.

(Honorable mentions for "and you will drop your blaster" and the two Stormtroopers changing their mind about where they are going to patrol as they see Ren ripping apart the interrogation room)

7. Do you think Rey might be a descendant from the Skywalker line, and if so is she Luke or Leia's daughter?

Do I think she might be? Yeah, absolutely. But I hope they go a different direction.

8. The death of Han Solo, your thoughts? Should he have died, should it have been done differently?

Yeah, that was a good ending for the character and does a nice job of propelling the ongoing conflict with Ren. Ford wanted Han killed off in Episode VI and was lukewarm on coming back even for that one - this was a long time coming behind the scenes, and I think they executed it well within the story itself.

9. How do you rate the lightsaber duel out of ten and in relation to previous lightsaber duels?

Gonna have to watch it again before I rate / compare it. I will say that I really liked that they resisted the urge to try to top the Prequel duels in terms of how elaborate and complex they were. These were novices and half-trained apprentices fighting, not masters, and I felt that came across well on-screen. The fight was raw and brutal, not a showcase of technique and prowess - and it was choreographed well with that mandate in mind. I definitely liked it, overall.

10. How to you rate the film score out of ten and in relation to scores from the previous movies? And if you have a favourite soundtrack/theme, which was it?

Have to see it again to rate or compare it. I will say none of the new themes stuck in my head, but across all six movies there have only ever been three themes that did (main theme, Imperial March, and Duel of Fates) so that's not a huge deal in my book.

Starkiller Base.

I was okay with the Episode IV direct parallels up to a point - a Resistance/Rebel member giving a MacGuffin to a droid before getting captured by the 'black knight', the droid getting lost on a desert planet until he falls in with a native who then becomes the story's central figure... yeah that all felt pretty Deja Vu, but then they started threading in some new and different stuff as well (like Finn's story and the sequence on the freighter), and the execution was different enough for me to not be annoyed. But having the climax be an attack on the bigger, badder, Death Star... on the storyboarding level, that was just a bridge too far for me.

I will say, though, that even given my dislike of making the final act such a retread, I did find the execution of that concept to be really good. From the minor differences (the 'weak spot' wasn't a one-hit kill, it was a matter of hammering it with everything they had until it finally broke), to taking a cue from later SW films (alternating the action between the conflict on the ground and the conflict in space, whereas Ep IV was all about the space battle), to just the special effects, imagery, choreography, and pacing - all of that I think was handled really well. I just wish that on a macro-level they had come up with something more distinct.

For a less major change - I really wish they had given us a line or two of more context to explain just what is going on with the Republic. The movie on its own didn't give us much understanding of why we had "The Resistance" as the ones directly fighting the First Order, instead of the New Republic - or of what the ramifications of the Starkiller attack on the Republic system will be.

Edited by DarthDymond

4/10, worst SW movie to date. Might rate it higher when my initial disappointment fades.

BB8. Kylo is a joke, Finn and Rey didn't really move me, Poe, Snoke, and Phasma barely had any screen time so they are irrelevant.

Kylo. I don't care how people try to explain it, but him losing to a scavenger and not stomping a janitor is pathetic. And that's beside his ridiculous puberty tantrums.

Han. Not even a contest, he's the only reason I didn't walk out of the cinema.

Not sure. Maybe Snoke talking...yeah it was that boring for me.

Finn - "We will use the force."

Han - "That's not how it works"

Probably. And out of the two she's Luke's, Leia wouldn't make much sense.

Him dying wasn't a bad decision, but it was executed poorly. They pretty much glossed over it and you could see it from miles away that it's gona happen.

1/10 by being generous. There are worse looking duels but at least they made more sense.

-1/10. Yet again hilariously disappointing. Felt like Williams just restored his Recycling Bin and went with it. Couldn't recall any memorable tone even if they'd put a gun to my head.

I'd change the title to "A New Hope 2". One change wouldn't make this failure good in my book, so might as well just make it honest.

These are the short answers, didn't want to make a rant :p

Anyhow, what are your answers Beni?

Edited by cs_zoltan

I would put it ahead of episode 1,2,3 and 6. 8,5/10

I really enjoyed Kylo Ren. I think he is the Anakin Skywalker we wanted.

Captain Phasma. Great armor but nothing more.

Han Solo

Last lightsaber fight in dark forest.

Two stormtroopes doing 180 degree turn when Kylo had one of his episodes.

Well not Leia's daughter. Why would they ditch him in distant planet? Maybe Luke's.

Well they started to build to that moment when he talked with Leia. So it was done properly. And i don't mind him dying. The new cast are all likeable.

Best fights so far.

Nothing too special.

I wouldn't added that last scene into the movie. I would have liked to see movie end when resistance was waving for Rey.

9/10

Ranking:

V > IV > VII = VI >>>>>>>>>III>>>II>I

Poe. I honestly love Oscar Isaac in everything, he's an amazing actor, but I just really liked his character.

I can't say I really have a least favorite, I enjoyed them all.

This isn't really a fair question...Han had BY FAR the most screentime and things to do in this movie.

I've always been a Luke Skywalker fan, so the reveal of Luke at the end was really epic for me.

Also, the scene where Han and co. have just been captured and the Resistance shows up. Poe's sequence where he takes out numerous TIE fighters and countless ground troops while making it look easy!

A three way tie:

1. Poe to Kylo: 'So, how does this work? Do you talk first? Or do I talk first?'

2. BB-8 giving the 'thumbs up'

3. Kylo Ren: 'The droid...stole...a freighter?'

I believe she is Luke's daughter, but who knows?

I thought it was necessary and done well.

6/10. It was decent but nothing TERRIBLY memorable about it.

7/10. Enjoyed it but, again, nothing terribly memorable that stood out.

That it came out in 1999 INSTEAD of TFM.

I fear I'll anger folks here with my replies, but I tend to fall into the same camp as cs-zoltan mainly...

In relation to the Star Wars movies... visually I think it appealed to me marginally more than Phantom Menace, but I think Phantom Menace made more sense. I would say it's my least favorite Star Wars movie by a mile, and that's with me saying I really didn't much care for Phantom Menace. In terms of a straight up movie ranking on a scale of ten, I give it maybe a 5 - sure, I'll watch it again, and I generally thought it was pretty terrible, but I've seen many movies that were worse. Admittedly, I would admit that as much as I didn't like TFA, I do rank it somewhat higher than other poor movies because it IS Star Wars, even if it's not the Star Wars I wanted or hoped for.

Easily Rey by a mile. And honestly, I'm not sure why. As my wife and I sat in the theater last night, rather disliking the whole thing (from the opening crawl even!), I couldn't help but like Rey. For me, she was about the one bright spot in the movie, and I even think she made no sense. Really, I didn't like her development into latent force user awesomeness, but at the same time, I was rooting for her. For whatever reason, I like her, a lot, and the thought of watching her develop under Luke is the only thing giving me the tiniest bit of hope moving forward. Honorable mention goes to BB-8 by the way, and I thought I was going to hate him!

Every other character introduced in this movie save for Poe, who I tolerated. As for why, I'd go simply with they were terrible. Oh, and the uniforms, especially on the Empi... I mean First Order side - was it intentional on Abrams part that the uniforms looked like the First Order folks had their moms sew their uniforms after watching grainy VHS copies of the OT?

R2-D2 - hands down. Why? Because he looked and sounded like R2-D2. Yeah, you all are going to think I'm joking here... I'm not. He was the only OT character (and I'm excluding Luke since he was in the movie for 3.5 seconds and said nothing) that acted like his OT self. I get that a lot of people liked the return of Han, but I thought the script did Han a disservice. Han Solo doesn't just lose the Falcon and then take 30 years to magically plot-point find it...

When I left the theater since it was over. Honorable mention goes to when Rey force pulls Anakin's lightsaber from the snow - cheesy, but I did get a bit of a thrill seeing that. Actually, in fairness, just seeing Anakin's lightsaber was pretty cool. I always loved the blue blade, the look of it, the sound of it - Abrams did that right I guess.

BB-8 zapping Finn - I admittedly chuckled at that.

Yes, I think she's Luke's daughter. That just feels "right" to me, and I think I want her to be his daughter.

Thoughts... it was a complete disservice to the character. Should he have died? Yeah, I could totally see Han dying for the right reason, at the right time, and having his death be meaningful... As shown in TFA... I thought it was terrible. For me it lacked impact, and frankly, only Chewie had a semi-decent reaction, though I'd have liked to see him turn into a Wookie Hulk afterwards for a time...

It was terrible, but I think that was by design and this is one area that I think may actually have been done well. As I've thought about things, and read reactions, I think I'm falling into the camp of "Kylo isn't all that well trained actually" and certainly Finn has no aptitude for handling a lightsaber - nor should he. Rey too, while perhaps having experience with a melee weapon, she's never before handled a lightsaber and latent force power aside, she should be fumbling with it as well.

Now, visually, I think it was a very attractive final duel. I thought the lighting was right, the background was right, the colors were right. Something about a dark duel, with classic red and blue sabers clashing appeals to me (Empire is the greatest movie ever made after all!). I loved the snowy backdrop, I loved the look of it. That duel gets high marks from me in terms of how it looked.

In terms of what we saw though - yeah, it's certainly lackluster compared to anything we saw in the PT. Again though, I think that was intentional and perhaps well done. These aren't well schooled saber duelists here - they looked fumbly-bumbly. Was it better than Vader v Obi-wan? Yeah, I'd agree with that. But was it better than Luke v Vader in ESB or Jedi? Nope, not even close.

I'd put myself in the camp of folks who think Luke would have mopped the floor with Ren. Choose your Luke even lol - I say ESB Luke obliterates Ren, and Jedi Luke takes maybe 3 or 4 seconds to beat him. For disclosure, I'm someone who enjoys my EU Luke, and will even admit that he gets pretty over-amped power-wise. But I don't care, I am a Luke fanboy and nothing will ever change that. I'm willing to admit it.

I do worry though that there is nothing out there for Luke to do moving forward EXCEPT to train Rey. Did Ren as we saw him require a Luke Skywalker to face him? Hell no! There's going to have to be something fierce out there that requires Luke to actually step forward and have to face, because what we've seen certainly doesn't require his prowess to stop. (Ok, I'm again admittedly bringing in my Luke EU bias here - but I personally can stand on just the "canon" Luke we saw in Jedi having more than enough skill to take on anything we saw in TFA without breaking the tiniest of a sweat.)

Easily the worst. This is like the first time I've been disappointed in Mr. Williams. He phoned this one in. No theme we're going to be going nuts over from this one, nothing new at all. I thought I heard some Close Encounters of the Third Kind in there even... I was very disappointed in the score.

Abrams - he screwed up Trek and I fear he's now screwed up Star Wars. Going further, I'd say the plot... I just didn't get this movie. Rehash? Yeah. Beyond that, it felt rushed, it felt unfinished, and I didn't think it made sense. We have the Republic, and they're the government.... But there's a Resistance? Ok, I think I actually do get that, but it was murky.

Oh, and one other thing that bugged me... Why is Rey handing Luke Anakin's lightsaber at the end? Was that meant to be a visual way of saying "Mr Jedi sir, um, we sort of could use you back... you know? Um, like, could you take up this weapon again and help us?" The reason I mention it is simple: what need does Luke Skywalker have with Anakin's/his first saber?! Last I recall, Luke lost that one (and his hand) on Cloud City, and you know, built himself a new one. Vader comments, that his skills are now complete. I so wanted Luke to pull back his cloak a bit, to show, hey, look, I've got one of those hanging on my belt! I'm actually a real Jedi, you know?!

Again, I get the idea of arm extended, saber in hand as a way of saying - "We need you Jedi Master!" But damn it, Luke has a damned saber, his saber, the one he built himself. Did he lose that one? And did he forget how to make another one? And I actually love Anakin's saber! I do, it's blue, much better than green (my opinion of course lol), it looks cooler to me than the one Luke built... But man, I did NOT like that visual. *Luke Skywalker, needing someone to hand him Anakin's saber....* Shaking my head at that!

Okay so it seems most people have seen The Force Awakens by now so I thought I'd throw together a questionnaire for some fun. Just answer the questions and post your response below, and no need for spoiler tags. :jawa_wink:

1. I rate it as "MISSED OPPORTUNITY"(damn I hate things that have huge potential, yet fall flat / Mad Max was SO MUCH BETTER!). As a movie unto itself, it's an 8 / 10 for sure. As a SW movie...I rate it as a fourth best and overall average(I like ep.III better). And I know just what they are doing, smart SoBs they are. They are deliberately going slowly and as a soft reboot in order to welcome legions of new fans and prepare them for the annual Star Wars-a-thon. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

2. Truly, nobody. I liked the design of the female Stormtrooper with a cloak. That's somewhat how my BH should look like. With a poncho instead of a cloak, but meh(and a...that desert cloth thing instead of ST helmet ofc). Otherwise, perhaps Kylo. Even tho he is even more whiney and emo than Revan in KoTOR 1(and here I was thinking that is impossible), there is something about him...I feel potential about him. Best not to squander it.

3. Ren. Meet "The Chosen One", that is in all ways Luke Skywalker except the gender. Plus things she does are just silly. But more about that later.

4. Mark the Luke :p:D. Kidding(he had what 30 seconds time?). Harrison Ford, of course. He dominated the screen SO HARD. It was UNGODLY. Still as good as ever.

5. The scene where General Hux(I feel like Cumberbatch would've been better as Hux) orders that Starkiller cannon to fire. And yells like a Hitler. I found that scene both shocking and epic at the same time. I hadn't found anything that epic otherwise because it was either obvious or forced upon you.

6. I don't pay notice to such things tbh. Maybe that scene where Ren used her very first Mind Trick and Stormtrooper was like "*** did you say? I think you need more whoopin and better restraints :p ".

7. Possibility is high for this one, but I REALLY hope that they don't go this route. I would need to analyse the trailer and think REALLY HARD to whom was the "...you have it etc." aimed towards. Tbh, I wouldn't be surprised if it was aimed at F1nn lol.

8. To quote Tychus Findlay "Hell, it's about time!". Han finally kicked the bucket and kicked it in style. He was a good character portrayed by a PHENOMENAL actor. But I don't understand how Han, being as sly and cunning as he is, didn't see this one coming. Because...FORCED scene fml! Ah well. At least he didn't die in a random firefight with Sturmtruppen neither was the scene melodramatic or anything. Plus, we don't know whether he actually DIED. Come on, Maul was cleft in twain and returned lol!

9. The last one? Anyhow, the duels are done pretty good. What I found especially nice about them are how newbie and naive the handling of lightsabres by both Finn and Ren was. One of better scenes was whene the First Order invaded the...grassy planet with a tavern(did they actually name it lol? I think they haven't) and when the Stormtrooper kicked Finn's ***. Then Finn decided to just carry the lightsabre and use a rifle lol. Is like carrying a rifle and deciding to use a spear or a sling lol! Funny. But at least they had guts to give Finn freedom and preference. I wonder whether he'll stay like that. The duel between Ren and Kylo...OMG! They are BOTH Ren! Anyhow, that duel was nicely orchestrated. Kylo showed quite some aptitude with pirouettes, half spins and what not while fem.Ren was like newbie "CHARGE". The sad part is that movie actually allowed her to "win". You can't defeat an experienced duelist just by charging, no matter the willpower. Try using those brutal almost form V moves against Makashi for example. No, I am not saying that Kylo used Makashi-he most likely used Ataru mixed with Makashi and something else-I am just giving an example.

Form: Superb

Essence: Drab

7 / 10

10. I didn't notice anything special here. Tbh, I was molten by the original saga scores, but nothing of the new ones stuck in my head. The execution and form is most likely superb, but what's it worth when it's so easily forgotten?

3 / 10

11. I would've changed the whole movie. Rehashing previous content is always a NO from me. But just one? The director, for sure. JJ just doesn't have any sense of tempo. He is like Lamborghini of movie directors: obscenely fast and without any style at all. Even better, he is a Countach of directors. Star Wars must be dynamic yet serenely tranquil and almost static. Think ep.V. I know that is hard to accomplish, but you are not going to accomplish it by giving the reins to the "MAX SPEED" director. To be frank, I am amazed how Fast and Furious and such movies haven't ever contacted JJ. I think he'd make a spectacular racing movie. I sincerely hope that JJ does not return.

To put it into context: Star Wars needed a Jaguar and someone brought it a Lamborghini. You deduct the difference ;) .

Interesting responses so far, now for my own.

At this stage I'd give it a 7.5, it was an excellent movie in a lot of ways e.g. visuals,intially cast, humor, nostalgia etc. but the overall plot felt a little rushed and was lacking in the emotional investment typical of a Star Wars movie. Overall I'd put it above TPM and AotC, but I still prefer RotS and the Original Trilogy.

Still my opinion may change after a second viewing, I'm not quite sure at the moment.

My favourite is actually Kylo Ren, which was a surprise for me as I was intially unsure about his voice and appearance. But the look has grown on me, and the voice was actually really good and unique. I think Adam Driver did an excellent job, I'm also really intrigued to see a villain grow and develop in skills and mentality, which is nothing something we've had before, and it will be great to see him as a rival to Rey.

Snoke. There was just nothing about him that really intrigued me, that said he has a lot of potential. We shall see.

I realise that is has to be Han, lol. :p But aside from that and despite having literally zero lines, Mark Hamill gave off such a presence that I really can't wait to see him in Episode 8. I expecting demi-god level bad@ssery tbh.

Unfortunately there wasn't any particular scene that really grabbed me, however if I had to say something, it would be when Rey grabbed Anakin's lightsaber out of the snow, or when Poe and Finn escaped in a TIE fighter.

It's a tie between:

"It is I, C-3PO!"

and

"Is there a garbage chute? A trash compactor?"

I'm saying yes and I'm betting she's Luke's daughter. But she may not be.

I didn't see his death coming to be honest until he stepped on that bridge, I thought it done well however I think the aftermath was done poorly, Han just wasn't mourned. A Qui-Gon/Vader scene was necessary.

it wasn't quite as visually thrilling as the PT and OT duels but it was enjoyable and unique in its own way, very brutal, very visceral, however I wasn't keen on the lightsaber effects overall, too raw.

I have to concur with what a lot of people have said and say it was actually disappointing, which is a shame because the score was the one thing I was sure would be excellent. I'd give it a 6.5/10.

That said I absolutely loved the rescore that featured in the final trailer.

There are a lot of things that I could say here, but I'm going to go with a better soundtrack, something that stacks up to his previous works, and before this trilogy is done, Williams better deliver. :jawa_mad:

Edited by Beniboybling

There are a lot of things that I could say here, but I'm going to go with a better soundtrack, something that stacks up to his previous works, and before this trilogy is done, Williams better deliver. :jawa_mad:

After the blu ray release someone should really make a re-edit with the PT/OT score. I blame it partially on Williams that the movie didn't have a single epic scene for me.

For example for me the most epic scene I've seen in cinema is this:

Still gives me goosbumps after 12 years, but take away the music and it's meh.

I hate to say it (and probably have to go throw up after typing it), but they would've been better off with Zimmer. I'd take less Star Wars-y score over uninspired, forgettable score any day every day.

1 - Difficult. In the original hype I felt after the movie I'd say 9/10. Now I'm watching all the movies again (tomorrow, I'm going again) and it's better than AoTC, TPM and ANH. ESB, RoTJ and RoTS are all better IMO.

2 - Rey. I really really liked Daisy's performance in this movie. Her scenes at the beginning made me feel sorry for her! She's IMO the best actor from the new cast, with Oscar Isaac coming straight after her. I didn't quite like Finn.

3 - Finn. I just don't really like him, dunno why.

4 - C-3PO, Han and Chewie. I found Leia her role meh. She has changed so much over the years :eek:

5 - The most epic? Difficult. I don't know. Perhaps I know tomorrow, when I'm going again.

6 - The moment where Rey friendzoned Finn hard. Also the moments where Finn tries everything to be liked by Rey and she's just like: What are you doing??

7 - I think she's 100% a Skywalker and Luke's daughter. We have a bad Solo, so now it's time to have a good Skywalker to restore the balance :D

8 - I wasn't really torn apart by his death or something. I already expected he'd die sometime. His death... Well there are better ways to die, I think. At that moment I really thought Kylo would come back to the light. Until he gave him the Qui-Gonn and Emperor death combined :p

9 - Lightsaber duels were meh. The stormtrooper against Finn was not cool. Finn against Kylo was meh. Rey against Kylo was cool, but not quite believable.

10 - I didn't really pay attention to this and there weren't really any parts I can still remember. Imperial March and the Battle of Yavin theme are my favourite tracks.

Edited by PSVEindhoven

Better than 6, equivalent to ANH, worse than Empire, better than PT

Rey, Ren, Hux. Hux is such a Nazi, Rey is the next Leia, only better in every way.

Captain Phasma, overhyped, didn't give her much to do.

Ford by a landslide though THAT JESUS LUKE

What can I say? Luke being a ****** on "Tython" just waiting, Chewbacca going WOOKIEE RAGEEEE, Rey getting in contact with the Force within her.

Kylo slicing up the panel.

Yes and no. I think it's possible and it might happen, but people might see it coming from a mile away. I have an ALTERNATE theory: She's Palpatine's daughter. Luke might've discovered her at a young age and had her adopted by foster parents or something to hide from the First Order, and then her foster parents left her on Jakku when the First Order found them and captured them in that scene with the freighter flying offplanet. This would be why she has such a latent Force Sensitivity and can defy Kylo so easily, and why if Snoke is Plagueis (the music in the Opera in Ep 3 and the Music in Snoke's scene are eerily similar if not identical), he would be so interested in Kylo bringing Rey to him.

I cried. I hate them for doing it, but I know why it did it and it affected me. Good cinema.

I think the movie paid homage to the OT significantly, and that wasn't a bad thing. The entire movie was an acknowledgement, score wise, that they were retreading a lot, and it wasn't til the end with Rey meeting Luke that the true new theme emerges, so it wasn't extraordinary like the OT or the PT score, but it did the job exceptionally well by fitting with the narrative.

Not destroy the Republic, destroy Jakku. The planet was near them and the site of Imperial defeat, we knew about it, and while there weren't many people living there, it was close to them so using it as a PLANET BLOWWY UPPY test would be easy and I think we would care more about it being blown up than the New Republic Capital we know nothing about. Generally the movie did a lot of things that weren't fully fleshed out, but so did a New Hope (We knew nothing about Alderaan except HEY ITS THE PRINCESS PLANET, and Obi-wan mentions the Clone War but we know nothing about it).

9/10

Rey and Kylo.

Rey was easy to like and had this rogue quality to her. Kylo grew on me during the movie especially seeing how untrained he is,yet being powerful beyond even his own knowledge.

Snoke and Finn.

Didnt see enough character development of either one.

Harrison Ford.

The worst?

Carrie Fisher. Her performance was lifeless at best,and people accused Hayden of being "wooden" during his performance.

Falcon scenes, the first time Han and Chewie get back on board.

Han loving using Chewie's bowcaster.

Possibly,would make sense.

Saw it coming and when it happened I still wasn't ready. Given the way the movie was done his death could go no other way. It was well done, and i Loved Chewie's rage and heartbreak although i think they could have added more.

Considering none of them were experts? It was well done, the over the top fights in ,2,3 spoiled us all. 6//10

Bought it today and listening to it without the movie. Sounds great. Better ranking when i'm done.

All kind of connected.

Funeral scene for Han,more emotion of of Leia, more to the rage of Chewie and Han's death.

----------

Makes me wonder about the next one, as far as life debts(if i remember the lore right, and they go by it) are concerned, Chewie is now sworn to protect Solo's chilsdBen Solo, yet he's also sworn to kill Han's murderer Kylo Ren.

I loved the look on Luke's face, most people might forget the last time he saw that lightsaber his hand was holding it as it fell down the shaft in Cloud City.

Edited by Beranzen

9/10

Rey, she is so strong in the force so quickly without any training. Excited to see her after luke trains her.

Captain plasma. Only because you dont see her much. Looks awesome though.

Solo for sure :wea_02:

When solo died 😭

When fen gets knocked out n wakes up n asks if rey is ok lol.

Yeah definitely. I was thinking lukes daughter but thats not the way of the jedi order. But then who is there to teach luke the old ways.

Could see it coming from the moment they said it was his son. Shouldnt of happened but i dont think he wanted to be in anymore movies and you cant replace him lol.

4/10 but wasnt expecting much more.

10/10 just hope snoke is darth plagueis

Soundtrack was disappointing.

R2d2 wasnt a sook lol n helpd out lol

Rey. She has spunk.

None.

Ford.

Chewie plucking off troopers when he sees his friend die.

The continuous banter.

Yes and Leia.

Absolutely he should have died, Ford is simply too old to be an action hero. The way it was done is fine with me.

5. Rather bland overall.

7. Nothing really stood out.

Using the same tired script of blowing up Death Star's/Weapons is nothing short of redundant. Lose it.

12. Finn is featured wielding a lightsaber in the film and in promotional material, but he is never actually depicted using the Force. Do you think he is Force sensitive?

No.

Edited by Pirana

Added a 12th question that people who have already responded might be interested in:

Edited by Beniboybling

Added a 12th question that people who have already responded might be interested in:

No, not at all. And I think that was actually a nice misdirect by the marketing - I like that Rey ended up being the future Jedi instead.

- 6/10, It gets an extra point for the nostalgia. But it was just OK. Unlike many people here, I would say this was worse than the prequels, if only because it discontinued the story of ancient Rome.*

http://www.lasertimepodcast.com/2015/05/12/the-fall-of-the-roman-republic-as-told-by-george-lucas/

*I work at a university, and you may be surprised to know that in the Classics and History department, my compatriots (of the appropriate age) consider the Prequels to be the BEST of the bunch if only because they were faithful to history in their plot-lines. It certainly makes it easier to relay that period of turmoil to undergrads when it can be so easily compared to Star Wars.

BTW: I work in Econ, not Classics, so don't blame me for their Apocrypha.

-General Hux. Gleeson was by far the best actor in the movie.

-Kylo Ren. Why was he wearing a battered mask again? Oh that's right, there was no reason. Second place would be "Finn." It makes no sense that within the span of ten minutes he defects the only organization he has ever known, and immediately begins killing his comrades en masse (shouldn't they also be victims?). If the point was that "Finn" was a psychopath, then it was well made.

-Harrison Ford, but then again he was always the most talented (and the only one who had alot of success outside of Star Wars.

-The beginning.

6. What was the funniest moment for you in the movie?

-Everything after. From the plastic-y armor (CGI would have been good) to the absurd lack of logic and internal consistency (TIE fighter was supposed to flee without HD engine, Han just happened to find his ship after 20+ years at right time, and of course: All of the destroyed planets were in the same Solar System as the completely immobile "Star Killer.")

-She is Luke's daughter.

-No comments.

-How was Kylo Ren capable of the most impressive force skills yet, but unable to do the things we saw padawans do in the Prequels?

-No comment.

-Get rid of Kylo Ren.

-This may be an attempt to retcon, I think they will establish that anyone can become a jedi.

It is a solid 7. Best Star Wars movie since Return of the Jedi. I actually did the marathon of the first 6 first and I got to tell you, the Prequels were painfully bad. I had forgotten just how bad. 7 did a much better job. That being said I found the pacing too rushed and the music was not up to par.

Po is the one for me. He fits the Ace archetype that has been floating around but never really had a SW main character before.

Phasma, they need to do more with her.

Harrison Ford. He was amazing.

Han's death for the emotional impact of it. Nothing like it since the OT.

There were so many....do I have to pick one? Ok ok, the BB-8 thumbs up was good. I got the biggest laugh out of Han asking about a garbage chute and a trash compacter. Fan service though it was.

More than like she is. The movie worked very hard to make us think she was Han's daughter.

Han Solo knew he was likely to die. He went alone, no buddies, no space magic, no fancy tricks with a blaster. He walked out on the bridge because he loved his son and was willing to risk death to bring him home. It is one of the most heroic things seen in Star Wars. I don't care if they telegraphed it.

Honestly I would have to say 8. See fancy choreograph kung fu with lightsabers is not what I want to see in a Star Wars movie. I love Wuxia but I want depth in my duels. In this movie they were brutal and each one actually brought something dramatically to the table. Look at the duels in the OT, the drama was the point. In the Prequels it is more a cool lightshow. Sure Maul is awesome to watch do his fancy footwork, but as a character he is boring.

The soundtrack was a fail. There was no stand out theme.

The music most of all. The rest I can forgive. Hell we all forgive a lot with all of the Star Movies.

At this point no. I think he was trying to help but is an amateur, hence him doing so bad.

After the blu ray release someone should really make a re-edit with the PT/OT score. I blame it partially on Williams that the movie didn't have a single epic scene for me.

For example for me the most epic scene I've seen in cinema is this:

Still gives me goosbumps after 12 years, but take away the music and it's meh.

I hate to say it (and probably have to go throw up after typing it), but they would've been better off with Zimmer. I'd take less Star Wars-y score over uninspired, forgettable score any day every day.

You know I don't agree with you overall assessment of the movie but this is spot on. The music was just forgettable. I barely noticed it to be honest. I think Williams needs to retire to be honest.

Edited by divinecynic

1. I rate 9.5/10. This may be particularly meaningful considering I felt biased against the movie going into it for 3 reasons. A) JJ Abrams did Star Trek. I do like Star Trek I just didn't want any mixing tactics. B) I never liked the original New Rebellion/Legacy era as much as the Old Republic. C) The idea of a reformed Empire reminded me of the JK series, which I enjoyed playing, just thought the antagonists were dumb. Fortunately all of these quarms were dashed and I loved the movie from beginning to the end. My all-time favourite movie now. We'll never have the old Star Wars back and Star Wars will never be the same, but it was a phenomenal movie and I loved it.

2. Rey. She was a wonderful balance of aggressive and gentle, she was portrayed by a beautiful and talented actress, her character was completely detached from any notion of "beauty" which I really liked. She had a very comforting personality to watch. She was an all around delight to have as an on-screen hero.

3. BB-8. I couldn't think of a more suitable response.. I loved all the characters :p I only choose BB-8 because he was on the promo poster and played an important role yet wasn't very meaningful to me. If this answer doesn't count, I'll go with Snoke, but that's a bit unfair. We haven't seen much of him.

4. Harrison Ford of course. I feel like everyone would have gone with Harrison or Peter Mayhew. Han's role was just so paramount and touching. I've never been more affected by any on-screen death in my entire life, and I'm an awfully unemotional guy.

5. I'm torn between the final duel and Chewbacca's response to Han's death. But I'm going with Chewie's death. The fissure's arrival was too on time (if that's reasonable?). Chewbacca's response was just ferocious and terrifying in a way that ripped everyone's hearts out of their chests. I'm still regaining the feels while writing this.

6. I think the funniest moment for me was either when Finn asked if Rey was okay after the outpost exploded from the airstrike.. or when Rey followed up on her Mind Trick with the "- and you will drop your weapon" line.

7. No. 2 reasons: A) I have faith JJ wouldn't do something like that. We have to have that new hero that doesn't fall into the lineage. Not that it would kill me to see, but the Force tells me JJ doesn't have that in mind. B) Rey encountered Leia and Han a bunch of times and with someone with her untrained potential she must have sensed something! Not to mention her parents were taken away from her while she was on Jakku, and I don't believe Leia and Han would've had their baby there if they had the decision. Or Luke for that matter. Luke's done with the sand. I believe her parents are Knights of Ren actually.

8. The most profound on-screen death I've ever seen. We all died a bit on the inside.

9. I rate it 8/10. The ending was too well timed. Otherwise, for a refreshed universe and a completely new dynamic to Star Wars, it was tastefully brilliant.

10. 7.5/10. As a musician with a background in musical history (and obviously a study on John Williams), I was disappointed in that no music had struck my attention throughout the entire movie after the opening crawl. Though even if there had been any music that prompted me whatsoever, the opening crawl music is certainly the best hands down.

11. I would have brought in maybe one or two more homages to the previous movies. Maybe another "I love you" "I know" before he left in his final battle. Maybe a descendant of Porkins! Maybe Han could've talked on the comm system, assuring some Imperials that everything was fine, asking how they were as corollary. As side notes: I would have let the Snowtroopers in the office place just before the final duel play some kind of battle role. I would have had Ms. Phasma put up a bit more of a fight before getting taken in - or after. I would have also buffed up the graphics on Han's death fall.

12. I have no idea. I would like to say no simply because no one mentioned that they sensed it and because having a non-sensitive main protagonist to replace Han Solo seems pretty suitable rather than two Jedi. I feel as though Rey would've noticed that Finn had Force sensitivity and would have waited for him to come to before going to see Mr. Hamill on his mountain island tropical spot.

1) Tough one. I didn't hate the prequels like others say they do now (I remember when Ep1 came out, many loved it :p), and think they still have the best lightsaber fights we've had. Likely a 7.5-8 out of 10.

2) Rey. She had the personality. She was interesting. I can't wait to learn more about her (hope she's Luke's daughter and hoping more that her mom was a woman named Mara Jade)

3) I can't say I hated any of them. Finn wasn't all that interesting, but I'm hoping that will change in Ep8. Snoke we didn't get enough of to really have an opinion on him. Kylo wasn't bad at all. No Vader, but I don't think he was supposed to be.

4) Harrison. To be fair though, the rest didn't have much to go with.

5) Rey flying the Falcon.

6) Kylo destroying the interrogation room and the two storm troopers backing away and leaving. It actually felt a little out of place for the Star Wars movies imo, but it was funny :)

7) I will be disappointed if she isn't.

8) Made total sense to me. Han was Ben's parent. He loved his son. He knew there was only one way to get through to his son and I'm sure he knew there was a very good chance he could die at that moment, and it was a risk he was willing to take. Really well done for them wanting to put in a Old Ben moment.

9) They were not as good as the prequels which was disappointing, but none of them were really trained to move like the force users from the prequels were. I hope this changes in Ep8.

10) Truthfully, wasn't much different from the others imo. Admittedly the song that always stuck with me most is the Star Wars theme and the original end song on Endor with the ewoks in RotJ.

11) Luke not in a robe on what looks to be a nice tropical island. Gawd, be done with the idea of Jedi have to wear robes.

12) No, but I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to make him force sensitive.

Edited by SithKoriandr

When compared the the original trilogy. 4 out of 10 when Compared to the prequels 3 out of 10

2. Who is your favourite (new) character so far and why? None

3. Who is your least favourite (new) character so far and why? Darth Wannabee and Darth Snooki

4. Out of the returning Original Trilogy cast, who gave the best performance? Chewie

5. What was the most awesome/epic moment for you in the movie? opening credits

6. What as the funniest moment for you in the movie? the movie was not funny

7. Do you think Rey might be a descendant from the Skywalker line, and if so is she Luke or Leia's daughter? No the force has awakened in her.....

8. The death of Han Solo, your thoughts? Should he have died, should it have been done differently? I cheered...I knew it would happened and the Sith in me relished it.

9. How do you rate the lightsaber duel out of ten and in relation to previous lightsaber duels? Not very entertaining....A Neophyte Sith should be easily able to dispatch her even with a gun wound and remorse for gutting papa...He should have been full of fear and anger and was.....but apparently she was more angry.....I read the book and listened to the audio book...they explain she was full of rage and anger.....the reason why she won.

10. How to you rate the film score out of ten and in relation to scores from the previous movies? And if you have a favourite soundtrack/theme, which was it? jW is a master...this movie score sucked. I have it...and have tried to engage in listening to it and just cannot.....totally disappointment.

11. If you could change one thing with the movie, what would it be? the whole plot.

12. Finn is featured wielding a lightsaber in the film and in promotional material, but he is never actually depicted using the Force. Do you think he is Force sensitive? nope......he is a traitorous former trooper Fn 2187 is just meat for the grinder.....and to be honest I am surprised he was trooper material.........I guess I am used to proper troopers being clones and are serious and down to business individuals.....this clown was not a trooper. They implied some serious mental conditioning in the movie.....I guess he fell through the cracks....

Edited by Garravesh