Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How's the health of SWTOR and Bioware Austin in the wake of Anthem?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
How's the health of SWTOR and Bioware Austin in the wake of Anthem?

stockmks
06.20.2019 , 06:11 AM | #1
A returning (again) player here, just a gut feel question for general discussion...

What's the feeling and future of SWTOR and Bioware Austin after the tangible issues and likely fallout from Anthems flop? I'm finding myself.. 'compelled' by SWTOR again, and was thinking about spending more money in game, but it would be great to hear the pulse from bioware that all is well and at least stable for the future of the game.

Please don't think im dooming or anything.. the in game community seems vibrant and amazing full of people, the game (apart from pet fave issues) is an a great state at the moment. I'm playing more passionately than I want to be

I'm also fully aware that SWTOR has been running on a skeleton crew for many years now. I don't at all expect this to change, but what I wouldn't like is for me to spend more in game and have it all just chopped off one day randomly because EA. They've already sent support to a different support centre thats noticeably worse, enough to mention anyway.. and yeah EA. Though.. I have to say relative to other games as a service games I'm following, the quality of what said skeleton team produces is a strong positive surprise.

Im also guessing that the uncharted / dark souls Star Wars game coming is also going to flop.. but thats not bioware.

Am I safe buying stuff now?? or should I hedge my bets and not scratch the itch?

Typhaos
06.20.2019 , 06:49 AM | #2
I don't know whose answer did You expect here, head of EA?
BUT given the announced expansion in September (read: October) You should be safe for at least half a year?

Delani
06.20.2019 , 07:45 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by stockmks View Post
A returning (again) player here, just a gut feel question for general discussion...

What's the feeling and future of SWTOR and Bioware Austin after the tangible issues and likely fallout from Anthems flop? I'm finding myself.. 'compelled' by SWTOR again, and was thinking about spending more money in game, but it would be great to hear the pulse from bioware that all is well and at least stable for the future of the game.

Please don't think im dooming or anything.. the in game community seems vibrant and amazing full of people, the game (apart from pet fave issues) is an a great state at the moment. I'm playing more passionately than I want to be

I'm also fully aware that SWTOR has been running on a skeleton crew for many years now. I don't at all expect this to change, but what I wouldn't like is for me to spend more in game and have it all just chopped off one day randomly because EA. They've already sent support to a different support centre thats noticeably worse, enough to mention anyway.. and yeah EA. Though.. I have to say relative to other games as a service games I'm following, the quality of what said skeleton team produces is a strong positive surprise.

Im also guessing that the uncharted / dark souls Star Wars game coming is also going to flop.. but thats not bioware.

Am I safe buying stuff now?? or should I hedge my bets and not scratch the itch?
Anthem wasnt as successful as it was "supposed" to be so, im guessing they are giving attention back to SWTOR

merovejec
06.20.2019 , 07:50 AM | #4
Its fine to spend on the game now. Ever since Keith took over as producer the game went up! Sure it has its limits, but its definitely way better than it was before Anthem launch. We are getting new stuff, updates etc. 6.0 is coming also this year so there should be plenty to do.

Of course keep in mind that there will be quite a few hickups. Everythime a new area is launched the game has issues with all players overaloading the servers for example. The servers are also experiencing issues and downtimes so its not all so awesome.

Nevertheless the decisions like server merges etc have been great for the game and there really is enough people for anything, since there are only 5 servers now
Merovejec
7 days of being a sub, try it! Refferal Link
Achievements 5.10 68815

MadDutchman
06.20.2019 , 07:27 PM | #5
Game population is fine, and no evidence that BW is on the ropes. If nothing else good comes of Anthem, it does seem to have finally gotten the attention of BW higher ups to take a good hard look at how they do things.

Odds are this game has years of life left in it (including eventual maintenance mode)
Demand: Are. We. There. Yet.

Use my referral link for free goodies.

Jesira
06.20.2019 , 10:14 PM | #6
BioWare has multiple projects they are developing as well, and last I read most of the SW:TOR team that was put on Anthem has now returned to SW:TOR. I think overall they will be fine, Anthem wasn't really a flop, but it certainly didn't meet their expectations.

As others have said, SW:TOR is getting updated and has an expansion coming in September so all signs seem to indicate that the game is doing well and still has a pretty solid future ahead of it. A lot of the things the last expansion added that really alienated and upset a lot of players are being dealt with in the expansion as well and they are going in a really good direction.
ATTENTION: Include the Twi'lek into the 3 new eye colours from Appearance Options: Expanded Selections in the next patch. It was a huge mistake to not do this from the start as they are being grossly neglected as a playable species.

UmbralSpirit
06.21.2019 , 02:10 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by MadDutchman View Post
and no evidence that BW is on the ropes
Cynical: Many of the studios closed down by EA showed no such signs.

Severith
06.21.2019 , 07:41 AM | #8
Think of it this way:

If EA ever decides any of it's live service Star Wars games is being effected by brand cannibalism, they'll shut games like SWTOR down regardless of population. They haven't mentioned SWTOR in a quarterly report years, hence it's always a phone call away from the chopping block.

On the plus side: Bioware Austin is kinda like a purgatory for staff, they wander the grey stillness until they are needed elsewhere, and deposited here again when their true work is done.

Lhancelot
06.21.2019 , 08:38 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Typhaos View Post
I don't know whose answer did You expect here, head of EA?
BUT given the announced expansion in September (read: October) You should be safe for at least half a year?
I think this is a reasonable question for the head of EA to answer. Who is the head of EA, anyway?
The Revival of SWTOR: Petition for More Funding and Resources
(Click link Below For More Information)

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=959696

Severith
06.21.2019 , 09:18 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Lhancelot View Post
I think this is a reasonable question for the head of EA to answer. Who is the head of EA, anyway?
It's the villian from Lazy Town, I forget his name though.