Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why are Ships and Guildships so pointless!!!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why are Ships and Guildships so pointless!!!

Delani
06.16.2019 , 05:50 PM | #1
Why not make space exploration instance also. I know this is an instance based game but what if when we leave a planet, fleet, etc we instance into space. which gives an actual purpose to our ships and guildships. It could work similar to starfighter in the game but we just have different space instances.

TrixxieTriss
06.16.2019 , 07:26 PM | #2
Ok, but to do what exactly?

I think you need to flesh out some more details so that the devs understand what you’re asking for.

KoriVash
06.16.2019 , 07:43 PM | #3
For the most part personal ships are mainly pointless once you have finished class story. Still needed tho until then. Guild ship does have it usage for conquest, guild perks which I know are new but BW are trying to make guild ship more useful even if I personally think more could be done for smaller guilds even if that means having more than one type of guild ship.

As above poster has said, you need to flesh out you idea more. As at present other than to say you are unhappy with how ships are now, it does not really say a lot.

MikeCobalt
06.16.2019 , 08:02 PM | #4
The class ships used to play a much bigger role in SWTOR in general. Nowadays they're just an empty shell (Literally) of what they used to be, real shame. Zakuul removed the Companions and some felt they required "Super Cliff Hanger, Adrenaline Overload, Grand Finale" action constantly so the "Any planet to Any Planet Instantly" function was added. All these changes has left the ships a shadow of what they once were.

MingusPho
06.16.2019 , 10:34 PM | #5
I'd love to see some group pve content with class ships. But it would need a revamp so that ships could fulfill the three trinity roles. Missions similar to flashpoints only in space using class ships with a compliment of abilities based on role would be like a whole new game.

Delani
06.16.2019 , 10:37 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by MikeCobalt View Post
The class ships used to play a much bigger role in SWTOR in general. Nowadays they're just an empty shell (Literally) of what they used to be, real shame. Zakuul removed the Companions and some felt they required "Super Cliff Hanger, Adrenaline Overload, Grand Finale" action constantly so the "Any planet to Any Planet Instantly" function was added. All these changes has left the ships a shadow of what they once were.
Yea they need a purpose, I dont care what it is.

Delani
06.16.2019 , 10:38 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
Ok, but to do what exactly?

I think you need to flesh out some more details so that the devs understand what you’re asking for.
Maybe place exploration, you have to use your ship to travel to planets or the fleet and when you get close enough you instance into the place. Something, idk but whats the point of having a ship

Delani
06.16.2019 , 10:39 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by MingusPho View Post
I'd love to see some group pve content with class ships. But it would need a revamp so that ships could fulfill the three trinity roles. Missions similar to flashpoints only in space using class ships with a compliment of abilities based on role would be like a whole new game.
See, i didnt even think of pve missions with ships, thats dope

Sarlegant
06.16.2019 , 11:34 PM | #9
Personal ships are no longer required due to alternate means of travel, however they remain as useful now as. They have ever been.

Guild ships remain quite useful, for both fast travel via summons, and as gathering places. In fact if more guildmssters got over their need to create art, they could be more useful.

My main stronghold, Nar, the opening room, is the utility room, with all the venders, mod table, mail, vaults, all the actually useful stuff, in one room. The rest of Nar, is the trophy rooms.

I am just saying, if my guild stronghold and ship has a utility room, I’d expect more of us guildies would be there more often using it as our personal base of ops, instead of just for the weekly guild meeting. But that’s artsy guildmasters, not BioWare.

Delani
06.16.2019 , 11:59 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Sarlegant View Post
Personal ships are no longer required due to alternate means of travel, however they remain as useful now as. They have ever been.

Guild ships remain quite useful, for both fast travel via summons, and as gathering places. In fact if more guildmssters got over their need to create art, they could be more useful.

My main stronghold, Nar, the opening room, is the utility room, with all the venders, mod table, mail, vaults, all the actually useful stuff, in one room. The rest of Nar, is the trophy rooms.

I am just saying, if my guild stronghold and ship has a utility room, I’d expect more of us guildies would be there more often using it as our personal base of ops, instead of just for the weekly guild meeting. But that’s artsy guildmasters, not BioWare.
Im still new to the PC gaming world, as of four years ago I bought my very first gaming PC because I was finally able to afford one and ever since then I have been hooked. But during my journey, I have learned that people use gaming as a social hub, an escape, and sometimes a way to form communities. When you mentioned that your guild has weekly meetings that reminded me of being in college preparing for a group project or working in the office discussing how we were going to meet a quota. I dont think a lot of game developers realize exactly how important gaming has become in some peoples everyday life which shows in a games success or failure. Implementing systems/game functions that make the game more community based is almost as important as releasing content.

Imagine if you and your guildmates were able to fly to your guildship for your meeting instead of just instancing in, that would make group meetings much more interesting and possibly fun. Also what if you could control your guildship in a space instance and use it go to remote locations or do even "cooler or spontaneous" things. This type of mechanic adds so much more to the game than people realize because of the psycholical factors that go into gaming.