Attn : New PvPers Hypergates

TrixxieTriss

New PvPers please learn the objectives of each type of map, especially Hypergates and guard it if you cap the node.

I'm getting sick of losing in this map because noobs cap and run off.

The rule is "if you cap it, you guard it" unless someone agrees to come swap. Don't cap and run.

This is obviously just one WZ map. There are many others to learn too. Please take the time to do so or ask someone.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New PvPers please learn the objectives of each type of map, especially Hypergates and guard it if you cap the node.

The rule is "if you cap it, you guard it" unless someone agrees to come swap. Don't cap and run.

This is obviously just one WZ map. There are many others to learn too. Please take the time to do so or ask someone.

Or if you are so frelling inept that the Mara realizes you've completely neglected capping your pylon and has to do it- I did a Hypergate where I essentially capped and guarded because my team thought capping had germs. No, let's go mess around in mid. It's all well and great when the enemy is so stupid you see them run from the node so far out you can cap. I've guarded more on my Mara in the last few weeks than in months because everybody runs from nodes, basically crying out 'not it'. Guarded on my healer, depriving team of heals because again, our nodes must have cooties. :rolleyes:

I am squishy and free food for Stealths... or Odessen- for the love of everything- use mods, suicide but don't jump into unwinnable fights with a deactivate unless its their control point and you can stay up long enough to kill it. Only go for the mods if you know how to use them, do not grab them and run around like a moron.

I know this is not the case. But, you come off as someone who refuses to cap and expects others to defend while you try to get the most kills. Maybe if you explain how the map is best played then the newbs might get the idea....

Real pvpers can do both ;)

I do damage but I learned that my lag makes the tight timing difficult- besides, I can have more kills and do more than a Mara/Sent on the opposite team with a high DPS score, so both styles work as long as you're contributing. It doesn't matter if you get four medals and win as long as you're helping your team win. Everything else fades.

Ideally, the person capturing (and then guarding) the node will have stealth-detection so they can call incoming before they get stunned, rather than after :o

In any case, I will guard if no-one else does, but unless I'm on my Gunslinger, I prefer to hand off to a teammate that has stealth detection... and if I'm on my Operative, I prefer to be the reason you want stealth detection ;)

Since my guild transferred to T3-M4 I can also determine, that I have to defend very often. Even, if I haven't done it at the beginning, I will end up catching something and defend that. So, don't bother, when you find yourself defending something; it's your destiny!

To be fair, I usually play shadow, a mara is maybe a bad choice. I would suggest you, to swap classes.

Since my guild transferred to T3-M4 I can also determine, that I have to defend very often. Even, if I haven't done it at the beginning, I will end up catching something and defend that. So, don't bother, when you find yourself defending something; it's your destiny!

To be fair, I usually play shadow, a mara is maybe a bad choice. I would suggest you, to swap classes.

I play three classes primarily at endgame PvP (thank you Bioware and your twit ladden idea to ruin endgame gearing for PvP) and I usually don't guard- but when you're in a match with your Marauder (my main), I can't exactly switch her out for my Juggernaut tank. I'm very good at Objective PvP, even on my Mara... but no matter your class, if you get a derpy team- only the Force can save you... you're screwed.

It wouldn't be a problem except for idiots capping, running off- or securing a node that is still under attack and running off before it's secured. I literally turned around on Novare Coast, ready to guard as everyone else ran away from the node/emplacement and there was two enemies as most of our team ran off, trying to cap without any Stealth. I was so embarrassed I was on that team- fortunately, we held the node because I was able to call and someone helped me get rid of them.

Edited by AllisonLightning

Real PvP'ers focus on damage only /kappa

I've seen this. It's all for the medals. Everyone killing each other not noticing the FREAKING ball carrier was walking unharmed to our goal. I was on my healer and I took them down with like 5 attack abilities...that's it. Of course I was jumped by 3 of the other team the moment I got the ball. My team was still down in the pits killing things. Needless to say it was a very fast loss. However my team had lots of medals from killing the same 2 or 3 from the other team.

Edited by americanaussie

Ideally, the person capturing (and then guarding) the node will have stealth-detection so they can call incoming before they get stunned, rather than after :o

Ideally you don't stand in stupid. "Stupid" when guarding a node is so close to the node that a stealther can get to the node and cap in 8s. When you are mezzed from stealth, and the stealther can immediately start capping, you already lost the node - when you don't break he caps, when you break he uses his 8s in-combat mezz, and will cap now.

Except Sorcs and PTs of course. With a second stunbreak, or when you can keep them from capping while being stunned, it's perfectly fine to stand right upon the node. If you do this, stealthers may waste their time with a sap-cap attempt (and give you plenty of time to call inc) instead of doing a surprise attack, which may be over before you can decide whether to fight back or call for help.

Edited by Mubrak

I know this is not the case. But, you come off as someone who refuses to cap and expects others to defend while you try to get the most kills. Maybe if you explain how the map is best played then the newbs might get the idea....

Absolutely not the case. If I need to cap, I will, but I will then stay and guard. My issue isn't that people go there, they do, it's that they go there, cap and run off, leaving it undefended.

People who do that are just as bad as people who only farm numbers. Those people that go there and run off are farming medals for capping. They only care that they got that cap medal.

If you aren't going to guard, then don't go there. Let the person who does go and cap have the medal. The only reason multiple people should go there is if the enemy is has people heading there.

It also comes down to class roles. If your class isn't suited to guard, especially if stealths show up, then you shouldn't be running to cap the node. If your role is a pure dps role to put pressure on healers, then you should be doing that. If you are a healer you shouldn't even be at the node unless there are more than enough healers on your team.

By far the absolute best guards in Hypergates are stealths, but they also play a role in stealing nodes. So if you have more than 2 stealths, one should guard while the other 1-2 try to steal.

That doesn't mean that other classes can guard, snipers, PTs, Sorc and even Mercs now are viable. Having melee dps guard is a waste, they should be mid, pressuring healers or lone players.

Obviously team classes are completely random and some teams won't have healers, stealths or range or melee. So you have to use your brains to see what's needed. If you have no healers and they have a few as well as mostly ranged, then your melee are going to die faster than your ranged. If they have mostly ranged and no healers, this is when your melee can dominate their ranged.

But that's not the issue here. The problem is people capping and running off. At the beginning of every match I tell people if I am going to cap and guard. Sure enough 2 others follow me so they can cap to get the medal and run off. If I'm not going to cap I tell them that "if they cap it, they guard it". Sure enough, 2-3 run there and all try to cap and then all of them run to mid and leave it unguarded. If I see someone running to the node I won't go, I'll go to mid where I'm needed.

It's not like myself and others aren't communicating before the match, we are, it's that people are selfish.

I do damage but I learned that my lag makes the tight timing difficult- besides, I can have more kills and do more than a Mara/Sent on the opposite team with a high DPS score, so both styles work as long as you're contributing. It doesn't matter if you get four medals and win as long as you're helping your team win. Everything else fades.

Its about playing the objectives and not running away from them to solo people all over the map. You can still top the damage and play objectives at the same time. This is something most dps farmers don't understand, good players can do both, it's not hard. I always sigh when I see someone telling the team that their dps is rubbish or we don't have enough and then I see them away from the objectives chasing people. We lose the match because people don't the play the objectives, the dps farmers complain that people's dps is bad, but those are the people who are trying to play the objectives and are stuck at the nodes. There is no point having massive dps if you lose.

The best thing is to get the enemy within range of the nodes, then the bulk of your team can focus them. Having people spread out means less dps for your team, not the other way around.

I've seen this. It's all for the medals. Everyone killing each other not noticing the FREAKING ball carrier was walking unharmed to our goal. I was on my healer and I took them down with like 5 attack abilities...that's it. Of course I was jumped by 3 of the other team the moment I got the ball. My team was still down in the pits killing things. Needless to say it was a very fast loss. However my team had lots of medals from killing the same 2 or 3 from the other team.

Hutt Ball is my favourite WZ. I remember when we were playing 8 man ranked HB and we were asking for an option to have a HB league. Even Eric said it sounded awesome and they put it on their wall of ideas.

So when I go into a HB match these days and see noobs doing exactly what you describe, it completely ruins my favourite maps.

I even ask them to play the ball and give some basic instructions at the beginning of the map. But once I see them Death matching and not even playing the ball, I'm ready to leave. I give them 2 chances to get their act together or I leave.

The medal system is rubbish and has always been generic, which doesn't address the different maps and objectives in the game. Each map should have its own medal system. ie HB medals should be awarded for killing the ball carrier, scoring, passing, supporting, etc. while pure dps is needed, it's not what the map is about.

I usually do more healing on my dps classes with off heal and also more tanking on my dps. It's about supporting the ball carrier. If I can get ahead to either pull the ball carrier or be ready for a pass, then I'm not going to have heaps of dps. In some of the best matches I do little to no dps because I'm more concerned with winning. I've actually got zero dps in matches and won them because all I'm doing is playing the ball.

The medals in any map are stupid because they don't represent the game properly. It's about time they were either over hauled or just removed.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

And how exactly do you expect "noobs" to hold a node if they don't know what they're doing?

Practice.

It's not that they are noobs, it's that they run off and leave it undefended. If they can't hold it, then don't go and cap it.

But if they stay and die, then at least they are trying. Running off isn't trying.

Practice.

It's not that they are noobs, it's that they run off and leave it undefended. If they can't hold it, then don't go and cap it.

But if they stay and die, then at least they are trying. Running off isn't trying.

I don't believe that most hardcore PvPers would take the attitude of "we lost, but at least you tried." Years of experience has told me that.

How about linking to a guide or something to help new pvpers read up and learn how the pvp maps work?

I don't believe that most hardcore PvPers would take the attitude of "we lost, but at least you tried." Years of experience has told me that.

I'm hardcore. While I dislike losing because of noobs, I'd rather lose because they tried, then lose because they didn't.

People only get better with practice, we've all been there and most of us have sucked at the beginning. At least if they learn the right way to play they will have a firm foundation to build on.

If they start of playing the wrong way they will only get worse. It's those people who have the bad attitudes in pvp.

How about linking to a guide or something to help new pvpers read up and learn how the pvp maps work?

There are ones on the forums and other sites. All people have to do is search for a guide. I'm just to tired to do it now. If I think about it tomorrow, I'll see if I can find one.

In the mean time if you find one, feel free to link it;)

Here's a copy and paste from an older forum guide. I did this instead of linking the whole thread because lots of it was about old gear and Comms/dailies etc. This part of the guide is still relevant and a good starting place for newbies

VERSION for Patch 3.0

UPDATED: 12-4-14

Originally created by Lunez

Warzone Guides:

-----------------------------

Civil War Guide

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=452526

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=452640

http://almarsguides.com/swtor/pvp/warzones/civilwar.cfm

Huttball Guide

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=54647

http://almarsguides.com/swtor/pvp/warzones/huttball.cfm

Voidstar Guide

http://almarsguides.com/swtor/pvp/warzones/voidstar.cfm

Ancient Hypergate Guide

Novare Coast Guide

Want your guide to be displayed here? Let me know down below.

Warzone Objective Tips:

a. Voidstar Guide

b. Huttball Guide

c. Ancient Hypergate Guide

d. Civil War Guide

e. Novare Coast Guide

For those looking to become better PvP players, a few suggestions.. (Disclaimer: Written for the casual pvp player at a general level, exceptions may apply under certain circumstances, such as high level ranked play).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Cap and Defend Warzones (Written by Killadeuce, main post can be found here)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Be aware of the number of enemies you are fighting

6 teammates fighting 1-2 enemies on an objective. Leaves 5-6 enemies heading to your other objective.

Don't wait for an incoming call for help. (All to often in unranked WZ, there is no call or it is made to late).

Take a look and locate the other 5-6 enemies yourself.

Be aware of the number of your teammates

If someone does call incoming help (unranked WZ, unlikely but it does happen).

see how many are attacking.

see how many teammates respond.

respond accordingly.

4-5 defenders for 2 attackers. Leaves your other objective to fight a 2v5 or worse.

Capping Objectives

Friendly CC is good for capping.

Damage breaks CC.

Breaking an 8-second mez is letting your team down.

Defending Objectives, part 1

Stay "near / aware" of the objective

Attackers are attacking the objective(not you). There is no need to move far away from it.

Attackers HAVE to go to the objective. Fight them on it instead.

Defending Objectives, part 2

Do not make or let your healer guard an objective

They should be healing the main group.

(of course if you have 4+ healers this is not so much an issue.)

Defending Objectives part, 3

Offense (1 node controlled)

Only "one" defender on the objective for 7v6 advantage.

Defense (2 nodes controlled)

"Two" defenders on each objective minimum

Team should be focused on defending the 2 capped objectives

ONE defender (preferably a stealth class) can attack third uncapped node. Preferred situation if they only have one player defending it.

Defending Objectives, part 4 (RE: CW, NC and HG WZs)

You do not have to be directly on the objective/node to get defense points. You can be 20-30m from it.

Against a "single" stealth attacker, this allows you to wait out their stealth mez and break their capping without using your CC break ability.

They CC you and have to walk those 20-30m (using up time CC'd) before they can start capping.

If anyone has a better more summarized way to explain this please let me know. I also don't know how phase walk works with this. Keep in mind this is intended for general players in Unranked WZs.

A. Voidstar Warzone

Watch the respawn door timer.

(offense) Killing blow as it resets = Full respawn time.

(defense) CDs/stealth to hold out if team is all stuck behind respawn door.

General objective capping (situational)

The first guy to start capping caps the door.

Everyone else there focuses on keeping the enemies away from him. CC's

Capping the "Next" objective

A few attackers rush forward. 1-2

The rest of the team should be CCing and distracting the defenders in the halls leading to the next room.

Defending the two objectives

Watch your mini map. Don't wait for help calls.

If there are no defenders on a door guess what?

They are dead so go to the door.

B. Huttball Warzone

Be aware of the ball.

Know where the ball is at all times

That is where you should be.

If either team is about to score, you need to be in mid for the ball re-spawn.

Know when you have the ball.

Every enemy you kill, spawns back in front of your ball carrier.

CC and kill them slowly.

Passing the ball (offense)

If no one else is, get in front of the ball carrier for passes.

If people are ready for passes, CC/distract enemies on the carrier so they can pass.

Ballcarriers, know where your teammates are at (offense)

Use your minimap to locate them.

Check if someone is on the enemies ramp.

Check to see which catwalk to travel onto (left/right)

Check to see if someone is in the enemy endzone, if so go into the pit.

When and what CC on the ball carrier (defense)

Do Not "mez" the ball carrier. Gives a large chunk of resolve and gives them a free run to the endzone.

Roots, slows, pulls and knockbacks are prefered. (Low resolve CCs)

IF they are low health or about to pass up from the pit stun/mez may be acceptable.

C. Ancient Hypergates Warzone

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you winning?

Check your teams score... if so

Defend ONE pylon and hold middle.

Minimum TWO defenders on the pylon

Do not attack the second pylon and feed the other team points.

Attacking the enemy Pylon

No more then one (preferable) or two STEALTH classes

No earlier then 45 seconds to portal closing

You should not even be on there side of the map before 1 min to portal closing. (Help in mid til then, kill healers)

If there are 2 defenders do not waste your time and feed kill points to the enemy.

Know your Class

Tank classes spec'd DPS

You can taunt regardless of the stance you are in.

So do it and keep it on cool down.

Marauders / Sentinels

Use preditation / transcendence at the start of the battle running in with the team.

Speed boost is a great advantage

DON'T PANIC

- Douglas Adams"

--------------------------

8) Arena Tips

Focus fire: the key to killing a target is putting the most damage on a single target in the shortest amount of time. Fighter plane armaments during WWII were commonly categorized by their one-second burst mass. The amount of mass (projectiles) that a plane could unleash on a target within one second. Likewise, arenas are all about how much damage you can inflict in a short window of time before the healer can heal the target and before the tank can switch guard.

Guard: guarded targets reduce damage by 5% and redirect 50% of the damage to the tank who can mitigate a lot of that damage. Don't attack guarded targets, you are making your life harder. Attack targets who do not have guard. As a tank, swap your guard constantly to protect targets being attacked and stay within guard range.

Crowd Control: A cc'd healer is the same as a dead healer. If you can take a healer out of the game for 8 seconds with a mezz, that gives you 8 seconds to kill a target. Don't break CC!

Pulls/Pushes: A tank can only guard within 15 meters, so a guarded target 20 meters from his tank is not guarded at all and is easy prey for the DPS. Use pushbacks and pulls coupled with CC to extend this range to give you more time to kill a target.

Line of Sight (LOS): When an ememy is casting an attack on you, LOS him so the attack fails. This gives your healer breathing room to heal other damage while also forcing their DPS to get out of position to pressure your team.

Positioning: Try to position yourself in the most favorable situations. These differ with each map and advanced class.

Tatooine Canyon

Orbital Station

Makeb Mesa

Corellia

9) ALL STAR TACTICS: Focus Target, Target of Target

1) Focus Target

Focus target in lets you assign a player window to a friendly player or enemy that is up at all times unless you change your focus target.

a. How to Enable:

To enable focus target, go to preferences -> controls -> enable focus target.

To enable targets target you just have to use the default KeyBind or set a new one. The default is Alt+F. From there you can go into the Interface Editor and adjust the options, including location and size.

There are also keybinds for Focus Modifier, meaning whenever you hold down the modifier and use an ability, it will apply that ability to the Focus target WITHOUT having to unselect your current target. Example: Your up against a Sith double healer team. Put healer “A” as focus target, and start DPSing healer “B”, using the Focus Modifier you can CC or interrupt healer “A” without letting off DPS on healer “B”

b. Uses in PVP:

It depends on your class, your play style and your task in the current WZ. A tank can set his healer so he can react quicker when he is getting smashed, a healer can use it for his pocket tank so he can be more focused on the group. A DPS class might put an enemy healer as Focus so he knows when he is in range and initiate attacks quicker.

2) Target of Target

Target of target lets you….. see who your target is targeting.

a. How to Enable:

You enable this in the Interface Editor. When the blue interface editor window comes up, there will be a check mark box near the middle that should say Disable Secondary Windows (?), Make sure that is Unchecked. You should now see a red box over your Mini-Map (default locations), that is the Targets Target Window. Click on it and you can Enable it and change some other options including size and postion.

There are two keybinds of importance here. There is a Acquire Target of Target and another that is Acquire Target of FOCUS Target. Its pretty straight forward, if I have "A" targeted and he is targeting "B", I can hit the keybind and it will instantly target "B".

b. Uses in PVP:

This allows you and your team to do fulfill the most important function of a DPS class, FOCUS FIRE.

Example 1:

Let’s say you are running Rated War Zones with 8 guildies and are in Void Star: Attacking Side. You appoint someone as the target caller. You all put him as your Focus Target. The target caller would then rush into one side and alert in voice chat that he has a target, you then all hit Acquire Target of FOCUS Target keybind and use an attack ability. That means in less than 1 global cooldown you could essentially kill 1 player depending on crits before their healers even have a chance to heal. The target caller would then alert “New target” and you would rinse and repeat.

Example 2:

Alderran Civil War, If you are going for East and West you could send 3 and 3 (with 2 middle) and have one target caller in each group marked and set as focus. Then you wouldn’t have to wonder which target to attack. It keeps everyone on the same page even when the group is split.

10) CONCLUSION:

Don't get discouraged when you die a bunch of times, because it's expected to die over and over and over again until you've earned the gear, skill, and prestige to become one of the elite. I know, it sounds silly, it might even sound ridiculous, but it’s true. You need to fail before you can succeed. The PvP mechanics in this game are incredibly fair, competitive, and accessible. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. You just need to pave forward, and take the steps necessary to achieve the foundation for a better learning-curve.

Also, just so you know, even we great and terrible PvP warlords fall in battle, there is no shame, there is only determination. Pave forward my young PvP padawan newbs, and you too, shall become PvP-Knights!

If a few evenings play is anything to go by, PVP is mainly people trying their hardest to go for the objectives and cover up for the other 2-3 who cap, go to a guard position and simply AFK, in order to get max CXP for minimum effort.

GSF is the same, Flashpoints the same, uprisings the same, Heriocs the same - why work for your CXP when you can let someone else run around doing all the hard work and cash in at the end, while you watch Netflix or read your e-mails or whatever it is they do.

AFK-ers or also-rans were a problem in the Pierce /4X missions, the DVL event, and now CXP - And despite dozens of innovative solutions suggested on varying forums, it still hasn't been addressed by the studio.

I hope there's a special hell reserved just for them. :rolleyes:

Back on topic, relieving a guard and whispering for them to go have some fun, usually earns you a mvp vote and a nice warm feeling, maybe even someone who'll watch you back next WZ....

Edited by Storm-Cutter