Producer Letter – Galactic Strongholds

EricMusco

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Conquering a planet is done through completion of Conquest Events, which are PvE Missions.

Also, I know this is big news so I am going to be sticking around in the thread answering questions as I can. We probably aren't going to talk too much about the details of each feature yet but I will answer what I can :)

-eric

Are these quests at least going to be in pvp active zones on pvp servers?

To mimic what some of the people said here, I am disappointed that it is being moved - but excited with what you are adding. My buddies and I came back to SWTOR after we saw what was being added. I think you'd probably label the lot of us as 'casuals' - but it was still something to look forward to in the short term.

I'll be interested to see the more information that comes out. Thanks for being upfront!

Hello Eric,

any chance we might see PvP Conquest missions in future as well? Something simple, like killing X players, or killing Y guards...

This!

Or maybe from pushing Imp/Pub bases. I get that making the conquest revolve around PvP alienates a large group of players who just want PvE. But surely there is a way to combine the two? Some quests that are PvE in nature such as "capture this npc outpost by killing the three champion mobs defending it" that will grant points along with PvP natured ones of "kill x amount of players" or "defend this objective from players for x amount of minutes/hrs."

The one thing that I can agree on is that those who wish to have PvP resulting from this need only to flag themselves for it in WPvP. If you're on a PvP server like I am, and where many PvPers reside, then why complain too much? You KNOW there is going to be some good fights to be had. I mean, just look at what happens when someone ganks your lowbie guildmate, or at past events and with this one being weekly (I think) that's even better.

I've always been a big fan of "take your time and get it right the first time".

So take the extra time, take more if you need, but when it goes live make sure it's consistent with the same level of amazing detail and awesomeness you've provided in the past.

I felt like saying: Aww, Bioware, it's Okay, no big deal when I read that letter.

And, thank you for the gifts, you really did not have to, but thank you...

The whiny part of me though keeps saying that I want absolutely nothing of what is coming and is given out and stuff. The only easy for them to make thing I really want are alien companion character customizations. Boy, now I feel ungrateful.

Edited by DomiSotto

I CAN'T UNDERSCORE ENOUGH HOW BAD OF AN IDEA THIS IS.

I've seen this exact same mechanic in action elsewhere. It kills population and leaves a game with a small, elitist group of completely unsavory people. I have never seen the concept do anything other than this. Ryzom is an excellent example with its guild outpost battles. (Or lack thereof - I think they're down to 1 server and 200-500 players.)

Maybe Bioware can make it work. Stranger things have happened. But if those perks and rewards in any way affect gameplay, I feel comfortable wagering a hefty sum that it'll backfire painfully.

I think you need to roll out that feature only on PvP servers. That's clearly a PvP community wish and they're the best community to test it out. I mean, the other servers are already starting to see steady streams of PvPers coming in from their home servers looking for GSF action, and frankly... it's not always been the best thing for the community at large. (I really don't want to get into it any further than that. I don't think I have to.)

I'd strongly recommend reconsidering this particular facet - or, at least, having the PvPers test it out first to see what kind of effect it'll have on a community overall.

I lol'd, you know the conquest for world is PVE related right?, Having this on RP servers or PVE servers is nothing. you want this on pvp servers? i mean every server has RP people, Pve People, PVP people, having them to focus solely on pvp server will piss each and everysingle person on non-PVP server.

and to state the fact that if this was pvp related and you want to see this only on pvp server then why dont u start about complaining that in pve and rp servers about the flaging part where other people can still attack you.

There on every servers RP, PVP and PVE guilds, heck there are even RP PVP PVE Guilds all in one and u want to deny most of the people that fact? im on a pvp and a pve server and both side are happy about the conquest stuff.

and like i said before its PVE related so you prolly wont even be fighting against other players but NPC's. if you still think this is bad, then start complaining about HM and NiM modes where only (supposedly ) the best of the best can get it done and get the best of the best pve gear that's available in the game atm which gets the guild well known and allot of items which arent available in other modes, so having the best of the best guild ranking on top to get bonus and other buff isn't anything new, the same for pvp ranks getting rewards for being the best of the best.

so stop talking about things that dont even make sense.

OT, glad for the delay, means they will take their time, making it better then it would have been at early access previous date. Happy for both stronghold and guild conquest rank, same as GSF and PVP has ranks.

First - I really want to say thank you for the update. It's always better to know about delays sooner rather than later.

Second - Will each character get their own Galactic Stronghold or will one set of residences be shared across the Legacy.

I'm easy either way but I am curious.

I would love to see a Tony Stark style Garage to display 3 - 6 favorite Vehicle mounts

I would love to see a Barn type storage facility to display 3 - 6 favorite Animal mounts.

The more SIMS like, the better.

WTB - Cash or Cartel Coins - Themed Rooms "Jedi Bedroom" vs. "Scoundrel Bedroom" and decoration schemes.

Race themed decorations?!? Twi'leks might have different decorating tastes than Chiss or Sith Pure Bloods.

Will we have/Can we have Jukeboxes?

How many guests can we have in a residence at once? A party of 4? An Operation of 16?

For the love of the Force PLEASE make sure we can get to our Cargo Holds, Guild Banks, the GTN and a Modification Station.

And it'd be nice to be able to get right to our ships without having to travel to the Space Port or the Fleet.

Thanks again

Thank you for the heads up! I'm really looking forward to the Legacy Storage, but I don't mind waiting so that you can do what you need to do for the Strongholds.

From the Producer Letter:

Provide powerful buffs to Guild members from orbit

When I read this, the first thing that came to mind is the ability for those on the guild ship to give class buffs to other guild members who aren't on the guild ship, rather than a unique buff.

I know, information about this is Coming Soon™! Lol. Just my first impression.

A few other things I have seen in the thread...

• Companions in Strongholds - I was able to talk to the Design team about this. Exactly how it will work is still being worked out. I will post about it in the future once things are a bit more locked down!
  • Quick Travel - You can travel to your Stronghold anytime you can use Quick Travel currently. Also, as a subscriber you have a few options on where you can travel to from your Stronghold, including back to the coordinates you just came from.

-eric

Being able to Quick Travel to one's Stronghold will be amazing. Nice!

The transparency is both welcome and refreshing.

I will happily endure a pushback of these much anticipated features given the need to make sure it not only works properly on launch, but also the extras that you are implementing too!

So we have to wait a little longer.....yet we get a more stable and much better package when the time does arrive.

Thanks!

I've seen this exact same mechanic in action elsewhere. It kills population and leaves a game with a small, elitist group of completely unsavory people. I have never seen the concept do anything other than this. Ryzom is an excellent example with its guild outpost battles. (Or lack thereof - I think they're down to 1 server and 200-500 players.)

Can you elaborate on that ? I'm just curious. I have heard of that game, but never played it.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

Hey,

I am wondering about a few points:

• How much the guild flagships will cost? (If they will be purchasable) Or will we need to do a quest for it?

• What will actually be that buff? Expirience or endurance buff?

• I noticed an additonal Harrower class ship while using the interfleet transport. Is it an 'empty guild ship' or have i just missed it with all my travels? :rolleyes:

• Will the guild ships actually be a bigger version of a personal ship with the guild leader selecting destination? Will it require credits to move a guild ship (Like... refuelling a Jumbo Jet costs a bit...) and if yes then how much?

Hope to get an official answer on these questions,

Skullwalker :jawa_biggrin:

Edited by theskullwalker

I can honestly say that with hardcore PVP being such a minority in this game, I'm okay with the Conquering system being limited to PVE-based objectives.

That said, if they want to throw in some 'alternatives' to the PVE Weekly quests, then that's okay, too. Maybe have them grind 50 Random Warzones or whatever.

First of all, thank you! Especially for considering those of us who have already made sure to subscribe by the original date. All in all, I respect the transparency and level of player feedback you guys utilize. I'm more excited than ever, with all of these new developments. Much like others here, I'll sacrifice a bit of patience for content with substance.

I'll try not to repeat much but I will echo the desire for jukeboxes, because awesome! As well as room/housing themes. (It would be cool to see room-by-room themes but even whole house/overall customization on launch would be great.) The same would be awesome for guild ships, at the very least if it will be possible to customize like starfighter ships (paint jobs, thruster and gun colors). I guess for me, customization is key, especially if these houses are going to cost millions of credits. There's nothing worse than spending that kind of money on something that pretty much just sits there. (Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to be getting these things at all, that's just a player preference I thought I'd throw out there.)

And I totally get that more races and classes aren't really a focus right now, but since I have the chance I'll bring up some that we've been floating around in-game. Togruta, mainly. I can see a lot of potential for customization there; aside from the patterns and colors, it would be sweet to have montral/horn variants (as opposed to hair). In that vein, Nautolans would be interesting to see for similar reasons (tendril options that resemble hairstyles, more alien-esque eye shapes). Devaronians would be cool too, though mostly from an RP standpoint since they're so close to Sith Purebloods as far as coloration and such goes. There's always a few people who would like to play jawa/ewok, but even a new class would be amazing, and I know there are numerous threads on potential for that avenue. And then there was that one time someone said they wanted to play a Hutt and I had to ask how movement would even be possible, but I digress.

Thank you again, for all of the time and effort you're clearly putting into the next round of content. I'm sure we won't be disappointed, ultimately.

Fiaryn

This!

Or maybe from pushing Imp/Pub bases. I get that making the conquest revolve around PvP alienates a large group of players who just want PvE. But surely there is a way to combine the two? Some quests that are PvE in nature such as "capture this npc outpost by killing the three champion mobs defending it" that will grant points along with PvP natured ones of "kill x amount of players" or "defend this objective from players for x amount of minutes/hrs."

The one thing that I can agree on is that those who wish to have PvP resulting from this need only to flag themselves for it in WPvP. If you're on a PvP server like I am, and where many PvPers reside, then why complain too much? You KNOW there is going to be some good fights to be had. I mean, just look at what happens when someone ganks your lowbie guildmate, or at past events and with this one being weekly (I think) that's even better.

Thank you for agreeing with me. I (and others) think that this thing BEGS to have a PvP component. Nobody is asking for PvP-only thing (except maybe PvPers), but there should be some sort of thing that would allow it. It will happen on PvP servers anyway, but there will be nothing to gain through it, so why not add some sort of mission to it, when it is going to happen?

Thank you for agreeing with me. I (and others) think that this thing BEGS to have a PvP component. Nobody is asking for PvP-only thing (except maybe PvPers), but there should be some sort of thing that would allow it. It will happen on PvP servers anyway, but there will be nothing to gain through it, so why not add some sort of mission to it, when it is going to happen?

As long as the PVP component doesn't interfere with the PVE side of things, sure.

Oh, and it doesn't lead to farming kills with your friends on opposing-side alts. :rolleyes:

I applaud the SWTOR team for making this hard decision. I am not at all upset. Sure, it would have been nice to see the next expansion in June, but after reading the things that are intended to be in the new expansion, I don't mind waiting.

I am looking forward to Galactic Strongholds. Keep up the good work!

As long as the PVP component doesn't interfere with the PVE side of things, sure.

Oh, and it doesn't lead to farming kills with your friends on opposing-side alts. :rolleyes:

Yes, if anything open world PVP is to be done, it should be carefully thought out and executed.

If you are on PvP server, PvP will "interfere" with PvE side no matter what. So why not place some sort of rewards on that, if it is going to happen anyway. And as I mentioned, things like planetary conquest are practically begging to have PvP component. Not that it needs to be a major part of it (as this game is PvE oriented), but it should be there.

I agree it has to be well thought through, but no matter what, some people will find way around it anyway.

If you are on PvP server, PvP will "interfere" with PvE side no matter what. So why not place some sort of rewards on that, if it is going to happen anyway. And as I mentioned, things like planetary conquest are practically begging to have PvP component. Not that it needs to be a major part of it (as this game is PvE oriented), but it should be there.

I agree it has to be well thought through, but no matter what, some people will find way around it anyway.

I believe some of them are referring to pvp interfering with PVE on a PVE server such as there has been a bug around where you can be flagged when you have no intention of PVP'ing. That is my understanding of what they mean by interfering with PVE. On a pvp server it is a given that pvp will always interfere but it shouldn't interfere on a pvp server.

So why not place some sort of rewards on that, if it is going to happen anyway.

I can't help but point out this terrible logic.

There are murderers in this world.

But we might as well reward them for it, if it's going to happen anyways. :tran_eek:

One of a thousand examples I could give for that logic being 100% awful. :D

Just stop.

I can't help but point out this terrible logic.

There are murderers in this world.

But we might as well reward them for it, if it's going to happen anyways. :tran_eek:

One of a thousand examples I could give for that logic being 100% awful. :D

That might be the worst analogy I've ever heard. PVPers are murderers now. K.

Edited by JediMasterSLC

In the email sent out yesterday, there is the line:

Conquest Events: use the power of your Stronghold to dominate these events and earn rewards.

You've always refered to player housing as a Stronghold and Guild housing as a Flagship. Can I read this to be that we will use our personal Stronghold somehow to compete in these events? Or, should it have been Flagship and not Stronghold?

Edited by Arthuriuan
spelling