Powertech Tanking, A Beginners Guide.

Elicas

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something like 140% of russia citizen went to vote for their elections.

Ah, didn't know that. We only really got a report about Putin being re-elected and there was some protests. We don't really care about much of the rest of the world to be honest :p

Thanks for the warm words all :)

Quick question about tanking in early Flashpoints:

How would you pull a larger, mixed group of mobs with 2 elites in them? Ranged and melee mobs. No LoS pulling.

Is DFA a good idea when it hits both golden targets? Or do you use explosive dart on one and unload on the second? Something completely different? Do you run in and Flame Burst the golden ones?

Pulling big groups is a nightmare for me up to now, and I am not new to tanking in MMOs. I really miss something to grab initial aggro on all mobs so the healer doesn't yell at me (well, he's me brother in law so he won't, but still...).

Thanks for any help.

Quick question about tanking in early Flashpoints:

How would you pull a larger, mixed group of mobs with 2 elites in them? Ranged and melee mobs. No LoS pulling.

Is DFA a good idea when it hits both golden targets? Or do you use explosive dart on one and unload on the second? Something completely different? Do you run in and Flame Burst the golden ones?

Pulling big groups is a nightmare for me up to now, and I am not new to tanking in MMOs. I really miss something to grab initial aggro on all mobs so the healer doesn't yell at me (well, he's me brother in law so he won't, but still...).

Thanks for any help.

I would use DFA, then flamethrower as the melee mobs reached me, I would then focus an Unload on one with FB on the other, before alternating between the two and maintaining my flamethrower CD as i had the chance.

Honestly, in the situation, it's usually good to say to the group "i'll focus on the elites that hit hard, DPS down the non elite's and I'm not even going to try to aggro those".

In most instances, it's only the Elite and Champion mobs that need a real tank on them, your melee dps can tank the silver/standard enemies just fine while you deal with the big stuff.

Nice guide, but personally I feel that the BH needs to look at tanking a bit different than any of the other tankable classes in this game (mentioning because you only had RS as a ranged attack in your main rotations which will fail for ranged tanking). This is because they have the incredibly cool ability to be a ranged tank.

Ranged tanking is extreemly fun to play but requires you make the most out of ranged abilities meaning that you will need to effictively take aggro by having a higher ranged damage than others with the help of taunts and perhaps being a regen tank rather than a mitigation tank.

Take a look at Kolto Vents and the synergies with vent heat abilities to get an idea of how that could work.

I just have a sneaking feeling that ranged tanking will be so vital at the end game and only this class can do it so we better figure out how that will best work.

Ofc I am just theory crafting now but I fancy testing a build like the following to be a powerful dps ranged tank with good survivability. Excelling at drawing ranged fire and staying alive while the melee tanks are tanking the big hits from the main boss.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301G00MZrsrMobcozZbIbb.1

keep up the good work.

/Shock

Edited by ShockDevil

Posting in this thread since the guide is great, but lacks information that I have yet to find anywhere.

The stat "power" exists on alot of aim/endurance gear. People claim power boosts melee dmg, this I understand. But do we benefit from power for any closerange abilities or is it aim only? If it is, what does power do for PT tanks?

Appriciate any input.

Nice guide, but personally I feel that the BH needs to look at tanking a bit different than any of the other tankable classes in this game (mentioning because you only had RS as a ranged attack in your main rotations which will fail for ranged tanking). This is because they have the incredibly cool ability to be a ranged tank.

Ranged tanking is extreemly fun to play but requires you make the most out of ranged abilities meaning that you will need to effictively take aggro by having a higher ranged damage than others with the help of taunts and perhaps being a regen tank rather than a mitigation tank.

Take a look at Kolto Vents and the synergies with vent heat abilities to get an idea of how that could work.

I just have a sneaking feeling that ranged tanking will be so vital at the end game and only this class can do it so we better figure out how that will best work.

Ofc I am just theory crafting now but I fancy testing a build like the following to be a powerful dps ranged tank with good survivability. Excelling at drawing ranged fire and staying alive while the melee tanks are tanking the big hits from the main boss.

keep up the good work.

/Shock

You're going to ranged tank with a 4m ability (Retractable Blade) while using Combustible Gas Cylinder? *scratches head*

keep up the good work.

/Shock

From the raid bosses tested, and all of the flashpoints on heroic/nightmare, there is not a single situation where you want a tank at ranged instead of melee.

Posting in this thread since the guide is great, but lacks information that I have yet to find anywhere.

The stat "power" exists on alot of aim/endurance gear. People claim power boosts melee dmg, this I understand. But do we benefit from power for any closerange abilities or is it aim only? If it is, what does power do for PT tanks?

Appriciate any input.

Power affects our ranged damage and tech damage, it's effect is negligible as you need alot of it to get a decent bonus, and it comes on our gear anyway.

+power is +threat, just in very small amounts.

From the raid bosses tested, and all of the flashpoints on heroic/nightmare, there is not a single situation where you want a tank at ranged instead of melee.

Power affects our ranged damage and tech damage, it's effect is negligible as you need alot of it to get a decent bonus, and it comes on our gear anyway.

+power is +threat, just in very small amounts.

Thank you! Atleast I know it isn't a total waste, just not something to hunt down in terms of stat.

Thank you! Atleast I know it isn't a total waste, just not something to hunt down in terms of stat.

Indeed, it's not a bad stat, just not one to take over any other defensive stat. Aim gives us a better bonus too by the way.

And you're welcome!

You're going to ranged tank with a 4m ability (Retractable Blade) while using Combustible Gas Cylinder? *scratches head*

That is a wierd comment, just because I need to take that ability to get up the tree doesn't mean I will have it as a main attack.

And at OPs respone while there may not be any main boss that is better tanked at range which is doubtful there are likely to be extra mobs or turrets that will definatley be better of tanked at range. I remember seeing a video of the first operation that had two towers being tanked by BHs from range.

I'm not disagreeing that STech is the way to go for being a main tank but, i'm looking for SWTOR to give me something different that the tired old tank and get spanked role. On the surface it looks promising but in practice it may not.

Edited by ShockDevil

That is a wierd comment, just because I need to take that ability to get up the tree doesn't mean I will have it as a main attack.

And at OPs respone while there may not be any main boss that is better tanked at range which is doubtful there are likely to be extra mobs or turrets that will definatley be better of tanked at range. I remember seeing a video of the first operation that had two towers being tanked by BHs from range.

I'm not disagreeing that STech is the way to go for being a main tank but, i'm looking for SWTOR to give me something different that the tired old tank and get spanked role. On the surface it looks promising but in practice it may not.

As someone who has played EV, you do not tank the turrets at range. They're tanked at melee, the targetting radius is simply so large on some of the bigger things it gives the effect of being tanked at range.

Similar to dragons and giants in fantasy MMO's.

As someone who has played EV, you do not tank the turrets at range. They're tanked at melee, the targetting radius is simply so large on some of the bigger things it gives the effect of being tanked at range.

Similar to dragons and giants in fantasy MMO's.

That is dissapointing, but I hope there will be a more dynamic tanking style that can be used. I like the look of some of the abilities like guard that use friendly targeted shields so I still have hope for something entertaining. Else there is always full dps mode.

Any idea if you can still dodge/shield/etc while channeling Flame Thrower or Unload?

Yes, you can.

That is dissapointing, but I hope there will be a more dynamic tanking style that can be used. I like the look of some of the abilities like guard that use friendly targeted shields so I still have hope for something entertaining. Else there is always full dps mode.

Full DPS would be recommended for you mate, the first few bosses in the raids are pretty easy, but it's standard MMO fare. If you not min/maxing your tank, you're going to get absolutely destroyed.

There might be a single fight or two per raid tier that can use a non-usual tank set up, but the rule will be 31/X/X for 95% of the content when tanking.

Sorry to burst your bubble man :(

Edited by Elicas

Nice guide, I really like it but got one question: Why would you use Flame Thrower in aoe rotation instead of Flame Sweep which get boosted from talents?

Flamethrower simply hit's harder. I use it whenever it's off of CD.

Well if you are lucky and dont get pushbacks.

It's not been noticeable for me to cause comment on it to be honest. Though while i'm in the middle of tanking, it's not something I've ever particularly tried to keep track of.