Fairest method of distributing highlighted HM loot

Considering that each boss will drop 1x224, 1x220 and 1xDMC unless its EC there will be more tokens than people. When pugging these I saw some drama and disagreements about what is fair, so I wonder what everybody is doing. Edited by Arunas

So far I have only pugged 2 EV hms when it was priority the rest I ran with guild/friends.

First pug's rules were-1 224 piece per person including mh/relic, and free for all with the 220's.

Second one was similar with one small difference that everyone rolled on the mh in the end, but if someone wins it who already won a 224 piece beforehand, that player has to give up one of those 224 pieces to someone who up until that point has won only 220.

With guilds/friends its usually whoever needs it the most, with dps having priority for mh/relic,

For PuG groups, the loot rule I found most fair so far is as follows:

• The raidleader collects all the loot, this includes the unassembled 220/224 gear pieces, the purple and blue mats and the decorations plus any vanity items like pets and speeders if applicable. MK-2 pieces can be given out randomly if no one needs the enhancements or also collected.
  • After the final boss, every player rolls once, then going from highest to lowest, every player can select one item from the list - either a 224 piece, or if all are gone, a 220 piece or Dark Matter Catalyst or whatever he wants. I usually group all blue materials (Exotic Isotope Stabilizers) as one item.
  • Once every player has selected one item, this time I go from lowest to highest. This means that the player who rolled the lowest can select two gear pieces at once - and getting two 220 pieces instead of one 224 piece is still fair in my opinion. By the time the highest player can select again, there'll only be Dark Matter Catalysts left but that is fair because he had the chance to get the best 224 piece.

And you can repeat this until all the loot is given out. Usually, I handle decorations and vanity items separately from the gear, so I do another roll for those. I may also group some Dark Matter Catalysts with the decorations so that there are like 16 gear pieces and 8 vanity pieces and no one leaves the raid empty-handed. Decorations and materials can both be sold on the GTN for credits so there isn't much of a difference between a Dark Matter Calalyst and a rare decoration.

Taking this week's S&V as an example, this is how the loot could be distributed (with 7 224 pieces, 7 220 pieces, 7 Catalysts and 7 Exotic Stabilizers):

(1 is the player who rolled the highest, 8 is the players who rolled the lowest)

1: Unassembled 224 Mainhand

2: Unassembled 224 Chest

3: Unassembled 224 Legs

4: Unassembled 224 Gloves

5: Unassembled 224 Bracers

6: Unassembled 220 Chest

7: Unassembled 224 Relic

8: Unassembled 224 Implant

8: Unassembled 220 Legs

7: Unassembled 220 Mainhand

6: Unassembled 220 Gloves

5: Unassembled 220 Implant

4: Unassembled 220 Bracers

3: Dark Matter Catalyst

2: Dark Matter Catalyst

1: Dark Matter Catalyst

4: Unassembled 220 Relic

5: Dark Matter Catalyst

6: 3x Exotic Isotope Stabilizer

7: 2x Exotic Isotope Stabilizer

8: 2x Exotic Isotope Stabilizer

Obviously, this only works if you trust the raidleader but my guild has a very good reputation and people trust that there are no ninja looters in my guild. So always make sure you trust the raidleader if he wants to collect the loot and distribute it after the final boss.

IMO, this is the best way to distribute loot in HM operations right now because it is the fastest system (provided everyone is in voice chat) and because players can decide what they want. I've also seen raidleaders roll each item individually, and then there usually is a bad raidleader who rolls the implant first which is silly because the rarest items should be rolled first.

Under the rule I posted above, players can pass on non-Legacy-transferable items like implants and relics if they already have them. So if you already have all implants, just pick a Catalyst instead of an implant and a player further down the list he still can use an implant can take it instead of a Catalyst.

Of course, all of this applies to random groups only. In any fixed raiding group, you'd want to use more dedicated loot rules that take in account previous raids as well, because someone who only got meager loot in one raid should get the best loot in the following raid - that's why my raid group uses Loot Council.

Edited by Jerba

• Once every player has selected one item, this time I go from lowest to highest. This means that the player who rolled the lowest can select two gear pieces at once - and getting two 220 pieces instead of one 224 piece is still fair in my opinion. By the time the highest player can select again, there'll only be Dark Matter Catalysts left but that is fair because he had the chance to get the best 224 piece.

That is a great point. I've usually done that but I forgot to reverse the order half an hour ago. Imagine my surprise when someone in the raid group felt neglected to their core about it. Our group consisting of six players from semi-casual-progression guild (my toons are there on repside) and two guests. It was supposedly a guild rule but I had not been indoctrinated to the delicacies of their ways regarding this. So, instead of reasoning or making his case, he just left (was in a hurry anyway) and returned with super negative attitude about "never coming again." I screwed up, he screwed up and thus...

...my suggesion to everyone is, instead of enraging about how loot is being distributed at that moment, try to reason with people with actual arguments, explain your stance and remind them if they are forgetful like me. Try to do that before the sith hits the fan when you are enraging about how everything went wrong. It might just work. Oh well, I suppose going all mental about something is fun. I sure as hell love it so no bad feelings there. Just wanted to suggest alternative way of dealing with whatever happens when loot is the issue. :D

Edited by Ruskaeth

For PuG groups, the loot rule I found most fair so far is as follows:

• The raidleader collects all the loot, this includes the unassembled 220/224 gear pieces, the purple and blue mats and the decorations plus any vanity items like pets and speeders if applicable. MK-2 pieces can be given out randomly if no one needs the enhancements or also collected.
  • After the final boss, every player rolls once, then going from highest to lowest, every player can select one item from the list - either a 224 piece, or if all are gone, a 220 piece or Dark Matter Catalyst or whatever he wants. I usually group all blue materials (Exotic Isotope Stabilizers) as one item.

And you can repeat this until all the loot is given out. Usually, I handle decorations and vanity items separately from the gear, so I do another roll for those. I may also group some Dark Matter Catalysts with the decorations so that there are like 16 gear pieces and 8 vanity pieces and no one leaves the raid empty-handed. Decorations and materials can both be sold on the GTN for credits so there isn't much of a difference between a Dark Matter Calalyst and a rare decoration.

Taking this week's S&V as an example, this is how the loot could be distributed (with 7 224 pieces, 7 220 pieces, 7 Catalysts and 7 Exotic Stabilizers):

(1 is the player who rolled the highest, 8 is the players who rolled the lowest)

1: Unassembled 224 Mainhand

2: Unassembled 224 Chest

3: Unassembled 224 Legs

4: Unassembled 224 Gloves

5: Unassembled 224 Bracers

6: Unassembled 220 Chest

7: Unassembled 224 Relic

8: Unassembled 224 Implant

8: Unassembled 220 Legs

7: Unassembled 220 Mainhand

6: Unassembled 220 Gloves

5: Unassembled 220 Implant

4: Unassembled 220 Bracers

4: Unassembled 220 Relic

5: Dark Matter Catalyst

6: 3x Exotic Isotope Stabilizer

7: 2x Exotic Isotope Stabilizer

8: 2x Exotic Isotope Stabilizer

Obviously, this only works if you trust the raidleader but my guild has a very good reputation and people trust that there are no ninja looters in my guild. So always make sure you trust the raidleader if he wants to collect the loot and distribute it after the final boss.

IMO, this is the best way to distribute loot in HM operations right now because it is the fastest system (provided everyone is in voice chat) and because players can decide what they want. I've also seen raidleaders roll each item individually, and then there usually is a bad raidleader who rolls the implant first which is silly because the rarest items should be rolled first.

Under the rule I posted above, players can pass on non-Legacy-transferable items like implants and relics if they already have them. So if you already have all implants, just pick a Catalyst instead of an implant and a player further down the list he still can use an implant can take it instead of a Catalyst.

Of course, all of this applies to random groups only. In any fixed raiding group, you'd want to use more dedicated loot rules that take in account previous raids as well, because someone who only got meager loot in one raid should get the best loot in the following raid - that's why my raid group uses Loot Council.

I had my suspicions before but it is now confirmed, you are star orchid.

The way I do loot when I pug is as follows

Dark matter: 1 each

220: 1 each

224: 1 each.

Now potentially in a 5 boss operation 1 to 3 people may walk out with nothing at all. Though the chance of that is very slim the probability of 5-7 people winning 1 of everything is nearly never going to happen, but even if it does, the pugs knew these were the rules going in, it's equal opertunity. You have a equal chance as everyone else to walk away with 1 224 1 220 and 1 dark matter, or nothing at all. I believe it is fair.

As for blue mats decorations and the random pieces, I usually just let people roll their hearts out if they need those.

Edited by GhOsTPrOz

Fair is ALL rolling and the loot is randomized...........

Other then that I would say OPS leader giving according to class AND gear Level to the ops members.

If you have a full 220 set, you really don't need another 220 item so another class needing it gets it.....

But I mean the random rolls even when I loose them ALL is the most fair

That is a great point. I've usually done that but I forgot to reverse the order half an hour ago. Imagine my surprise when someone in the raid group felt neglected to their core about it. Our group consisting of six players from semi-casual-progression guild (my toons are there on repside) and two guests. It was supposedly a guild rule but I had not been indoctrinated to the delicacies of their ways regarding this. So, instead of reasoning or making his case, he just left (was in a hurry anyway) and returned with super negative attitude about "never coming again." I screwed up, he screwed up and thus...

...my suggesion to everyone is, instead of enraging about how loot is being distributed at that moment, try to reason with people with actual arguments, explain your stance and remind them if they are forgetful like me. Try to do that before the sith hits the fan when you are enraging about how everything went wrong. It might just work. Oh well, I suppose going all mental about something is fun. I sure as hell love it so no bad feelings there. Just wanted to suggest alternative way of dealing with whatever happens when loot is the issue. :D

Sadly, there will always be players like that. Even with the best loot system, some wil get more loot than others. When rolling, fortunately the blame for why someone didn't get good loot lies on the RNG and not on you as a raidleader.

I found that the only way to minimize loot greed is by taking along players who don't care so much about loot. The current overabundance of gear helps since players can get loot from plenty bosses. But it also helps to keep a good, cheerful atmosphere during the raid and that comes purely down to the raidleader. Make sure to have a fast run without too many wipes (e.g. by using proper tactics or by quickly recovering from a wipe and making adjustments), and by arranging groups during the trash pulls. Nothing is worse than stopping in front of the boss and waiting for the raidleader to tell who goes left and who goes right - ideally, you'll already have done this by the time you arrive at the boss.

I've also had loot drama happen. Either I explained the loot rules wrong or players didn't understand them correctly. Make sure to explain the loot rules before the first trash pull because nothing is worse than changing loot rules after everyone has /rolled. I've also experienced that and it puts you in a terrible spot as a raidleader.

Just accept that you will make mistakes and move on. Part of being a raidleader means having a strong personality. Don't be put down by players complaining about loot, in the end you are the one who organized the raid and handles the loot. I've long since stopped caring if players put me on ignore, there are just some very idiotic players, and as long as I'm only put on ignore for being too helpful and not for being a troll, I have more serious things to worry about than loot distribution.

Edited by Jerba

I am fine of course and my reaction to any loot drama is usually exponentially harsher and closer to a nuclear explosion than what the few seconds before happened flutter of a butterfly's wings could be described as. My tolerance is zero to any kind of temper tantrums about loot, even if the blame was mine because of all the wool filling my head. Now that I think about it, I am pretty sure the guy had no idea I was not aware of their loot system, as it were. Edited by Ruskaeth