Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Rest XP Bug: Resting outside Cantinas & Resting While Logged in, In Cantinas

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Rest XP Bug: Resting outside Cantinas & Resting While Logged in, In Cantinas

Lauski
01.11.2012 , 08:43 AM | #1
EDIT: This may look like a cross-post since I'm going to repost, however this thread has changed much since I originally wrote it, and a CSR Rep moved it over to general chat. (So the "Bug" in title is not appropriate) I am going to copy my thread, and repost with a catchier (more controversial ) title to get community feedback.

TL;DR:
=================

You should NOT RECEIVE ANY rest xp:
  • If logged off, outside a Cantina. [Your char is unsafe]
  • While logged on, inside a Cantina. [You are not resting, you're logged in]

You SHOULD RECEIVE rest xp:
  • If logged off, inside a Cantina. [Your char is safe in a Rest Zone]

=================

This is the real reason I think why some people think the leveling speed is too fast, and others don't. If you are a casual player and don't log in that much like me, this extra XP generated by the rest system in essence, is the game "playing itself for you", depriving you of the questing/adventuring/flashpoint/heroics fun!

I'd like the ability to play through just as much content as someone who plays several hours every day. Keep in MIND... my suggestion still allows people who like leveling tons of alts simultaneously, QUICKLY... to do so. They keep them logged off in Cantinas... No change to the system as is.

I intentionally log off outside Rest Areas as a means to reduce XP I make. My changes give the players the option to play the game HOW THEY WANT. Plus, I wasn't sure anyway if maybe this was a bug.

Even if this isn't the -EXACT- model other MMO's follow, you have to remember that SWTOR is quite different than other MMOs. There's no such thing as grinding tons of MOBs. SWTOR has been carefully designed from the ground up to already have more than enough fun things to do, and for us to achieve L50 quite easily.

Rest XP continually causes players to have to skip content, or otherwise be over-leveled from what I think quest designers originally intended to be AT-Level play. It should still exist for those who want to use it, but be optional for those who don't.

MilesTeg_cy
01.11.2012 , 09:06 AM | #2
The rest system in MMORPGs are not intended for the characters you are playing but the person who is actually playing the game. Especially the young players don't know when to stop while playing and there may even be deaths. In order to keep the players off the computers, the system reduces the xp gain if the login time is so long. The system encourages the players to "rest" and gain more xp when they come back, at least for a short time.

Lauski
01.11.2012 , 09:39 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by MilesTeg_cy View Post
The rest system in MMORPGs are not intended for the characters you are playing but the person who is actually playing the game. Especially the young players don't know when to stop while playing and there may even be deaths. In order to keep the players off the computers, the system reduces the xp gain if the login time is so long. The system encourages the players to "rest" and gain more xp when they come back, at least for a short time.
All true. All correct. So, do you agree with me or not?

I believe in:
  • Rest XP only gained while LOGGED OFF in a Cantina/Rest area.

TiggaHarley
01.11.2012 , 09:43 AM | #4
You will gain rested xp no matter where you log out. But if you logout in a Cantina/Fleet/your ship then you gain rested xp at its full rate.

WoW was the same way.

Lauski
01.11.2012 , 10:00 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by TiggaHarley View Post
You will gain rested xp no matter where you log out. But if you logout in a Cantina/Fleet/your ship then you gain rested xp at its full rate.

WoW was the same way.

Good to know about WoW, and that's where I guess I'm asking SWTOR Customer Support, if this is the intention of the system.

-Doesn't seem restful to log off in a hot zone.
-Doesn't seem restful to log off dead.
-Doesn't seem to provide the actual incentive of taking a break, to give people rest XP accumulation WHILE you are logged in @ the Imperial Fleet or Republic equivalent.

Lauski
01.11.2012 , 01:06 PM | #6
Top post refreshed for further clarity.

^

Lauski
01.11.2012 , 01:20 PM | #7
^ (10 char)