"Experience intense 12v12 free flight dogfighting"

Rileysoph

I'm the guy in the strike fighter with 4 kills per match because I'm spending the whole match hugging the nodes, breaking LoS on missile locks and chasing off attackers. In fact, I favor Ion cannons just to knock down shields in the short time that I have to set up kills for friendlies.

I do not harbor any resentment to the gunships that killed 3-5 times as many as I did because I did my job and He did his. Winning domination isn't just about getting kills, Dog fights in this game aren't just about shooting people down.

If we all insist that everyone walks away with the same number of kills then what we'll have is a homogenization of roles.

I usually get zero to a couple kills in the strike fighter or scout. My job is to protect the node in my strike fighter, hunt down gunships and turrents in my scout. In my gunship, it's all about sniping turrets and other players move when targetted and relocate to another postion. Long as I am keeping the enemy on the defense and paranoid that I am out there they lose focus and come looking for me. When the bombers get introduced in February, it will bring a whole new tactic to use and defend against.

The problem I currently see with the maps are people get focused on trying to get those kill for the score board and thats not what domination is about. I've seen games where the enemy doesn't get a single kill and few assists but win because they played the map and defended or attacked nodes and held them while there opponents got dragged off to get that last shot in. Thats unfortunately that is the mentallity of your large amount of players when it comes to objective based pvp. Play the role you select and play the map and you will win, doing anything else no matter how good you are will not carry a team to victory.

Its really not that hard to rack up kills in a gunship.

It's also not that hard to kill gunships, or at least damage them enough to stop them from chaining kills. Now, I don't play on a pvp server (Jedi Covenant), but I don't think I've ever seen a gunship with that many kills. I also hate them with a passion, and will mercilessly hunt down anyone who uses one ;)

It's also not that hard to kill gunships, or at least damage them enough to stop them from chaining kills. Now, I don't play on a pvp server (Jedi Covenant), but I don't think I've ever seen a gunship with that many kills. I also hate them with a passion, and will mercilessly hunt down anyone who uses one

^^THIS, oh boy, this.

I don't think it's really fair to be pushing so hard for a nerf on the gunships...yes, the one-shot kills make me just as mental as anyone, but once you start figuring out how to hunt them, the poor things really suck...they can't maneuver, they're slow, and their close-in weapons are like pea-shooters. And having played one a few times, while you're sniping you are the DEFINITION of a sitting duck.

Oh, and let's not forget the GIANT GLOWING CLOUD they produce when they're charging up to snipe, which is essentially a "Hey, come over here and kill me!" sign...

Edited by willfarlow

I'm the guy in the strike fighter with 4 kills per match because I'm spending the whole match hugging the nodes, breaking LoS on missile locks and chasing off attackers. In fact, I favor Ion cannons just to knock down shields in the short time that I have to set up kills for friendlies.

I do not harbor any resentment to the gunships that killed 3-5 times as many as I did because I did my job and He did his. Winning domination isn't just about getting kills, Dog fights in this game aren't just about shooting people down.

If we all insist that everyone walks away with the same number of kills then what we'll have is a homogenization of roles.

Sadly, for most matches, there are only a handful of people like you and far too many of the original poster.

Oh, and let's not forget the GIANT GLOWING CLOUD they produce when they're charging up to snipe, which is essentially a "Hey, come over here and kill me!" sign...

It entertains me greatly sneaking up on one in my striker and waiting for that glowing cloud to start getting real bright. Rip away their shields in about a second with ions and proceed to shred their hull all while they've got sniper tunnel vision going. My favorite result of this is when they fire their railgun, don't notice their hull is below 25% and begin charging railguns again only to suddenly explode.

Perhaps the only thing better than hunting them down the first time is when they come back to exact revenge only to be killed by you again.

Its really not that hard to rack up kills in a gunship.

it's also not too ahrd to shut down gunships eaither. I know I've made gunship hunting one of my perfered activites. keep smart about it and it's a valueable role. even if all you do is force them to rabbit, they're no liogner for a breif time able to rain down fire.

The gunship is the equivalent of a smash monkey

Only people who have never played one will say that. If you let a Gunship get a shot off on you, then you deserve to die. Gunships are VERY easily shut down. On my server, im pretty well known for my gunship, as i can easily rack up kills, objectives and keep 2-3 scouts off me the entire match. However, if they get the jump on me, ( they should), then im a sitting duck.

Just to note, too many scouts and strikers have tunnel vision and fail to play properly. As an example, when im sitting in my GS, i always use the free roam camera to get a bearing on whats around me, as, like i said, scouts normally come right for me when they see im in a match. It's all about skill and awareness. Thats something the vast majority of short range fighters just do not have. They are focused on dogfighting and racking up kills, then when they are stopped, they come here and cry.

Only people who have never played one will say that. If you let a Gunship get a shot off on you, then you deserve to die. Gunships are VERY easily shut down. On my server, im pretty well known for my gunship, as i can easily rack up kills, objectives and keep 2-3 scouts off me the entire match. However, if they get the jump on me, ( they should), then im a sitting duck.

if I remember correctly all the arguments for why Rage spec isn't OP is based around "its so easy to shut down." And you should play a scout where if anything so much as gets a glancing hit you lose your entire shield arc and the next glancing hit takes out your hull.

If you think gunships are as hard to play as the other ships then you need to play something other than a gunship. Really like try dogfighting where you have to draw a lead on a moving target while maneuvering yourself at upwards of 1 km/s

The thing about gunships is that they don't take the nodes. That task is up to the scouts and strike fighters to handle effectively. Gunships can get their kills, but they don't win the game. The people guarding and taking nodes do.

I cannot tell you how many times I have had to rush in to an objective because the scouts and strike fighters are chasing one random guy because he has 10% health left. It's like blood in the water and they lose sight of the objective.

Gunships should be laying out the cover fire for incoming traffic. If I gather 200 objective points in a match on my GS, it's generally because the other roles have failed to do what they are supposed to be doing, with few exceptions.

The thing about gunships is that they don't take the nodes. That task is up to the scouts and strike fighters to handle effectively. Gunships can get their kills, but they don't win the game. The people guarding and taking nodes do.

That is true, it's up to the other two class ships to take the nodes, but more then once I have cleared out the turrets and the defending ships and then strolled in captured the node and flew out to pick a safe spot to defend until one of them has come to defend. People need to learn the roles of each ship and play them to their maximine effect. These two maps are not about who gets the most kills, but who captured and defends the objectives best. More then once I have seen matchs where the opponents just get destroyed with few assists or kills yet win because they played the map correctly and focused on capturing and defending what they took.

That in a essence is the current issue with space pvp in that people think that they need to chase that guy away from the satellite and finish them off, all the while leaving the node open for a quick one-two punch. Yes there are achievements for getting assist, kills, node guarding etc. but the point of these two early maps is to capture and defend until 1000 points or the timer runs out. I know on my server, its almost 50/50 on the win loss ratio between the Empire and Republic.

Starfighter is fun. It can be intense. I personally play a scout and find it fun when I get 4 Kills 8-10 assists, 3-4 deaths and tons of objectives. Gunships hate me. Sure you like to sit far and snipe, until I find you. If you get that many kills on a gunship the team he was facing obviously were not communicating. Even if the gunship gets away or gets his team to help him, my objective is complete. The goal is to protect the node, capture, dogfight, assist, etc.

Ditto, I feel your pain..............believe me. But like other people have said on this thread, the object is to win the game. You get the most requisition when you do. The team that has too many people running off from the primary objectives usually loses because nobody holds the zones. So good for you in being one of the good ones.