The Problem of the Sith Empire

Slowpokeking

After played 2 classes on the Empire side and finished the main quest line of the planets, I really think Sith' way is not good to lead a nation, even an empire.

The Sith care too much about their own and love to bully others. They are the enemy of the Republic and the Jedi, unfriendly to many neutral factions. Even inside the Empire, you can see so many Sith use their force choke/lightning to bully/kill Imperial non force sensitives.

As for powerful non force sensitives in the empire, they use brain wash code. In the end of the IA story, even the Minister of the Intelligence said something about understood the Star Cabal's goal.

While they treat most of the non Sith badly, it's not worse than how they treat each other. Treachery is the way of the Sith, never stop betray and kill each other. And that's pretty much why every Sith organization fall. Both SI and SW's story showed a lot about it.

Even high rank members like Malgus, Jadus and Baras betrayed the Empire in different ways.

I'm sure that if the empire fall, the treachery between the Sith themselves and the inner conflicts between Sith and non force sensitives will serve as big factors.

The reason Sidious could succeed is that in the prequel, he was more of a politician rather than a Sith. Plagueis is similar. Just like EP III's novel said, the Sith had remade themselves. Of course he could not avoid the flaw of the Sith, after he became the Emperor even Anakin (in EP III novel) said he would become the most hated man in the galaxy and let many people unite together to take him down.

Of course, the Jedi's way is also terrible to lead a nation, but they mostly ally with the Republic and let the politicians rule the nation.

Edited by Slowpokeking

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night I got my first cue about the brain wash/make you HAVE to say yes to your assignments. Well, no, day before yesterday, and my jaw hit the floor. I understand you want your intelligence officers to obey, but that's just as likely to have them shooting their brains out.

You're right, the way the empire is run currently, it's not run very well. As my IA said in a quest conversation, no one is truly free in the empire, not even the Sith. The greed and bloodlust will assure a very rotating council and government - rather, Siths will all be trying to do each other in all the time, unless there is truly something to fear (not that a Sith would admit fear) from not killing the other Sith and taking his/her place.

It is indeed very corrupt and will most likely tear itself apart. However when you think about it The Republic is pretty much on the brink of tearing itself apart as well. The emperor I believe is the only one that can bring the Empire into line and unify it, but he's having a snooze right now hahaha

You're absolutely right about the whole Sith being the ruling class issue. Here's my ten cents:

When the Empire was created, right up until the Treaty of Coruscant, everything was fine. They were created and united for a singular purpose: to exterminate the Jedi to gain vengeance for the failure of the Great Hyperspace War. The entirety of the Empire was focused on killing Jedi, therefore they were doing a good job.

After the Treaty of Coruscant, the Empire began to regress back to their roots: subterfuge, betrayal, scheming, war on each other, etc. At that point, the Empire lost its way. The Sith have gotten so used to there not being a war going on, even though there's a Cold War for ten years, that they are focused on warring with each other instead of warring against the Jedi and Republic, THEIR ORIGINAL PURPOSE.

After the Emperor, (who needs to get off his *** and re-assume command of the Empire) there are certain Sith Lords, such as Lord Praven, Darth Marr, Darth Decimus, and others like them that are actually fit to rule the Empire in my opinion. They are military leaders, and don't consume themselves with the power plays of the Sith, although they have to in certain cases, as they would perish if they did not. Military Sith Dark Lords, working in concert with Imperial Military leaders, as well as Imperial Intelligence, are the kind of leadership necessary to rule the Empire and see it to its glory days.

BTW, Jedi are evil:rak_smile:

Edited by NicholasMB

Uh... No

The "Sith" and the "Empire" have two different ideologies. It's like the Jedi and the Republic. The SIth way, contrary to popular belief, is not the textbook 'evil' side. The Sith believe that the strong should rule and the week cast aside. How many times have you seen a week Sith? Compare that to the number of times you've seen a week Jedi? Ya, I thought so.

Comparing the Sith and the Jedi is like comparing House League and Rep. The Jedi are accepting and kind to a fault, while the Sith embrace the harsh truth: Competence needs to be established for a society to succeed.

The Empire, though formed by the Sith is completely different.

To use modern terms, the Empire is a monarchy, while the Republic a self proclaimed 'democracy'.

Please, play a Republic character and then tell me how much better the Republic is. Corrupt politicians in the Republic are more common than Sorcerers.

tl;dr:

1. The Sith that follow the Sith code and it's philosophies are not mindless thugs. On BioWare's scale, they'd be something like Dark II or III

2. The Empire is a monarchy, the Republic is a corrupt 'democracy.

Uh... No

The "Sith" and the "Empire" have two different ideologies. It's like the Jedi and the Republic. The SIth way, contrary to popular belief, is not the textbook 'evil' side. The Sith believe that the strong should rule and the week cast aside. How many times have you seen a week Sith? Compare that to the number of times you've seen a week Jedi? Ya, I thought so.

Comparing the Sith and the Jedi is like comparing House League and Rep. The Jedi are accepting and kind to a fault, while the Sith embrace the harsh truth: Competence needs to be established for a society to succeed.

The Empire, though formed by the Sith is completely different.

To use modern terms, the Empire is a monarchy, while the Republic a self proclaimed 'democracy'.

Please, play a Republic character and then tell me how much better the Republic is. Corrupt politicians in the Republic are more common than Sorcerers.

tl;dr:

1. The Sith that follow the Sith code and it's philosophies are not mindless thugs. On BioWare's scale, they'd be something like Dark II or III

2. The Empire is a monarchy, the Republic is a corrupt 'democracy.

I don't think Sith are just "evil", but their way is not good to run a nation, no matter what kind of structure.

The SIth way, contrary to popular belief, is not the textbook 'evil' side. The Sith believe that the strong should rule and the week cast aside.

Wut? That seems a bit contradictory. It's one group that has an over-inflated sense of worth oppressing another group. Don't know how well a couple thousand sith would stand up against the might of the Imperial military or a popular rebellion for that matter.

Wat? Jedi are in opposition to competent leadership? If you ask me, killing military officers on a whim is a pretty clear sign of incompetence, or insanity at the very least.

Wut? Corrupt politicians stand-out in the Republic. They're met with scorn from both your companions and extra-characters. Overall, however, the Republic strives for an ethical democracy. Corruption and unethical behavior is the reason for the season in the Empire.

Wat? The sith are worse than a Saturday morning cartoon villain. They're comically evil, and all their schemes are so convoluted and unnecessary as to make Dr. Evil blush. I'm still waiting to run into a class story where the sith attempt to destroy the republic with frickin laser beams attached to a sharks head.

I apologize for the nerd rage, but the Sith Empire is just so cartoony to me. Less to do with factional loyalty, and more to do with terrible backstory.

Edited by TurokDarkstar

Sith = Totalitarian, oppressive, freedom-restricting dictatorship/oligarchy. Change can only happen through force of arms, maybe even civil war.

Republic = Democratic, semi-corrupt government, yet has an institutionalized system for changing their system to better adapt.

Are people really saying they'd rather live under the Empire? Where basic freedoms such as speech, freedom to protest, freedom to press, etc. are taken away and the citizens are practically playthings of the force-using aristocracy? Really?

Well, ultimately we know the Sith Empire does fail. Now when that occurs is open ended, but obviously sometime before the rise of the New Sith Empire c. 2000 BBY (founded by Darth Ruin, which will also eventually be destroyed circa 1000 BBY, followed by the rise of Darth Bane and the rule of two).

As far as I know there's a pretty big timeline/lore gap between Vitiate's Sith Empire (the one for the game) and the one founded by Darth Ruin. I suspect at some point in the timeline the emperor dies or is killed, and then you have a bunch of warring Sith "fiefdoms" until the rise of Darth Ruin, as the emperor's strength appears to be the only thing keeping the empire "united" (or more accurately keeping the Sith from warring with each other).

Well, ultimately we know the Sith Empire does fail. Now when that occurs is open ended, but obviously sometime before the rise of the New Sith Empire c. 2000 BBY (founded by Darth Ruin, which will also eventually be destroyed circa 1000 BBY, followed by the rise of Darth Bane and the rule of two).

As far as I know there's a pretty big timeline/lore gap between Vitiate's Sith Empire (the one for the game) and the one founded by Darth Ruin. I suspect at some point in the timeline the emperor dies or is killed, and then you have a bunch of warring Sith "fiefdoms" until the rise of Darth Ruin, as the emperor's strength appears to be the only thing keeping the empire "united" (or more accurately keeping the Sith from warring with each other).

If we go by what Pre Vizsla said in The Clone Wars, the "Old Republic" and the Galactic Republic of the New Sith Wars and Clone Wars may not be the same entity either.

The Sith and Imperial way of life glorifies one of the ruling principles of life:

The strong shall prosper, while the weak wither and die.

Natural Selection at its finest.

So then 75% of the people playing this game are doomed...

If the weak will wither away, why is so much time spent "weeding out the weak" in the Empire? Natural Selection ain't that natural if they have to actively killed them off...

Edited by Guildrum

The OP is really generalizing. There ARE good people on BOTH sides. Shades of grey man.

The Sith Empire is mostly an absolute monarchy, or supposed to be anyway. Therefore, how it's run depends pretty entirely on the monarch. But since Emperor Tenebraus AKA Darth Vitiate shows little to no interest in ACTUALLY governing (he prefers bedroom rituals all day), he leaves this duty to the Dark Council mostly. The way the D.C. governs is actually pretty debatable. The only speech that looks to be discouraged/suppressed is any type of pro-Republic sentiment. Yes this is wrong, it's also wrong to believe Imperial citizens can't say ANYTHING at all. There is corruption. This is mostly from Sith infighting. Certain Darths trying to scheme/kill their way onto the D.C., etc. It is an empire after all. As such, the S.E. is pretty clear & honest bout its intentions when they conquer a people, planet, etc. "Support us, we'll leave you be mostly. Oppose us, we'll wipe you out."

The Galactic Republic is a representative republic. There are many ways to label it, democratic, federal, etc. A Supreme Chancellor, Senate, High Courts, etc. ALL THREE susceptible to the same kind of corruption that exists in the S.E. They just choose to allow themselves to be bribed, lobbied, blackmailed, etc much more, instead. Many shady, outside voices have a say in the Galactic Senate too. Weakness, indecisiveness have reigned supreme there on many an occasion. The Republic has too practiced mass genocide, on the S.E. itself, 1st even. Also, any Imperial player who's played through Belsavis knows how deep this hypocrisy runs. The G.R. is nowhere near as free & saintly as its propaganda would have you believe.

All in all, both are flawed.

Edited by Darth_Solrac

Sith = Totalitarian, oppressive, freedom-restricting dictatorship/oligarchy. Change can only happen through force of arms, maybe even civil war.

Republic = Democratic, semi-corrupt government, yet has an institutionalized system for changing their system to better adapt.

Are people really saying they'd rather live under the Empire? Where basic freedoms such as speech, freedom to protest, freedom to press, etc. are taken away and the citizens are practically playthings of the force-using aristocracy? Really?

In the prequel, people chose to let the Republic become Empire.

Edited by Slowpokeking

Yes, the Sith are pretty much the biggest problem with the Empire. Playing an agent really makes you appreciate how the Sith can screw every plan up, and how much better it would be if they weren't the ones in charge of everything. Playing an Agent is all about the safety of the Empire and its people, and the two Sith story lines are all about the inner power struggles and gaining power for yourself, which tells you a lot already. Agent saves the Empire while being hindered by the Sith, and the two Sith get nice titles and lots of power.

If it were just Jedi vs Sith, then the in-fighting of the Sith would make sense in their own twisted way, because it makes them stronger, and gets rid of the weak. In an all-out galactic war it's a different matter all together. It's not like the Emperor cares how much his people screw things up though, since his plan doesn't require victory, and he sure doesn't care about the people of his Empire.

Edited by Boissi

The OP is really generalizing. There ARE good people on BOTH sides. Shades of grey man.

Yes, but overall the Sith Empire got bigger problem. You can see many of those "good" and grey people aren't favored by the Sith, even if they think you are too useful to kill they have to put some mind control device in your head.

The Sith Empire is mostly an absolute monarchy, or supposed to be anyway. Therefore, how it's run depends pretty entirely on the monarch. But since Emperor Tenebraus AKA Darth Vitiate shows little to no interest in ACTUALLY governing (he prefers bedroom rituals all day), he leaves this duty to the Dark Council mostly. The way the D.C. governs is actually pretty debatable. The only speech that looks to be discouraged/suppressed is any type of pro-Republic sentiment. Yes this is wrong, it's also wrong to believe Imperial citizens can't say ANYTHING at all. There is corruption. This is mostly from Sith infighting. Certain Darths trying to scheme/kill their way onto the D.C., etc. It is an empire after all. As such, the S.E. is pretty clear & honest bout its intentions when they conquer a people, planet, etc. "Support us, we'll leave you be mostly. Oppose us, we'll wipe you out."

The Galactic Republic is a representative republic. There are many ways to label it, democratic, federal, etc. A Supreme Chancellor, Senate, High Courts, etc. ALL THREE susceptible to the same kind of corruption that exists in the S.E. They just choose to allow themselves to be bribed, lobbied, blackmailed, etc much more, instead. Many shady, outside voices have a say in the Galactic Senate too. Weakness, indecisiveness have reigned supreme there on many an occasion. The Republic has too practiced mass genocide, on the S.E. itself, 1st even. Also, any Imperial player who's played through Belsavis knows how deep this hypocrisy runs. The G.E. is nowhere near as free & saintly as it' propaganda would have you believe.

All in all, both are flawed.

Democracy vs Autocracy bascially. The age old question of which one works better.

Answer= Neither lol

Yes, the Sith are pretty much the biggest problem with the Empire. Playing an agent really makes you appreciate how the Sith can screw every plan up, and how much better it would be if they weren't the ones in charge of everything. Playing an Agent is all about the safety of the Empire and its people, and the two Sith story lines are all about the inner power struggles and gaining power for yourself, which tells you a lot already. Agent saves the Empire while being hindered by the Sith, and the two Sith get nice titles and lots of power.

If it were just Jedi vs Sith, then the in-fighting of the Sith would make sense in their own twisted way, because it makes them stronger, and gets rid of the weak. In an all-out galactic war it's a different matter all together. It's not like the Emperor cares how much his people screw things up though, since his plan doesn't require victory, and he sure doesn't care about the people of his Empire.

SI is mostly about inner struggle, SW did something to cripple the republic.

"I am Gen'dai. My people had done nothing to your Empire when they set upon us. They tore our world apart, slaughtered our children, or sold them as slaves. In fact, every species here has suffered an unprovoked attack by your Empire."

The Empire is worse than the Republic.

The Empire is a Tyrannical, speciest government. They look at aliens as lesser beings when many of them have great finesse in certain areas. Like Malgus said, Trandoshans are loyal and fierce warriors, the breathing mask guys have great technology, and much more. Malgus direction for the Empire was good. Even though, the Empire still be pretty bad

The Republic seems nice and peaceful they help and support other alien species and all that jazz, however they are a Democracy, and every Democracy will sooner or later, eat itself

Really, the only form of Government that works and will last longer than any other and prosper more, is a Republic.

Edited by FalcoLombardi

In the Jedi Knight story, you find out that the Emperor wants to go ahead and kill all life in the galaxy to fufill some dark side ritual.

Republic>Empire

Why?

Because in the end, your Employer doesn't try to kill you most of the time