EU : where to start

carliiiiito

so ive been reading these forums a lot lately and it make me want to learn/read more about the expanded universe.But i have no clue where to start:confused:

So if any of you could point me to a website or some books to get started i would greatly appreciate.Anything would do really ,as long as its good :)

thx in advance

thrawn is good, han solo trilogy is better i think. grittier, if you're like me and prefer that stuff. thrawn comes off to me as an attempt to be a followup to the trilogy, han solo trilogy is just a great, winding story about a great character.

and when you're in the mood for something cheesy, both of the clone wars animated series are fun.

so ive been reading these forums a lot lately and it make me want to learn/read more about the expanded universe.But i have no clue where to start:confused:

So if any of you could point me to a website or some books to get started i would greatly appreciate.Anything would do really ,as long as its good :)

thx in advance

I can easily say start with Timothy Zahn's original Thrawn trilogy that takes place 5 years after Return of the Jedi. It's a fantastic entry point into the EU.

thrawn is good, han solo trilogy is better i think. grittier, if you're like me and prefer that stuff. thrawn comes off to me as an attempt to be a followup to the trilogy, han solo trilogy is just a great, winding story about a great character.

and when you're in the mood for something cheesy, both of the clone wars animated series are fun.

which Han Solo trilogy? there are 2 of them... The Paradise Snare, The Hutt Gambit, and Rebel Dawn or Han Solo at Stars' End, Han Solo's Revenge and Han Solo and the Lost Legacy

which Han Solo trilogy? there are 2 of them... The Paradise Snare, The Hutt Gambit, and Rebel Dawn or Han Solo at Stars' End, Han Solo's Revenge and Han Solo and the Lost Legacy

paradise snare, hutt gambit, rebel dawn. ha didnt even read through your post and know the titles by heart. should show how much i love those

Must read: Anything by Tim Zhan, Kathy Tyers, or Michael Stackpole

Must AVOID: Anything by Kevin J. Anderson, The Corellian Trilogy, The Crystal Star

Your Mileage May Vary: The New Jedi Order (some love it, some hate, but practically no one is indifferent about it), anything by Karen Traviss (some love her, some hate her, almost no one is indifferent about her; for me, it comes down to the fact that who she has revealed herself to be as a person means I will never read one of her books, no matter how well-written or engaging it may actually be. . . and she has some pretty poorly-written books, to boot.)

To be honest, there are a great many ways to get into the EU, just start at Calais and... Sorry bad joke, but the rest of the statement still stands.

An unlikely beginning, but I'd recommend second hand book stores. There's a small chance that they'd have old, used (but good enough condition) SW books in them for cheap. I've already found two great books in my local charity stores (The first of the Thrawn triology, called Heir to the Empire, and Tales from Jabba's Palace*) and I live in a small town in Ireland! Amazon itself is a good place for secondhand books too. Also, you'd probably want to start in the books based around the movies, I personally just find it easier to get into a medium with stepping stones like these.

*Maybe it's bias, but I recommend these two, in either order. Tales is a nice throwaway story book a la 1001 Arabian Nights in that there are many personal stories in it but the only prerequisite is that you've seen RotJ (and tbh you can understand a lot of it without even seeing the movies). Thrawn is more serious and, while I personally found it's attention to Original Trilogy detail a bit jaunting, it is a must for the sheer brilliance of Thrawn's character.

Edited by Queen_Ultima