Feedback request from James Ohlen - Group Finder

StephenReid

What part of a Group Finder feature is most important to you?  

3,234 members have voted

1. 1. What part of a Group Finder feature is most important to you?

• Forming a group for Operations
    • Forming a group for Flashpoints
    • Forming a group for Heroic Missions
    • Forming a group for something else
    • No preference/all of the above

Hello everyone! James Ohlen, Game Director for Star Wars: The Old Republic, is looking for your feedback on the game's development once again. This week, with the development team hard at work on the next Game Update, he's asking for feedback on a planned feature.

James takes feedback directly via his Twitter account (@JamesOhlen), but if you're not on Twitter, his question is below and you can give your feedback here which will be passed on to him. You can also cast your vote on a poll.

As always, we ask you to limit your feedback to the question at hand and keep your feedback constructive as well as on-topic!

Here is James' question for this week:

What part of a Group Finder feature is most important to you? Is it forming a group for Operations, for Flashpoints, for Heroics, for something else - or do you have no preference?

As a note; at this time the Group Finder feature in development is limited to searching on a single server only.

You can vote in the attached poll on these options.

As a reminder, you can follow James on Twitter @JamesOhlen. You can also follow our main account @SWTOR.

Edited by StephenReid

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of the above in order to compete with competition. A group finder for everything mentioned in the poll would be a huge step forward. It can't just be for one of those things. Edited by Merex

I'm hoping flashpoints first and foremost, if you are asking this to judge priority. After that, Heroics, and then Operations.

Operations are usually handled by guilds or groups of friends anyway. Heroics can usually be done by gathering a few people on the planet, if not soloed pretty easily.

When WoW did their "raid finder," they had to add an additional lower level of difficulty. So rather than their raids being easy (which they most certainly were) the raid finder difficulty was "Click here for epics."

Don't do that.

All of the above in order to compete with competition. A group finder for everything mentioned in the poll would be a huge step forward. It can't just be for one of those things.

This. It's absolutely imperative to get a group finder for all group activities. Preferably one that has an "auto-join" option for those who are less picky.

I'm hoping flashpoints first and foremost, if you are asking this to judge priority. After that, Heroics, and then Operations.

Operations are usually handled by guilds or groups of friends anyway. Heroics can usually be done by gathering a few people on the planet, if not soloed pretty easily.

When WoW did their "raid finder," they had to add an additional lower level of difficulty. So rather than their raids being easy (which they most certainly were) the raid finder difficulty was "Click here for epics."

Don't do that.

I'd be fine with everything but operations. Flashpoints and Heroic Missions are definitely the most important. Granted, accessibility is huge in MMOs now. Clicking a button and being able to raid is a HUGE advantage "that other game" has. Bioware will eventually need that to compete.

And with how spread out the population is, the only option for the group finder is for it to be cross-server, or queues will be too long. I know it's going to be single server at first, but it's guaranteed that this tool will need to be expanded to cross-server. Just watch. I expect a lot of hate for that comment, but I'm just being realistic here.

Edited by Merex

The most important thing about a group finder is for people to use it!

I'm not sure what the issue is with most people, but they seem to refuse to use the finder app. I'll see people standing in Fleet, BEGGING for a group and when I look in the LFG too, they're not listed. >.<

From the choices, All of the above. I would love to be able to sit in a queue in order to finish X heroic on Coruscant, for example.

Not listed in the choices: Cross server. It's a pain trying to find a group at a server's offpeak time period. Even the Warzone group finder has trouble during off peak. In my opinion, Crossserver is the MOST important feature for a group finder so that we can find a group for Flashpoints using players from the entire community.

Flashpoints is for sure the most important. Its important for level50 to have something to without a to much big struggle to form a group, as well when leveling to be able to take a "break from quest" and do some flashpoints with a group :)

Operations can be skipped, cant see any reason there really. this ones can be handel trough chats @ fleet / guilds etc.

Heroic mission would come in second for sure :) ppl can be able to wanna do them after they left the planet or if they chilling @ fleet etc. So that would be nice.

Myself only done a ew heroic2+ quests while leveling, so for future chars whould be cool to be able to do them all + all 4heroic :)

Flashpoints with QT to the FP (like warzones). That way more players would want to do FP's without a major interruption to their leveling/etc. Vote to kick, rage quit = timer to requeue, etc.

Ability to queue for a FP would be based on minimum gear ratings & level. You wouldn't want to group up with a new 50 to try and run HM Lost Island...

Cross server queuing would also be optimal. That way less populated servers/factions could enjoy the FP content as well without waiting in a queue all night. Create a friends list which spanned servers. This could help facilitate cross-server queuing with your friends from other servers.

Edited by wjchristenson
Additional Thoughts

Flashpoints should be the priority. Let's be honest here, standing around on the fleet pimping yourself out in trade/general chat isn't very effective all for the sake of 'community'. It's a waste to those who are actually doing quests to have to stop what they are doing in order to go stand around and spam LFG for who knows how long, trying to find the right combination of people. Pushing on my 3rd 50 now and I stopped bothering with leveling Flashpoints. I wait to use my guild to do HM's after 50.

It seems like a waste to have people ignore the Flashpoints due to the hassle of just trying to get people at the right level to go.

Personal note, I don't have a problem with Cross-Server groups. I don't see how it 'kills' community at all. Spending some time with other players, despite the server, should be a good thing. Right?

From the choices, All of the above. I would love to be able to sit in a queue in order to finish X heroic on Coruscant, for example.

Not listed in the choices: Cross server. It's a pain trying to find a group at a server's offpeak time period. Even the Warzone group finder has trouble during off peak. In my opinion, Crossserver is the MOST important feature for a group finder so that we can find a group for Flashpoints using players from the entire community.

Love this. imo a really nice feature.

No ops plz, wow did that and its a joke fest.

actually the way they originally did it wasn't so bad. ie. wotlk where you could see who was queued for a raid and pick the people you wanted. imo that was the better system than the cross realm anti-social bollocks they have now. as soon as you loose the say over who is in your group things are heading towards bad times...

My vote is to not have a group finder. A group finder tends to kill the social atmosphere of a game, as of right now people actually have to take a minute to talk to other people in order to run FP's. Adding a group finder for FP's I feel would really hurt the a social aspect of the game.

One of the saddest things this game suffers is that on my 50, I have still only done Esseles and one other lowbie Flashpoint. They have really good little stories, and are a nice break up from the grind of levelling, in between warzones.

You are getting close Bioware, very close, just scrabble over the cliff edge, pull yourselves up and you are on mount Golden Age of your MMo.

Really impressed with everything added so far, give this game 6 months and you have yourselves a diamond, once all the sub quit threateners have gone onto something else to wreck for everyone.

:csw_fett:

Flashpoints would be most important, followed by heroic quests.

If you do one for operations, please don't do it like WoW. The raid finder in WoW is herpderp free epics. An OP finder for Story Mode OPs (without nerfing the difficulty) would be decent though, I might use that on my alts.

For the love of God though, please don't make cross server group finders. They sucked in WoW, they ruined Rift, and they will ruin TOR too. A sense of community in an MMO server is important, please don't ruin this.

all would be ok if done with a few safefalls

safefalls include but not limited to

cant need on items that dont have your class stat ie willpower, cunning, aim and strength. the ability is blocked

some type of a stat check for hardmodes and operations if appropriate. ie begining ones might not need as much if any as the higher tier ones.

some type of a lockout timer for rage quiters

abilitiy to vote kick a group member.

these come to mind right now and am sure i have missed a few. perhaps others have thier own to add.

All of the above really.

If anything Flashpoints, and Heroic Quests. And maybe even with the world event at the moment. Queuing with world boss quests or something when they occur.

Operations are kinda low on my scale, just because you are usually going to already be in a guild if you want this to occur. As Operations get easier though more informal groups occur, so thats where this would come in.

Without a doubt, Flashpoints are what I'd like it to support first and foremost. This seems to be the overall largest chunk imho that could benefit the most players. Short of the first couple FP's, I never bothered to look into any even though the General Chat is constantly being spammed for them. Group Finder would obviously help reduce that issue as well...