An update on the One-Time-Password system (April 16th 2013)

Phillip_BW

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, there is no "confusion", what I wrote is correct. When I reset the modem, the IP changes, when I reset the computer the IP changes (and no it not power linked with the modem). In what other language I have to write it.

Not possible, sorry. You clearly don't understand how IP addresses work.

You have 2 IPs -- external and internal. No one but you (or anyone connected directly to your network) can view internal IPs. They are used so your modem knows what it's talking to. When you power down a device connected to the modem, your INTERNAL IP may change.

Your external IP is what other people can attempt to connect to/view. This is what other companies see when you connect to their software. If you were to host a website on your home PC -- that is how outsiders would view the website (DNS would point to that IP). This is changed when powering down/cycling your modem, or whenever your ISP decides to change it.

Why can't you lads hook up with Steam/Valve and get their software, I don't have to use the "OTP" there ....

I powerclose my modem when it's not in use and thus when I start it, a new IP, it's called saving energy by shutting it down completly :)

I powerclose my modem when it's not in use and thus when I start it, a new IP, it's called saving energy by shutting it down completly :)

Not ragging on you or trying to flame you or anything... but I believe the power draw from those is minimal. Also, most ISPs highly recommend that you don't do that with your modems.

I never said it was invalid. Just that it was dramatic. I never told him not to express his opinion... only what I observed from it and my suggestions accordingly.

And the fact is... he was extrtemely off-topic with 90% of what he wrote.... and all it did was create needless drama in the thead. As for complaining... yeah. in fact.. complaining about a problem does not solve a problem. Working the problem solves the problem. You are right.. I don't know what (if anything) he has done to work the problem.. becasue he has given zero indication that he has done anything to work the problem. What exactly is your point?

OIC... he can express his opinion, but I cannot express mine. How double standard of you.

I however respect your opinions and expression of it. I have not responded as of yet because you are entitled to express it. Despite how much i feel like you telling me how i should spend my time is a waste of time, and off topic.

Or how telling me what a good bf should do is subjective...and even more off topic. But if you're concern is valid, allow me to alleviate your concerns ;)

We have troubleshot it for many hours. contacted support on the forums, and in game using MY account. Vented on the forums to SHARE our experiences on the forum to bring awareness to issues. That way people who are too shy to comment on things or complain can see that they are NOT alone in experiencing the problem. Furthermore, i did work with her on finding ways to get logged in. Including letting her play/create a character on MY account because she DOES in fact enjoy the game. Its just a damn shame she can't log into her own account....

I however respect your opinions and expression of it. I have not responded as of yet because you are entitled to express it. Despite how much i feel like you telling me how i should spend my time is a waste of time, and off topic.

Or how telling me what a good bf should do is subjective...and even more off topic. But if you're concern is valid, allow me to alleviate your concerns ;)

We have troubleshot it for many hours. contacted support on the forums, and in game using MY account. Vented on the forums to SHARE our experiences on the forum to bring awareness to issues. That way people who are too shy to comment on things or complain can see that they are NOT alone in experiencing the problem. Furthermore, i did work with her on finding ways to get logged in. Including letting her play/create a character on MY account because she DOES in fact enjoy the game. Its just a damn shame she can't log into her own account....

Not to start **** -- but why couldn't you have just posted originally saying:

"We're also having this problem. These are the steps we've taken:

1.)x

2.)x

So far, nothing has fixed the problem, and we aren't sure what else we can do without help from BioWare. This is a serious issue, and I find it very frustrating."

MANY people don't understand that "venting" on the forums does no good. The best it will do is drive others to argue with you and flame you for fun or out of boredom or because they're sick of hearing people "whine". Unfortunately, a lot of people only show up here when they're upset, and because of that they sound like 5 year olds throwing a tantrum -- and they ruin it for other people who aren't trying to be ridiculous.

Not to start **** -- but why couldn't you have just posted originally saying:

"We're also having this problem. These are the steps we've taken:

1.)x

2.)x

So far, nothing has fixed the problem, and we aren't sure what else we can do without help from BioWare. This is a serious issue, and I find it very frustrating."

MANY people don't understand that "venting" on the forums does no good. The best it will do is drive others to argue with you and flame you for fun or out of boredom or because they're sick of hearing people "whine". Unfortunately, a lot of people only show up here when they're upset, and because of that they sound like 5 year olds throwing a tantrum -- and they ruin it for other people who aren't trying to be ridiculous.

Exactly.

Doing what Kilora suggests IS working the problem.. and in a constructive manner (both for you and for others). And, by sharing specific information (something, Tezeretz, you still have not done) might result in helpful suggestions from others that get you to a solution.

Complaining, and offering no insight or context at all on your particular issue (other then a laundry list of off-topic things you do not like about the game) is not productive to the topic and frankly is not getting your needs met, unless your need was just to complain.

Personally, I'm ususally fine with complaints if they are on topic and someone does it respectfully and lets us know right up front they just want to complain and don't care to solve their problem. If you pretend to want to solve your problem but clearly just want to launder your complaints about the game... I'm going to comment in most cases.

Edited by Andryah

are you seriously trying to tell me here that google mail servers or some obscure "greylisting" feature is the reason those emails take so long? this is costing you money and subscribers.

Are you saying it isn't? Do you KNOW what is causing the problem?

Otherwise, just don't speak.

I shouldn't be saying anything, but...

Kilora, Andryah,

Yes, everyone has the right to their opinion, including your opinion that the way he expressed himself was wrong. Picking on specific points he is using in his argument is one thing, however, you are attacking his method of expressing himself. That's just plain bad etiquette and being rude.

You don't like the way he is expressing himself? Just don't read his posts. If his method of expressing himself is that bad, then obviously he won't get any help/serious consideration from anyone. [exaggeration] Not everyone has to be "prim & proper" in the way they post.[/exaggeration]

I shouldn't be saying anything, but...

Kilora, Andryah,

Yes, everyone has the right to their opinion, including your opinion that the way he expressed himself was wrong. Picking on specific points he is using in his argument is one thing, however, you are attacking his method of expressing himself. That's just plain bad etiquette and being rude.

You don't like the way he is expressing himself? Just don't read his posts. If his method of expressing himself is that bad, then obviously he won't get any help/serious consideration from anyone. [exaggeration] Not everyone has to be "prim & proper" in the way they post.[/exaggeration]

Did you read my post? Because I'm pretty sure it would be difficult to be any more polite than that.

My last post wasn't attacking -- it was a suggestion on how to get fewer people to attack him. . .

I don't care about "prim & proper" -- but don't expect anyone to give you a sliver of respect if you can't do the same. It's bad etiquette and rude to complain about something with absolutely no information on it.

If you actually mean to help others -- as he stated was his intent -- I was trying to show him how he could've altered to post to help more people, and attract fewer attacks. It's really simple. . .

There's a problem. What do you do? Isolate the problem. We KNOW there's a problem with the OTP. We DON'T know for sure where the problem lies, unless we accept everything BioWare has said. Even then -- they admit they aren't positive, because it seems there are multiple likely problems affecting people differently.

Best solution? Write a post to explain your situation. Use actual details -- such as "I use gmail" and "I get them within 5 seconds, but they don't work" or "I checked the mail headings." Even saying "I'm not sure how to check the mail headers -- but I'm willing to, if someone wants to help me?"

Just saying "I'm pissed and unsubbing because someone I know can't access the game because of OTP." What good does that do, other than create "drama"? My last post was meant to be constructive and polite -- I'm sorry if you failed to see that.

I'd just like to take a moment to say that the "one" time password system is VERY FREAKING ANNOYING.

In order to post my discontentment with this system, I had to first maneuver my way around it not once, but twice. The first password that was sent to me took about 5 minutes to be received. I copy pasted it and it failed. So I had to do it all over again: log in, wait 5 minutes for email, copy paste. The second time, it was successful.

I run firefox and, in general, I do not like cookies. I put an exception for "www.swtor.com" and that does not help. I have third party cookies disabled, first party enabled. Still no love. I don't know what to do here. I am not going to simply enable all cookies just so that I don't have to jump through these hoops every time. Instead, I will just minimize the number of times I post on these forums. But this time, I logged in specifically to say how much I hate, with a fiery passion, the million time password system.

EDIT: By the way, for anyone who is into Dilbert comic strips, this OTP system very much makes me think of Mordac the preventer of information services. Mordac is their IT guy and he takes a special pleasure in making it impossible for users to do anything. This OTP system is, in my opinion, so over the top in terms of security that it is most definitely something that Mordac would be in favor of.

Mordac: http://search.dilbert.com/comic/Mordac%20The%20Preventer

Edited by teclado

I'd just like to take a moment to say that the "one" time password system is VERY FREAKING ANNOYING.

In order to post my discontentment with this system, I had to first maneuver my way around it not once, but twice. The first password that was sent to me took about 5 minutes to be received. I copy pasted it and it failed. So I had to do it all over again: log in, wait 5 minutes for email, copy paste. The second time, it was successful.

I run firefox and, in general, I do not like cookies. I put an exception for "www.swtor.com" and that does not help. I have third party cookies disabled, first party enabled. Still no love. I don't know what to do here. I am not going to simply enable all cookies just so that I don't have to jump through these hoops every time. Instead, I will just minimize the number of times I post on these forums. But this time, I logged in specifically to say how much I hate, with a fiery passion, the million time password system.

EDIT: By the way, for anyone who is into Dilbert comic strips, this OTP system very much makes me think of Mordac the preventer of information services. Mordac is their IT guy and he takes a special pleasure in making it impossible for users to do anything. This OTP system is, in my opinion, so over the top in terms of security that it is most definitely something that Mordac would be in favor of.

Mordac: http://search.dilbert.com/comic/Mordac%20The%20Preventer

Just a question -- did you try adding a second exception for "starwarstheoldrepublic.com"? I noticed Phillip mention that -- thought it was strange, but maybe that could help? Good Luck! <3 Dilbert, and I do agree!

Exactly.

Doing what Kilora suggests IS working the problem.. and in a constructive manner (both for you and for others). And, by sharing specific information (something, Tezeretz, you still have not done) might result in helpful suggestions from others that get you to a solution.

Complaining, and offering no insight or context at all on your particular issue (other then a laundry list of off-topic things you do not like about the game) is not productive to the topic and frankly is not getting your needs met, unless your need was just to complain.

Personally, I'm ususally fine with complaints if they are on topic and someone does it respectfully and lets us know right up front they just want to complain and don't care to solve their problem. If you pretend to want to solve your problem but clearly just want to launder your complaints about the game... I'm going to comment in most cases.

Apparently you did not read what i have done then.

I HAVE offered context and what i have done. specified steps taken on the CUSTOMER SERVICE boards in more then one threat. Created tickets, called support, etc.

However, venting is also an option.

There is an expression. "The squeaky wheel gets the grease"

Those who are most vocal, get what they want more often. May be annoying, but it is a fact. If you studied politics at all, you learn this on day one. Fact of the matter is...being vocal is the only way to bring on change.

Mobile Security Keys are only available to Subscribers

This was a decision made before we launched the new Free to Play model SWTOR now works within. There is a substantial cost we absorb by providing the Mobile Security Key solution (even ignoring the 100 cartel coins per month you get as a side-benefit), and until we could provide a self-service model for losing or replacing a Mobile Security Key, we could not consider providing it to everybody.

We are currently looking at providing the Mobile Security Key additionally to 'Preferred' status players as an authentication option in addition to Subscribers. The idea is that once you put a real dollar value against your account in the form of cartel coin purchases or even a subscription, we will acknowledge that trust in us as a studio and at that point provide the option to you as player.

ETA: I don't have definite approval or even an estimated date for when this can go live, so I'm going out on a limb here and telling you far earlier in the process than we would normally do so. I blame Eric, Courtney and Amber for leading the way here and ruining my natural desire to be secretive. :jawa_wink:

Is any work going to be done as far as making sure that the mobile security key is compatible with more android cell phones? I have a galaxy s2 and it doesn't work. I would love to use it but I can't. :(

There is an expression. "The squeaky wheel gets the grease"

Those who are most vocal, get what they want more often. May be annoying, but it is a fact. If you studied politics at all, you learn this on day one. Fact of the matter is...being vocal is the only way to bring on change.

There is a difference between squeaky and grinding gears. But let's go with the meme for a moment.

Does not work for MMOs. It's a misused meme in this context. It's a myth... but I get that the myth is believed by some.

MMO producers must balance many factors simultaneously in the production and delivery of an MMO to a wide, large, and diverse audience. And not all things they have to balance are even in the players best interests (because there are shareholders, company direction... etc.).... and then of course we have thousands of different squeaky wheels many in conflict with one another and going nowhere.

Does not even work in politics anymore, at least not in the US. Lobby money gets the grease in politics now days. No money no consideration... no matter how loud you scream or how many of you scream. So let's not rely on that analogy.

Edited by Andryah

• Dev Post

A very quick update - we have just rolled out a change in the expiry time for the OTP message which allows it to be valid for a longer period of time, and we will be monitoring how effective the change is for if we need to tweak it further or not.

I may even get a chance to answer some of the questions raised in this thread in a bit if I'm lucky... :jawa_wink:

Apparently you did not read what i have done then.

I HAVE offered context and what i have done. specified steps taken on the CUSTOMER SERVICE boards in more then one threat. Created tickets, called support, etc.

Yes.. I have.. and NO.. you have not.

Just to make sure I did not somehow miss something.. I went back through your post history in the forums. I'm meticulous in that way....As far as I can see.. you have made one post (still vague and nonspecific) that was more then just venting, here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=6170323&postcount=80

I'm sorry.. but nowhere do I see where you provided any specifics on what you have/have-not done to try to work the problem. I'm not saying you have not worked it.. I am saying you have given no insight as to what/how/when/etc. Your recent posts in the Customer Service forum are about launcher patching issues, which you resolved as far as I can see.

A very quick update - we have just rolled out a change in the expiry time for the OTP message which allows it to be valid for a longer period of time, and we will be monitoring how effective the change is for if we need to tweak it further or not.

I may even get a chance to answer some of the questions raised in this thread in a bit if I'm lucky... :jawa_wink:

Cool.

Are you able to share any specifics? Is it the same setting for everyone?

Did you read my post? Because I'm pretty sure it would be difficult to be any more polite than that.

My last post wasn't attacking -- it was a suggestion on how to get fewer people to attack him. . .

I don't care about "prim & proper" -- but don't expect anyone to give you a sliver of respect if you can't do the same. It's bad etiquette and rude to complain about something with absolutely no information on it.

If you actually mean to help others -- as he stated was his intent -- I was trying to show him how he could've altered to post to help more people, and attract fewer attacks. It's really simple. . .

There's a problem. What do you do? Isolate the problem. We KNOW there's a problem with the OTP. We DON'T know for sure where the problem lies, unless we accept everything BioWare has said. Even then -- they admit they aren't positive, because it seems there are multiple likely problems affecting people differently.

Best solution? Write a post to explain your situation. Use actual details -- such as "I use gmail" and "I get them within 5 seconds, but they don't work" or "I checked the mail headings." Even saying "I'm not sure how to check the mail headers -- but I'm willing to, if someone wants to help me?"

Just saying "I'm pissed and unsubbing because someone I know can't access the game because of OTP." What good does that do, other than create "drama"? My last post was meant to be constructive and polite -- I'm sorry if you failed to see that.

He came here adding his voice to those that are fed up with the rings and hoops. Your point 1 on your first post to him (and subsequent post) were attacking. So following those up with a "here's how not to get attacked" is still a form of attack.

Quite frankly, there are some people that are going to have this problem no matter how hard they or anyone else tries fixing things on the client's end. People deserve a place to have their voice heard for the frustration they are going through. Again, don't like it? Don't read their post. If they're crying for help but provide no details, then either move on or request more details. Pick on things that are not factual, consider it as being ignorant/misinformed (because that is not being rude), but don't pick on how they posted by saying nobody cares. That is being polite.

Edited by FuryoftheStars

Yes.. I have.. and NO.. you have not.

Just to make sure I did not somehow miss something.. I went back through your post history in the forums. I'm meticulous in that way....As far as I can see.. you have made one post (still vague and nonspecific) that was more then just venting, here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=6170323&postcount=80

I'm sorry.. but nowhere do I see where you provided any specifics on what you have/have-not done to try to work the problem. I'm not saying you have not worked it.. I am saying you have given no insight as to what/how/when/etc. Your recent posts in the Customer Service forum are about launcher patching issues, which you resolved as far as I can see.

And he wasn't asking you to solve it... so why would he give you the nitty-gritty details?