Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is "Bug Hunt" an exploit? An answer from a DEV would be appreciated.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Is "Bug Hunt" an exploit? An answer from a DEV would be appreciated.

SteveTheCynic
06.18.2019 , 05:43 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Nemmar View Post
Of course it is an exploit, though keith didn't outright call it that. Notice how he says "fixed". If it's fixed cause it was wrong eh?
Keith didn't call it an exploit because, in the common definition of an exploit being a thing outside the rules of the game (item duping, credit production, etc.), it isn't one. It's "fixed" because they didn't mean for it to be like that, but by not calling it an exploit, he's essentially saying "there will be no repercussions against people who used it".

People get long suspensions or total bans for using actual exploits, and nobody is getting anything for this, therefore it's not an exploit.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

TheMubarak
06.18.2019 , 10:34 AM | #12
I'm still waiting for a response from a DEV. (Notice I'm not addressing the trolls).

there are solid reasons for thinking it could be an exploit. And there are also solid reasons for thinking it's not an exploit. Both sides of the discussion could be considered a valid argument. However, without a solid input from a DEV, the debate will continue unresolved and unclear. All I'm asking for is clarification from a DEV.

Keta
06.18.2019 , 10:39 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by MadDutchman View Post
Had you actually read their "opinions" (or actually spent 30 seconds to research this yourself) you would now know that it is known to the devs and NOT an exploit
Reading comprehension isn't strong in this thread apparently.
Yes, another referral link; click it or don't. Free stuff for you, free stuff for me.

TheMubarak
06.18.2019 , 11:03 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Keta View Post
Reading comprehension isn't strong in this thread apparently.
Allow "me" to make a "clarification".

1. I did do my research "before" posting this thread.
2. What the DEV did say wasn't a clarification that this is or isn't an exploit. The statement made was that they know of and are aware of "this area" and have made "changes" to it. they also said "these are not the final version" of those changes.

What I'm asking for is a more clear and precise clarification "from a DEV" as to if this is an exploit or not BECAUSE other players are making the ASSUMPTION that it's not an exploit because the ability to do it hasn't been removed from the game. However, other players, like myself think it must be an exploit BECAUSE it's being "nerfed" over and over, in an attempt to stop players from "exploiting" it.

We can argue this subject all day long, but I refuse to fall into that game with the trolls.

I'm waiting for an actual member of the development team aka a DEV to respond and "clarify" this so we can end this debate clearly. Whichever direction this goes it only has two possible outcomes. Either this is an exploit that the DEVs are trying to patch a fix to, or it is not. But only a DEV can answer this and make this clear.

Darevsool
06.18.2019 , 11:15 AM | #15
The goal for exploits is that they generally get "fixed" so they can't happen again.

Not "nerfed" so they have fewer rewards (in this case - xp/cxp/cq)

Also, having two seemingly logical sides to a debate doesn't mean that both sides COULD be correct.

So while bug hunt seems to be outside of the game's intent, it isn't outside the "letter of the law."
<Dead Wookiee Storage> Imp - StarForge/Satele Shan
<Babyslaughter> Pub - Star Forge
<SluisVanShipyards> Pub - Satele Shan
....and who doesn't like laughing babies?

SteveTheCynic
06.18.2019 , 12:10 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by TheMubarak View Post
What I'm asking for is a more clear and precise clarification "from a DEV" as to if this is an exploit or not BECAUSE other players are making the ASSUMPTION that it's not an exploit because the ability to do it hasn't been removed from the game. However, other players, like myself think it must be an exploit BECAUSE it's being "nerfed" over and over, in an attempt to stop players from "exploiting" it.
In the past, when something has been found and they judge that it is an exploit, and they don't (for whatever reason) have a fix immediately, they have announced here on the forums that it is considered to be an exploit. They *also* in those announcements said that anyone using it afterwards would be sanctioned. (In at least one cases, people who used it a little bit before the announcement were OK, while people who made major abuse of it were sanctioned as well.)

In this case, the immediate announcement was merely "we are aware of this, we are taking steps to mitigate it."

Conclusion: because they, in the past, have always made an immediate statement when something *is* an exploit, while in this case they have not made such a statement, therefore it is not an exploit.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

Keta
06.18.2019 , 12:10 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by TheMubarak View Post
I'm waiting for an actual member of the development team aka a DEV to respond and "clarify" this so we can end this debate clearly. Whichever direction this goes it only has two possible outcomes. Either this is an exploit that the DEVs are trying to patch a fix to, or it is not. But only a DEV can answer this and make this clear.
Odds are quite high that you're going to be waiting a long time. Being deliberately obtuse doesn't make the answer provided by a DEV any less real.
Yes, another referral link; click it or don't. Free stuff for you, free stuff for me.

Rion_Starkiller
06.18.2019 , 12:20 PM | #18
There's little point in responding to OP. He's already called us all trolls for not agreeing with him.

Good luck out there Mub. Life is complicated with a lot of gray area. Not everything is black and white.
-Beruhl
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Lies have been corrected.

robertthebard
06.18.2019 , 01:17 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
Keith didn't call it an exploit because, in the common definition of an exploit being a thing outside the rules of the game (item duping, credit production, etc.), it isn't one. It's "fixed" because they didn't mean for it to be like that, but by not calling it an exploit, he's essentially saying "there will be no repercussions against people who used it".

People get long suspensions or total bans for using actual exploits, and nobody is getting anything for this, therefore it's not an exploit.
Actually, an exploit is doing something that is not intended. That they had plans to fix this in the works already means that it wasn't working as intended, as someone has pointed out already, you don't fix it if it isn't broken. Is this a game breaking, bans will be issued exploit? Nope, not worth the time it takes to type about it actually, but it was an exploit of the game mechanics. How many "They fix things that benefit players" posts have you seen in regard to this? There are a few in the other thread, and probably in any other threads too. This is the first argument that comes out when people know they're doing something shady, and it gets fixed.

However. This hasn't got anything to do with why they fixed it. They fixed it because Conquest is now tied directly to XP gain, and so, to keep that from being exploited, they fixed it.
Quote: Originally Posted by Transcendent View Post
Also, just a small point. Why should anyone who plays this game exclusively for any particular type of content, have to run a different type of content just to earn gear? What is that attitude all about?

SteveTheCynic
06.18.2019 , 01:27 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by robertthebard View Post
Actually, an exploit is doing something that is not intended. That they had plans to fix this in the works already means that it wasn't working as intended, as someone has pointed out already, you don't fix it if it isn't broken. Is this a game breaking, bans will be issued exploit? Nope, not worth the time it takes to type about it actually, but it was an exploit of the game mechanics. How many "They fix things that benefit players" posts have you seen in regard to this? There are a few in the other thread, and probably in any other threads too. This is the first argument that comes out when people know they're doing something shady, and it gets fixed.

However. This hasn't got anything to do with why they fixed it. They fixed it because Conquest is now tied directly to XP gain, and so, to keep that from being exploited, they fixed it.
The edges of "exploit" are a bit fuzzy (and we are in danger of getting into a pointless argument about definitions), but in the context here, it's clear that OP means the "bannable thing" type of exploit, and it's equally clear that this thing is *not* a bannable thing, and it's equally equally clear that they aren't going to offer a definitive "no it isn't".
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.