Flirting with Desire

Rhyys

I've never posted here before and thought I'd give it a shot. On Tmblr and FF.net I'm known as Sirius Ordo. On AO3 this story is archived under tpdlady306.

A/N: This takes place directly after you finish the trooper quest “Return to Duty” on Tattoine. As K’agan was flirting with Balkar, my husband came up behind me and said, “You’re doing that on purpose, to make Jorgan jealous.” I grinned. Of course he was right! That got me to thinking about what would happen next back on the ship and this fic is the result. Hope you enjoy!

This is unbeta’d and all mistakes are mine.

Warning: This is smut! If you don’t like, don’t read! You’ve been warned.

Flirting with Desire

Since I don't know how to delete this thread I am removing the text and instead I'll give you a link to the first chapter. If you decide to click the link it will take you to fanfiction.net The first chapter is smut. You've been advised.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/11343608/1/Flirting-with-Desire

Edited by Rhyys
To conform to community standards

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, after I posted this I realized it might violate Community standards but I've got no idea how to take it down. Instead I included a link to the fiction. Its no longer directly on this board. Edited by Rhyys
I fixed the issue.

The next chapter in this story. It is not necessary to read the first chapter, to understand the second. No sexual content. Some violence but its Biowares violence, so yeah.

A/N: I’ve played through the Gauntlet before, both on male and female characters. Ironically, my other female character, Skye’ash elected to send Dorne to the bridge, so she didn’t face the repercussions of Aric getting hurt. I’ve always wondered how a female trooper involved with Aric, would react to his injuries on the Gauntlet. I even asked Alaurin101 if she had written the scene yet. At that time she hadn’t gotten to it yet.

I’ve been very unhappy with Bioware’s depiction of a female trooper’s reaction to his injuries. I get that during the mission she would have to hold it together and get her team to safety; afterwards she would be allowed to fall apart. Instead all we see are a cut scene of the escape where one of the response options to Numenn is a joke about partying and later we see Aric rolling around on a bed in the med bay in full armor. Really?! Full armor for someone who was just critically injured and stabilized on the Gauntlet. Don’t think so.

I finally decided to explore it myself. Recently, it was K’agan’s turn to run the Gauntlet. Sigh. Because it made the most sense mission wise, she decided to send Jorgan and 4X to get the data from the Bridge. This is her reaction to the end of the mission.

This has grown to monsterous proportions, 34 pages and counting. I decided to break it down into more manageable pieces. It’s not quite down yet but I’m still working on it and hopefully it will be done soon. I thought I’d go ahead and post this first part.

Chapter 2 –The Gauntlet

“Captain, its Jorgan. Big trouble up on the bridge.”

A feeling of cold dread filled my stomach when I heard those words.

“We got the data but Imperial reinforcements just showed up out of nowhere. A lot more than we can hold off.”

The dread turned into a full-fledged knot in my stomach. While I was glad they got the data it wouldn’t be worth losing one of them...losing Aric. No!! Can’t think that way! Especially not now!

“Are the bombs planted, can we pull out?”

Damn! He sounded almost panicked. Aric never panics. I can’t lose him.

“We’re done here. Dorne take Yuun and cover Jorgan and Fourex—we’ll rendezvous aboard the ship.”

“Right away Captain,” Dorne replied. “Let’s move out Sergeant!”

“We’ll meet you back aboard the ship sir, Jorgan out.”

‘Gods, I hope so,’ I prayed silently. I’m not sure what I do if I lost Aric. Since I took command of Havoc Squad, he’s always been at my side. Even when he was angry and bitter, for justifiable reasons, he still taught and supported me. He’s always had my back and our relationship has grown from co-workers, to friendship to something much more. I can’t lose him!

Vik and I took off for the ship. We met some Imperial resistance along the way but we made short work of them and kept going. This operation was quickly disintegrating around us. We needed to get everyone aboard the Thunderclap and get out of here!

We were almost there! As we rounded the last corner, I looked up and saw something in the corridor. Fourex was just ahead…it looked like he was standing guard. We ran closer. Oh gods!! This wasn’t happening! No, no, no NO! Dorne and Yuun crouched over Aric lying on the floor. He was so still…too still! That’s when I noticed the pool of blood that the pair was kneeling in…too much blood. It was all I could do to keep myself together. I wanted to run to his side and pull him into my arms, cry and fall apart but I couldn’t! I had to be there for my crew and get them off this doomed ship!

“Captain! It’s a great relief to see you well in spite of the extensive fighting.” said Fourex as we approached.

I couldn’t take my eyes off Aric. He was so still, it was scaring me. Was he alive? Please, let him be alive!?!?

“I’m afraid Jorgan sustained heavy injuries during our retreat from the bridge,” Fourex informed me.

‘Keep breathing,’ I had to remind myself as Fourex spoke.

“Despite my efforts to absorb enemy fire, he refused to give up his portion of the fight,” I didn’t hear the rest of what Fourex said through the ringing in my ears.

Damn it Aric! That’s what Fourex is for! We may all care about the droid but in the end he’s expendable and you’re not! Damn your pride!

“Full situation report,” I managed to order around the lump in my throat, “What’s Jorgan’s status?”

Thank goodness for my full face helmet. It hid the tears streaking down my cheeks, though nothing could hide the worry from my voice.

“I’ve stabilized him for now sir,” Elara told me.

I almost shook with relief. Aric was alive!

“But the wounds would certainly have been fatal if Fourex had not gotten him to me so quickly,” she continued. “Jorgan is lucky to be alive.”

Now to keep him that way!

“Stay with him and keep me updated on his status,” I told Elara.

“Of course Captain,” she answered.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. We weren’t out of the wood yet but Elara would do all she could for Aric.

“Can we talk about this later?” Vik interrupted.

The Weequay could be a pain in my ***.

“I need to set those charges off and we shouldn’t be sitting in the hanger bay when I do.”

But sometimes he’s right!

“Let’s get moving! Double time it!”

We need to get off this ship! Dorne and Yuun carefully pick up an unconscious Aric in a fireman’s carry and take him down the corridor and into the airlock to the ship. Looking at the puddle of blood, I’m nearly sick. I have to remind myself that Elara did her job and my XO is still alive. Taking a deep breath, I center myself and reach down, picking up Aric’s assault cannon, which had been left behind. I leave his ruined, bloodstained armor lying on the deck. With the large blaster holes in the chest piece, it isn’t salvageable. I sigh and manage to hold the tears back. Without a word Vik follows in at my side and we head for the ship.

“Yuun will see that the ship is prepared for launch. Once we are clear of the Gauntlet we can contact Admiral Helik with a situation report,” Yuun reported over comms.

We were aboard and I headed for the bridge. My worry was nearly overwhelming but I didn’t have time to stop by med bay and check on Aric. We needed to get everyone out of here.

“Attack group, this is Havoc. Objective complete. All ship evacuate to minimum safe distance,” I ordered.

I piloted the ship away from the Gauntlet as Vik set off the explosives.

“Boom.”

As we fly away on the Thunderclap the other ship exploded around us.

“Target destroyed. Repeat, the Gauntlet is destroyed!” reported Admiral Numenn.”All ships disengage and proceed to the rendezvous four-seven for refueling. Havoc, return to General Garza on Coruscant for debrief.”

I couldn’t help but wonder if the cost of success would be too high for me personally.

“I’ll proceed to Coruscant immediately Admiral,” I responded.

The need to head in, almost went without saying, I needed to get Aric to a full medical center stat!

“The Empire’s greatest weapon has been destroyed. Congratulations Havoc! Numenn out.”

I entered the coordinates for Coruscant into the nav-computer and we made the jump to hyperspace. I leaned back in my chair, closed my eyes and tried to relax. It wasn’t working. Though, my crew had done the impossible and now we were headed in for debrief, the worst was still in front me…Aric. I wouldn’t relax until my XO was out of danger and on the mend.

Standing, I turned and head for the exit, stopping in the archway. Looking at Vik, I said, “Great job. Now go relax.”

Nodding his head, he said, “You to boss.”

I quickly made my way down the stairs and into my cabin. Shutting the door behind me, I threw mine and Aric’s weapons into a corner. I’d take them to the armory later. He’d forgive me for it eventually but with the mission complete and the rest of the crew safe, he came first. I quickly stripped off my armor and threw it into the locker, leaving me standing in a long sleeved shirt and pants that I always wore under my armor. Grimacing, I pulled the sweat soaked clothes off and tossed them into the nearby hamper and glanced towards the ‘fresher. I’d dearly love a quick shower but my need to see Aric was weighing heavily on me.

In the end I decided I needed to be clean before heading to the med-bay, I jumped and washed off, scrubbing the grime from my body and washing the sweat from my hair. I toweled off and got dress in a clean, dove grey short sleeved shirt and matching light pants. I was glad my long hair in corn rows I didn’t need to take the time to do it. Sitting on my bed, I pulled a thick pair of socks on; the metal decks were cold, before heading for the door. I pulled it open and started towards the med-bay on the other side of the room.

As I passed the holo-terminal I heard Dorne say, “We’re losing him!”

Edited by Rhyys
Add detail

Another chapter. Let me know what you think!

A/N: I left you on a little bit of a cliffhanger on the last chapter. We move forward a little bit in this one. Plus K'agan has a few revelations. Hope you enjoy it and let me know what you think!

Chapter 3

For once I cursed the fact that the Captain’s quarters were soundproof, both inside and out. Biting my lip in worry, I ran towards the med-bay and quietly slipped inside, taking a spot against a wall, out of the way. I didn’t want to disturb Elara or Yuun from their work. Though their concentration was so intense on their task I’m not sure they would have noticed me either way.

The room was utter chaos. The pair was working together to try and save our XO. Equipment was strewn about the room, other instruments were beeping or making other noises I didn’t recognize, lights were flashing and the floor was covered with discarded bloody bandages. What was left of Aric’s armor had been removed and was tossed in a corner and the clothes he usually wore underneath had been cut off his body and tossed on top.

The sight of Aric, my best friend and my lover, drove the air from lungs and filled my blue eyes with tears. He was lying on the medical table, naked, with a light sheet covering his lower half. Blood had soaked through the white sheet marring it in a few places. A tube was down his throat and I could hear a machine breathing for him. His chest and one arm were covered in blood soaked bandages. The worst by far and the most concerning the heart rate monitor and the sound of Aric’s erratic and failing heartbeat. This was currently the focus of the medics in the room.

Suddenly the beat was replaced by one long, flat, steady tone…

I forgot how to breathe as tears streaked down my cheeks. I couldn’t lose him. He’s been at my side since the beginning, since Ord Mantell. I’m not sure how I’d do this without him. I’m not sure I could.

“He’s flat lined!” Elara shouted, as she picked up a hypo-spray.

From my place along the wall, I couldn’t see what Yuun was doing on the other side of the table and I was so upset I couldn’t understand what he was saying.

“Charging, charging,” I heard a metallic voice say, “Shocking…stand clear,” I could see Elara and Yuun’s hands go up and the voice continued, “Shocking in 3…2…1.”

I watched as Aric’s body arched up and off the table as the electric shock coursed through his body and tried to re-start his heart. I slid down the wall in shock and sat on the floor, my knees drawn up to my chest. After a few seconds his body relaxed and laid back on the table. For an anxious few seconds all motion in the room stopped and we waited to see if the shock was successful.

As time ticked away and the tone continued Dorne started moving again and slapped the hypo-spray to Jorgan’s neck. Yuun was on the other side assisting the medic and I sat on the floor, my heart in my stomach, as I watched to see if my world was about to shatter into pieces I’d never be able to put back together.

I heard the hiss of another hypo-spray, just as the voice started again. “Charging, charging,” it said. “Stand clear…shocking…stand clear…shocking in 3…2…1.”

Again Aric’s body arced off the table. I couldn’t watch anymore and buried my head in my arms. I started crying, my shoulders shaking with my sobs as the long tone continued. I was losing him…

“Damn!” I heard Elara curse. The former Imperial woman never curses! “Jorgan do not quit on me now damn it!”

I refused to look up. I couldn’t look at his dead body lying on the table. Lifeless…gone. I couldn’t believe this was happening. My heart shattered. He was gone…he left me here alone…

I heard the hiss of another hypo-spray and Elara saying, “One more time! Come on Jorgan you’re too stubborn to go out like this!”

“Charging…charging,” The voice started again, “Stand clear…shocking in 3…2…1.”

With my head buried in my knees I heard but didn’t see Aric’s body arc off the table. After the shock finished we all waited with bated breath for Aric’s heart to start beating. After a few long, tension filled moments I realized our hope was for naught. He was dead.

When reality hits me I start gasping for air. This is too much. He’s gone. My best friend…my lover…my mate. Oh stars! My mate! I can’t breathe! He was my mate, my other half was gone and I never got the chance to tell him!

I can’t do this alone! My body starts to shake as I cry out my pain. I’ve never lost someone under my command before and to have the first be Aric is more than I can deal with.

My lungs scream out at the lack of oxygen. I continue to struggle to breath. Maybe it’s better this way, if I never breathe again. I jump when a paper bag is thrust into my hands.

“Breathe into the bag Boss,” said Tanno, indicating the bag. I was so focused on my loss, I never even noticed the large Weequay walk into the room.

As I put the bag over my mouth and nose, I feel Vik push my head between my knees, “Easy, take slow deep breathes.”

I close my eyes and try to follow his directions, slowly breathing in and out. It all falls apart however, when I hear Yuun say, “Time of death?”

“No!” Elara answers, causing me to startle and glance up. “One more time!” Yuun starts to say something but Dorne cuts him off with a sharp look at me. “One more.”

After glancing in my direction, my computer tech says “Yuun agrees."

This time Elara picks up two hyposprays and injects both into Jorgan’s neck. She leans down and I barely hear her whisper in his ear, “You are not leaving her like this.”

Once again I hear the metallic voice start, “Charging…charging…stand clear shocking in 3…2…1.”

This time I watch as the body of the man I love arches off the bed one last time. Again we are forced to wait and see if the obnoxious tone changes. One moment turns into two and finally three before the tone changes!

“Beep……beep….beep,” the sound of Aric’s heartbeat fills the med-bay. For the first few second the beat is erratic before finally settling into a slow, weak beat but a BEAT! “Beep…beep…beep.”

Closing my eyes and lean my head back against the wall behind me. I gave quiet thanks to all the gods that may have helped save my mate. Taking a steadying breath I open my eyes. I am worn out! I’ve got no energy left. The preparation, battle, Aric’s injury and almost death, I’ve got nothing left.

“Knew he was too stubborn to die,” I heard Vic rumble above me. Without another word he turned and left the room.

After Vik joined the crew there had been problems. The Weequay had a bad attitude and lacked discipline. It was his serious lack of respect for authority that rubbed his rubbed his Cathar superior the wrong way. Most forms of discipline that Jorgan tried had little effect on Vik. He’d been dismissed from the Republic Military once and really didn’t care if it happened again. Plus he was well aware that the military need him this time, not the other way around. It all culminated in a showdown between the pair.

They finally came to blows when Tanno’s disrespect pushed Jorgan over the edge. Though the Weequay had size and brute force on the Cathar, Aric was quicker and much more controlled and focused in his attacks, making it a fairly even match up. The pair went toe to toe, exchanging punishing blows, each trying to hurt the other and end the fight. They were both bruised and battered when Aric managed to take the bigger man down and knock him unconscious. When he awoke, Vik was in the med bay and on report, again, but Jorgan had earned the big Weequay’s grudging respect.

Wrapping my arms around my bent legs, I rested my chin on my knees, and with my cheeks still damp with tears. I watched while Elara worked on my mate. My mate...that was something I was still trying to wrap my mind around. I did like the thought of sharing the rest of my life with him. A warm feeling filled my stomach at the thought.

I watched the pair work together. They prepped and cleaned their patient's wounds. Next Dorne applied kolto to his open wounds and bandaged them, injected various medications and ran an intravenous line for blood. Finally, they finished though Aric still looked dangerously wounded.

"I appreciate your help Yuun," Dorne said, as the Gann readied to leave.

"Yuun is most happy to be of service," he answered, as he left the med bay.

Grasping his hand as he walked by, I stopped him and said, "Thank you."

As he nodded his understanding and left the room, I watched as Elara as she continued to work. She checked all his bandages and double checked his vitals.

Finally finished, Elara came over and sat down on the floor next to me. She pulled up her legs and rested her arms on her knees. "I've done all I can for now," she said.

We sat quietly for a while, as I worked up the courage to ask. "How bad is it?"

"Bad. He took heavy damage," she answered, not mincing words. "He took three serious shots. He was hit full in the chest, a hit to the lower back and hip, and his left arm."

My eyes filled with tears again. I almost dreaded the answer to my next question. "Will he make it?"

"I won't lie to you sir," she said, a serious look on her face. "I don't know."

Tears started streaking down my cheeks again. I can't lose him.

"He is in very critical condition," turning back to look towards her patient. The sound of machines forcing air into his lungs filled our conversation. “He needs immediate surgery and a lengthy stay in a kolto tank.

Just looking at him, I knew he’d need a kolto tank. That wasn’t a surprise. Surgery wasn’t a surprise either but I worried that in his condition, Coruscant was too far away. “Should I call for a capital ship to come back and assist us?” I asked her urgently. “Or should we detour to a closer planet with a first class medical center?”

Studying her patient, I could see my medic consider all our options. Finally she shook her head, “No sir,” she answered, “Our best option is Coruscant. Waiting for a ship could take too long and Coruscant is closer and has the best doctors available anywhere.”

Looking at Dorne I wanted her to understand just how grateful I was for his life. "I just," I stuttered to a stop. Shaking my head I started over. "I just…I don’t know…” I tried again, “Thank you doesn’t seem to be enough.”

With a small smile, Elara replied, “You are most welcome.”

As we sat quietly, I propped my head on my arms. I couldn’t keep my eyes of Aric. I took comfort in watching his chest rise and fall and was reassured at the sound of his heartbeat on the monitor. He was still here with me!

My companion finally broke the quiet between us. “Permission to speak freely sir?”

“After everything,” I answered, “Granted, of course.”

“Did you fill out form 3578-K?”

I could feel my cheeks turn crimson red at the memory. Embarrassed, I hid my face in my knees. I had been assisting Dorne in the medical bay after a tryst with Aric. While putting a box away, my shirt had ridden up and the medic had noticed the bruises under my light colored fur, hand shaped bruises. She hadn’t asked about them or how they got there. Instead she suggested we fill out the form authorizing a relationship between crew members.

Cheeks still pink, I managed to look up and answer, “Yes, we did.”

“Good.”

“Good?” I question.

“Yes sir,” she said with a small smile, “If it was not obvious to crew before today, that the pair of you are involved, it is now.”

I couldn’t dispute that. My reaction to Aric’s injury was obviously more than that of a superior officer for someone under their command.

“Thank you for that by the way,” I told her, “I had no idea there was a form for that.”

“Again you’re welcome sir,” she said, as she stood. “Now, if you’re staying with Lieutenant Jorgan I really need to change and shower.”

Glancing up, I was shocked to realize that Elara was still in her full armor, minus her helmet. She had yet to get the chance to change or shower. She was a mess, worn, sweaty and tired. Her armor was blood streaked, with what I knew was Aric’s blood. My stomach plummeted at that thought. Finally realizing she was waiting for my reply, I said, “I don’t plan on leaving his side.”

“Then I shall go shower and change,” she said, “And I shall bring us both back something to eat.” With that she left me alone in the medical bay with Aric.

Stretching out my legs, I stood and walked over to the Aric’s bed. Pulling up a chair, I sat down next to him. From this close I could see the splotches of blood and bruises littering his exposed body. Keeping my eyes on his face, I tried to ignore the large white bandage covering his chest. I was afraid of what lay underneath it, afraid it would steal this man from me. If I looked at his face I could almost pretend. Almost… except the tube leading into his mouth, down his throat and into his lungs. It didn’t allow me to pretend, not for long…he could still leave me alone…

I gently touched his face and dragged my fingers tenderly across his cheek. “You can’t leave me. I have things I need to tell you. Important things,” I said, as the tears started again, “You’ve got to fight for me, please.” Leaning forward I kissed his cheek. “Live for me.”

I folded my arms on the bed, next to his prone body and laid my head down. I closed my eyes and just listened to his heart beat. Each one reassuring me he was still here…

Your chapters are well written, and while I'm not a big Aric/Trooper shipper, I find myself caring about the characters. In your last chapter you really captured what goes through the mind of a loved one during a medical emergency...the panic, fear, worry that you'll never get to say all you wanted, you got it all.

Nicely done. :)

Your chapters are well written, and while I'm not a big Aric/Trooper shipper, I find myself caring about the characters. In your last chapter you really captured what goes through the mind of a loved one during a medical emergency...the panic, fear, worry that you'll never get to say all you wanted, you got it all.

Nicely done. :)

Thank you! If I can make you care about characters that you don't usually care about, then I've done my job! :)

This is one of my favorite 'ships in SWTOR, so I was afraid I was to close to her pain, and as a consequence I was going over the top. I'm glad I got it right!

Last I appreciate the feedback! Thank you!!

Keeping my story line moving forward. This time we debrief with General Garza after the Gauntlet and we see K'agan's thoughts. :):) Reviews are appreciated!!

Chapter 4

During the flight I’d barely left Aric’s side, instead preferring to sit by his bed, watch his vitals and reassure myself he was still with me. I’d slept in the chair next to his bed and even taking my meals in the med bay, never daring leave…until now. With our arrival on Coruscant, I had to fly the Thunderclap and set it down in our landing bay. Afterward, I’d hurriedly put my armor back on. I was being forced to attend an immediate debrief with General Garza, Something I desperately did not want to do!

With a frustrated sigh, I sat back into my chair and placed my helmet on the floor next to me. I buried my face in my hands as tears stung my eyes. I didn’t want to leave him! I’d tried to get General Garza’s secretary to delay the debrief meeting but she refused. She had been unsympathetic stating, the General was unavailable later and this debrief was urgent and required.

“I will take care of him while you’re gone sir,” I heard behind me. Turning I found Elara standing there.

“I know,” I said, “I just…” and I trailed off. I trusted my medic. I knew she would do her utmost and take great care of my mate; it was just….I shook my head; I didn’t know how to explain.

“You are afraid,” as she crossed to her patient’s bed. “It is understandable,” she added, as she checked his vitals.

She was right. I was afraid. “What if…” I started again, “While I’m gone, what if…” I couldn’t actually voice the horrible thought.

Looking at me sharply, Elara said, “He won’t die! I won’t let him!”

With a sharp nod of understanding, “I know,” I agreed. I had no doubt that she would do all within her power to keep Aric alive. “I don’t want to leave him.”

“You couldn’t change the debrief time sir?”

“No,” I answered scowling. I didn’t tell her the secretary hung up on me.

“Well sir,” she said as she continued to prep Jorgan for the transfer to the medical center, “Go to the meeting. I’ll take care of the lieutenant and we will be waiting for you at the center when you are done. Hopefully by that time I’ll have some information for you.”

Taking a deep breath, I said, “Agreed.” Sitting forward, I silently took Aric’s hand and held it.

Having finished, Dorne started to walk out and said, “I’ll give you a moment sir.”

“Thank you,” I whispered, never taking my eyes off my man.

Once we were alone I whispered, “I’ve got to go meet with Garza for a debrief.” Squeezing his hand, “And they’re taking you to the med center. I’ll be there as soon as I can.” I kiss his knuckles, “Hang tough for me.” Standing up, I ignored the ventilator, leaned forward and kissed him on the cheek. “I need you. Don’t leave me.” I quickly ran my fingers down his cheek and turned away before the tears could start. Picking up my helmet I walked out and found Elara in the common area.

“Take care of him for me,” I told her as I headed for the ship’s entrance. “I’ll be there as soon as possible.”

“I will sir.”

I stopped at the entrance and put on my helm. Taking a deep breath I opened the door and stepped out. This just felt wrong. I wasn’t used to doing this alone anymore. Aric was always at my shoulder. I tried not to think about it and started down the ramp. I was climbing on my speeder when I heard a voice yelling at me.

“Hold up Boss.”

“Vik?”

“Can’t let you head out without back-up, sir” Vik said, as he joined me at the speeders. “Your Cathar would try and hand me my *** when he wakes up.”

I noticed that Tanno said when not if he woke. “He would,” I agreed, with a sad smile. “Let’s go, Specialist.”

Vik climbed on his machine and we took off for the Senate Tower. As I drove, my thoughts kept drifting off. Luckily this was a drive I had made too many times to count because I couldn’t keep my thoughts off my injured XO. I worried about him. Anything could happen. He was in bad shape and anything could hurt him, take him from me. I was so distracted, I was shocked to look up and realize we were outside the Senate Tower.

“We’re here Boss,” my demolition man said, as he dismounted.

Without a word, I quickly climbed off the bike; I secured it and headed inside. We made our way up to the second floor and General Garza’s office. I managed not to choke the unsympathetic secretary as we passed, instead giving her a quick nod, before walking into the General’s inner sanctum. Tanno stood quietly at my shoulder when Garza greeted me.

Captain, fantastic work. The Imperial Ministry of War is a firestorm over the Gauntlet’s destruction. The SIS says heads will roll over this quite literally.

That would be cold comfort for me if Aric doesn’t make it. I still worried this “victory” could carry a very heavy personal cost.

“It’s good to know our work paid off,” I replied, shrugging my shoulders.

“Havoc squad has accomplished a great deal under your command,” Garza complimented. “Your leadership and skill in conducting this ongoing operation have been exemplary. I’m promoting you to Major effective immediately.”

Pain stabs through my heart. Aric should be here for this! It was his hard work, as much as mine that got us here!

“Commensurate promotions will be issued for all your squad members as well. Congratulations Major,” General Garza said.

Though my heart is aching, I manage to keep my voice steady when I answer her.

“I’m honored to accept this promotion, General.”

“You’ve earned it. When presented with extraordinary circumstances you delivered extraordinary results.”

With Aric’s help. Gods! He should be here for this! We’ve been on this path together since Ord Mantell!

“I’m also recommending you for the Silver Crescent, in honor of the extraordinary valor you demonstrated in the attack on the Gauntlet superweapon,” the General added.

‘Extraordinary valor?!’ I questioned internally. I did what needed to be done to get my team out of there. Fourex and Jorgan were the brave ones, facing extreme odds on the bridge and still making it back!

I almost missed it as she continued, “In recognition of injuries sustained in the line of duty I’ve recommended Aric Jorgan for the Mark of Dedication. Assuming your approval.”

Finally! Something I agree with!

“I can’t think of anyone more deserving.”

Aric. My thoughts return to my injured XO. I needed to get out of here! As soon as possible!

“Excellent! I’ll submit the necessary paperwork right away.”

Good! He more than deserves it!

“Now, I’m afraid not all our news is positive.”

And the other shoe drops!

As she keyed something up, General Garza said, “We received the following holo-transmission not long after the Gauntlet was destroyed.” She presses a few more buttons and the image of an Imperial officer appears.

I try and keep my thoughts in this meeting and away from my worries over Aric. I needed to pay attention. Once he was awake and back to duty, he’d ask for the details of this meeting.

“Republic Command, I am General Rakton of the Imperial Ministry of War,” the image started.

Who was this guy?

You have made a grave error. By destroying the Gauntlet you have destroyed a weapon of peace – and the final hope your people had.”

What?!?! Weapon of peace –wasn’t that an oxymoron. Well, coming from a moron…

“Weapon of peace? That’s ridiculous!”

“This is only the beginning,” General Garza informs me.

Can’t wait to hear it!

“I had hoped that a device that removed the possibility of resistance would allow the Empire to achieve its great works without further bloodshed.”

Huh? That weapon insured more loss of life, at least on the Republic side and I guess that’s what’s important to Raktan.

The image continued, “But your actions have destroyed any hope for peace. I am forced to launch a campaign unlike any the galaxy has seen.”

Considering the horrors this galaxy has seen that’s saying a lot! This guy thinks an awful lot of himself!

“Your soldiers will be slaughtered,” Raktan said.

Now that concerns me!

“Your planets will burn. And your people will embrace the light of the Emperor’s will at last.” With that the image flickered out.

I don’t think so.

General Garza and I stood silently for a few long seconds, both thinking about what we just saw.

“Can Raktan back up these claims?” I finally ask her.

“He can and I have little doubt he will,” she says.

That is NOT reassuring.

“For years General Raktan has outmaneuvered and outwitted every Republic force that has stood in his way, including mine,” Garza said.

The general turns to look at me and continues, “The SIS is watching for any sign of Raktan’s new campaign. Until we have solid data, Havoc Squad is relieved. Rest, recuperate and be ready for my call. Dismissed Major.”

‘Thank the gods!’ I needed to get back to Aric’s side and didn’t waste any time heading for the door.

Just as I pulled it open I heard, “Major?”

Turning I looked back into the office at the general, “Yes, sir?”

“How is he?” she asked.

“Sir?”

“Captain Jorgan,” she explained, using his new rank, her concern evident. “How bad is it?” It was obvious she was not asking as his superior officer but rather as a concerned friend or associate.

Taking a deep breath and slowly releasing it, I tried to control my rampaging emotions, before answering her. “Bad, he took three hard hits,” I answered her honestly. “They were transferring him to Republic Medical during this meeting. I’m headed there now that we’re done.”

Surprised and curious, the older lady asked, “Why didn’t you holo me, Major? This meeting wasn’t that important, we could have changed the time.”

I was livid!! Turning I glared at the secretary sitting in the outer office. “I did call sir and explained the situation to your secretary,” I spat, “She refused to change the time and hung up on me!” If looks could kill, the woman would be dead in her office chair!

Striding across the room, the general stood with me in the door and said, “I’ll take care of it Major.” Glaring at the secretary, who was now slinking down in her chair, she added, “Don’t worry Major. This won’t happen again.”

“Thank you sir,” I said, as I walked for the hall door.

Again she stopped me at the door. “Take care of him Major.”

“I take care of my people sir,” I replied and started out.

“I know you do Major,” she assured me. With a small smile, the general said, “I received a copy of the form.”

Not knowing what to say to confirmation that General Garza was aware of our relationship, I said, “Yes sir.”

“He’s a good one,” she added as I walked out, Vik at my back.

At that moment I’m again glad I wore my helmet. It concealed all the emotions I was feeling, anger at the secretary’s actions, worry for Aric and the constant gnawing fear of his possible death, of losing him. “He is,” I agreed, a catch obviously in my voice.

I couldn’t get out of the building fast enough. I was tempted to jump off the second floor balcony, like I’d seen others do, but instead I continued down the hall and down the steps to the first floor. I didn’t need to injure myself in my haste to get to Aric. Almost on auto pilot I hurried out of the entrance and over to my waiting speeder bike. Vik and I climbed on and fired up their engines. Nodding at him, I turned the bike and sped off towards Republic Medical. I prayed this was a drive I never got used too.

Hi! Just wanted to pop in here and let you know that I've been enjoying this immensely! F! Trooper/Aric Jorgan is one of my favorite romances in the game......which is why I've got 2 F! Troopers that I'm writing about. Hell, I even found a romance for him in my M! Trooper's legacy. Urgh, I'm not looking forward to writing the Gauntlet aftermath for Mallay.....she's not going to handle that well.

Hi! Just wanted to pop in here and let you know that I've been enjoying this immensely! F! Trooper/Aric Jorgan is one of my favorite romances in the game......which is why I've got 2 F! Troopers that I'm writing about. Hell, I even found a romance for him in my M! Trooper's legacy. Urgh, I'm not looking forward to writing the Gauntlet aftermath for Mallay.....she's not going to handle that well.

Thank you! Thank you! When I first came back to SWTOR and the fandom I stumbled on to your stories! Loved them and even created my Tumblr account at first just to follow them. :)

Don't know if you read the author notes in chapter 2 but i mentioned you. :) I asked you a while back if you had written Mallay's reaction to Aric's injuries on the Gauntlet and you hadn't gotten to it yet. I was jonesing bad for more than Bioware gives us. Sooooo...in the end I'm writing it!

Anyway, glad that you are enjoying it. Considering how much i like Mallay/Aric and the Lauren sisters in general I'll take that as a very high compliment.

Edited by Rhyys

A/N: This is being written as one long story. As a consequence, sometimes it’s hard to figure out where to break it if there isn’t a natural one. This was one of those times. Sigh. Ah, well let me know what you think.

Chapter 5

We weaved in and out of pedestrians and dodged traffic on the way to the hospital. Tanno started cursing over comms when a speeding cab nearly hit him at an intersection. He swerved and the cabbie missed him. Lucky for the other driver he was already out of reach of Vik’s tech blade or it could have gotten really ugly.

When we parked the speeders, I got off and said to my squad mate, “We’re relieved of duty. You can head out and have some fun.”

“Sure thing boss,” he said with a small smile while gunning the speeder’s engine. “Let me know if anything changes with Jorgan.”

“Will do,” I said, “Don’t get into any trouble I can’t bail you out of,”

“Ahhh Boss,” he replied with an evil smile, “What’s the fun in that.” He turned and rode away, leaving me standing alone outside the medical center.

As I approached the building the huge glass door whooshed open automatically. I strode in and started across the large foyer. The walls of the first floor were solid glass allowing natural light in but tinted against any hazardous glare. A large glass sculpture stood in the center of the room and the area around the display was filled with plush chairs and benches, a few of which were occupied. The floor appeared to be some kind of large, black granite slabs. On the far wall a desk sat in front of a bank of elevators. I approached the droid behind the desk and said, “I’m looking for Aric Jorgan.”

“Friend, family or other?” the droid asked mechanically.

I wasn’t sure why the droid needed to know and I wasn’t sure exactly how to answer that, we weren’t family but we were definitely more than friends. “I don’t know other I guess.”

“Nature of the request,” it next asked, “Business or personal.”

I gritted my teeth and barely kept myself from snarling at the droid. I had to work hard to suppress the urge to pull my gun and blow the droid’s head off. “Both,” I bit out.

That seemed to confuse the droid and it just sat there processing the information. Just as I stepped around the desk, I heard Elara’s voice, “Over here sir.” I looked to the elevator and saw her just inside the first one, holding it open for me.

“Stupid droid,” I said, as I walked away.

“Excuse me,” it said, almost sounding affronted.

The door shut as Elara pushed a button for the appropriate floor. We stood silently as the car started and swiftly headed up. Finally the car stopped, the door opened and we stepped out on to a busy floor. Doctors, nurses and droids were heading in different directions. As we approached a long hall lined with doors, Elara said, “There is a waiting room just down the hall on the left, where we can talk.”

Without a word I headed in the direction she indicated. A few meters along the hall was a large room, inside was some cushy couches, tables, chairs and along a far wall a caffa machine and assorted vending machines. Sitting down on a couch, I reached up, unlatched my helm and removed it. I sat it down on the floor next to me. With a soft sigh, I ran my hands over the rows in my hair and down my face. I was worn out and exhausted, with no end in sight.

Elara sat down in the chair to my left and without preamble said, “He crashed when we got here.”

I was glad she waited to drop that news on me until I was sitting down. Otherwise it would have brought me to my knees. I still forgot how to breathe and my eyes filled with tears yet again. I could feel my hands start shaking in my lap. The little voice in my head started chanting, ‘He can’t be dead, he can’t be dead, he can’t be dead,’ over and over again. I couldn’t say anything, not even to ask the dreaded question.

Laying a gentle hand on my shoulder my medic said, “Breathe Captain. In and out,” she said, “In and out.” As I started breathing again, “Just like that.”

“Is he…” I couldn’t finish. I wouldn’t finish it. I refused to even consider the possibility that he was gone.

“Don’t worry he’s alive sir,” she answered, “He crashed but they stabilized him and brought him up here to prep for surgery.”

I released the breath I didn’t even know I was holding, in a rush of air and slid down on the couch. I wasn’t sure how much more of this I could take. “What happened?” I asked, “How’s he doing now?”

“Well,” she hesitated and looked away, “I am not sure.”

“What?” I questioned, sitting up in my chair. Why didn’t the medic for Havoc Squad, the person that provided our medical care, knew our medical history and most importantly the reason Aric made it to Coruscant, have information on his status?

The unflappable blonde woman almost looked embarrassed as she said, “I was speaking to a nurse in Lieutenant Jorgan’s room.”

I interrupted her. “Captain Jorgan now but go ahead Lieutenant,” I said, stressing her new rank.

“Thank you sir,” she said brightly. “As I was saying, I was speaking to a nurse in the Captain’s room, when we were interrupted by a doctor.” Her face grew darker and less than pleased. “He was young but at the time he outranked me. He said something about Imperial traitors treating Republic soldiers and kicked me out of the room. He has refused to give me any information on Captain Jorgan since.”

I quickly stood up I almost bumped heads with Dorne. She silently sits back and watches me begin passing the room, back and forth, from one end to the other. She wisely says nothing and allows me to pace. I’m angry. No, I zoomed past angry to livid! I’m sick and tired of people questioning Elara’s loyalty and integrity. She’s in the top spec forces squad in the Republic for a reason, damn it! To question her integrity is an insult and I am not tolerating it.

I am across the room, near the bank of windows covering the far wall, when I hear the other woman finally say, “And here he is now.”

I turn sharply, just as a young human man in scrubs enters the room. The man is maybe my height, slim build, dark hair and brown eyes. He’s intelligent enough to look scared when I growl and start his way but not smart enough to run from the room. I’m into his personal space in three strides, blocking his possible exit from the room. “Who the hells do you think you are?” I snarl.

“Umm..Doctor Darkal Hamben, sir” he hesitantly answered. I have a hard time believing this fledgling doctor is in charge of Aric’s care.

“What gives you the right to treat my medic so poorly?”

His eyes quickly dart to Dorne before coming back to me and looking down. “She’s an Imperial sir,” he whispers.

“Was an Imperial Hamben,” I tell him, “Was.” I point at my medic. “Look at how she’s dressed. She’s wearing Republic armor embossed with the emblems of the top spec force squad in the Republic! Havoc squad!” My eyes had become blue slits as I empathized, “My squad! My people! And you WILL treat her with the respect she’s earned. She kept him alive and she’s the reason Captain Jorgan made it this far.”

“Yes sir,” he replies but I can tell he’s not happy about it.

“Now,” I said, watching the kid in front of me. “Captain Jorgan’s status and who is in charge of his care?”

At this the kid seems to draw himself up and he gives a small, almost evil grin. “I’m sorry sir,” he said, placing empathize on the sir, “I’m not at liberty to say.”

“What?” I growl and just manage to suppress the urge to do this kid bodily injury, though I do crowd further into his personal space.

Hamben took a step back, before answering, with almost glee, “All health information is deemed private and protected. It may only be released to his family.”

I take a step forward, closing the distance between us again, making him shrink back from me. “If and when Captain Jorgan is incapacitated I hold his medical proxy,” I informed the sniveling worm, “just as he holds mine.” Elara looks slightly surprised at the news, though she really shouldn’t be.

He isn’t done antagonizing me yet. “Well,” Hamben said, “we will need the appropriate paperwork on file with the medical center before we can release the details of the Captain’s care.”

That’s it! I’m about to snap. I glare at the kid and growl. Just as I am about to grab him, a new voice says, “Don’t provoke the commander of Havoc Squad Hamben. It doesn’t seem a wise course for your long term health.”

“Yes sir,” the kid returned, looking away from me.

I turned to look at the newcomer and didn’t miss the look Elara gave him. She took her time, looking at him from the top of his head all the way down to the boots on his feet. I’m sure the man couldn’t have missed it. He’s another human, wearing dark blue scrubs and a white jacket. Unlike Hamben he’s tall, towering over me, he was 1.91 meters at least. He’s muscled and well put together, with dark blonde hair, ice blue eyes and probably in his early thirties. He was a sexy package and I could see what grabbed my medic’s attention.

“Doctor Jayd Jeffre,” he said, while sticking a hand out.

I shook it. “I’m Major K’agan Kazik, commander of Havoc squad as you know.”

“Good to meet you,” he said, “Doctor Hamben is an intern under my direction.” He looked sternly at the younger man. “I will make sure he doesn’t bother your squad again,” he looks at Dorne, “And treats them with the respect they’ve earned.”

“Thank you doctor,” Dorne and I chorused, making him smile. I continued, “Captain Jorgan’s condition?

With a deep breath, all sense of good humor evaporated as Doctor Jeffre answered, “In one word, critical. We’re prepping him for surgery now.”

“What happened?” I ask.

Before he answered, Doctor Jeffre told the younger man, “Go check on the soldier in room 6.”

“Yes sir,” Doctor Hamben said, scowling at us.

“And Hamben,” the older man said, as the young doctor started to leave.

“Yes sir?” he questioned from the entry.

“Consider your actions soldier,” Doctor Jeffre added, “At this point they reflect badly on you and as my intern, on me. These women did nothing to earn the way you were treating them.”

The dark haired man looked towards the floor and answered, “Yes sir.” He left after shooting another nasty look my way.

Shaking his head, the blonde doctor mumbled something to himself but I couldn’t hear what it was. After a moment he looked at me, smiled and said, “Shall we have a seat?”

Without comment I sat back into the chair I had sat on earlier. Dr. Jeffre sat down on the couch next to me, and between Elara and me. Before I could ask he said, “As I said Lieutenant Jorgan is in critical condition.”

“Captain Jorgan,” I told him. “We were all recently promoted.”

The doctor noted the change in the file on his tablet and continued, “The short transport over was hard on his already stressed body. As a consequence, Captain Jorgan’s blood pressure plummeted and heart beat slowed.” At my obvious look of distress, he quickly tried to reassure me, “We took immediate action and got him stabilized.”

“What’s the underlying cause?” I asked.

“He has unchecked internal bleeding,” Jeffre answered, “Among a myriad of other problems. As the captain’s medical proxy, I have a question.”

“Do whatever it takes to save him,” I said, without hesitation.

“That was never in question. I despise losing patients on my watch!” he replied, deeply serious. “No, what I wanted to know was how you and the captain feel about cybernetics.”

“No amputations if anything can be done to save the limb,” I answered immediately, thinking of his arm. I didn’t remember how bad his arm was damaged, I had been more worried about his chest wound at the time but I knew Aric wouldn’t want it replaced with a cybernetic limb if he could avoid it.

Jotting down a note, Dr. Jeffre said, “I don’t think amputation will be necessary. Maybe some plates or screws, depending on if it’s broken and how bad but nothing more.” I sagged in my seat a little with relief, as he continued, “I was thinking internally. If his lungs, heart, kidney or spine are damaged, would he be opposed to cybernetics?”

My worry sky-rocked and I sat up ramrod straight in my chair. It was quiet for a very long moment before I replied, “Internally, cybernetics are fine. Externally, he’d prefer something that looked natural. No obvious enhancements.”

“I don’t think that will be a problem,” the doctor said as he added something to Jorgan’s file. He looked me in the eye and said, “I didn’t meant to scare you, I don’t even know if he’ll need cybernetic replacements, I just wanted to be prepared.”

Taking a breath, I released it slowly as I thought about this. As Jorgan’s commander, it made perfect sense to be prepared for anything, but as Aric’s girlfriend, I didn’t want to think about him that wounded. “I understand,” I said, though liking and understanding were two very different things.

Standing, Dr. Jeffre said, “We’ll be headed back to surgery shortly. I’ll have a nurse bring you update periodically.”

“Thank you Doctor Jeffre,” Elara said, looking up at the tall man with a smile.

“Just Jayd please,” he told her, returning the smile.

“Jayd, then please call me Elara,” she answered with a blush.

“Can I see him before you take him back?” as the pair smiled at each other.

“Yes,” the doctor said, with a soft smile for me. “Just follow me. I’ll take you back.”

I hastily stood and as I started to reach for my helm, I heard a voice say, “I’ve got it sir. Go with the doctor.”

“Thank you Elara.”

“No problem sir. I’ll be waiting here.”

Nodding, I followed Dr. Jeffre out the door and into the hall. I He walked a few meters down the hall before turning into a door on the right. I trailed behind him for a few more meters and a couple of turns until we came to a large sink.

“We need to wash up before I take you back to see Captain Jorgan,” he informed me, while turning the water on.

I pulled off my gloves and looked for some place to put them. Waving towards a stack of small lockers in the corner, Dr. Jeffre said, “You can put your stuff in there. Lock it and take the key with you.”

“Thanks,” I mumble, as I throw my gloves into the locker. Unlatching my bracers, I put each one in the locker and secure it, before rejoining the doctor at the sink. I took my time, washing my hands thoroughly.

As I was scrubbing between my fingers, the doctor said, “You should be prepared.”

“What?”

“Just be prepared,” he said, drying his hands, “It can be difficult to see those we care about injured.”

Grabbing a towel I started to dry my hands, as I thought back on those moments aboard the Gauntlet. I closed my eyes and worked to push the memories away before they made me cry again. My voice broke when I replied, “When I close my eyes I still see my crew kneeling in a pool of Aric’s blood, wondering if he was dead.” I suck in air as I try to reel my emotions in. I meet the doctor’s eyes, “I can handle this.”

“You’re more than likely right,” he grudgingly agrees, “There is just something about seeing a loved one in a medical bed, weak, injured and surrounded by machines keeping them alive. It hits unexpectedly hard.” He reaches for a door handle. “Ready?”

Steadying myself, I answer, “Yes. Ready as I’ll ever be.”

TBC

A/N: Another update! YAY! This one is a little shorter but I should have another on Monday or so. Enjoy!

Review and let me know what you think!

Chapter 5

He pulled the door in and we started in. The first thing to hit me is the sound of machines, the beep of the heart monitor and the hiss of the ventilator that kept him breathing, I was familiar with but there were other sounds mixed in I couldn’t identify. As we got closer it was the sights that overwhelmed me. The bed is surrounded by machines, so many it is hard to see it. I can’t count all the lines and leads hooked up to the figure in the bed. Worst, was how small and weak my usually tall and strong XO looked lying in that bed. The wind was knocked out of my lungs and I felt my knees give out. I would have fallen to the floor if I hadn’t felt a gentle hand grab my arm and steady me. He led me to the chair next to the bed and I sat down.

Looking up, I said, “Thank you.”

The doctor gave me a kind smile and replied, “You’re welcome. There’s just no way to be truly ready.” As I picked up Aric’s hand that’s lying on the bed, he adds, “I’ll give you a couple of minutes,” and stepped behind a curtain, giving me some privacy.

I clutched my mate’s hand tightly in both of mine. Leaning in I kissed his knuckles and pressed my cheek against them, as the tears streaked down my face. “I’m so sorry,” I whispered, “I shouldn’t have sent you.” Closing my eyes, I pressed a long second kiss to his knuckles and sat there quietly, relishing the fact that he was still with me.

A few minutes later Dr. Jeffre returned and said, “We need to take him to surgery.”

I nodded and stood up. Leaning over his bed, I did my best to ignore the ventilator, kissed Aric’s forehead and whispered in Catharese, “I love you. Don’t quit!”

Standing with a tender smile, I reached out and straightened a tuft of fur on Aric’s head. “Fight for us,” I added in our native language, “Stay with me please.”

Turning away from the bed, I signal the doctor by the curtain and say, “We’re ready.”

Signaling someone I can’t see, Jeffre says, “Take him down.”

A couple of nurses and techs rushed in and prepared to take Aric to the operating room. They unhooked leads and hooked things to the bed for transport. Before I know it they rolled the bed out of the area, on to an elevator and out of sight.

I was still looking in the direction that Aric had disappeared, when I heard the doctor say, “I’ll take care of him for you.”

Startled, it takes me a second to respond, “What….oh thank you. I know you’ll do your best.” I still can’t tear my eyes away from the elevator, like if I keep watching he’ll come walking back, whole and healthy.

“Does Command know?”

“What?” I ask, surprised yet again by the voice asking me questions.

“Does Command know about your relationship with Captain Jorgan?”

Chagrined I looked at the doctor, blushed and said, “That obvious?”

With a chuckle, he answers, “Oh yeah, if someone is actually looking.”

Still blushing, “We are usually more discrete.”

“I’m sure.”

As my blush starts to fade, I looked back at him and said, “And yes we filed the appropriate paperwork with Command.”

“Good,” said Dr. Jeffre, “I wouldn’t like to see you in trouble,” with another kind smile he asks, “Can you find your way back to the waiting room?”

“Yes,” I reassured him. “Just go take care of my XO.”

“He’s in the best hands,” he heads for the elevator and pushes the button. The doors open and he steps on it.

Just before they close the doctor adds, “I promise.”

“I know,” I whispered, as I started back to the waiting room.

On the way I picked up my gloves and bracers. I carried them, not bothering to put them on and continue on my way. Once back to the waiting room, I dropped in the chair I previously occupied and grab my helmet. I stuffed my other armor pieces in it and put the whole thing back on the floor. I leaned back in the chair and rubbed my face with both hands. I’m beyond exhausted and the day is just starting.

“You should get some rest sir,” Elara said from her spot on the couch next to me.

I shake my head, “I can’t.”

“I’ll stay here sir.”

“I can’t.”

“You have not slept in over twenty four hours, that I am aware of sir,” she argued.

“You don’t understand, I can’t!” I said, getting frustrated.

“Sir?” she asked, obviously confused.

“I can’t…,” my voice broke and I shook my head, “Not now I can't talk about it.

Elara considered pushing the issue but decides to say instead, "Sir, at least go back and change, get out of that armor." She can see me considering the idea and she adds, "If you can't sleep, at least get something to eat, "You can't afford to wear yourself down and get sick, sir."

Leaning back in the chair, I ran one hand across my braids in my hair and said, "You'll let me know if you hear anything?"

"Of course, sir."

"Ok," I say, giving in with a sigh. "I'll go change and grab a bite to eat. Do you want something?"

"No thank you sir," Elara replies. "I'll get something when you come back."

Picking up my helmet, I stood and headed back for the elevator. After it arrived, I get in and push the button for the first floor. Lucky for me, it didn’t stop on any other floors and it was a quick ride down. I walked past the greeting droid without a word and continue out the main doors. I jump aboard my waiting, turn it on and gun the engine, before taking off.

Instead of heading for the space port and the Thunderclap, I made a left and started towards my family’s apartment. My family owns TransInterStellar Shipping, a company that deals in intergalactic trading and shipping. Originally my grandparents started the company to allow Cathar settlements easier access to off world products. Over the years the company has grown and expanded to be one of the largest and wealthiest shipping companies in the known galaxies.

Our home base has always been on Corellia, where I was born and raised, though my family kept a number of apartments scattered across the galaxy, including one on the Republic’s capital world. My father always said it helped with business to be able to entertain at our own home but my siblings and I always believed they kept various apartments because my mother refused to stay in a hotel. I still believe it’s the later. In either case, it was beneficial to me to have a place to stay while on Coruscant.

After a short flight through heavy traffic, the large glass building and private landing pad come into sight. I set my speeder down, shut it off and pull off my helmet. For a moment I sit on the bike and admire the breath taking views. This building and our apartment are so high up just about the only thing visible above me is the sun. I can see the traffic flying around below me and as far as the eye can see in almost any direction. Plus the light reflecting off the glass of various buildings, dwellings and skyscrapers creates a beautiful tableau.

I am well aware the higher the space on Coruscant the more expensive it is and the higher the “class” of citizen living there. While there was no official caste or class structure in the Republic, the unofficial one could be just as stifling for people just trying to get by. I hated that. It was one of the main reasons I joined the military, against my family’s wishes. I wanted to make a difference in this universe and the army seemed a way to do it. It also made my mother nuts but that’s another story.

A/N: Another piece of the story and this time we meet a member of K'agan's family.

Chapter 6

“Miss K’agan it is good to have you home,” said C2-P6, our caretaker droid for this dwelling. He was similar in build to C2-N2, the droid that took of the Thunderclap, but a much more advanced and competent model.

“Hey P6,” I replied swinging a leg over my speeder. “Is anyone staying here right now?” I wasn’t sure I was up to a run in with my mother right now.

I carried my helmet under one arm, as he walked inside with me. The white droid answered promptly, “Miss K’eegan has been staying here for the last week.”

My sister or more exactly one of my littermates and my one sibling that makes my mother more nuts than I do! Smiling now, I asked the droid, “How is my she?” as the glass door slides shut behind us.

“She seems to be doing well,” the droid answered, “the young mistress has been spending her time with a human.”

“P6! She knows Corso,” K’eegan said as we entered the large living area. “And he is part of my crew, so why shouldn’t I spend time with him?”

“Yes Mistress,” the droid dutifully answered.

“K’agan!” my sister greeted as she threw her arms around me in a tight hug. “I didn’t expect to see you here!”

Returning the greeting, I wrapped my free arm around my littermate. Burying my face in her unbound hair, I said, “I missed you sis.”

I could hear the smile in her voice as she replied, “I missed you too!” After a moment she held me at arm’s length and seemed to study me. Her smile faltered and she had a puzzled look on her face when she asked, “You look exhausted. What’s wrong?”

I never could hide anything from her, my brothers yes but never K’eegan. I really, really didn’t feel like telling her about Aric and what happened to him, so I tried, “Nothing, nothing everything’s good.”

That confirmed it for her. “I know when you’re lying to me K’agan,” she admonished me. “You can lie to Mom and Dad and sometimes to K’addes and K’ye but never to me. I know you. What’s going on?”

At that moment I was saved by a voice, coming from around the corner, “K’eegan who’s here?”

I smile because I’m saved from my nosy sister’s questions for the time being. “Hey Corso.” I met the young human on Ord Mantell after my sister’s ship was stolen.

A tanned, dark-haired male came around the corner, stepped up behind my littermate and wrapped an arm around her waist. He was only slightly taller than us. He had a slim build and chocolate colored eyes. Reaching out with a free hand, he said, “K’agan! It’s good to see you again!”

“You too,” I said, shaking the offered hand. My eyes went to the limb wrapped around my sister’s middle.

“I forget just how much you look alike,” he added, as he looked me over again.

“We aren’t just littermates,” K’eegan explained with an indulgent smile, “We’re identical twins.”

Nodding his head, Corso said, “I remember,” tightening his grip when she leaned into him. I blinked back tears as the sight brought up the memory of Aric’s arms around me.

K’eegan didn’t miss the rapid blinking, “K’agan?”

I waved it off, “Later,” I managed to say. The look she gave me said she would hold me to it.

“Is Aric with you?” Corso asked, looking behind me for my Cathar companion. Aric and Corso had become acquaintances and later friends as we journeyed from Ord Mantell to Coruscant.

This time I couldn’t stop the tears from streaking down my cheeks but I was to choked to say anything.

“What is it?” my sister asked, concerned for me. Taking my hand she led me to a nearby couch. Corso was frozen in his spot across the room. “P6,” she called out.

“Yes Miss K’eegan,” the droid replied, as it tottered back into the room.

“Bring us a couple bottles of water please,” she asked.

“Right away,” P6 answered, as he turned and walked out again.

Looking back at me, my sister ordered, “Now tell us what’s going on. Something’s happened to Aric?”

No longer able to delay this conversation I said, “He was critically injured during an operation.”

A look of horror and sympathy crossed my sibling’s face, as she said, “Oh K’agan! No!”

“Dorne stabilized him and we brought him back to Coruscant for treatment,” I explained, before finishing in a rush, “He’s in surgery right now. Elara is at the hospital and I came home to change out of my armor.”

My sister just leaned in and pulled me into a hug. I buried my face in her neck and just let myself cry. I was so worried for Aric, for my mate and for a moment it overwhelmed me. Eventually, I sat up and K’eegan gently grasped my head with both her hands. With the pad of her thumb she wiped away my tears. “You can’t give up hope,” she said, as continued to wiped my tears, “Aric is to pig-headed and stubborn to die.”

I laughed through what was left of my tears. Aric and my twin had a rocky relationship. He was a little to “by the book” for her taste and she wasn’t pleased with how he treated me on Ord Mantell. As he proved himself and always had my back, he earned her respect and eventual friendship. “I know you’re right,” I told her, “It’s just hard to see him so hurt.”

K’eegan glanced at Corso and with the look I knew she understood exactly how hard it was for me to see Aric injured. Finally with a soft look of understanding, she said, “Go change out of your armor and grab a bag. We’ll be ready to leave in ten minutes or so.”

“What?” I ask, puzzled.

“You don’t think we’ll let you go back to the medical center alone do you?” my sister asks.

“I’ll be fine,” I try and reassure her. “I have no idea how long he’ll be in surgery.

“Maybe you should catch a nap then,” K’eegan decided. “After, we can go back to the med center. I’m assuming Elara is there?”

“Yes, she is but I’m fine. I don’t need a nap,” I answered, crossing my arms across my chest. I was slightly exasperated with everyone trying to get me to sleep.

My littermate actually snorted at me in response. “You may be able to sell that load of crap to everyone else but I’m your twin and I know better.” She mirrored me and crossing her arms and returning my glare.

“I can’t,” I started but K’eegan just raised an eyebrow and continued to scowl at me. With a sigh I gave in, “Fine!” I said, petulantly. “Two hours, no more and then we head to the med center and check on Aric,” I bargained.

“Three and Corso will check in with Elara.”

“Have it your way,” I said, “Don’t think I’ll be able to sleep,” I added. Standing up and heading for my room, “But if anything changes with Aric you’ll wake me up immediately.”

“Agreed,” K’eegan answered with a smile.

I walked into my room and shut the door behind me. I was pleased to find it exactly how I left it last time I was here. One wall was covered in floor to ceiling windows, giving me a beautiful view of the sun rising in the mornings. The wall directly across from the windows was dominated by a massive and luxurious bed. It had an enormous black wood headboard and gorgeous purple bedspread. A dark wood night stand stood on each side of the bed. Books were stacked on one, while a picture of her family sat on the other. A matching, dresser with mirror sat next to the door. On the far wall was a dark wood desk and bookcase. A computer terminal was on the desk and it was covered with papers strewn about. A large easel stood in front of the bank of windows with a half completed painting sitting on it.

Two large paintings, by a well-known Corellian artist, decorated the walls. The artist was never seen in public and the artist’s agent had thus far refused all offers for appearances. Speculation in the art community ran rampant. Everything from the name was a pseudonym for another famous artist (anyone asked denied it) to the possibility that the painter suffered horrific wounds in the war and was a hermit. No one really knew.

I sat down on the bed and pulled off my boots, tossing them into a corner. The rest of my armor quickly followed. It was horrible but I knew Corso would care for it and P6 would put it away. I took off the tight pants and shirt I wore under my armor and tossed them in the hamper. I pulled on a gray academy t-shirt and a pair of black shorts and slipped into bed. Contrary to what I thought, I was asleep before my head it the pillow.

A/N: Sorry this took longer to get out. Real life got me sidetracked. Hopefully you enjoy it! Let me know what you think!!

Chapter 7

“Aric!!”

“K'agan wake up!”

“Aric!” I screamed, as I sat bolt upright in bed.

I was soaked in a cold sweat and the wet sheets were sticking to me.

“K'agan,” I heard my sister say. She was sitting on the edge of the bed. “You’re okay. You were just sleeping.”

“Aric was dead!” I said, urgently grabbing her arm.

“No,” she corrected, loosening my grip on her arm. “It was just a nightmare.”

“He’s not dead?”

“No,” she reiterated, “He’s in surgery but he’s alive.”

I slowed my breathing as it all came back to me…the Gauntlet mission, Aric hurt, the blood, the flight back to the Coruscant and the fact that he quit breathing. If not for Elara, he would have died. He would be gone. I owed her everything.

“How long have I been asleep?”

“Almost three hours,” she answered, standing up. “You were restless but you slept.”

“Thanks.”

“No problem,” she said, walking for the door, “Now it’s time to wake, get cleaned up and dressed. We’ll head to the med center in about forty five minutes.”

“You don’t have to,” I started but K'eegan leveled me with a look.

“No arguing,” she said, stopping at the door, “Hope you don’t mind, Corso took your speeder a few hours ago. He was going to check on our ship and then head over and keep Dorne company.”

“That’s fine,” I replied, swinging my legs over the edge of the bed, “Did he say how the surgery was going?”

“As far as they’ve been told, it’s going smoothly.”

“Thank the gods,” I stood and headed for my attached refresher.

“I’ll have some food ready for you,” K'eegan informed me as she shut the door.“

I walked in the ‘fresher and turned on the water in the shower. I let it warm up as I stripped off my soaked clothes. Balling each piece up, I threw it in the corner. P6 would pick them up later.

Stepping into the stall I closed the door. For few minutes, I just stood under the water and allowed it to cascade down my head and body, washing the sweat and some of my stress down the drain. I was terrified of what I’d be told when we returned to the medical center. If I allowed it, the fear could overwhelm me. Taking a deep breath, I picked up a cloth and started washing up. Rinsing off, I turned off the water, stepped out and grabbed a towel.

After drying off, I quickly dressed in another pair of soft black lounge pants, light blue athletic shirt and grey hooded pullover jacket. I sat down on the bed and pulled on a pair of socks and shoes. From a drawer on my night stand, I take out a vibroblade in a sheath. I double check the blade before fastening the whole thing to my left ankle. I reach into the same drawer and pull out a small hold out blaster in an ankle holster. Pulling up my right pants legs, I affix the holster to my other ankle. Standing up, I make sure my pants hide the weapons, before heading back to the 'fresher. I double checked my hair in the mirror and completed my ablutions. Grabbing a backpack, I stuffed some clothes into it.

Throwing the bag over my shoulder, I stepped out of my bedroom and followed my nose to the kitchen. When the opportunity presented itself K’eegan loved to cook and she was very good at it. Living on a spaceship, constantly world hopping, she didn’t always get the chance to cook and when the occasion presents itself, she would take advantage of it. A plate of delectable nerf steak was sitting on the counter waiting for me and it made my mouth water to smell it.

Sitting down on the stool at the counter, she pushed the plate in front of me and ordered, "Eat up.”

Picking up a knife and fork, I cut into the meat and took a bite. I couldn’t stop the moan as the flavor exploded in my mouth. After swallowing, I said, “That’s delicious Sis,” and cut another piece of steak and ate it.

With a smile, she replied, “Thank you.” Looking at the bag I had set on the floor next to my seat, she asked, “What’s in the bag?”

Swallowing I answered, “Clothes,” before taking another bite.

“Why?”

Surprised she really needed to ask, I said incredulously, “So, I can change at the med center.”

“Why?”

“Really?!” slips out, without thought. I raise an eyebrow and add, “So I don’t stink?”

Now my sister gives me an exasperated look, “K'agan, with at least three of us at the hospital we can take it in shifts. You can come back here, sleep, change and clean up.”

Shaking my head, I tell her, “Thank you Sis but I can’t ask you to stay. I’m sure you’ve got some place to go, a shipment you need to deliver.”

“Nothing that won’t wait,” she informs me, as she finishes her steak.

“I do appreciate it K'eegan,” I said, as I use my fork to play with a green vegetable on my plate, “I just..I can’t leave him.” I try to find the words, “I’ll be fine at the med center.”

“No.”

“K'eegan,” I start.

“No, you won’t stay at the med center,” I’m starting to get irritated with my sister. She’s being the bossy older sister again. We’re twins but she’s slightly older and has always lorded it over me and used it to boss me around.

“I can take care of myself,” I grind out.

“Most times, I agree,” she said, leaning against the counter, “but right now you’re focused on Aric.”

“Yeah,” I allow.

“So you focus on Aric and we’ll take care of you,” K'eegan explains, “Which includes sometimes making you take care of yourself.”

Shaking my head, I realize I won’t win this argument, so instead I ask, “So what’s your plan?” because I know she has one.

“We’ll take it in shifts. At least one person will always be at the hospital with Aric,” she explained, “while the other two will be taking care of themselves, eating, sleeping, showering, whatever.”

As I finish off my food, I tell her, “This is really too much Sis.”

“It’s not,” she replies, standing up, she picks up our plates and puts them in the sink. P6 will clean up later. “You’ll be no good to anyone if you don’t take care of yourself and if no one is here to make you take care of yourself you won’t!”

I have to admit she’s right. “Thanks.”

“Family first,” she says, picking up a bag I hadn’t seen.

“Family first,” I agree with a smile, “What’s in the bag?”

“Food and necessities,” my sister says, shouldering the bag, “No reason we should have to eat the crap in the vending machines,” she explains as she walks out the room, leaving me sitting on the stool.“

"Come one K'agan,” K'eegan calls from the living room, “the cab should be here any minute."

Hurrying into my room, I empty my bag on the bed. Instead of clothes, I put a datapad into it, along with my wallet, a book, some protein bars and a water bottle with a small filter. Just as I finished I heard my sister yell, "Cab’s here!”

Heading back to the living room, I followed my sister out on to the landing pad. A yellow taxi was waiting for us. We jumped into the back and I told the driver, “Republic Medical Center.”

The driver nodded his understanding and took off without a word. As we sat quietly in the cab, my thoughts drifted to Aric, my mate. That thought still stunned me. The more I think about maybe it shouldn’t…

We had been forced together after the betrayal of the original Havoc squad members while on Ord Mantel. We learned to work together on Coruscant. This was my first command, and I found if I dismissed Aric’s justified anger he had a lot he could teach me. As we finished our mission on the capital world, we had forged a friendship and we were working together like a well-oiled machine.

As we trudged through the swamps on the ruined world of Taris, dodging poisoned rakghoul claws, our relationship seemed to grow past friendship. During a particularly viscous fight, I was sure one of the monsters scratched and infected my squad mate. Afterwards, I checked him over for a poisoned injury and I was overwhelmed with relief when I didn’t find one. That was moment I realized I was beginning to care about my grouchy partner.

Nar Shaada was another eye opening experience. Flirting with Jonas Balkar had made me feel like a desirable woman, not just a soldier. At first I took Aric’s grumbling as disapproval for my “unprofessional” behavior. It wasn’t until I returned from my date the next morning and found him in the ship’s gym beating the heavy bag and covered in sweat, that I realized how upset he actually was. When he saw me, shoes in hand and in the same clothes as the night before, he refused to speak to me and pummeled the bag even harder. At that moment I realized he was jealous as Jonas claimed. If I hadn’t been blind to Aric’s unspoken desires I would never have picked the SIS agent over Aric! I wanted to smack the Cathar upside the head! If he had just SAID something we could have avoided this! Sigh.

By the time we finished up on Tattoine our friendship was back on track and we had taken a few tentative steps towards a romantic relationship. Working with all the wealthy and privileged nobles on Alderaan frustrated both of us and drew us closer both professionally and romantically. After tracking down the Havoc traitors, I received my promotion to Captain and appointed Aric my executive officer. He as my rock and always had my back. He deserved the promotion.

After a short break, we returned to duty and picked up a returning spy on Tattoine. I was surprised to find Balkar at the spaceport to give us our mission brief and I couldn’t help but flirt with him. This time though, for a totally different reason. I wasn’t interested in the handsome SIS agent, I just wanted to drive Aric nuts. It worked! Wow!! Did it!!

Just as my thoughts drifted to my encounter with Aric after seeing Jonas again, I heard my sister say, “We’re here!” as she jumped out of the taxi.

TBC

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry this took so long, real life has been busy! Hopefully you'll enjoy this installment! Review and let me know what you think! Thanks

Chapter 8

As I followed her out of the vehicle, K’eegan paid the driver. After getting his credits, the taxi took off, heading to his next fare. We shouldered our bags and head for the doors that opened automatically as we approached. Heading down the corridor and around a corner we found a bank of elevators. Pushing the button we waited for a car to arrive.

My twin finally broke the silence, “I’m sure he’s doing well.”

I nodded my head almost mechanically. I had thought I was doing a decent job hiding my thoughts and fears but my sister nailed it in one. What if he hadn’t made it through surgery and they were waiting for me to return to tell me?

As we stepped on to the elevator and pushed the button to head down to the floor where Elara and Corso were waiting, my sister added, “They would have called you if something went wrong.”

“But what if…”

She cut me off, “Elara promised correct?”

“Yes.”

“Then don’t worry.”

“I can’t help it,” I said, staring at the wall.

“I know.”

“If it were Corso, gods forbid, you’d be just as bad,” I rationalized, as the elevator stopped.

“You’re right, gods forbid,” she agreed, as she stepped off the elevator, “Just don’t borrow trouble or worries K’agan.”

And again my sister was right. I had enough to worry about without adding to it. Between my real worries for my mate, an image of him hooked up to the ventilator flashed through my mind, I truly didn’t need to dream up something more. “No promises but I’ll try,” I said, as we walked down the corridor.

“That’s all I ask,” she said, as we rounded the last corner.

Corso stood as we came into view and said, “Captain.”

“Major,” Elara acknowledged from her place in a chair directly across my sister’s crewmate.

“Major?” K’eegan questioned, as she sat down next to Corso and across from Elara. “When did you get promoted?”

I sat down on a couch directly to my sister’s left and frowned. “After the operation on the Gauntlet,” I said. “I was also awarded the Silver Crescent.”

“Wow!”

“Yeah, wow,” I answered sullenly.

“Not pleased?” K’eegan asked.

“No,” I replied honestly, “So far that mission has cost me too much. The award is no consolation if I lose Aric.”

“So far you haven’t sir,” Elara informed me. “They came out a short time ago and gave us an update.” From the look on my face, she continued, “The surgery is proceeding as planned and Captain Jorgan is still with us.”

“Anything else,” I asked.

“No,” my medic shook her head, “They wouldn’t give us a lot of detail as you weren’t here.”

“Why do they need K’agan?” my sister asked.

I grimaced as Dorne replied, “She holds Captain Jorgan’s medical proxy in the event of injury or incapacitation.”

I closed my eyes and shook my head at my now evil twin’s slow smile. “She does,” K’eegan said.

“Yes,” Elara replied and before I could stop her, added, “And Captain Jorgan holds hers.”

“What do our parents think of that?” my sister asks.

I cringe and sink in my seat. I never told my family I changed my medical proxy and next of kin notification. Now my sister knew…

K’eegan’s smile grew wide. With that one tidbit of information, she knows exactly how I felt for my executive officer. I might as well have written it in bold marker across my forehead, ‘K’agan loves Aric!’

“What shall you give me to not tell our parents?” my purposely wicked sister asked, as a grin spread across her face and she rubs her hands together.

Puzzled, Corso said, “What’s the big deal Captain? I hold your medical proxy.”

Now it’s my turn to smirk! Oh dear sweet, innocent Corso! Thank you for evening the playing field.

“I won’t tell them if you don’t,” my twin and I say at the same time. We both started laughing.

“I’ll keep your secret from the family if you keep mine?” K’eegan offers.

“Done,” I quickly agree, before she can change her mind. We reach out and shake on it, sealing the deal.

We sit quietly for a few minutes, before Elara looks at me and breaks the silence, “I didn’t realize your parents were still alive, sir.” I cringe. “You never talk about them.”

I slouch further down on the couch and sigh. She’s right I never talk about them.

“You haven’t told her?” my sister asks incredulously.

“Told me what?” Dorne asks my sister.

Shaking her head, K’eegan replies, “Who she is exactly.”

“Elara,” I said, getting my medic’s attention, “My name is K’agan Kazik.”

While not famous per say, most people know our last name. It has become intertwined with the family business, TransInterStellar shipping. Plus my mother was well known for her philanthropic ventures and as my brother takes over the family business, my father is moving more heavily into galactic politics. It was hard to not know the name.

“Yes, I know,” she said, with almost a ‘duh’ sound in her voice.

“Kazik,” I empathize, hoping she’ll catch on without me spelling it out.

“Yes…” she drew out, slowly seeming to put the puzzle pieces together. She turned and studied me quizzically. “Not THE Kazik family? The shipping tycoons?”

“Yes,” I admitted.

“How are you related?” Elara asked, “Distantly?”

“Nope,” I answer, with a wry smile, “My parents are R’yan and Keelin Kazik.”

Dorne sits back on in chair seemingly stunned by the revelation for a long moment.

Worrying that I might have offended my squad mate and friend, I explain, “While not a secret exactly, I try and keep my identity on a more need to know basis. If people figure it out they assume, like you did, that I am some distant relation. This is not information I’d want getting back to the Empire.” Looking at her intently, “I was going to tell you. It just didn’t seem to come up.”

“I understand sir,” Elara replied immediately, “For your safety it is best to keep it to yourself and as few others as possible.” She looked at my twin and added, “For both of you.”

“Exactly,” K’eegan said.

Turning to look at me, from her chair, Elara asks, “Sir, if I may ask. Why don’t you want your family to know about the changes in medical proxy?”

“That is a whole other issue,” my sister answered for me, with a small smile.

“Which is?” Dorne said.

I started to explain, “I haven’t told my family…”

K’eegan interrupted me, “She means we haven’t told our mother,” stressing the last word.

Frowning at my twin, I continue, “I haven’t told my mother about Aric.” I change position on the couch, drawing my legs up underneath me, “She knows I’m in charge of a Havoc squad.”

My sister stopeds me again with, “I’m sure that went over well.” Obviously mimicking someone, K’eegan adds, “No, Baby that isn’t safe.”

I couldn’t help but smile. K’eegan was right and she did a great impersonation of our mother. It was an on-going argument between our mother and us. She was not pleased that her two daughters hadn’t pick jobs more “appropriate” for a “young lady,” not to mention safer. “I just haven’t mentioned my squad mates or their species.” I tell Elara, “The less she knows the better.”

My medic looked at me puzzled, so I explained, “If my mother knew I had feelings for Aric, she would start trying to play matchmaker and if she knew he was Cathar, she’d be relentless!”

“I’m not getting any younger,” my sister mimicked again, “When will I have grandbabies to spoil?” She made a face and continued in her own voice, “I can’t speak for K’agan but what she doesn’t understand is I’m not sure I want kids yet. I definitely won’t let her force me into it!”

“Pretty much,” I agree, “With the right guy I can see a future with kids in it but I enjoy my job and I’m not ready yet.”

Elara nodded her understanding. Before anything else could be said, Dr. Jeffre came through the door. He looked exhausted. His blonde hair was disheveled, there were bags under his eyes and his shoulders were slumped, like the weight of the world was resting on them. He was still in his scrubs, blood I was sure belonged to Aric dotting it. What scared me though was the frown on his face.

A/N: I got this chapter out a little faster! Yay! I also made some head way on this story! Yay! I can’t wait to finally see the finished product! As always, let me know what you think! Review please!

Chapter 9

As he walked across the room, I seemed to forget how to breathe and I started to shake.

“Breath K’agan!” my sister ordered, as she leaned towards me and rested a hand on my leg. I looked at my twin with my panicked eyes, seeking some kind of reassurance. She seemed to sense it and said, “Remember, no matter what happens I will always be here for you!”

Somewhat comforted, I took a deep breath and released it, preparing to hear what was to come, hoping that everything would turn out for the best.

With a sigh he plopped down in the remaining chair, next to Elara and across from my couch. Leaning back, he closed his eyes and seemed to relax for a moment.

“Doctor,” I prompted after a long, tension filled few seconds.

“It was touch and go in there,” Dr. Jeffre answered, “I almost lost him.”

I grabbed Elara’s hand and squeezed it. Corso stepped up behind K’eegan and laid a hand on her shoulder in comfort. I saw her reach up and gently squeeze it.

“He’s in critical condition,” the doctor informed us, “And it’s still touch and go for the foreseeable future,” he continued, “but he made it.” The room seemed to release a collective breath at the positive news.

“When can I see him?” I asked urgently. I needed to see him with my own eyes, see that he’s still alive.

Scanning a pad he had with him, Dr. Jeffre replied, “He’s in recovery right now. They’re prepping him for the kolto tank. You can see him when they’re done.”

“Thank you,” I whisper, relief that we made it this far washing over me.

“He’s not out of the woods,” the doctor started, before I interrupted him.

“I realize that,” I said, looking across at him, “Just thank you for getting him this far. Without you and Elara,” I broke off with a catch in my voice.

I don’t miss the questioning look my sister shoots me and I know there will be questions about my relationship with Aric later but luckily for now she says nothing for now.

“You’re welcome,” Doctor Jeffre replied, before continuing, “Now, the surgery went well enough. I repaired most of the damage to his chest. As we suspected he was still bleeding internally. Both lungs were burned and damaged, causing them to collapse.” I’m sure the doctor could see the fear written on my face and continued, “I stitched up any bleeding blood vessels I could find and treated his lungs. I left a chest tube inserted to drain off any excess fluid. If I missed anything the kolto will take care of it.”

“Long term prognosis?” I was aware that the damage to his heart and lungs could have future implications.

The doctor shook his head, and replied, “I can’t say for sure. His lungs will be scarred and that may give him problems down the road. It could be as simple as making him more susceptible to illness and disease or it could be much worse, I just don’t know at this point.”

I nodded my understanding and wait for the doctor to continue.

“His arm,” he started, “I know I said just plate and screws but the damage was worse than I suspected.” I sucked in a startled breath and prayed to the gods he didn’t cut off my mate’s arm.

“Don’t worry,” he quickly attempted to reassure me, “I didn’t amputate it. Instead I replaced the bone in upper arm. The blaster bolt went through, tearing a gaping hole in the humerus, vaporizing it in the bolt’s wake and damaging the surrounding muscles. There was nothing left to work with, so instead, I replaced them with cybernetic replacements. Once it heals, externally you won’t be able to tell the difference, though that arm will be noticeably stronger than the other.”

‘That works,’ I thought, though I was still worried about his back and spine. I didn’t say anything and allowed the doctor to continue.

“Now his back,” he continued, “That’s where things got tricky.”

My breathing catches at those words and my anxiety ramps up. Noticing my distress, my sister reached over and grabbed my hand, holding it and offering some comfort.

The doctor ran a tense hand through his hair, before saying, “I’m not sure how he stayed on his feet and made it back to the rendezvous point. At best, I’m positive he couldn’t feel his left leg after the hit, and more likely he couldn’t feel either one.”

My tears started streaking down my cheeks afresh. K’eegan squeezed my hand and said, “He’s still alive. It’s okay.”

“If I may sir,” Elara said, from her place on the other side of my couch.

“Go ahead,” I managed to whisper.

“He didn’t walk back, Fourex carried him,” she explained. “Captain Jorgan was working to get the data out of the computers. He was leaning over a terminal when reinforcements arrived.”

“He holo’d me and said they were about to be overrun,” I added.

“Yes sir, I remember,” Dorne agreed, “Apparently, according to Fourex, right after that holo the Captain was struck in the back by a blaster bolt at short range. The force of it spun him around and he was hit twice more.”

My tears start to fall harder, as I start to imagine it in my head, seeing my mate shot each time.

“Fourex added that Captain Jorgan didn’t go down. Propped against the data banks, he returned fire, not giving up his share of the fight and killing his attackers.”

Noting my distress, my twin shifts and moved closer to me on the couch. She pulled me into a tight hug. “Stop it! He’s alive,” she whispered in my ear. I slowly calmed down and my medic continued her explanation.

“Before the Captain could slip to the floor, Fourex picked him and slung him over his shoulder,” she said, “the droid returned enemy fire while carrying his squad mate to safety.”

I owed Fourex more than I had even realized. “I’ll be sure to thank him again later. Maybe get him a new Republic issued blaster rifle.” Seeing the quizzical look on the doctor’s face, “He’s a unique gung ho bot.”

That caused everyone in the room, who had ever met Fourex to smile.

With a matching grin, the doctor said, “I’ll have to meet this droid sometime.” Flipping through some pages on the tablet, he continued, “The blaster hit to his lower back did some internal damage to his organs and it also damaged the nerves in his lower back.”

Looking at him urgently I managed to ask, “Will he be able to walk?”

“I don’t know for sure,” he explained, “the kolto should repair the damage but only time will tell for sure.”

Paralyzed. My mate could be paralyzed. I keep trying to tell myself that there are worse things that could have happened, for instance he could be dead but it isn’t working. If he couldn’t feel his legs, he couldn’t stay in Havoc squad and he couldn’t have my back. I’m so used to having him with me I’m not sure what I’d do. Aric is always the one I lean on, my strength. I close my eyes and lay my head on K’eegan’s shoulder. She pulled me closer and runs a hand across the rows in my hair.

Seeing my distress, the doctor says, “Let’s not borrow trouble. That is only a possibility. Let the kolto do its work. We’ll know more down the road.”

“Only worry about what you can control K’agan,” my sister whispered in my ear.

I know they’re both right but it still takes me a few minutes to get my emotions back under control. Finally I take a deep breath, sit up and wipe the tears off my face. Just as I am about to speak a beep sounds.

Looking down at the pad, Doctor Jeffre checks something, flipping through a couple pages on the tablet. After finishing, he says, “Everything is ready. Captain Jorgan is in the tank, you can head back and visit him.” When he sees everyone excitedly start to stand, he adds, “Just two at a time.”

Corso squeezes my sister’s shoulder and looks at Elara. I almost miss the imperceptible nod of her head, before he starts, “You too head back first and see him. Elara and I will wait out here.”

Looking up at my sister’s crewmate, I said, “Thank you,” and he smiles at me. Glancing over at my medic, I add, “Thanks both of you. I need to see him.”

“I know,” she replies. “I’ll stay here with Corso.”

“If you don’t mind Elara,” the doctor interrupts, “I haven’t eaten in hours and I was wondering if you’d accompany me to an early lunch.” Suddenly unsure he rapidly says, “We can discuss Captain Jorgan’s ongoing medical treatment.”

I can’t help but smile at the light blush covering the pair’s cheeks. “Go ahead,” I urge my medic, happy for her.

“Go,” Corso encourages her with a grin, “I’ll be fine here by myself.”

“I would love to, Jayd,” Dorne agreed with a happy smile. I couldn’t help remembering how my medic looked at the doctor when we first met him and I am so excited for her.

“I’ll take Major Kazik back to see Captain Jorgan and then we can head out,” Doctor Jeffre said.

TBC

A/N: This one is a little short but it was the perfect place to stop. Hopefully you’ll enjoy it! Review and let me know what you think.

Chapter 10

Standing, we clasped hands as we followed the doctor down the hall, around a corner and a short way down the next corridor. As we passed the rooms and heard the hum of medical equipment, I realized we were in the Intensive Care Unit. Continuing into the ward, I noticed every other room was occupied by a kolto tank or two. In between the rooms, watching over the patients was a nurses’ station. We passed a few more doors before Dr. Jeffre led us into a small room on the left.

My eyes were immediately drawn to the kolto tank sitting on the wall opposite the observation window. While I was terrified to see my mate floating in the tank, and the damage done to his body, I also needed the reassurance that he was still here with me. I was holding my breath, when my eyes finally latched on to him. It felt like someone sucker punched me in the gut and knocked all the air out of my lungs.

"Oh Aric!" I heard my sister whisper.

It ripped me apart to see his broken, battered and bruised body floating in the green liquid. The center of his chest was burned and shattered by a large blaster bolt hole. The wound of to his arm tore it open from just below his shoulder to nearly his elbow and was so deep that the metal of the replacement "bone" was visible. As he floated in the fluid, the burned black edges of the wound to Aric’s back were just visible. My emotions overwhelmed me and my lungs refused to work, I couldn’t draw any air in. Black pin***** spots appeared at the edge of my vision. Last I felt my knees give out from under me.

"K'agan!" my sister said, as she caught me underneath both arms and steadied me.

"Here," a voice said, "have her sit down." I felt a chair pushed up against the back of my legs and I fell down heavily.

My eyes filled with tears, as the encroaching darkness threatened to pull me under. If I didn’t remember how to breathe soon I’d pass out.

“Listen to me!” K’eegan’s voice commanded, making me wonder if she’d been trying to get my attention for a while. “Please K’agan breathe, in and out with me. Come on you can do it,” she instructed in my ear, when I continued to struggle. “Slow you can do this,” as she laid a gentle hand of support on my shoulder.

Finally, I drew in a couple small breaths and the blackness started to recede. The muscles in my chest began to relax and the band constricting my chest loosened. I started gulping in air, easing my greedy lungs.

“Easy sister,” I heard as a hand tightened on my shoulder.

Looking up at my twin, I replied, “Thanks K’eegan.”

With a tilt of her head she acknowledged me. “K’agan look past his injuries,” she instructed, “He’s here, alive. He’s hurt but still strong and he hasn’t slipped away.”

I couldn't stop myself from glancing back at Aric floating in the tank. She was right. My mate was still here, alive.

Though he was hurt, he still fighting. He hadn't yet given in and I couldn't. He needed me to be here for him, to be strong for him, when he couldn't and to fight for him, to ensure he got the best care possible. I felt the weight on my chest start to lighten.

"And wow! He does he have a lot to live for!" K'eegan said, from where she was kneeling beside me.

When I noticed what my twin was looking at, I blushed. "K'eegan!" I admonished her, "Don't look at that!"

She smiled at me and turned back to look at the tank. "Can't help it!"

"Yes, you can!"

"Ok," she admitted, with a pointed look back at my XO's naked, well-endowed form, “I don't want to stop looking!"

"Gah!" I growled at her, as I reddened further. "K'eegan!"

With the 'evil big sister' look, she said, "Please tell me you've taken advantage of that!"

I buried my beet red face in my hands. My twin always knew just what to say to embarrass me. I wasn't a prude by any stretch, I just preferred to keep some things private and she was well aware of it. "Enough sister!" I said, "keep your eyes off my ..." I stuttered to a stop.

She quirked an eyebrow at me and asked, "Your what K'agan? What exactly is Aric to you?"

'Damn!' she'd got me flustered and if I didn't pull it together quick, she'd never let this go. "Keep your eyes off my XO K'eegan," I responded, trying to look her directly in the eye, "Aric is my friend and XO."

"Is that all he is?"

I wasn't hiding or embarrassed of the fact that Aric was my mate; I just preferred to tell him first, before anyone in my family found out. I love him and he deserved that much. "No," I answered, honestly, "He's more than that."

"How much more?"

I looked directly at her, "None of your business. I'm not having this conversation with you."

Staring at me, my sister lips turned up into a small smirk, she suspected how much I wasn't saying. Hopefully she wouldn't push the issue right now. I wouldn't tell her. Aric would hear it first I vowed to myself.

Nodding her acquiescence, K'eegan said, "For now, keep your secrets but you will tell me eventually."

"Maybe," I acknowledge.

"Oh, you'll tell me," and the evil sister smile was back. Ugh.

"Feeling better," the voice I heard earlier asked.

Looking around I saw a nurse, behind me. "Yes, thanks for the chair," I said to her.

"I will be Captain Jorgan's primary care nurse," she said, "If I can be any help let me know."

"Thank you, ummm," I replied, looking for a name tag.

"Sorry sir," she answered, "I'm Nurse Hayle Pencot, sir but you can call me Hayle." She offered me her hand.

Taking her hand I shook it and said, "Hayle, I'm Major K'agan Kazik but call me K'agan."

"Thank you sir." Having been privy to our conversation she continued, "The wound to his back prevented us from covering the Captain."

"Not a problem," my sister answered before me, "I've enjoyed the view!"

I didn't rise to the bait and just ignored my twin, as Doctor Jeffre joined us.

"Major Kazik is the patient's medical proxy and will be making all medical decisions in regards to his care," he said.

"Yes sir," responded Nurse Pencot.

"My sister and I have a couple of friends with us;" I started to explain, "One of us will always be with Captain Jorgan. If anything changes or you need an approval they will always know how to get hold of me."

"Yes sir," the nurse said again and noted something on a pad.

I got up and walked to the tank, my eyes never leaving my mate floating inside. Standing in front of it, I laid my hands on the glass. This close, the damage to his chest stood out and broke my heart. Leaning my forehead against it, I cried, "Oh Aric!"

From just over my shoulder, I heard the doctor say, "I left the wounds open so the kolto would have easier access. It looks bad but it should help it heal better and faster."

"It's just hard," I whispered. It wasn't just the wounds. Yes, they were bad but it was more than that. It was the wires and tubes running into the kolto, and connecting to my mate. It was the chest tube pushed into his lungs. It was the hiss of the respirator and the tube still down his throat breathing for him. It was the hum of the machines keeping him alive. I sighed to keep from crying again.

"I know," the Doctor Jeffre, "But we're doing everything we can for him. We won't quit."

"I won't either," I answered. I pulled the chair across the room, as near to Aric as I could get. Sitting down I curled up in the chair and watched my XO floating in the liquid, "I won't either," I murmured, "I won't either...."

TBC

A/N: Hopefully you enjoy this chapter as much as the last. I enjoy hearing from you. Let me know what you think, review!

Chapter 11

As slowly as each minute and each hour dragged by, the days flew past in a haze of activity. There were never enough hours in the day to get everything done and as much as I fought my sister on it, she always made sure I went home in the evening to eat, relax and sleep. She insisted Aric wouldn’t want me to run myself down caring for him, when others were there to help. I knew she was right but I hated leaving him.

When I was at the hospital, I was kept busy making sure Aric received the best medical treatment possible. Doctor Jeffre was highly skilled and respected in the medical community and I trusted he had my mate's best interest at heart, but other’s not so much. The military staff was spread thin and worn out caring for the large number of injured soldiers that came with a protracted war effort. The private sector medical personnel, while sympathetic to the plight of their counterparts, had been burned to many times by the Republic government not paying the bills incurred for soldiers’ care.

I quickly found the best way to make sure medical doors were opened for my XO, was Doctor Jeffre's reference and my last name. I hated throwing it around but I'd do anything to ensure Aric got the absolutely best treatment possible. My family’s deep pockets guaranteed payment, easing civilian medical staff's concerns. It did make me worry that my comrades-in-arms were not getting the best attention possible but I could do little about that right now. I did make a note to talk to my father about putting soldiers and veteran issues on his political agenda.

The evenings were more difficult. My sister always made sure I went home at a “reasonable” hour, ate and rested. Back at the apartment, it was hard to focus on anything; I was constantly distracted by my thoughts of Aric. Not just my worries, though those were by far the most painful, but also by my fantasies. I found myself daydreaming about how he’d react when I spilled my secret to him. I dreamt of our future together, careers and family and what each might bring…promotions, safety, and a home of our own…children. I never envisioned myself as a mother, but with Aric I could see it. His children growing inside me, watching him hold our kits for the first time and hearing them call me “mama.” I could see it and I worried it the nightmare I was currently living might shatter that dream, taking it away before I even had the chance to live it.

I tried to distract myself from my fears by keeping busy while at the apartment. I tried painting. I took up my paintbrush and started working on the unfinished painting sitting on my easel. For a time, it seemed to be going well. The image I had seen in my previous efforts started coming out. I spent some time adding more touches to the image, a swipe of the brush here and a splash of color there. A streak of red turned into a sea of red. Blood red, shimmering in the light…like the pool of blood that Aric lain in on the Gauntlet. Aric, who was in a kolto tank….gah!

The next evening I decided to go for a run and wear myself out, hoping to sleep well later. I threw on my running gear, tank top, shorts and running shoes. I picked up a small pack containing my identification, some cash, holo-communicator and a vibroblade. I wasn’t going out without a weapon. I took the elevator down to the building’s lobby and as I went out the front door, I put on a headset and started listening to my favorite music.

I loved running outside and set a fast pace. While it could be dangerous on the lower levels of Coruscant, up here it seemed to be a different world. There was no garbage on the streets, no vandalism, no one hanging out on the street corners and all the buildings were occupied by thriving businesses. It was flourishing, colorful, economically vibrant, and dynamic. Reaching my stride, I passed pedestrians, food vendors and street artists.

As I worked off all my pent up energy and frustration, my mind and emotions settled. As I continued to run, my anxiety slowly began to drop and I felt better each footfall.

After my long, hard run I rounded the last corner and headed home to the apartment building. I poured on the speed the last 100 meters, giving it all I had. With a last gasp, I reached the large glass doors and slowed to stop. I stood on the sidewalk, hands on my knees and gasping for air.

The doorman droid opened the door for me and said, "Welcome back Miss K'agan."

"Thank you," I said, as I straightened up and walked back in the building. I was breathing hard, hot, and sweaty but I felt much better.

Heading over to the bank of elevators I pushed the button and waited. When the doors opened, I stepped, pushed the button for our floor and they swished closed, as they started up, I took a couple of deep breaths. After a few moments, we reached our destination and I walked out. I headed for the kitchen and was surprised to find K'eegan cooking. Opening the refrigerator, I pulled out a bottle of water and twisted off the cap. Tipping it up, I took a couple of big swallows of the cool liquid.

Leaning against the counter, I said, “Not that I’m complaining that you’re cooking but what are you doing here Sis?”

“Elara’s at the medical center with Aric and Corso has the overnight shift, so I decided to spend the evening with you,” she explained, while stirring something in the pan. “And I’m aware your culinary skills haven’t improved, so if I want something edible this evening I’m cooking.”

She was right but I couldn’t resist sticking my tongue out at her. K’eegan returned the gesture as she stirred and we both broke out laughing.

After I finally quit snickering, I said, “Thanks, I haven’t laughed liked that in a while!”

“You’re welcome!”

"What are you making?"

"Spicy Gargon Gumbo,” my sister answered as she stirred the food in the pan again.

Leaning in, I attempted to grab a small taste from the pan but my twin was quicker and hit my fingers with the spoon. "No! Wait until it’s done!"

"Just a bite," I whined.

"No," she said, waving the spoon at me. "Go take a shower and change. It will be done when you're finished."

"I'll be back in a few," I said, smiling, before I turned and walked out of the kitchen.

Shutting my bedroom door, I quickly stripped and took a shower. After I finished my shower and toweled off, I dressed in a large soft shirt and sweat pants. I headed back to the kitchen and found a large bowl of gumbo and a hunk of bread waiting for me on the table. Sitting down, I picked up the spoon, took a bite and closed my eyes when the spices hit my taste buds. I couldn't stop the moan of pleasure that escaped my lips. Swallowing, I took another.

"Oh my gods," I said, between mouthfuls, to my grinning sister sitting across from me, "K'eegan this is sinful!"

"Thank you!"

For the next few minutes, the only sounds in the dining room were the echo of spoons clinking against the sides of our bowls. As we finished off our dinner, I said, "It seems like all I've been saying to you tonight but thank you."

"You looked like you could use a good meal," she replied, before taking her last bite.

Standing I picked up our dishes, "Let me," I told her.

"Will do," she said, as she watched me clean up.

As I rinsed the dishes and put them in the washer, my sister asked, "How about a holo-film?"

I nod and reply, "Ok, I'll finish up in here and meet you in the lounge."

Without a word my sister disappeared around the corner. I rinsed all the dishes and put them in the dishwasher, before wiping the counters down. Opening the door, I reached into one of the cupboards and grabbed a large bowl. From another cabinet I found a bag of chips, tore them open, and poured them into it. Picking up the dish, I walked over to the refrigerator, opened it and grabbed two bottles of water. I took my snacks and headed for the lounge.

Sitting down on the large couch next to K’eegan, I placed the chips between us and handed her a bottle.

“Thanks,” she said, opening it and taking a drink.

“No problem,” I answered. “What’d you pick?” I asked, as I pulled a blanket off the back of the couch and covered my legs with it.

“Don’t remember the title,” K’eegan replied, as she grabbed a handful of chips, “Some holo-drama from Corellia.”

‘From home,’ I thought fondly. I hadn’t been back to my home world in quite a while and I was beginning to miss it. “Sounds good, start it up when you’re ready.”

Picking up the remote, my twin pointed it at the projector and pushed a button. The film started and we both got comfortable on the couch. We ate our snacks and passed a couple of hours in companionable silence, both ohhing and ahhing in all the appropriate spots.

As the credits rolled, I stood up and stretched. Yawning, I said, “I think I’ll head to bed.”

“Me too,” my twin replied as she turned off the projector and stood. Giving me a quick hug, she said, “I’ll see you in the morning.”

“Goodnight K’eegan,” I replied, as she walked towards her room and I started to mine.

“Night K’agan,” she echoed with a smile and closed her door.

I closed mine and stretched again. Grabbing a pair of pajamas, I took off my clothes, gently folded them and laid them over the desk chair. I slipped into bed and pulled the covers up over me. Turning on my side, I closed my eyes and tried to fall asleep. A short time later I drifted off into slumber.

A/N: Not sure if I’ve said it before or not, but the bold text in this chapter is speech taking directly from SWTOR and the trooper story line, be it in person or by holo. Just thought I’d let you know.

Chapter 12

What felt like only a few short hours later, I heard a gentle knock on my door and a voice calling out, “K’agan.”

“Yeah,” I managed to sleepily answer, as I propped myself on one elbow.

“Miss K’eegan wanted me to wake you and inform you breakfast is in twenty minutes,” P6 said.

“Thanks P6,” I answered the droid, “Tell her I’ll be there.”

“Yes Miss K’agan,” the bot replied and I could hear my totter off.

Sitting up, I rubbed my tired eyes with both hands and dragged them down my face. With a sigh I stood up and tottered towards the bathroom to take care of my morning ablutions. After finishing, I dressed and walked back out and sat down on the bed. I put my shoes on and reattached my small holdout blaster and vibroblade to each calf. I pulled my pant legs back down, hiding them.

“Morning Major,” I heard Corso say, as I walked out to the kitchen and sat down on a stool.

“Morning Corso,” I answered, as K’eegan sat a bowl of food and a spoon down in front of me. “How was he last night?”

I took a bite as the man answered, “Nothing to report. He had a good night. It was quiet. Nothing happened.”

“Good,” I said, as I took another bite.

Finishing his breakfast, Corso stood, picked up his bowl and carried it over to the sink. He rinsed it and put it in the dishwasher. He finished his breakfast and stood up. Walking over to my sister, he stood behind her, wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her back against him. Leaning down he kissed her neck and quietly said, “I’m going to head back to the ship and get some sleep.”

Turning in his arms, she reached up and pulled his head down. She straightened and slowly, tenderly kissed him on the lips. As the embrace continued, the kiss begun to turn ever hotter until Corso finally pulled away from her. “Captain!” he said, “We’ve got observers.”

“I don’t mind,” I said, with a smirk.

“I do,” he grumped.

My sister giggled at that. He just pulled away and shook his head in amusement. “Night Captain,” he called over his shoulder, as he reached the door.

“Night,” she answered and I heard the door close. Turning to me, she asked, “Ready?”

I had already finished and taken care of my dishes. Nodding, I said, “Yes, just let me grab my backpack.”

“I’ll meet you at the door.”

I hurried to my room and picked up my bag. It was still stocked from my previous trips to the hospital but I grabbed a sketchpad and some pencils from my desk and threw them inside. Zipping it, I strode out and joined my sister at the doorway. “Let’s go,” I said, as I joined her.

Without a word, she pushed it open and we walked out on to the private landing pad. Our speeders were fueled and waiting for us. Climbing on, we each started our machines and revved the engines.

“After you,” K’eegan motioned with her hand.

With a small smile, I took off and head back to the medical center. My last few days had been spent, either at the hospital taking care of Aric or at home, trying to take care of myself. I was incredibly grateful for my sister’s company last night. She helped me keep my mind off Aric.

I zoomed in and out of traffic, my twin following closely behind me. We definitely got some looks from other drivers and pedestrians alike. I’d catch their eye as I flew past and looking in the rearview mirror I’d watch their heads snap around when an identical driver streaked past again. It was always fun to fool people, something my twin and I always enjoyed.

We quickly reached our destination and parked our bikes. We shut them off and locked them up, before heading into the building. As we walked across the atrium, I watched startled eyes follow us across. We passed the greeting droid without a word and took the elevator to the appropriate floor. Stepping out, my holo-communicator went off.

Looking at it, I noticed it was from Republic Command and growled. I’m sure this wasn’t going to be good. Glancing at K’eegan I said, “I’ve got to take this. I’ll catch up.”

“Ok,” she said, turning and continuing down the hall.

Thumbing it on, I waited for the image to come up. I wasn’t surprised when I was looking at General Garza.

“Major, this is General Garza. I need you to report to my office on Coruscant immediately,” she said.

Not like I’d leave with Aric floating in a kolto tank and she knew that.

“General Rakton made his move –the Imperials have invaded dozens of Republic planets. Havoc squad is needed –immediately,” she continued.

No, no, no! Havoc squad was one man down!

I bit lip and calmly answered her, “Is there a plan on dealing with the invasion, General?”

“I’ll brief you on the details when you arrive. Move quickly. Garza out,” she replied as her image faded away.

I should have known she’d leave me in the dark. I frowned in thought. This didn’t sound good and I was sure I’d be forced to leave my mate here without me, while I did this mission without him. GRRRRRR….

I walked down the hall and found my sister talking quietly with Elara. Now that I thought about it, I wasn’t surprised to find her here. Corso would never have left unless had had been relieved and he was at the apartment when I got up. When I walked into the room, they stopped talking and looked at me.

“What’s wrong,” K’eegan immediately asked.

I was agitated and started pacing, as I answered, “I have to report to Republic Command.”

“Why?” Elara asked surprise evident in her voice.

“General Garza has a mission for us,” I said. I turned and started pacing back the other way. “She says Havoc squad is needed.”

“What about Aric?” my sister asked, “Your squad isn’t at full strength.”

Sighing, Elara said, “We haven’t been at full strength in the past.”

“True,” K’eegan agreed, “But Aric has always run the missions with her…always.”

And that was true. Since I took command of Havoc squad Aric had always been at my side, assisting me in whatever way he could. I’m not sure how I could do this without him.

“He’s just one man,” I whispered, not really believing it myself.

Looking at me sharply, my twin spit out, “Bantha ****!” We had yet to speak about my relationship with my XO but I knew she suspected that my feelings ran deeper that I voiced.

“That’s what Command believes,” I explained, as I dropped into a chair. I ran my hands over the braids in my hair. “They know we’re in a relationship but we aren’t married, though I’m not sure it would matter if we were.”

“You hold his medical proxy,” K’eegan tried.

“And if necessary and something changes, they can get hold of me over comms,” I said.

Sitting down next to me, my sister said, “I’m not sure this is a good idea. You’re not in the right place mentally to take on a mission.”

I propped my elbows on my knees, folded my hands together, and rested my chin on them. “I’m not disagreeing,” I mumbled, “I just don’t have a choice.”

“K’agan,” my sister said, as she sat down next to me, put an arm around me and tried to comfort me.

“I’m not sure how to do this without him,” I said, as I covered my face with both hands.

“Sir, if I may,” I heard Elara say, from a nearby chair. Glancing up at her, she explained, “I know that it may be difficult without the Captain but I believe I speak for the whole squad when I say we will be there for you.”

“Thank you Elara,” I answered earnestly. I really had a great squad and I knew they would have my back but I really, really didn’t want to do this. I didn’t want to leave Aric. Now wasn’t the time but I’d sworn an oath to protect the Republic and I’d uphold that oath, even if my heart wasn’t in it.

Eventually I stood up and said, “I guess I’ll head back to the ship and put my gear on, before heading up to Garza’s office.”

“Your armor is still at the apartment,” my twin reminded me.

“That’s right,” I agreed. “I’ll head there and change.”

“I’ll come with you sir,” Elara offered, as she stood.

I preferred she stay here as long as possible and had planned on calling the ship and having Yuun join me, but I didn’t feel like arguing with her. Before I could ask, K’eegan offered, “I’ll stay, just let me know what Command wants.”

“Thanks Sis,” I said, with a soft sigh of relief.

As we turned towards the door, K’eegan asked, “Aren’t you going to see Aric?”

I shook my head, and explained, “If I go in there right now, I won’t want to leave.” Taking a deep breath I continued, “Before we leave planet I’ll stop back by and set up everything up with his doctors since no one will be here.”

My twin looked at me like I had grown a second head, finally asking, “What do you mean no one will be here? I’m not leaving until you come back.”

“I know and I’ll be back in a few hours,” I said.

Shaking her head, my sister said, “K’agan, I intend on staying while you are away on your mission.”

I couldn’t let her do that! She’d already put her career on hold and I knew she had supply runs she needed to make. To keep her here indefinitely was just too much.

As I went to argue, K’eegan gave me a stern look and said, “It’s my decision!”

Again I tried to say something and she cut me off, “No arguments!”

With a small smile and a shake of my head, I said, “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome.”

“We’ll talk more when I get back for Garza’s office,” I added, as I again turned for the door.

“I’ll be waiting.”

Without another word, I walked out the door and down the hall to the bank of elevators. Elara and I waited silently for the car to arrive. After taking it to the ground floor, we expeditiously stepped off and headed for the exit across the atrium, Elara directly off my left shoulder. The position Aric usually took…

• 2 weeks later...

A/N: This one is kind of short but it was the perfect break before starting the conversation with Garza, so I went with it. I know it’s been awhile since I lasted posted. I’m attending a writer’s conference a week from tomorrow and I had to concentrate on writing an original piece for a short story contest. I’ve got that done now, so for now I’m backing to writing this story. While, I plan on continuing my original work soon, I want to finish this first. I love it and I want to see K’agan through until Aric’s recovery. So don’t worry. I’ll be around.

Chapter 13

I tried to shake that thought from my head. I couldn’t afford to dwell on my loss right now. I needed to get my head in the game and focus on the mission and my squad or I could get someone hurt or killed. I would NOT let that happen, if I could help it!

Just as we exited the building and stepped out into the Coruscant sunshine, Elara said, “Sir, I need to head back to the ship and put on my uniform.”

“Meet me at the entrance to the Senate Building in an hour,” I ordered.

“Yes sir,” Elara replied, as she turned to walk the short distance to the taxi stand.

“And Elara,” I called after her. “Thank you again.”

“Sir,” she questioned, turning back to look at me.

“For everything.”

“You are welcome sir,” she said with a smile, before continuing on to the stand.

Walking over to my speeder, I swung a leg over the machine and sat down. I started the engine and revved it, before putting it in gear. Finding a niche in the traffic flow, I settled in and headed back to my family’s apartment. While I flew, I tried to keep my mind off Aric by thinking about Rakton and the possible mission Garza was sending us on.

As short time later, I landed on our private pad and shut down the bike. Climbing off the bike, I walked towards the entrance and pushed the large door open and called out for our droid. “P6?"

Toddling towards me, arms full of laundry, he answered, “Yes, Miss K’agan?”

“Is my armor clean and ready to go?”

“I finished it yesterday,” the bot promptly answered, “I put it back in your room in the closet this morning.”

“Thanks P6,” I called out, as I strode over to my room, entered and shut the door behind me.

Pulling off my shirt, I tossed it on the bed and continued into the bathroom. Grabbing my gear bag and boots, I walked back to the bedroom and threw it on the bed. From the dresser drawer, I snagged a long sleeved undershirt and leggings I wore beneath my armor set. I tugged the shirt on over my head. Next I pushed off the pants I was wearing and allowed them to puddle on the floor. Sitting on the bed, I put the leggings on and then turned my attention to the armor. I expertly put it on; legs, chest boots, and wrist guards. I picked up my gloves and helmet and carried them with me.

I made my way back to the kitchen. Opening a drawer I found a meal bar and in the refrigerator a cold bottle of juice. Opening it, I took a bite of the bar and washed it down with a sip of juice. Leaning against the cabinet I finished my makeshift meal. I was almost positive I wouldn’t have time to eat, if I wanted to visit Aric and arrange his care with his doctors, before leaving the planet.

As I threw the wrapper in the trash, P6 came in and said, “Master K’addes called.”

“What did my baby brother want?” As he liked to remind me we were littermates and he hated it when I called him that. Of course being his sister, complaining about it, guaranteed I’d call him “baby brother.”

“He wished to alert me of his arrival this evening.”

K’addes, was a Jedi Knight and the “Hero of Tython,” a title he didn’t really care for. Like the rest of us, he spent most of his time off-world, in his case tackling problems for the Jedi council. I wondered why he was headed to Coruscant and if it was related to my mission. Unlikely but anything was possible.

More than likely, if he arrived this evening I’d miss seeing him, which could be a good or bad thing depending on how you looked at it. I loved and missed my brother and I’d enjoy seeing him again but he was a Jedi and he’d sense something was wrong. He’d want to know what was going on and withholding information from a force sensitive could be difficult, keeping it from your kid brother, impossible! I wanted to tell him about what happened to Aric, I just didn’t want to explain our relationship. Just like with K’eegan, I wanted to tell my mate before my family found out.

“More than likely, I’ll be heading out today, let him know I’m sorry I missed him and I might be back in a few days,” I informed the droid, as straightened up and headed for the door.

“I will Miss K’agan,” the droid answered, as he followed me out. “I will clean your room in your absence and have it ready for your return.”

“Thanks P6,” I said, as I started up the speeder and started to pull away.

“Be safe,” the droid called after me.

“Will do,” I yelled back. I angled the bike into traffic and took off.

TBC

I was so very glad to see an update......I'm loving this story and I was bored out of my mind in the waiting room at the doctor's office. I always hated that you didn't get Jorgan (or Dorne) back until after the Act 2 finale mission, but it did make it feel more real. Can't wait for the next part!!

Enjoy the writer's conference!!

I was so very glad to see an update......I'm loving this story and I was bored out of my mind in the waiting room at the doctor's office. I always hated that you didn't get Jorgan (or Dorne) back until after the Act 2 finale mission, but it did make it feel more real. Can't wait for the next part!!

Enjoy the writer's conference!!

Thank you!! I'm glad I could entertain you at the doctor's office! On my first trooper, Zane, I wasn't sure what the heck to do after Aric was injured on the Gauntlet. I kept going back to the med center, thinking WTH I'm I supposed to do without him? LOL! I do learn to use Elara then, so I guess something good came from it!!

A/N: Wow! I’ve nearly caught up with what I had written! Only about a chapter ahead now! Crazy! Oh well! Hope you enjoy this one!

Chapter 14

The trip to the Senate Plaza passed in a haze of traffic and lights. I zipped past open businesses and pedestrians, as I zig-zagged through other vehicles. Arriving at my destination, I pulled over to a stop near the entrance where Elara was waiting for me.

Striding over to join her, I asked, “Ready?”

With a nod, she replied, “Whenever you are sir.”

“Let’s go,” I said, as we entered the cavernous building.

We passed the statue in the entry way and made our way around the circle and into the main part of the building. We crossed the chamber and took the stairs up to General Garza’s office. Entering, we passed the secretary’s desk in the outer room and since she was expecting us, went into the General’s office.

“Major, stand at ease,” she said, as we saluted her. “Let’s get straight to the situation at hand.”

‘Lets,’ I silently agreed. The sooner I finished this mission the sooner I could return to Aric’s side.

She explained, “After we destroyed the Gauntlet, General Rakton called a ‘diplomatic summit’ with the heads of state of several Republic aligned planets along our borders.”

This doesn’t sound good…and why the hells would they go?

“The summit was held aboard a neutral space station, where Rakton’s troopers seized the heads of state by force. They are now hostages of the Empire.”

Well, I saw that one coming. If you go to a meeting with the Empire, plan on being stabbed in the back.

“How does this tie into Rakton’s invasion plans?” I asked.

While not a surprising move it was a curious one.

“This is Rakton’s invasion plan,” General Garza explained. “With their leaders held hostage, our allies are allowing Imperial troops to pass through their systems and strikes us where we’re vulnerable.”

Not a bad plan. It would give the Empire unmolested access to some of our lesser protected core worlds, before we could pull troops back to counter them. More importantly to me, at the moment, the security of Coruscant was at stake!

“Our forces are at their limit. The Imperials will overwhelm us unless we rescue those heads of state and block Rakton’s invasion routes,” Garza added.

“What’s our intel on the hostages’ location,” I asked.

We need to know where they are, if we’re going to rescue them.

“The station where the heads of state are being held is called Outpost 256. Imperial security is tight but we’ve developed an entry plan,” the General answered.

Good! Otherwise she’s wasting time better spent with my injured teammate.

She continued, “Helik, a diplomat for one of those worlds is flying there to surrender his government security codes. He’s volunteered to sneak your team aboard.”

‘Brave man,’ I thought. If the Imperials found out they’d kill him for sure.

“How can we minimize the risk to the hostages when we storm the station?” I asked.

It would take time to reach the hostages, during that time they’d be vulnerable.

“Lieutenant Yuun will be responsible for that portion of the plan,” Garza explained. “Your ship will ride along Helik’s detaching at the last second and landing in an unused maintenance hangar aboard the station.”

So far, so good though it still doesn’t explain how we can protect the hostages from retribution during the operation.

“Lieutenant Yuun will slice into the station’s security and stop any alarms from sounding while your storm the crew area and secure the hostages. Understood?”

That would work, if nothing unforeseen happens. Unfortunately, it’s rare that everything goes according to plan. There was definitely potential for someone to be harmed.

“I’m ready to begin immediately General,” I answered.

I just wanted to get this mission over with, so I could return to the medical center. I hated being off world right now and running this mission without my XO felt wrong.

“Helik will rendezvous with you at these coordinates. The Imperials are expecting him to deliver the security codes very soon, so move quickly,” she said, as she pulled a datapad from a pocket.

I plan on it!

“Remember, the safety of the Republic depends entirely on the safety of those men. Good luck.”

No pressure or anything. Geesh! More importantly to me, Aric’s life depended on the security of Coruscant.

As I turned to walk towards the door, the General said, “Major.”

Stopping I glanced back and answered, “Yes Ma’am?”

“How is Captain Jorgan doing?”

“Still in the kolto tank,” I replied, “But slowly getting better.”

“Good, good,” she said. I waited for a second, before turning back and starting towards the exit again, only to have her stop me, “I had no choice Major.”

For a long moment, I stayed silent and refused to admit that I heard the General speak, finally I asked, “Permission to speak freely sir?”

“Go ahead Major,” she answered.

I turned back and looked at her, I reined in my emotions before speaking, “I realize Havoc squad is the best choice for his mission but we are not at full strength and there are always,” and I stress the last word, “other options. We are not the only spec force squad the Republic has.”

There is ALWAYS a choice and while we may be the best squad for the job, we are NOT the only option for this mission and she knows it.

“You may not be the only spec force squad we have but you are the best,” Garza counters, “And this situation requires the best.”

“Maybe,” I acknowledge, “But we’re missing a key member of our squad and we aren’t the same without him, sir.” Silently I added, ‘I’m not the same.’

“I believe you can get the job done Major,” the General said.

“Probably sir,” I conceded.

We stood quietly for a few moments. While she may or may not be sympathetic about my desire not to leave Aric, I don’t think she really understood how I was feeling. From what I heard, the other woman had always put her career and the military before any personal entanglements and expected others to do the same.

“May I be dismissed sir?” I asked, “I have a few things I need to take care of before leaving the planet.”

“Dismissed Major,” she replied with a nod.

Without another word, I walked out the door, Elara at my shoulder. We continued silently down the corridor, stairs and across the main floor to the exit. I fumed the entire way. I did not want to do this mission.

“From the General’s point of view it makes sense to send us sir,” Elara bravely offered, “We are currently between assignments and we are on Coruscant.”

“We’re here because Aric is in a kolto tank in the med center,” I argued, “Leaving us a man down.”

“True, but we worked more than a man short before,” she returned, “And if I may say sir, we did it well.”

“We did,” I agreed, as I swung a leg over my speeder, “I just don’t like it!”

“I understand,” my medic agreed as she started her bike.

“It feels wrong without Aric,” I sighed.

“I know sir,” she agreed, “But the squad has your six.”

Taking a deep breath, I calmed my emotions and said, “Thank you Elara.”

“You are most welcome sir.”

“I’m headed back to the medical center,” I explained to my companion, “I need to speak to Aric’s doctors and arrange his care while I’m gone.”

“I can accompany you if you would like sir,” Elara offered.

“No, K’eegan is there. I should be okay,” I said. “You’re acting XO until Aric is back.” I refused to think about the possibility that he may never return. “I need you to inform the crew of our mission and prep the ship.”

“Yes sir,” she answered, sitting a little straighter on her speeder, “Thank you for your confidence sir.”

People always judged my medic for being Imperial, failing to look beyond the obvious, to the woman underneath.

She was intelligent, competent and deserved this opportunity. “You’re welcome,” I replied, “but you earned it.”

Turning my bike towards the medical center, I called over my shoulder, “I should be back to the ship in two hours.”

“Don’t worry Major,” Dorne reassured, “We’ll be ready.”

• 1 month later...

A/N: I know it's been a long time but I haven't forgotten this story. It's been a crazy few weeks! First, the writing conference. I learned a lot and hope to use what I learned going forward. The bigger news, a literary agent read my first page of the original novel I've been writing and loved it! That was awesome enough on its own but it got better. At the mixer she sought me out for a conversation and at the end she said she'd "Hunt me down if I don't send it to her" when its finished. Needless to say, this inspired and renewed my excitement for my novel!

Second, a couple of days ago I cracked my patella (knee cap.) Sigh. My leg is in an immobilizer and I can't work. :( The upside of that is I've got a lot of time on my hands to write. So you should be seeing a few more chapters.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy this chapter! And thanks for your patience with me!

Chapter 15

Nodding, I just revved the bike’s engine and took into traffic. I swerved and dodged through past vehicles and bikes, making good time back to the hospital. I parked in the lot, shut the speeder down and headed inside. I hurried across the atrium and took the elevator to the floor Aric was on. I waited impatiently, arms crossed and foot tapping, for the car to reach our destination. I hurried off when the doors opened and walked down the hall looking for Doctor Jeffre.

Reaching Aric’s room, I peeked in and saw K’eegan sitting in the chair they brought in for us, reading.

“Hey Sis,” I said.

Glancing up from her data pad, she replied, “How’d the meeting go?”

I frowned and growled under my breath. I did not want to leave! Damn it!

“That good huh?”

I took off my gloves and forcefully shoved them into my helmet. I wanted to throw the whole thing across the room, but managed to restrain myself. Instead I put them down in the empty chair next to my sister and started pacing to relieve some tension. My twin watched and waited patiently, until I stopped and took a deep breath, and said, “We’re leaving the planet as soon as I speak with Aric’s doctors and arrange his care.”

“Well damn,” K’eegan said, shaking her head.

At that moment, Nurse Pencot walked in, and smiled at me, and said, “Major! I wasn’t expecting you. Your sister said something about a meeting.”

Running an agitated hand over the braids in my hair, I answered, “We just finished up,” I took a deep breath, and added, “Can you page Doctor Jeffre for me? I have some things I need to discuss with him.”

“Yes sir,” she replied, as she clicked a few buttons on a pad she was carrying. After sending the message, she quickly got to work taking her patient’s vital statistics and noting them on his chart.

“Thanks,” I whispered, as I moved closer to the kolto tank and leaned my forehead against the cool surface. Even separated by glass and liquid, being as near as possible to Aric seemed to calm me.

When she finished, she commented, “He’s looking better.”

Though I’d spent the last few long days with my mate in this room, I’d avoided truly looking at his wounds. They were a stark reminder of just how bad he’d been injured and it hurt my heart, so I avoided looking at them if at all possible. Now I’d be forced to leave him here while I left for a mission. The pain in my chest was almost physical, as tears streaked down my face. Damn! I didn’t want too!

I knew she was right; but I couldn’t help but worry. Closing my eyes, I took a deep breath and centered myself. When I was feeling a little better, I turned slightly and with one last steadying breath I opened them. I couldn’t stop the real smile that spread across my face. Aric truly did look better, stronger than he had in days! I’d been so worried and scared I’m not sure I really saw him and not the wounds.

“He is getting better,” I agreed.

At that moment Dr. Jeffre walked into the room. “He is,” the man readily agreed.

“Doctor,” I greeted.

“What have I said about that,” he scolded, “Just call me Jayd, Major.”

“Only if you call me K’agan,” I answered with a grin.

He smiled. “I’ll try if you do.”

“Deal,” I agreed.

“Now,” the doctor said, “You needed to speak to me?”

With a sigh, I leaned back against the glass behind me, and replied, “Yes, I wanted to speak to you about Captain Jorgan’s care.”

Now the doctor was puzzled and replied, “We are doing all we can for him and we will continue to do so.”

“I know that." I reassured him, as I reached back and laid a hand against the tank, “You’ve done a great job. I just need to ensure it continues after I leave.”

“Leave?” he questioned.

“My squad is scheduled to leave planet as soon as possible,” I explained to the doctor, “we’ve been called back for an urgent mission.”

“Without your XO?” the doctor asked his surprise clearly evident.

“I don’t have a choice,” I said, running a hand across my braids.

“I know Major,” he reassured me, “Let’s sit down,” gesturing to the chair next to K’eegan. He pulled a third one over and sat, “I’m sure you would like to discuss the Captain and his care while you are gone.”

“Please,” I said, sitting down in the last empty chair, between my sister and the doctor.

“Now, as we mentioned earlier, Captain Jorgan is getting better,” the Doctor reiterated, “In fact, if he continues to improve at this rate, we may be able to take him out of the kolto tank in the next few days.”

That was good news! Or it least it would have been if I were going to be here! Stupid mission! “That’s good,” I managed to agree.

“He may be unconscious for a time after removal,” he explained as he went through Aric’s chart. “We’ll bring him around slowly.”

I nodded and asked, “What is his long term prognosis?”

Reaching out, K’eegan held my hand in support. Glancing at her, she offered me a tiny encouraging smile.

“Let’s start with the very good,” Jayd said, as we thumbed through the data on his pad, “The Captain’s arm has healed well. After some therapy, he should regain total use of the limb and in fact it should be stronger than his other.”

“That is good news,” I readily agreed. I felt a tiny bit of tension leaving my body.

“As for his lungs,” the doctor continued, “As you know he took a blaster bolt to the chest, doing extensive damage to the area.”

“Yes,” I agree softly, clutching my sister’s hand in fear.

“He’s suffered some scarring to his lungs, he’ll have reduced lung capacity and he’ll be more susceptible to viruses and bacteria.”

I bit my lip, waiting for him to finish.

“In the future he’ll need to be careful but all this things considered,” he said, “he’s extremely lucky.”

‘Thank the gods,’ I thought, as I closed my eyes in relief. Working up my courage, I finally asked about the injury that concerned me the most, “And his back?”

Shaking his head the doctor admitted, “I don’t know.”

K’eegan pulled my shaking body into a tight hug and asked for me, “Please explain.”

“The injury has healed well as far as we can tell at this point,” Jayd explained, “And the swelling has begun to recede, which is promising. My only concern are the nerves, they are so unpredictable. We’ll know more once he’s out of the tank and we can run a few tests.”

“So, you’re just being cautious,” K’eegan asked to clarify.

“Exactly,” the doctor agreed, “I won’t make promises I can’t keep.”

I could understand that. I’d rather he was optimistically cautious, rather than making grandiose promises that didn’t come to fruition. “Thank you,” I said, softly.

“Just doing my job,” he said, with a grin. “He has a long road of recovery and therapy in front of him, but I’m guardedly optimistic at this point.”

“A road I’m sure you’ll enjoy helping along,” K’eegan said, trying to lighten the moment, “Or if you don’t, I’d be happy to be a little more ‘hands on’ with my assistance,” she added, while leering at my naked mate.

I huffed and said, “I don’t think so! Keep your hands off.”

“Ruin all my fun,” she answered.

“Seriously K’eegan,” said to my twin. “I’m sure Corso doesn’t want to ‘share’ your help.”

She shook her head and grinned wickedly. “Hmmm, I don’t know about that, my Corso is always eager to help out others. I’m sure he’d share.”

“K’eegan,” I groaned, “Please!”

My twin and Nurse Hayle, who I wasn’t even aware was still in the room, burst out in laughter at my expense, even Dr. Jeffre smiled at my discomfort.

• 2 weeks later...

A/N: This story has finally caught up to what I have written. New chapters will be posted as I write them. Not a huge change.

So far, I've played Zane, my male trooper through the new content. Vish'amar'reno, my bounty hunter, is working on getting the Gravestone flying and worrying about Torian while she does it. While I've enjoyed KotFE, I won't play K'agan through until its closer to the time we get Aric back! The waiting is killing me.

Anyway, on the story!

Chapter 16

After a time, the doctor said, “On a serious note, you had something you wished to discuss with me?”

“Yes,” I replied, trying to ignore my sister, “As you heard earlier my squad and I have a mission, we’ll be leaving the planet shortly.”

“So soon?” K’eegan said.

“An urgent operation for command,” I explained, “Highly classified.”

“Fun,” my sister said, intrigued but she knew from previous experience I wouldn’t answer questions about my ops.

Looking to the doctor, I continued, “I needed to plan Aric’s care when I’m off-planet. You should be able to reach me by holo,” I handed him the frequency. “If you can’t reach me, K’eegan has insisted she’s staying while I’m gone. I’ll authorize her to make decisions in my stead if I’m unreachable.”

“And his family?” Jayd asked, curious.

“All off-planet,” I replied, “I’ve kept them informed about what’s happened but they live too far away to get here quickly.”

“Sounds like you’ve covered your bases,” the doctor said, “We’ll take good care of him while you’re gone.”

“Thank you,” I said, as I stood. Walking back to the kolto tank, I laid a gentle hand on the cold glass and asked, “Now if everyone doesn’t mind, can I get a few minutes alone with him before I ship out.”

Chagrined, they all stood and started for the door, “No problem,” Doctor Jeffre said, “K’eegan and I will step out so I can get her holo information.”

Finally the room was clear and I stood alone with Aric. Leaning forward I rested my head against the tank. Gods, I didn’t want to leave! A few tears streaked down my face. I knew he’d be ok but I hated leaving him behind and I detested doing this mission without him!

“Garza is sending us out on a rescue mission,” I told him. “She wouldn’t listen and believes we’re the best team for the job even without you.”

Shaking my head, I continued, “I disagreed with her but it didn’t do any good. We’re scheduled to leave the planet in a few hours at most. I bit my lip and tried to control my rampaging emotions. “Gods, I don’t want to go! I don’t want to leave you here! But I don’t have a choice.” A small smile flittered across my face. “The only bright spot in this whole thing, I won’t be leaving you alone…K’eegan is staying here.”

Though friends now, Aric and my sister hadn’t always liked each other, in fact at first, they despised each other. Their first meeting on Ord Mantel had NOT gone well. Aric had all but accused my sister of being a criminal, with a serious lack of respect for authority, while K’eegan thought the soldier had has head so far up his *** he couldn’t unbend to see past precious rules and policies. The situation hadn’t improved on Coruscant. My twin spent the whole time on planet trying to track down her ship, by any means necessary and my squad mate spent it angry and bitter, trying to track down the traitors.

It wasn’t until we crossed paths again on Taris that things finally began to change. On that rakghoul and swamp infested planet, they each managed to earn a measure of the others respect. We had each others backs, as we fought monsters across the planet and saving soldiers and civilians alike. The pair realized, they each had the habit of putting other's safety before their own. Maddeningly to me, the pair put my welfare before their own. Apparently, they thought I was incapable of keeping myself out of harm's way. They bonded over the trials and tribulations of keeping me safe and in one piece.

I watched the friendship grow between them as we planet hopped across the galaxy. We watched each other's backs on the field of battle and drank the darkness way in the cantinas, when it all got to be to much. By the time we reached Hoth, their friendship was cemented.

"She'll have your back while I'm gone." I'm not sure who I was trying to reassure, Aric or myself. I knew my sister would do her best to look out for my mate but it wouldn't be the same as doing it myself.

I watched him float in the kolto tank, wounds slowly healing, the realization of how fragile life could be, slammed into me again. I could have easily lost him on the Gauntlet. Without Elara's stubbornness, he would have died. Now I was going out on another dangerous mission, without him and I wasn't guaranteed a return trip. I could very easily be killed in the line of duty and still be robbed of the chance to tell him exactly how I felt. I needed to confess my feelings. I hoped the old wives tale, that someone in a coma could hear what was happening in their surroundings was true.

Closing my eyes, I took a steadying breath and tried to calm my nerves. I could face down a platoon of Imperial troops without fear but admitting my love to my mate left me a shaking mess. Opening my eyes, I stared at his inert figure and gulped down some air. I decided to lay my cards on the table.

"Aric, I love you so much."

"Gods, I wished that you could hear me, so I wouldn't have to do this again later." Leaning my forehead against the cool tank, as the tears streaked down, I broke the silence, when I said, "You're my life mate."

After a time, I broke the silence. "Don't you dare die while I'm gone." That was my biggest fear, if I wasn't here to take care of him, I could lose him! "I don't think I could take it if I made it back only to find you'd died. I need something to hold on to."

I wiped away my tears and stood up straight. Looking up at his handsome face, I said, "Keep healing and I'll be back soon."

Turning I quickly, I walked out of the room, while I was still able to, and closed the door behind me. In the hall, I was met by the waiting arms of my twin, who pulled me into a much needed hug.

"Everything will be fine," she whispered in my ear.

"I know."

"Aric will heal."

"I know."

"And you'll come back."

"I know."

"And next time you spill your guts, your mate will be awake to hear you."

"What?!" I jumped out of her arms and glared at her. She'd been eavesdropping! Damn her!

"I said," she smirked at me, "Your MATE will be awake."

"You listened!" I accused her.

"No, I didn't."

My irritating sister just grinned as I glared at her. "Then how did you know?"

"K'agan," she said, as she shook her head in mock sympathy. "You're so obvious."

"No, I'm not," I denied.

"Yes," my twin said, "You are."

Crossing my arms over my chest, I refused to argue with her.

"And if didn't know before, I definitely know now!" she said, triumphantly.

"K'eegan!"

Laughing at me, my twin tried to reassure me. "Lucky for you, the only one more oblivious than you, is your lovesick mate."

Now I was outraged for Aric! The only one allowed to insult him was me! Wait! That wasn't right!

She just laughed harder. "You two really are a pair!"

I'd finally had enough!

"I got one word for you," I said, "Or rather, one name. Corso."

That shut her up.

I almost laughed at the look of confusion on her face. She still hadn't realized what he meant to her. And she was calling me names!

"I thought so," I said. "I guess it makes sense."

It was her turn to be puzzled. "What makes sense?"

Being evasive, I said, "You're my twin after all."

"Spill it out K'agan."

"Nope," I popped the "O" to aggravate my sister. Leaning back against the wall, I said, "You've got to figure this one out on your own. Hopefully he's patient."

"Whatever," she said from across the small hall, "You don't know anything."

I just smiled. She wasn't getting me to tell her anything that way. She never cued me in to the fact that Aric was my mate. Why should I tell her Corso was hers?

Still smirking at her, I said, "Think what you want."

"I will," she said, ending the argument.

Standing silently, we watched each other until we both cracked and smiled kindly. Reaching out, we pulled the other into another hug.

"You'll take care of him?" I said, softly.

"Just as you would," she tried to reassure me.

"I can't lose him."

"You won't."

As she squeezed me tight, she said, "Come back to us."

Now it was my turn to assure her. "I will."

"In one piece," she added, as we broke apart.

"No promises," I said, as I put my helmet on. "But I'll try."

"Thanks K'eegan." There is no way I'd be able to leave if she wasn't here. "I couldn't do this without you."

"You're welcome," my twin said to me, as she made a shooing gesture. "Go save the galaxy. I got everything here taken care of."

Nodding, I took a deep a breath, I started to walk away. Stopping halfway down the hall, I turned to say something to K'eegan but I just caught sight of her back as she went into Aric's room. With a soft smile, I continued down the hall and made my way out of the building.

As K'eegan said, I had a galaxy to save...

TBC

A/N: Let me know what you think. Review please!

Love the update! Oh, I can't imagine how difficult it is for K'agan to leave Aric while he's still in the tank. I love the dynamic between the sisters and I've heard twins/triplets have a special bond.....it would make sense that each could tell the other's feelings quite easily. Can't wait for the next part!!

Like you, I haven't taken Mallay through the new content because I'm just not ready for her and Aric to be parted for who knows how long.