Star Fortress Companions

Ner_idia

because you only get them after you complete the mission, can't just give them to everyone.....

Even Hexid isn't just given to everyone. These days you have to get an achievement, which if I remember correctly means you have to do 40 flashpoints.

Now, if the OP means having to run all the Star Fortress missions once to unlock for every character ... I'd hesitate to agree with that. Having to run the Veteran version a certain number of times ... perhaps 5 times for each planet ... that would seem more reasonable.

She was DvL not Star Fortress.

Ranos was DvL. Hexid was first given for a United Forces achievement when the servers merged and now she is available from an achievement that requires 40 flashpoints.

Edit to add: I see no reason why the Star Fortress companions could not be made available from an achievement that requires a similar amount of effort within the Star Fortresses themselves and I say this as someone who has all of the SF companions on 34 characters.

Edited by Elessara

Ranos was DvL. Hexid was first given for a United Forces achievement when the servers merged and now she is available from an achievement that requires 40 flashpoints.

Edit to add: I see no reason why the Star Fortress companions could not be made available from an achievement that requires a similar amount of effort within the Star Fortresses themselves and I say this as someone who has all of the SF companions on 34 characters.

She was originally DvL, depending on who won, but the light won, and we got Ranos, then they brought hexid back and gave her out with the UF.

The difference with the Starfortress companions is they are part of the story, you meet them during the story, which is why you end up with them. And anyone who completes the story will get them. I don't see why they'd unlock them as an achievement, it's not as if we don't have enough companions anyway, and even after you get these, they don't do very much. Seems like a lot of wasted effort for nothing.

Edited by DarkTergon

Darth Hexid would have been the reward instead of Master Ranos if the dark side had been victorious that summer. Anyway, the resistance cell leader companions are tied to the content. In fact, the majority of companions are tied to the player specific content, except for obvious rewards that have little if any connection to the story: Nico Okarr, Shae Vizla, Master Ranos, Darth Hexid, and Paxton Rall.

As I have both Ranos AND Hexid, I am well aware that Hexid was originally one of the options in DvL. That became irrelevant the moment they made her available through other means. Also, Hexid was not only available during the United Forces event. She is currently available to anyone who does a set number of flashpoints, uprisings, starfighter missions, warzones, or operations with the activity finder (see: Achievements->Legacy->Feats of Strength->With A Little Help From My Friends).

It's not like you can't use a communicator to summon Shae, Nico, Ranos, Hexid, Paxton early and still do their mission because yes they all have recruitment missions, short though they may be. And Star Fortresses are a tangent to the story not a main part of it.

Honestly though whether or not they ever make the SF companions unlockable through achievements doesn't matter to me. I guess it might be best to say I'm simply unopposed to the idea and I find the current arguments against to be unconvincing.

It's not like you can't use a communicator to summon Shae, Nico, Ranos, Hexid, Paxton early and still do their mission because yes they all have recruitment missions, short though they may be. And Star Fortresses are a tangent to the story not a main part of it.

I suppose that's true, although we're already drowning in companions as it is lol

we're already drowning in companions as it is

Good point.

The first time I played through Knights of the Fallen Empire, I had a lot of fun recruiting a huge stable of companions.

When I did the Alliance Alert "Bonds of Duty," I was very careful to choose the storyline options that would bring both Rusk and Skadge into the Alliance ... In hindsight, I am hard pressed to say why, since I never liked Rusk and I hated Skadge's guts. But at the time, I was on a roll, expanding my companions list as far as I could possibly go.

After all was said and done, though ... Since you can only make use of nine companions at any given time (one accompanying you and eight performing Crew Skills), I became vividly aware that most of the companions I'd recruited had absolutely nothing to do.

I completed all six Star Fortress Heroics, and I thought it would be really cool to have companions of races that we'd never had as companions before ... But, again, I soon found that I had nothing for them to do.

Personally, I'm perfectly fine with the developers making the Star Fortress companions unlockable through achievements or whatever. It's not as if those companions are going to do anything for you that you can't already do with your other existing companions, anyway ...

The first time I played through Knights of the Fallen Empire, I had a lot of fun recruiting a huge stable of companions.

When I did the Alliance Alert "Bonds of Duty," I was very careful to choose the storyline options that would bring both Rusk and Skadge into the Alliance ... In hindsight, I am hard pressed to say why, since I never liked Rusk and I hated Skadge's guts. But at the time, I was on a roll, expanding my companions list as far as I could possibly go.

My first run though I saved every companion, recruited them all, etc, just to have them all, and see how it was, on a different toon, i took all the kill, etc options ,again, just to see how it's done. Now, it's meh, depends on mood at the time, or wether i like the companion, or if they have any connnection to the toon i'm running.

Edited by DarkGruffalo

I'm fine with leaving the companions unlocked only through the missions, but they need to completely lower the difficulty of the unlock mission (Heroic) so that the companions can be unlocked Solo. Those heroics are so far from any relevance to any current content that finding someone to run through them to complete them is next to impossible, same thing with the final mission of Shroud and Seeker droids.