SWOTOR on a 13in macbook pro

hhhhh

Hello I am a SWOTOR player and I play on an alienware. However I have a work pc [late 2012 intel hd 4000 graphics 1024MB]. I would like to play on bootcamp. If I devoted 285GB Storage to my bootcamp windows 7 64bit and all of my 4GB 1600 MHz DRR3 and my 2.5 GHz intel core i5 to SWOTOR could I play it on medium to medium high?

Hello I am a SWOTOR player and I play on an alienware. However I have a work pc [late 2012 intel hd 4000 graphics 1024MB]. I would like to play on bootcamp. If I devoted 285GB Storage to my bootcamp windows 7 64bit and all of my 4GB 1600 MHz DRR3 and my 2.5 GHz intel core i5 to SWOTOR could I play it on medium to medium high?

I'm no expert, but without a dedicated GPU, I'm going to predict that your results will be subpar.

I play on the discontinued Mac book pro 17in at max i play on medium at best but it has lag, If you swap the settings to low the graphics dont change much... no you wont beable to see the threads of grass blades but everything else wll be there... no you wont beable to see the split ends on the hair of thana vesh but the strands will still show up... Point being if youre not nit picky like me just run it on low, everything will still look great IMO and you wont have any lag issues.

that is, if lag was your problem. If graphics are your issue then you might want to buy an alienware PC, ive thought about doing this myself. I just dont feel like paying $2.4k on a computer to play 1 game and thats the sole purpose of getting the PC... Id rather wait until Hell freezes over and the game comes out on the Mac like W.o.W

that is, if lag was your problem. If graphics are your issue then you might want to buy an alienware PC, ive thought about doing this myself. I just dont feel like paying $2.4k on a computer to play 1 game and thats the sole purpose of getting the PC... Id rather wait until Hell freezes over and the game comes out on the Mac like W.o.W

I run the game maxed on a clearance pre-built PC that I got. You can get a rig that runs everything on highest settings and constant 60fps for $1000 assembled, far less if you built it yourself. There's no need to blow two grand on Alienware. If you want a warrantied gaming rig I'd recommend CyberPower PC or someone else loooooooooong before I'd recommend Alienware. Save your hard earned money.

As stated it won't play at Medium graphics with that graphics "card", you will get low out of it and that is it tbh, as mentioned it is probably fine for most people, you just won't have shadows, etc. No integrated chip is going to run that well.

AC2 is an old game released on Windows in 2010, 2011 on OSX, so not exactly high level games.

SWTOR is another step up altogether. I have a Lenovo laptop, with a separate Nvidia Graphics cards, i5 2.5 GHz,16 GB Ram, etc and it struggles with Medium/high settings, it could be played, but it gets choppy especially if there are any other players on screen. I have it set to medium, like I say with an NVidia card dedicated.

Your limiting factor is the HD4000, it is the basic chipset for graphics, you may do OK , but looking at reviews you will probably get around 20-25fps at medium high settings. at low nearer 60fps. Let us know though

I play sometimes on my Surface Pro 2.

4GB Ram, i5-4200U, SSD.

With only 4GB ram, you have to run the settings like this: Texture Q: low, Shader Complexity: High, AA: Off, Character Level fo Detail: Low, Texture Anisotropy: low, Shadows: low, Atlasing: low, Grass: 100, Trees: 100, Character limit: medium, Bloom and Depth of field: off.

Because the Video memory is actually taken from the Ram, you DONT want to turn the Texture Quality/Anisotropy/Shadows any higher than low, othewise you will have lots of caching/texture reloading issues, 4GB is just not enough.

It plays well on 1920x1080 (constant 30fps), dropping the Res to 1600x900 gives constant 45-60 FPS. You just wont notice the resolution chage on a 10" Screen. Maybe with a 13" you might notice it.

Even if SWTOR is the only game installed, the OS takes some space, SWTOR itself takes about 2GB of RAM, the OS needs to map all the Hardware in your memory, consuming even more MBs, at the end, your HD4000 will be able to take about 500MB for Video Memory, which is not enough if you use better textures or turn on the AF Filter, and forget the Shadows they are just broken AND It applies full screen real time shadows, which destroys the HD4000 and uses A LOT of memory.

External GPUs just dont have the power/bandwith to be able to game, sorry :/

I have seen others do it so I will test. If there are critical issues I will report on thread. If not then I won't report. An external graphics card meant for gaming or more RAM or DDR3 will most certainly improve performance.

I have seen others do it so I will test. If there are critical issues I will report on thread. If not then I won't report. An external graphics card meant for gaming or more RAM or DDR3 will most certainly improve performance.
An external graphics card would only help if you have a bus fast enough to the card, at the moment there are only one or two available, the basic ones are not good enough, the better ones are going to cost you $500+. The interface would have to really high speed and most laptops wont have such an interface (again I looked at it, you need eSATA IIRC, and no laptop I have seen has one that will support an external card). Extra RAM will help of course, but you will still run into issues. Fundamentally you are asking a HD4000 processor to run 3d games, whilst sharing main RAM. All those issues slow down speed.

I know it is not what you wanted to hear but truth is it will do a job whilst you out and about on low settings, with some medium improvements. I doubt you are going to get better than that. Also note your PC will run extremely hot, MBP have no fans IIRC and so you may get stability issues too.